New LA Times Article: Lakers Await Payton's Move

New LA Times Article: Lakers Await Payton's Move

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:35 pm

Another day, another scenario, and the Lakers held steady on Saturday to the hope Gary Payton could be content with less money in Los Angeles, and that Karl Malone would not grow impatient in Salt Lake City while Payton chose his career path.

Even as the Milwaukee Bucks apparently pondered the possibilities of sign-and-trade deals involving Payton with the Portland Trail Blazers and Indiana Pacers, and as the game's headline free agents — Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal — prepared to roll through Texas, the Lakers awaited the call from Payton that might flick the first off-season domino.

Aaron Goodwin, Payton's agent, spoke to General Manager Mitch Kupchak on Saturday. Goodwin said that he would like to give the Lakers their answer within 48 hours, and that he'd wished the Bucks would work toward a sign-and-trade with the Lakers.

Of all the possible destinations for his client, Goodwin said, "If I was a betting guy, I'd say the most attractive place for Gary is in L.A."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers6jul06a,1,4880666.story?coll=la-headlines-sports
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:41 pm

Well guys, we have 48 hours to see if the glove fits the hands of L.A...

Don't be too tense people, I predict two new Laker uni's next year with Malone on the back of one, and Payton on the back of the other...

:spineyes:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:57 pm

LD,

In your honest opinion, do you think we will get Payton with a signing or a sign and trade???
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:05 am

Sign. What do we need to do a sign and trade for when you know he's deeply interested in the gold at this point...?

As if coming to play alongside Kobe and Shaq arn't enough, now you know Karl Malone is headed the same way for sure if you sign. Come on man, you know we getting Payton and Malone.

So I feel a sign and trade won't happen. But you never know.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Pucking Loosair on Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:17 am

GP is probably financially set for the rest of his life..whats a few mill less for one year gonna do. pfft damn ballers..
Pucking Loosair

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:26 am

LD,

I'm asking the question because in all the responses of Payton and Aaron Goodwin, first they state that Gary is only interested in winning a championship and money is not that important, then contradicts themselves in the same article by stating that they wish the Bucks will make a sign and trade with the Lakers.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby shaqass on Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:00 am

I think Gary is human. If he can get title and money he won't cry :man10: :man10: :man10:

Personaly I think that a trade is highly possible.
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:14 am

no trades..... if thats what Payton wants forget it
Lets just pay MALONE more money and try to get Andre Miller...or just pick-up PIKE .... we don't need to lose any of our young talent that we have already spent so much time on developing.
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:44 am

I think that we dont need to trade anyone if he wants a sign and trade.. He should have all the money he needs for now, and all he needs is a championship... and he knows, comin to LA is the answer.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:21 am

He doesn't need any more money, he already has 3 houses (one in Vegas, Oakland, and Seattle) and one of them were on MTV cribs, so there is no need for a sign and trade. Financially, he's set for awhile.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 9:53 am

JSM,

I saw that episode of MTV Cribs where he showed his house in Vegas. GP had a nice looking pool with a slide. He definitely does not need the money. Just take the MLE GP.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:11 am

Kobe_One_Kenobi_8, I hear you. I don't see a sign and trade happening, but hopefully it won't. What do the Lakers have that Kupchak will agree to a deal for Payton when Payton already has a high interest in coming?

You see my view on this?
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:25 am

I got you.

I'm just hoping that this high interest displayed by Payton is not a con job.
That he is in for the title and not the money. Words are only words. Numerous times people have said this and that and does not commit to it at the end. That's why I made the question of whether he would evetually take the MLE or ask the Lakers to sign and trade him. Because he could be saying that he doesn't care about the money and just the title, but at the end will just look at the money.

I just have a hard time trusting people I guess. I'm not satisfied with his promises and words. I'll be content when he signs on the dotted line.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:32 am

Come on man, if Payton gives the ok, that pretty much locks up Malone and Payton and then they know for sure that you will have; Bryant, Shaq, Payton and Malone at the court at the same time. No money is worth the greatness of that squad. That is gold baby, not green, but gold!
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:41 am

I know that you have to be insane to not accept a possibility of playing with Kobe, Shaq, and Karl, but you never know what people might do around money. Remember that money is the root of all evil in my opinion.

I know that Payton is not that dumb and will jump on the opportunity to sign with the Lakers.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 1:51 pm

Yes money may be alot, but when is the last time you have seen a team that had equal or more talent than a Laker team which consists of: Payton, Malone, Kobe n Shaq?

Oh yea, that's right... The last time you saw that are those older dynastys... Where they won championships.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:51 pm

I guess when Goodwin made the statement about wanting the Bucks to make a sign and trade with the Lakers he is hoping for the possibility of having both the money and the titles at the same time.

Logically thinking if you are Payton's agent, you would want to fulfill the wishes of your client which is win the title and at the same time get as much money as possible. That's why the possiblity of a sign and trade still exist at this point. I'M NOT SAYING ITS THE ONLY POSSIBILITY, ALL I'M SAYING THAT A SIGN AND TRADE IS STILL A POSSIBLE HOPE FOR GOODWIN AND PAYTON.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby Vasashi17 on Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:16 pm

Definitely agree with you Kobe-one. Goodwin is also the agent of Lebron and I feel since he landed Lebron and all the hype surrounding him, it all went to his head. I feel Payton just wants to sign, but Goodwin feels like he could just wheel n deal now guaranteeing the Glove that he could get him more money. But when he finally comes to his senses he knows GP belongs in LA. I mean what agent wouldnt want to be involved in LA where he could possibly represent even more high profile athletes. Give it some time, he's on an ego high, but when he finally comes down to his senses (approx. 10 more days hopefully sooner), GP will be in a Laker uni along with Malone and i'm hittin the mall n gett'n those jerseys. I wonder what number Karl will wear cause the good ol' #32 is taken and it won't MAGICally reappear for him.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Return to Lakers Discussion