Nick Young Discussion: Torn Thumb Ligament, Out 8 Weeks (59)

Re: Nick Young Discussion

Postby Magic Skywalker on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:59 pm

I believe Kobe is doing better than Nash so far (?)
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Sirron on Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:31 pm

Playing against 2nd stringers seems to work for him better so far. Spark off the bench probably needs to be his role.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby XXIV on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Finally he had a good game. Him coming off the bench seems to be the best fit for him so hopefully MDA keeps him there. :man10:
XXIV

Postby crampledkid on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:09 pm

maybe he's staying. He said he wanna get that 6th man of the year award
crampledkid

Postby revgen on Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:19 pm

Like the guys on the postgame said, he's more free with the 2nd unit since he doesn't have to play so much defense. No guarding Iguadola and Kawai Leonard. Now that's Xavier's job, which Xavier is more physically gifted for. Also, with Farmar, he's has a drive and dish PG who can create for him.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:21 am

He looked good out there off the bench. Moved the ball better, took better shots, got better looks. Maybe he needed a little of the pressure off of himself in the second unit.

I think he brings the overall defensive ability down with that bench unit that flies around the perimeter, but he's a nice scoring option there too. I think it was a good move by D'Antoni.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:
ThizGuy83 wrote:and this is why he should be 6th man...

I just don't see Nick Young as the first player off the bench for us...That should be Meeks, then Kaman, then Blake, THEN Young. He is a one dimensional player (scoring) who is shooting under 30% and scoring less than 5 buckets a game...total garbage at this point.

My regular season player value rankings so far:

1. Pau Gasol
2. Jordan Hill
3. Xavier Henry
4. Jordan Farmar
5. Jodie Meeks
6. Chris Kaman
7. Wesley Johnson
8. Steve Blake
9. Nick Young
10. Sean Williams
11. Steve Nash
12. Robert Sacre
13. Elias Harris
14. Ryan Kelly
15. Kobe Bryant

I believe that Harris, Kelly and Sacre could be more valuable for us if they got as many minutes as Nash, but since they aren't and won't he is ahead of them...Kobe is an unknown quantity right now, so he is obviously not of any value completely out and unable to contribute or even practice. I will update this as the season goes on.

I agree. Until he proves otherwise, he deserves to be buried on the bench. Too bad he's going to get hot every few games, keeping him in the rotation and getting big minutes. His chucking is one thing... His defense however, is offensive.
Frank Dux

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:34 pm

therealdeal wrote:He looked good out there off the bench. Moved the ball better, took better shots, got better looks. Maybe he needed a little of the pressure off of himself in the second unit.

I think he brings the overall defensive ability down with that bench unit that flies around the perimeter, but he's a nice scoring option there too. I think it was a good move by D'Antoni.

I don't really think he took better shots, he just made them. Regardless, much better game for him.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 pm

While his defense off the bench is going to hurt us, I think it's offset by replacing Nash with Farmar when that 2nd unit comes in.. If D'antoni tries to play Nash 30 MPG then we can't afford to play Young as much or our perimeter D will be horrible.. Then again, the more minutes Nash gets the sooner he gets injured & we don't have to worry about him & Young being on the floor at the same time. I'd like to see him get any minutes at SG that Blake or Meeks are getting.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:08 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He looked good out there off the bench. Moved the ball better, took better shots, got better looks. Maybe he needed a little of the pressure off of himself in the second unit.

I don't really think he took better shots, he just made them. Regardless, much better game for him.

I thought a lot of shots were in much better rhythm within the offense. In the starting lineup he was catching the ball and really trying to razzle dazzle. Off the bench most shots were catch- and- shoot opportunities. Some shots were created, but there was less razzle dazzle focus and more good shot focus.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Sirron on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:22 pm

"I want to be 6th man of the year!"

I'm glad he's taking his demotion with a good attitude. Either way, it wasn't his choice. The decision had to be made.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm

That should be his attitude; he's more suited coming off the bench. Good move by MDA...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Snakell Beast on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:14 pm

crampledkid wrote:who the hell is SEAN williams? :man10:

I know, seriously, I even know how to spell his name...I guess he just doesn't deserve me spelling his name properly until he starts playing well.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby sister golden hair on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:13 pm

He seems more focused off the bench. I think he feels the freedom to be the main source of offense withb the second group. Maybe it allows him to play more relaxed.
sister golden hair

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:24 am

sister golden hair wrote:He seems more focused off the bench. I think he feels the freedom to be the main source of offense withb the second group. Maybe it allows him to play more relaxed.

Agreed. Nick Young being counted on to play D and to focus on team ball with the starters wasn't really working. He is what he is and always has been - a bench scorer. Like D' Antoni I was hoping he could fill the scoring gap with the starting unit until Kobe returned. But X just slipped in there and didn't lose a beat at all in his game. He's a better defender at the 3 and his energy is pretty equally infectious with either the starters or the bench.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Worked well 2nd game in a row for him on offense. 8 for 12 and 21 points.
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:25 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Worked well 2nd game in a row for him on offense. 8 for 12 and 21 points.

Yep. He even played a lick or two of defense as well.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 am

Him coming off the bench is definitely showing better results. One of the better moves by MDA.
XXIV

Postby karacha on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 am

I agree. He's a spark off the bench, and it's obvious that he benefits from it as well. It helps him earn a better contract.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:01 am

I like his offense off the bench. Effective and efficient. He even moves the ball better which is odd.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:01 am

Nice stretch for the Swag Mamba
wcsoldier81

Postby SK8 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:46 am

He is steal for 1$ million per year, Mitch did great job bringing him, Wes and Farmar.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 am

and X of course
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:and X of course
:jam2: