Nick Young Discussion:Kobe= Batman, Nick= Boy Wonder (57)

Re: Nick Young Discussion

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:18 pm

Nick gets suspended, but that idiot Len doesn't?

That's a load of ****.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:Nick gets suspended, but that idiot Len doesn't?

That's a load of ****.

why would Len get suspended? for a flag 2? Young suspension is probably due to the "punch" he threw at Dragic not the Len altercation
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Len's blatant hit on the head and no play on the ball? That is a suspension. He didn't even try to help Nick up.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm

One got suspended (throwing a punch), one got fined (hard foul)... I don't know. Oh well. It's good there was no real altercation on the floor, otherwise we'd have no one to play the game against Boston.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:22 pm

khmrP wrote:

That's a load of ****.

why would Len get suspended? for a flag 2? Young suspension is probably due to the "punch" he threw at Dragic not the Len altercation

Exactly. I think it's actually appropriate. The punch/push on Dragic shouldn't have been done.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Nick Young: "It's on you if you want to get embarrassed. I take pride in this Laker uniform."

No surprise there. He was born a Laker. It's been known he's a Laker fan growing up and idolizing Kobe. I'm happy and proud that Nick is a Laker and his dream came true. Definitely a keeper for showing that Laker pride.

Glad somebody takes some pride in wearing the Purple and Gold. It's attitude's like this we need more of. We simply need a revamp of players that are hungry to win and go hard every game.

Not surprised about the Young suspension. At least someone has the stones to step in and not just let teams beat on them.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Nick afterwards said that it was a hard foul and there really wasn't any malicious intent...it did look bad on TV, but maybe Len talked with Swag afterwards and they resolved their differences.

Also, right after the incident you saw both Meeks and Kaman come to talk to Swaggy while the refs were assessing the damages. Kelly and Marshall both didn't do that, so again, maybe its a veteran thing vs rookie thing and maybe its something entirely different...but Nick did make an effort to call out his teammates while giving Len a pass afterwards, so you know somethin's up.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:30 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
khmrP wrote:

That's a load of ****.

Exactly. I think it's actually appropriate. The punch/push on Dragic shouldn't have been done.

Neither should the whack in the face. :man10:

How does one equal a suspension without pay and one is just a dock in pay? Nick's reaction was worth a suspension and so was Len's hit.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:39 pm

I feel Len's hit was pretty bad since Young was in the air and wasnt a play on the ball. It was a straight hit to Young's face who has every right to be upset.

The fact that Young was the one who got hit pretty hard and could have really gotten injured he shouldnt have been suspended for retaliating. Len's hit was extremely dangerous regardless of what him and Young resolved and should have warranted the same consequence as Young got imo. Dragic open hand shove warranted a ejection and fine but not suspension if Len's doesnt either.
Ariza3

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:57 pm

^^^It states that Nick got suspended for the "punch" to Dragic, not the initial retaliation from Len's foul.
And I think that's what Nick is upset about....he made every attempt to say that it was a hard foul by Len and that he's upset that he lost his cool, but he's even more frustrated that it escalated afterwards and noone came to his aid.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Nick Young has been suspended one game without pay for throwing a punch at Phoenix Suns guard Goran Dragic with 7:33 remaining in the second quarter of the Lakers’ 121-114 loss to the Suns on Wednesday, Jan. 15, at US Airways Center, it was announced today by Rod Thorn, President, Basketball Operations.

Suns center Alex Len, who was ejected for his Flagrant Foul 2 against Young, has been fined $15,000. Suns forward Marcus Morris has been fined $25,000 for escalating the altercation.

Young will serve his suspension on Friday, Jan. 17, when the Lakers visit the Boston Celtics at TD Garden.

Simply put, Nick doesn't get suspended if there isn't a haymaker thrown in Dragic's direction....but if his mates got in between him and the Phoenix 5 to begin with, then you're not looking at a suspension....you're probably looking at fines all around along with the ejections to both Len and Swag.

So again, I'm happy its just an one game suspension and it is warranted. But what really bothers me is that there isn't a team coming out to compete every night. Ls will happen, but the fashion in which we are accumulating them are embarrassing.

You got Nick, JHill, Farmar and S.Will that were super tight. S.Will gets cut and Farmar goes down. Kelly and Marshall take those spots as the new kids. JHill loses minutes to a stretch 4 in Kelly and shows his dismay with the guards and not boxing out just one night before. We all know how catty Farmar can be (see Sasha here) and I'm sure this whole Marshality thing rubs him the wrong way since the Lakers are nose diving and all it is are just empty stats. You got S.Will liking those instagram pics along with Swag (before he unliked them).

Forget Laker Girls, TWC has a gold mine in its very own Laker reality remix of Mean Girls.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:18 pm

^^^ "Mean Girls" :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Figured it was coming. Although I think Len should of got a game too. He went straight for the head, made no attempt at the ball and hit a defenseless player. In the end, I agree that if his teammates came to his aid the punch (which wasn't a punch) wouldnt have happened.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:24 pm

So, that's something they need to talk about. If people made mistakes, let them know: Swaggy, Marshall, everyone. Tell them we expect more from them -- not in terms of the wins, there's nothing special they can do about it. But in terms of player development, chemistry etc, there are certain expectations.

Basically, what I am saying is that people need to talk about it, instead of being hurt like little children. Everyone makes mistakes. Correct them and move on.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:26 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:... since the Lakers are nose diving and all it is are just empty stats.

Sorry, I'll have to disagree with this part. It's not just empty stats. Not everyone can pass like that and take care of the ball. It takes some talent. Let's not disrespect the kid for no reason. He has certain talents and deserves credit for them.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:46 pm

First of all, some of those assists had basketball moves made by the recipient before it went through the hoop. I've said the kid has vision, so I'm not trying to discredit it, but seriously 16 assists in a 16 point loss means zip-a-dee-do-da to me. Kobe scored 81...what makes it special? We needed every bit of it to secure the W.

And speaking about vision...he's still a kid so there is plenty of room to improve, but I would like to see similar vision utilized on the other side of the floor. Kid right now is a turnstile. Again, in a previous post I mentioned that Nash got away with it, since not only could he pass well, but he could shoot the ball extremely well.

So as of right now, the kid has to work on his shot and his D. Till then, he's a 3rd stringer and only has value to a gimmicky offense.

No disrespect...just my observation of the kid's game.

What I do disrespect are the comments he made justifying his actions afterwards. You may not like Nick or has actions at the moment, but get his back out there and then tell him to chill out in private as he takes an ice bath.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Yeah, I agree with most of it, but it's not just empty stats, that's what I am saying.

And yes, he should've kept his mouth shut. And talked to Nick after the game, as I mention earlier: "Sorry man, I don't have much experience and I just froze there. My bad." Nick would have understood. To the reporters, they both say: "...we discussed it, there's nothing else to be said. We're cool."

And Nick should've have kept his calm from the beginning, but I'm being Captain Hindsight now. And if someone should've have helped him in the first place -- that's Kaman, Kelly (another rookie) and Meeks who were closer to the action, all of which took whopping 7 seconds.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:24 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:
@SerenaWinters
Nick Young: "It's on you if you want to get embarrassed. I take pride in this Laker uniform."

No surprise there. He was born a Laker. It's been known he's a Laker fan growing up and idolizing Kobe. I'm happy and proud that Nick is a Laker and his dream came true. Definitely a keeper for showing that Laker pride.
It's true.. Most of the guys out there are simply auditioning for their next team (Kaman & Meeks) or just young guys who you don't expect to step in there (Kelly & Marshall).. If Kobe, Blake, Farmar, or Hill were out there, every 1 of them would have been right there to get his back.. Even Pau steps in when teammates are ganged up on.
LakersN4

Postby scissors on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Maybe Marshall was afraid he was gonna get hit with the $25,000 fine. That's a lot of money for him at this point.
scissors

Postby Uncle_Meat on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Nick afterwards said that it was a hard foul and there really wasn't any malicious intent...it did look bad on TV, but maybe Len talked with Swag afterwards and they resolved their differences.

Also, right after the incident you saw both Meeks and Kaman come to talk to Swaggy while the refs were assessing the damages. Kelly and Marshall both didn't do that, so again, maybe its a veteran thing vs rookie thing and maybe its something entirely different...but Nick did make an effort to call out his teammates while giving Len a pass afterwards, so you know somethin's up.

What you are seeing is evidence that MDA has lost control of this team. None of these guys want to play for him. He is doing nothing to marshal the talent he has and to establish leadership. It's not happening.
Uncle_Meat

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:27 pm

^

It's MDA again. Now I have a feeling you're making stuff up. "None of them want to play for D'Antoni?" How do we know that?

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Uncle_Meat on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:39 pm

karacha wrote:^

It's MDA again. Now I have a feeling you're making stuff up. "None of them want to play for D'Antoni?" How do we know that?

Where is the leadership?
Uncle_Meat

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Somewhere on the bench, in a suit?

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm

We know its true, its just sad that the guys who reacted to Nick getting clubbed and later pushed around were all on the bench. Hill hopped up and had to be grabbed, Kobe hopped up, and even Pau sat up and moved. The problem is the 4 num nuts on the floor who could actually step to the aid of Young, and no they didn't have to throw a punch, but they could have stopped the twins from pushing him around, Len going after him, and Dragic running in to instigate so there was never an open palm thrust off the sheer instinct of being cornered and crowed by Nick. It was fn inexcusable for Meeks, Kelly, Kaman and Marshall who basically took up for his former suns teammates in post game.

No matter how much Kobe and Shaq couldn't stand one another, the fact is they would know to have one another's back on the court.

No matter how soft you may want to label the Kobe/Pau lakers in their glory it goes without saying you didn't take shots at them. Odom smacking KG on the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] for the hell of it, Metta grabbing people by the throat, Luke getting nose to with Scola, and Fisher bum rushing Scola showed that. They all stood together and had one another's back on the court even with a **** ton of personality and lifestyle belief differences as we can all see since they've broken up

You don't see that on any team, keyword being team which is what this was early on before the silly [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] games set in of benching Kaman for no reason so he checked out, the cutting of Williams who got at cousins for a similar cheap shot to Farmar, and the use of Dantonis new toys in Marshall and kelly. Marshall was right, we have like 8 guys playing, not a team but 8 guys that are disjointed with the integration of Marshall and Kelly and the fn around of Kaman.

It was just a sad moment to watch, even more so than a loss
kblo247

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:56 pm

That's a load of ****.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm having a hard time finding a way to be upset with Nick Young about what he did.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby BDG on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:45 pm

I was gonna get mad that they didn't suspend Len for that cheap foul, but seeing as they only suspended Nick for just one game I'm fine with it.

One game is pretty lenient considering what they've given people recently that have thrown & connected with a punch.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion