News on Horry and back up BIG MEN

News on Horry and back up BIG MEN

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:05 pm

from LA Daily News

The Lakers soon will have 12 players under contract, though they still could use a veteran big man to back up both Malone and O'Neal.

Eric Chenoweth, a 7-footer playing in the summer league, is one option. Clippers free agent Sean Rooks, a former Laker, also will get some consideration.

Meanwhile, in a plush Houston suburb, Robert Horry waits and watches with interest. The Lakers denied him a $5.3 million option, but Horry said he'd swallow his pride if they spent the savings on someone the caliber of Payton or Malone. He could return for about half that amount, but the Lakers' luxury-tax concerns probably will prevent that from happening.

"If they call, which I doubt it, it will be more about money than anything," Horry said, "because it wouldn't be wise on my part to take less money. Unless I get a lot of years. You've got to compensate for something."

There are questions yet about whether the Lakers, once built with role players such as Horry, can survive the ego overload of a Hall of Fame quartet. Horry wonders, too.

"I don't know," he said. "It's like when the Rockets did that, they got Clyde (Drexler), Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon) and (Charles) Barkley, it was always some underlying jealousy there.

"I don't care what no athlete says, a lot of athletes are jealous of other athletes. It's going to come down to how much they put that aside. If they're able to do that, they're fine. It will be interesting."
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby Leeds on Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:22 pm

I think Chenowith will b a reasonable option,he´s doing fine on the summer league,and he could bring rebounds and blocks,no need to look any further,we´ve already have a decent backup.He´s very big!!
Leeds

Postby PlayaHateUs on Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:41 pm

Chenowith will be a good enough back up center. he doesn't have to do much. all he has to do is hold his own while The Big Fella's on the bench. he'll be another 7-footer, something we've been lacking, and he's from southern california. he'll be right at home.
PlayaHateUs

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:18 pm

Interesting...

Well it almost looks like it is all about the money and his daughter for Horry...
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Re:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jr

Postby honeebabes on Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:04 pm

Is Kareem's son playing for the Lakers? :boxing1:
honeebabes

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:26 pm

KAREEM's son is COMEDY!!!!! he is a blunder of errors!!! I saw him play at the SPL and it was SO FUNNY!!!..

There was this incident where he tried to dribble the ball behind his back and it GOT STUCK on his back!!!! LOL... he is just too funny to watch..

its sad how genes are passed.... I think he got mostly his mom's genes rather than his dads....

I'll tell you what.... he would make for a great MASCOT!!!! LOL... j/k
#1_Kobe_fan

Return to Lakers Discussion