Nick Young Discussion: Torn Thumb Ligament, Out 8 Weeks (59)

Re: Nick Young Discussion: the Swag is here to stay!

Postby Wrath12X on Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:11 am

I love Swaggy P! I'm glad he took a discount and came back to LA! 4 years? NICE!
Wrath12X

Postby southbaylakers72 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:42 am

Good pick up. We need guys with high energy and heart. Much better than those Caron butler rumors
Make each day a masterpiece.
southbaylakers72

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:22 am

I guess Nick will be expected to be Kobe Jr. this season.. we have nada for scorers otherwise.
BadCoaching

Postby 1bartg22 on Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:32 am

Wrath12X wrote:I love Swaggy P! I'm glad he took a discount and came back to LA! 4 years? NICE!

+1 :jam2:
1bartg22

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:22 pm

Kobe Setting the Tone Already with Young

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-setting-tone-for-2014-2015-season/2014/07/16/

A sense of joy and relief filled Nick Young’s emotions as he processed the Lakers securing him to a four-year, $21.5 million deal. The joy entailed basking in relative riches after his gamble to opt out of his $1.2 million player option paid off in securing a longer and more lucrative contract with the Lakers. The relief reflected Young’s uncertainty on whether the Lakers would keep him amid their hope to maintain financial flexibility and their continuous pursuit of Carmelo Anthony.

“I thought, ‘Maybe I might end up being somewhere else,” Young told this newspaper Tuesday night at Lure Nightclub, which hosted an ESPN-sponsored red carpet event commemorating its recent Body issue. “I knew if Melo signed here, I would pretty much have to go somewhere else.”

Before Young could become too giddy about staying in his hometown, he received an important phone call from Kobe Bryant. The message went beyond congratulating Young, a former Cleveland Reseda High and USC standout, on staying in his hometown.

“He was the first person to call me. He was telling me to get in the gym and work hard,” Young recalled. “They’re already counting us out.”

Yes, they are.

The Lakers are not just coming off a 27-55 record last season, the team’s worst in L.A. franchise history. The Lakers lost in the James and Anthony sweepstakes. Pau Gasol, who guided the Lakers to two NBA titles in his 6 1/2 seasons here, left for the Chicago Bulls. The Lakers also lost key reserves in Jodie Meeks to Detroit and Young’s close friend, Jordan Farmar, to the Clippers.

“This is a chance for him to see what it’s like to be on the other side and be an enemy,” Young said of Farmar leaving. “We’ve always been rivals since high school. But I wanted to keep him.”

Yet, Young stayed optimistic. He gushed about Bryant’s recovery after playing in only six games last season because of injuries to his left Achilles tendon and left knee. Young touted the Lakers acquiring guard Jeremy Lin (and a 2015 first and second round pick) from the Houston Rockets for the rights to overseas player Sergei Lishchuk. Young liked the Lakers agreed to a two-year, $18 million to bring back forward Jordan Hill. And, of course, Young mentioned how the the Lakers signed on board for another four years of “Swaggy P.”

“We’ll be fine; they got me,” Young said. “We’re a playoff team. Don’t count us out.”

It seems pretty challenging for the Lakers to live up to Young’s bold prediction . Plenty of that depends on Bryant’s health and play, for sure. Some of it hinges on how much Young duplicates last season’s performance in which he averaged a team-leading 17.9 points on 43.5 percent shooting. When Young went through that process, Bryant offered him some tough love on how to develop into a complete player.

Young believes he will remain a backup small forward. But how will he adjust toward playing with Bryant and stomach his infamous death stares?

“Oh man,” Young said, smiling. “I can handle them though. A lot of them can’t handle Kobe’s looks.”

Young received plenty of them last year, the most famous one involving Bryant directly looking at Young with a stern expression from the sidelines.

“That moment, we were down by like 20 at Golden State,” Young recalled. “It was bad. He gave me that look, ‘Like come on!’ I tried, but it was tough.”

Safe to say those interactions will continue, with Bryant’s early offseason phone call setting the tone.

“Kobe puts more pressure on me,” said Young, who has frequently played in Drew League games this summer. “Ever since he gave me that phone call, I’ve been in the gym every day.”
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby JSM on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:16 pm

ESPY swag

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby denimPortugal on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:56 pm

This guy is priceless! :man10:
denimPortugal

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Mike Trudell: Maria Sharapova told @NickSwagyPYoung to tone it done a bit w/t accessories. His response: "I'm Swaggy P though!" I agree with Nick. Twitter @LakersReporter - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.OGOqTqM0.dpuf
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:04 pm

^ :man10: :man10: Love this dude
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:05 pm

That's great! :man10:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:Been running around a bit, but finally get a chance to really get in here and say...

I love this deal. This is the ONLY deal that I loved from the Lakers this summer. Their other moves have been either incredibly disappointing or just decent moves. But this move I absolutely love.

A guy who absolutely loves the Lakers, able to fill up on offense... I love having him here. He'll be a 4 years well spent.

I like this deal too. It's very reasonable considering how much the Gordon Haywards of the world are getting paid.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Gotta say, I'm very pleased too. I dig Swaggy P. He's a fun character, hometown guy, and a good basketball player to boot. And that contract is very decent. He gives us a guy to root for with infectious energy for the fans. I love him in the 6th man role. Now we just need a defensive minded starting SF to fill out the roster.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 am

Can't sleep so here's some videos for you guys.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Swaggy is official.

#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:53 pm

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Nick Young to a multi-year contract, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not released.

“When Nick became a free agent in June, I expressed hope that we would be able to bring him back on a contract that was in the best interest of both the Lakers and himself, and I am proud to say we were able to do so,” said Kupchak. “Nick was a bright spot for us last season, and we are happy to retain such a skilled player who is committed to being a part of what we are building as a franchise.”

Young had a career year in 2013-14 after originally signing with the Lakers as a free agent in July, 2013. The Los Angeles native averaged a career-high 17.9 points in his first season in the purple-and-gold, twice hitting the 40-point mark, and led the team in scoring a team-best 22 times. In a predominantly bench role (nine starts in 64 games), Young averaged 18.8 points as a reserve, ranking him 1st in the NBA for points per game among players who came off the bench 20 or more times. Young also led the league in four-point plays last season (seven, also a Lakers franchise record) and finished 3rd in the NBA in points per touch (0.45).

After a three-year collegiate career at USC, the seven-year pro was drafted by the Washington Wizards with the 16th pick of the 2007 NBA Draft. Young was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers in March 2012 and played the following season (2012-13) for the Philadelphia 76ers.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 1bartg22 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:01 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Swaggy is official.

Now that he's going to be here for the long haul, I'm about to buy his jersey!!! :jam2:
1bartg22

Postby 432J on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:47 pm

young is the type of guy this team needs

a guy who WANTS to be in LA and genuinely loves being a laker
432J

Postby syl on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:53 pm

.....so, why arent people considering him starting SF material???....
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby davriver290 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Great signing. That dude has got some really nice teeth.... Sue me, I have a thing with people and their oral hygiene lol.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:10 pm

syl wrote:.....so, why arent people considering him starting SF material???....

He plays a little better with the ball in his hands. Starting with Kobe and Lin just wouldn't work in the long run. Plus, having that nice offensive spark, someone who can create off the dribble and get their own shot off the bench is nice to have as well.
Battle Tested20

Postby syl on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:

He plays a little better with the ball in his hands. Starting with Kobe and Lin just wouldn't work in the long run. Plus, having that nice offensive spark, someone who can create off the dribble and get their own shot off the bench is nice to have as well.

true, but would love to see him work on off-ball movements to play with kobe/lin
Kobe Bryant: GM of the Year (Chucky was right!)
syl

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Nah he's got starting talent, but if he's our sixth man he has way more freedom. It's just a better fit for him to come off the bench.

He'll get time next to Kobe and/or Lin, but the majority of his time should be spent off the bench.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 pm

He's definitely starter material, he just plays better as a 6th man. He worked as a starter last season because he could be the 1st option.

Klay Thompson:
18/3/3 42% 3 pt FG, 55.5% TS 14.3 PER

Nick Young:
18/2/1.5 39 % 3pt FG, 56.4 % TS 16.0 PER

While Klay gets a max extension next season we'll still have Swaggy locked in for MLE money :jam2:
LakersN4

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:17 pm

Yeah, I have to believe he was offered at least twice what he got here (considering what Meeks got).
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:20 pm

LakersN4 wrote:

He's definitely starter material, he just plays better as a 6th man. He worked as a starter last season because he could be the 1st option.

Klay Thompson:
18/3/3 42% 3 pt FG, 55.5% TS 14.3 PER

Nick Young:
18/2/1.5 39 % 3pt FG, 56.4 % TS 16.0 PER

While Klay gets a max extension next season we'll still have Swaggy locked in for MLE money :jam2:

Great breakdown. Make getting Swaggy P back even sweeter
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion