Nick Young Discussion:Kobe= Batman, Nick= Boy Wonder (57)

Re: Nick Young Discussion

Postby KB24 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Young's career averages of 1.9 rpg and 1 apg are extremely pathetic.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:46 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter 10m
Nick Young (ankle) practiced fully today, so we can expect him to play in Saturday’s preseason opener.
Expand

For the sky is already falling people.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Nick Young (ankle) practiced fully today, so we can expect him to play in Saturday’s preseason opener.
Expand

:jam2: I didn't think the sky was falling but it was sarcastically complaining that this injury is like a small crack in a dam. Then after a while the cracks begin to show up in other places...
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Juronimo on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:02 pm

KB24 wrote:Young's career averages of 1.9 rpg and 1 apg are extremely pathetic.

Well if Young averaged lets say 5 or 6 rebs and 5 or 6 assists, he wouldn't have been had for the league minimum. I think you're nitpicking just a little.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:47 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Expand

:jam2: leggoooo

....my eggo.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby CarFlagChris on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 pm

Glad Nick Young can go.

By Eric Pincus
October 4, 2013, 3:54 p.m.
Good news for Nick Young and the Lakers -- his "tweaked ankle" is not serious. Expect Young to start at shooting guard Saturday night as the Lakers open the preseason in Ontario against the Golden State Warriors.

"I should be ready to go tomorrow," said Young, who sat out practice Thursday. "It happened Tuesday but it just kept lingering. I kept trying to play on it."

Young went through a light practice Friday without any ill effects.

"I'm going to be out there," said Young of the preseason opener.

With Kobe Bryant sidelined while recovering from a torn Achilles tendon, Young may start in place for the Lakers All-Star.

Steve Nash and Pau Gasol are not expected to play on Saturday given the Lakers' quick turnaround with a game at Staples Center on Sunday against the Denver Nuggets.

Nash is "not going to play a back to back," said D'Antoni, who also said he'll sit Gasol. "They should play together, so it will probably be Sunday."

While the Lakers would naturally prefer to win every game, even exhibitions, getting the roster healthy is the greater priority.

"Every coach would like to win," D'Antoni said. "I'm not going to risk somebody's health or play them extra minutes just to try to win."

Along with Young at shooting guard, the Lakers coach said he'll go with veteran point guard Steve Blake instead of Nash.

"Steve Blake deserves to start," D'Antoni said. "He was here last year and he's playing great. That's where he started in the lineup and there's no reason to change it.

"We'll probably go with Wesley Johnson maybe at the small forward," D'Antoni said. "It'll probably be Jordan Hill and Chris Kaman [at power forward and center]."

The Lakers will play four preseason games before flying to China for two games in Beijing and Shanghai against the Warriors.

The regular season opener is on Oct. 29 at home against the Clippers.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Juronimo wrote:

Well if Young averaged lets say 5 or 6 rebs and 5 or 6 assists, he wouldn't have been had for the league minimum. I think you're nitpicking just a little.

That's true, he's a one trick pony but we're all hoping he can become something more during his time here in LA.
XXIV

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I think we're really need Nick Young's scoring this year, especially if Kobe's either out for a while or isn't up to speed. That's what he does best. True, he doesn't do a whole lot else, which is why I don't think he's truly starter material on a good NBA team. A green lighted offensive player off the bench? Sure. Good role for him. Not sure if we are going to try to use him as a 3? Could be a bit rough if we do.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:25 pm

I'm getting mixed reports now. A few days ago, I read an article that said D'Antoni would not mind leaving a player for an extra few minutes to win the game, but the above piece says he's "not going to risk a player's health in exchange for a win". :man3:

Unless he just means these exhibition games.
charvin

Postby CarFlagChris on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:31 pm

XXIV wrote:
Juronimo wrote:

That's true, he's a one trick pony but we're all hoping he can become something more during his time here in LA.

Although scoring is not a bad trick. It is Melo's only trick. And, he is less than $2 mil, whereas Nash is $9 mil.
WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!! WE WANT PHIL!!
CarFlagChris

If Nick Young wasn't on the Lakers....

Postby Sirron on Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:57 pm

I'd find him to be an arrogant punk. He's 28 and hasn't accomplished squat. Hoping he tones the head shaking and shenanigans down. Confidence is good, but please don't be a punk.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Re: If Nick Young wasn't on the Lakers....

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:00 pm

I'll take it over Meeks bricking shots, getting torched on defense and getting blocked at the rim.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Juronimo on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:31 pm

How is he an arrogant punk? I guess it's time for the irrational hate of our own players to begin even though it's preseason.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Really, that bugs you? I said in gameday earlier that I loved it. Besides Kobe, we almost never have players that play with swagger, confidence, fun and flair like that. It's nice to have for a change, I love his fancy spin moves, handles, and footwork, and how confident he seems, seems to genuinely love playing the game and being a Laker.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 pm

confidence is one thing

acting a fool is another.

Hopefully he finds that balance. Some dude off the bench for his career at 28 doesn't need to be acting like Kobe did at 18 winning the dunk contest. he needs to move beyond that a little.

Kobe will get ahold of him and help him out. :man12:
Sirron

Postby SK8 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Obviously you don't like Young, and that's ok, but to open new topic about it, that's another level.
That's his personality, that's who he is, just because he didn't do well so far in his career doesn't mean that he can't have fun, actually i always thought that he is really underrated.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Tragic on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:03 pm

as long as he is balling I dont mind it tbh
Tragic

Postby Sirron on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Obviously you don't like Young, and that's ok, but to open new topic about it, that's another level.
That's his personality, that's who he is, just because he didn't do well so far in his career doesn't mean that he can't have fun, actually i always thought that he is really underrated.

I don't know him, so I can't dislike him. I just don't care for some of the extracurricular antics. Lakers are a class organization.
Sirron

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't see it as not classy to dribble with some style, and have a little fun when you hit tough shots. Kobe does all those things and more, he's a cocky SOB, he'll talk trash, shake his head like "you can't stop me", grit those teeth and make the Kobe face, pop his jersey, and more. Young is just that type of player, he's an LA kid, he has fun out there, definitely isn't a robot, and honestly I have no problem with it, even enjoy it as long as he's backing it up with his play.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:05 pm

I dont see the problem with Young. He plays with some flair and has fun, so what? It's not like he's Cousins or JR smith attitude.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby live and die in LA on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:07 pm

The Lakers were lucky to sign an athletic scoring punch off the bench for the vet minimum and we have haters complaining about the guy having too much swagger? Confidence is not a bad thing to have, I will take it all day. How many players do you see fail because of mental/confidence issues? Let Nick be confident, it will be beneficial to the Lakers, find something better to get riled up about.
Last edited by live and die in LA on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
live and die in LA

Postby Sirron on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I'll take guys like Xavier Henry all day over P whatever he's calling himself.

I don't disagree we're luck to have some punch off the bench. But, geez, act like you've been there. :man3:
Sirron

Postby karacha on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 pm

I like him.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Sirron wrote:I'll take guys like Xavier Henry all day over P whatever he's calling himself.

I don't disagree we're luck to have some punch off the bench. But, geez, act like you've been there. :man3:

He hasn't been there though, he's played for bad teams, and now he's a Laker and loving it. Also we've seen 2 games from Henry, I don't take him over Young who is way more established and is a guy other than Kobe that can create his own offense and really score, something we have lacked for a long time, just because Young is cocky/flashy and his twitter handle is Swaggy P. I don't see the problem with that at all, kinda seems like nitpicking big time. I don't see him as an arrogant punk at all, I see a guy who likes to have fun out there, it's not like he's an a-hole like JR Smith or Kenyon Martin, and we're dang lucky to have signed him for as cheap as we did.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok, Weezy, I'll give it some time. :man12:
Sirron

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion