Nick Young Discussion: Torn Thumb Ligament, Out 8 Weeks (59)

Re: Nick Young Discussion: the Swag is here to stay!

Postby syl on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 am

LakersN4 wrote:
syl wrote:.....so, why arent people considering him starting SF material???....

He's definitely starter material, he just plays better as a 6th man. He worked as a starter last season because he could be the 1st option.

Klay Thompson:
18/3/3 42% 3 pt FG, 55.5% TS 14.3 PER

Nick Young:
18/2/1.5 39 % 3pt FG, 56.4 % TS 16.0 PER

While Klay gets a max extension next season we'll still have Swaggy locked in for MLE money :jam2:

yea, it makes sense, his style needs that freedom for one-on-one that would only be afforded him with kobe and lin on the bench resting.....look fwd to seeing this plan play out and we have a super-bench to throw at opponents
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby syl on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:38 am

....maybe in certain 4th qtr moments we can throw at teams a kobe/swag 1-2 punch, just wanna see this a lil
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:09 am

Good to have him back. :man10:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:08 am

He'll be the 6th man, but I bet he's going to be the one finishing games.

Lin / Kobe / Young / Randle or Boozer / Hill

Randle/Boozer probably determined on game flow for that night.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:28 am

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby jlkr on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:09 pm

During the run of the game in the first 3 quarters, look for Swaggy to team with Kelly as the scorers for the 2nd unit. Then look for Swaggy on the floor with Kobe to close out games. Team with Lin who's also unafraid of the moment. Decent potential for end of game fireworks here.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:08 pm

jlkr wrote:During the run of the game in the first 3 quarters, look for Swaggy to team with Kelly as the scorers for the 2nd unit. Then look for Swaggy on the floor with Kobe to close out games. Team with Lin who's also unafraid of the moment. Decent potential for end of game fireworks here.

Boozer will most likely start, pairing Nick with Randle early. Currently without Marshall, Young will be the lead on offense. Although Randle possesses skills on the 1 on 1, with his size and speed, and should be even more effective in the pick and roll, something we didn't see too much of in Summer League because Mark Madsen and co. were too busy implementing some stupid Adleman offense that takes years of chemistry to get right.

Nick is a potent scorer, and will command respect from the defense. From what I've seen, he's a willing passer/creator given the chance, and would work well with Randle.

Once Randle gets his NBA legs under him, develops a jumpshot, and plays under control, then he'll earn his starting spot. If Boozer slides to the bench, that'll create an even more experienced bench.

The Spurs offense is simple. Pick and rolls, off ball screens, inside out, and weave plays. Combined with excellent coaching, chemistry, and buy in from the team, it makes active defenses like the Heat, look foolish. There's no need for us to run any special type of Triangle or Princeton offense, just keep it simple.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby shoe on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:07 am

He's on the Jim Rome show now
shoe

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:06 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/40107/drew-legend-young-looks-forward-to-season#more
LOS ANGELES -- Nick Young's popularity around the NBA has grown thanks in part to his self-appointed "Swaggy P" nickname. But long before that handle became synonymous with Young's high-scoring, light-hearted exploits, he has been known as "I Am Legend" at The Drew League, a summer basketball league in Los Angeles.

"I've been a one-man show since I started at the Drew League," Young said on Sunday, explaining his other moniker. "I've been playing at the Drew for a while. I never played with no NBA people on my team or nothing. That's why."

[+] EnlargeNick Young
Jayne Kamin-Oncea/USA TODAY Sports
Nick Young is glad to be coming back to the Lakers after signing a four-year deal this offseason, and even has given himself a new moniker.
Now there are plenty of NBA players lining up to play in the league known simply as "The Drew." After Young's team won thanks to 26 points from him Sunday (on 21 shots), there were six current or former pros playing in the game after his in Baron Davis, Metta World Peace, Terrence Ross, Jonas Valanciunas, Amir Johnson and Rashad McCants.

"It's most definitely growing each year," Young said of the league that he has been playing in for an estimated 6-7 years. "We get players from everywhere coming out and it's in a bigger gym. Nike is behind it now, you get free Nikes now. Back then you had to bring your own shoes."

Nike started sponsoring the league in 2013 and moved the venue from Charles Drew Junior High School to King Drew Magnet High School of Medicine and Science to accommodate more fans.

Young used to play in "The Drew" with his brother. These days his team, M.H.P. (which stands for Most Hated Players), is coached by his father, Charles Young Jr., features his cousin Adrian "Big Meat" Pascascio on the roster, and won't go a game without his mother, Mae, cheering on from the stands.

"I'm from L.A,," Young said after saying goodbye to close to two dozen people before exiting the gym Sunday. "It's home. It's like a family up here."

Young is hoping his tenure with the Los Angeles Lakers will start to feel the same way. The Lakers signed Young to a four-year contract extension worth $21.5 million this offseason.

"Of course they made me a priority by giving me four years and that's something that I wanted really, just to be part of the team," said Young, coming off a season in which he averaged a career-high 17.9 points per game.

Despite his strong individual showing last season, Young said he knew the chances of him returning to L.A. hinged on the Lakers' pursuit of Carmelo Anthony.

[+] EnlargeNick Young
Courtesy Charlie Lopez/Nike
Nick Young, whose team in the Drew League is coached by his father, Charles Young Jr., right, has participated in the league for at least six years.
"I wasn't sure," Young said. "We had a couple other offers, but we were waiting. Everybody was really waiting on what Melo was going to do and it all depended on what Melo was going to do. Obviously he went back home and I guess I was secondary, but hey, I'm here."

Davis, a fellow L.A. native who went to UCLA before later playing for the Los Angeles Clippers, said that having homegrown talent go on to become NBA players in the L.A. market has an impact on the community.

"Nick's finally starting to get his credit and it's good that the Lakers stepped up to the plate and showed that they wanted him to be here," Davis said. "I think he has a growing brand and he's a young player that can do some things. It means a lot for the community to have local guys on the Lakers, because it means something to the Drew, it means something to the little kids growing up here that want to play basketball, aspire to be basketball players. When you got some L.A. guys on your local home team, it makes a big difference."

Young said playing alongside Kobe Bryant has made an even bigger difference for him personally.

"He's been great, really," Young said. "He's been like my mentor, really, right now. He's been calling, texting me, talking to me, motivating me. I think that's big. Growing up, who would have thought Kobe would be the one doing all that? I didn't ever think I'd be working out with Kobe or talking to him."

Pascascio, who also works as Young's assistant, said he has noticed the change in his cousin since he joined the Lakers.

"He grew a lot," Pascascio said. "He matured a lot last year, learning from Kobe. Learning more than just getting buckets. He did other things. It was good. And he was looking forward to coming back."

The Lakers' other offseason moves have only added to Young's anticipation.

"I think it played out all right," Young said. "I don't think nobody was expecting Jeremy Lin to be here this year or Carlos Boozer, and we just ended up getting Byron Scott [as coach]."

Scott, of course, served as a television analyst on the Lakers' flagship station, Time Warner Cable SportsNet, last season where he inspired more than a few YouTube clips with his impersonation of Young.

"I heard all different kinds of stuff about Byron," Young said with a smile. "I just remember him doing my little Swaggy P impression. ... We'll talk about that. Now I have a chance to talk trash about it every day."

Young doesn't mind that the Lakers are already being counted out of the playoffs in what's sure to be a deep Western Conference next season, either.

"We ain't worried about nothing out here," Young said. "We're just going to go out here and do what we do. We like to be underdogs."

And he even has a new self-appointed nickname to reflect his upcoming role as Bryant's sidekick.

"Batman needs Robin," Young said. "I'm here, 'The Boy Wonder.' The Boy Wonder is here. That's what I'm here for."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Nick Young Discussion:Kobe= Batman, Nick= Boy Wonder (57)

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:28 am

I love this guy. My favorite move of the offseason; signing Swaggy. No doubt. Glad he's home. Look forward to seeing him have a great year.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am

Boy Jordan could of used some guidance from nick.. Love the guys attitude and his game. He is the closest to Kobe that I have seen except he is more jovial on the court. Glad he is back.
Despite his strong individual showing last season, Young said he knew the chances of him returning to L.A. hinged on the Lakers' pursuit of Carmelo Anthony.

"I wasn't sure," Young said. "We had a couple other offers, but we were waiting. Everybody was really waiting on what Melo was going to do and it all depended on what Melo was going to do. Obviously he went back home and I guess I was secondary, but hey, I'm here."
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:59 am

^So true. It would have helped us, too. We would have a PG rotation of Lin, Farmar, Nash...I would have been a lot more confident in that rotation as opposed to what we have now.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:10 pm

yeah, and it wasn't like he got paid. He got $4.2M/2years, something the Room Exception could have easily covered.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm

If all things end up the same, and I think in Jordan's case they would have, the Lakers would have paid him maybe half as much as he got from the Clippers. I don't appreciate the attitude with which he left, but Jordan left to get paid.

If he stayed he probably would have gotten a 2 year deal worth the minimum or something.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:12 pm

therealdeal wrote:If all things end up the same, and I think in Jordan's case they would have, the Lakers would have paid him maybe half as much as he got from the Clippers. I don't appreciate the attitude with which he left, but Jordan left to get paid.

If he stayed he probably would have gotten a 2 year deal worth the minimum or something.

^^ Probably true. I do wish he had stuck around though. Love Nick's self-appointed Boy Wonder title to Kobe's Batman, btw. Good stuff. I am happy that we were able to retain Swaggy - he's a fun character.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:27 pm

:jam2: :bow: HA! I love that article!!!! Nick has so grown on me with his personality, game and "wanting to be a Laker" and digging Kobe, knowing he's only going to make him better. He wants to be better. :jam2:

But more than any of that…… "Most Hated Players" and "Adrian 'Big Meat' Pascascio"

:man10: :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:If all things end up the same, and I think in Jordan's case they would have, the Lakers would have paid him maybe half as much as he got from the Clippers. I don't appreciate the attitude with which he left, but Jordan left to get paid.

^^ Probably true. I do wish he had stuck around though. Love Nick's self-appointed Boy Wonder title to Kobe's Batman, btw. Good stuff. I am happy that we were able to retain Swaggy - he's a fun character.

I wish he'd stuck around too. A Lin/Farmar/Clarkson point guard rotation is an athletic lineup and could keep up with most rotations I think. But oh well. Hopefully he finds out things aren't great over on the other side of the hall way.

I'm definitely loving Nick's attitude as well. The guy is so contagious. He brings fun to every game unlike any Laker we've had since Pau Gasol. Just interesting things, ideas, shots that he takes and makes. A lot of fun and I'm glad he's back for 4 more years.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Oh, so that's what his tweet yesterday "the Boy Wonder" meant. Really didn't make sense with no context, I thought he was just being his weird self.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm

I always felt like Nick wanted to be a LAKER specifically. Jordan just wanted to be back in the NBA and liked Los Angeles. He never struck me as a guy with any allegiance to the team and he's proven that to be true twice now. It would have been nice if he thought otherwise, but I'm not going to cry over losing someone that didn't really care about the Purple and Gold.

Also the whole not wanting to wait brought back memories of Ego Ears, so good riddance.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:00 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

I wish he'd stuck around too. A Lin/Farmar/Clarkson point guard rotation is an athletic lineup and could keep up with most rotations I think. But oh well. Hopefully he finds out things aren't great over on the other side of the hall way.

I'm definitely loving Nick's attitude as well. The guy is so contagious. He brings fun to every game unlike any Laker we've had since Pau Gasol. Just interesting things, ideas, shots that he takes and makes. A lot of fun and I'm glad he's back for 4 more years.

I think you'd have to be a fun and interesting cat to get to play footsies under the covers and wherever else with "Iggy" :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby LakerJack on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:48 am

Indiana will be looking for a replacement for George. Could the Lakers get a couple of first rounders for Young? Good chance the Pacers picks could be lottery.
All time Lakers team: Magic, Kobe, West, Worthy and Chamberlain.
LakerJack

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:49 am

LakerJack wrote:Indiana will be looking for a replacement for George. Could the Lakers get a couple of first rounders for Young? Good chance the Pacers picks could be lottery.

:nono2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:07 am

lakerfan2 wrote:yeah, and it wasn't like he got paid. He got $4.2M/2years, something the Room Exception could have easily covered.

We ate into the RE for Kelly.. If I had to choose I'd keep Kelly over Farmar anyway.
LakersN4

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:10 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:yeah, and it wasn't like he got paid. He got $4.2M/2years, something the Room Exception could have easily covered.

We ate into the RE for Kelly.. If I had to choose I'd keep Kelly over Farmar anyway.

Why? We already had Boozer/Randle at PF, and Hill and Davis could step in at PF as well.

We need a backup PG because 1. Nash is done 2. Clarkson is a rook
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby LakersN4 on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:49 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:

Why? We already had Boozer/Randle at PF, and Hill and Davis could step in at PF as well.

We need a backup PG because 1. Nash is done 2. Clarkson is a rook

Kelly was a top 5-10 player in last years draft.. If we had a redraft today he goes top 10 no question. You don't give that up for a 27 year old backup PG that can't stay healthy. Those are available for 2-3M every offseason. The guy we should have kept was Marshall but again it wasn't possible. Atleast he's young with the potential to be a real impact player 1 day. Farmar is what he is. I wanted him back don't get me wrong, but we get Mo Williams or Sessions with the 2.7M Blake TPE & we've upgraded from Farmar, he isn't much to replace.
LakersN4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion