Nick Young Discussion:Kobe= Batman, Nick= Boy Wonder (57)

Re: Nick Young Discussion

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:13 am

He has way too much green on.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby JSM on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:The storyline seems all too perfect.

An L.A. native returns back home so he can play for the Lakers. He gushes about playing along his childhood hero, Kobe Bryant. The player enthusiastically dons the purple and gold uniform even if it means playing at a low salary.

Yes, all those elements emerged when former USC and Cleveland High of Reseda standout Nick Young left the Philadelphia 76ers and signed a two-year, $2.3-million deal with a player option in his second season to play with the Lakers. But it doesn’t tell the complete story.

Young and the Lakers expressed mutual interest last season, too. But those talks never materialized into anything.

Why?

“They had Dwight [Howard], [Steve] Nash and Antawn Jamison,” Young said in an interview with this newspaper recently after playing in the Drew League at King-Drew Magnet High School in downtown Los Angeles. “I didn’t want to just be another guy on the bench. I felt like I wouldn’t have been a good fit.”

Chalk up Young’s arrival to Los Angeles to good timing, too.

He said he had sparked interest from both the Dallas Mavericks and Sacramento Kings. But Young viewed Dallas’ eventual acquisition in guard Monta Ellis and Sacramento’s reported interest in him as signals that neither partnership would work.

“I didn’t want to sit around and wait on what was going to happen,” Young said. “I felt like this would be a good opportunity.”

He has plenty of good reasons to feel that way.

The Lakers hope Young’s scoring mentality will help absorb Kobe Bryant’s possible absence to open the season stemmed from his torn left Achilles tendon. On a team full of veteran-laden players with little speed, Young’s freakish athleticism and age (28) suddenly makes this team more capable of running Mike D’Antoni’s system at a faster pace. And Young said he “definitely” saw the Lakers waiving Metta World Peace through the amnesty provision as a clear sign they want him to have a significant role.

In case Young didn’t see any of this writing on the wall, both Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and D’Antoni talked with Young in a meeting he described as “all positive.”

“He was telling me to play my game,” Young said of Kupchak. “When I talked with the coach, he said the same thing. They’re looking for young athletic guys out there. They just said for me to ball.”

Young provided a good glimpse of his skills when he led MHP to a 85-84 victory Saturday over the Jaguars. He won Drew League Player of the Week honors by posting a team-high 43 points on 12 of 25 shooting, a 15 of 17 clip from the foul line and eight rebounds.

He showcased his ability to split the defense when he drove in for a one-handed dunk on one play and snuck into the lane for a putback on another. Young made two clutch free throws to secure a 85-84 lead with 7.1 seconds left in overtime. Even after missing three-pointer late in regulation, Young raced to the other end of the court and blocked
what would’ve been a game-winning layup.

Young showed some of his weaknesses, too.

Young missed a baseline jumper that could’ve won the game after making his game-saving block. He committed five turnovers. After coughing up the ball on one possession, Young didn’t run back on defense whatsoever.

“For me, I try to get in shape,” Young said, “and do things I can do on the court and work on things without trying my hardest.”

Young will have to try his hardest with the Lakers.

Dwight Howard’s departure to the Houston Rockets coupled with World Peace’s absence leaves the Lakers without two defensive anchors on a team that already ranked 21st overall in total defense. The Lakers feature a coach who hardly has a solid defensive reputation (D’Antoni). They have a player whose inconsistent off-ball defense overshadows his effective on-ball defending (Bryant). They boast an otherwise elite point guard who’s considered too slow (Nash).

Young offered a hearty laugh regarding the Lakers’ anticipated defensive shortcomings.

“I guess we’re going to just run and gun,” Young said with a smile. “It is what it is. But look at Golden State. We’ll be all right.”

The Warriors ranked only 19th in total defense last season, but had much more youth in Steph Curry, Klay Thompson to make them one of the NBA’s seventh best offense. Incidentally, the Lakers ranked sixth, though the offense lacked consistency because of overlapping injuries and competing coach and player agendas.

“I believe we’ll be all right,” said Young, who averaged 11.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and one assist in six seasons, including one year with the Clippers. “We’ll have a shot at the title. We like to be the underdog. We can sneak in when no one expects much from us. It should spark some energy and some motivation. We have a lot to prove. For me, I know I’m going to be on the biggest stage there is in the NBA.”

Young resisted that spotlight last season namely because he believed he wouldn’t stand under the lights as much he’d like. But with the Lakers in dire need of a supporting cast ensuring a strong production, Young will gladly try to help this once storied franchise avoid traveling down the road toward mediocrity.

Said Young: “I’m ready for it.”
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lotus on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:20 pm

JSM wrote:
Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:Dwight Howard’s departure to the Houston Rockets coupled with World Peace’s absence leaves the Lakers without two defensive anchors on a team that already ranked 21st overall in total defense. The Lakers feature a coach who hardly has a solid defensive reputation (D’Antoni). They have a player whose inconsistent off-ball defense overshadows his effective on-ball defending (Bryant). They boast an otherwise elite point guard who’s considered too slow (Nash).

This is what stuck out to me. Boy I hope Rambis can work defensive magic this year. At least on transition D.
lotus

Postby diehard on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:39 pm

Real good article. Let's hope it works out for Young and the Lakers :jam2:
"Be true to yourself and you will never fall."

Ron Artest: Is it freaky if your girl has a barbed wired thong and comes in the room with plastic sporks? Twitter
diehard

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:11 pm

lotus wrote:
JSM wrote:
Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:Dwight Howard’s departure to the Houston Rockets coupled with World Peace’s absence leaves the Lakers without two defensive anchors on a team that already ranked 21st overall in total defense. The Lakers feature a coach who hardly has a solid defensive reputation (D’Antoni). They have a player whose inconsistent off-ball defense overshadows his effective on-ball defending (Bryant). They boast an otherwise elite point guard who’s considered too slow (Nash).

This is what stuck out to me. Boy I hope Rambis can work defensive magic this year. At least on transition D.

I agree, but I think because we have more athletic players our transition D will be much more improved. At least when those players are on the floor.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Re: Lakers sign Nick Young (p. 4)

Postby KJ MonK on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 pm

noobiew wrote:Image

i know im late, but i better see this sight at Summerslam next week :jam2:
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:33 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
lotus wrote:
JSM wrote:

I agree, but I think because we have more athletic players our transition D will be much more improved. At least when those players are on the floor.

Dwight I understand, but Metta was pretty much done. He had quick hands still, but he would often get beat off the dribble 9 times out of 10. As for Dwight, his offensive downfalls (poor free throws, little post game, turnovers) almost counter balances what he brings on the defensive end anyway.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby SK8 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:26 pm

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:41 pm

The last guy in the second video clip is Farmar. He's still got a little hop in those little legs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:33 pm

:man3: I dont' see anything but a picture of the ceiling.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Juronimo wrote::man3: I dont' see anything but a picture of the ceiling.

The first one is a video of him shooting and working out with Madsen. The second one is a video of him dunking a couple times and then Farmar reverse dunks it.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:48 pm

What browser are you using?
My signature
thkthebest

Postby earvinfr on Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:42 pm

If you use IE, switch to compatibility mode.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 pm

VERY excited to have Nick Young. guy can ball and learning from Nash and Kobe will only help him. Having guys like him and farmar who are LA guys and love the purple and gold is always great to see and you know he'll play his hear out as he always has against the lakers.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:45 pm

“@NickSwagyPYoung: newest laker @xhenry7 what up”

hopefully chemistry will be better amongst new and old players
Ariza3

Postby SK8 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Also Wes telling his followers to follow X :man1:

xavier henry ‏@xhenry7 2h
“ @Weside11: @xhenry7 everybody go follow X!! Show him some love #LakerNation” yezzir good look fam!

yeah, i think chemistry will definitely be huge difference this year, because our new/old guys Swaggy, Wes, Kaman, X and Jordan actually WANT TO wear purple and gold :jam2:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Center Court on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Also Wes telling his followers to follow X :man1:

xavier henry ‏@xhenry7 2h
“ @Weside11: @xhenry7 everybody go follow X!! Show him some love #LakerNation” yezzir good look fam!

yeah, i think chemistry will definitely be huge difference this year, because our new/old guys Swaggy, Wes, Kaman, X and Jordan actually WANT TO wear purple and gold :jam2:

Chemistry will be night and day compared to last year.

Whether or not players truly believe in MDA, they're all going to buy in. There is no elephant in the room with Dwight's upcoming decision and desire to appease him. Certainly there is no whiny franchise level player giving half hearted efforts.

I will say if Dwight stayed and we did the things we did this off-season (replace Kaman with Wright) these young guys would have made Dwight feel better.
Center Court

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Hangin' with Swaggy P: A Day With Nick Young:

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2013/09/27/130928HanginWithSwaggymov-2603763

Cool, behind the scenes look. I'm glad we have him on our team :jam2:

Also, I love Nick's reaction to this:

Video: http://www.lakersnation.com/video-nick-young-excited-to-see-himself-on-the-lakers-in-nba-2k14/2013/09/26/
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby CarFlagChris on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:52 am

Nick Young, arguably the best offensive player after the big 3, is hurt. Last season's injury woes have started early.

From the LAT:
By Eric Pincus
October 3, 2013, 6:24 p.m.
Lakers guard Nick Young sprained his ankle in practice on Thursday, putting his availability in question for the Lakers' first two preseason games on Saturday and Sunday.

"Nick tweaked his ankle a little bit today, so I don't even know if Nick's going be there Saturday," said Coach Mike D'Antoni.

The Lakers start their exhibition season in Ontario on Saturday, playing host to the Golden State Warriors. They play the next night at Staples Center against the Denver Nuggets.

Young isn't expected to practice on Friday.

"He'll probably sit out tomorrow," D'Antoni said after practice Thursday. "We'll see about Saturday."
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 am

*sigh*

eff you basketball gods...seriously...from the bottom of my heart, eff you and your mother
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Juronimo on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:48 am

and so it begins

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby kenzo on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Well, that didn't take long :bang:
Last edited by kenzo on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:26 pm

kenzo wrote:Well, that didn't take ling :bang:

What didn't take ling?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:33 pm

therealdeal wrote:
kenzo wrote:Well, that didn't take ling :bang: