Nick Young Discussion: Torn Thumb Ligament, Out 8 Weeks (59)

Re: Lakers sign Nick Young (p. 4)

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:42 am

borri wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:He makes JR Smith look like an unselfish player ...

Career :
4053 FGA , 421 assists
:man10:

I think he's going to be a disaster under MDA green light system... well at least we have another player who can have big nights here and there

Could care less. If Young was a PG, then I'd care. But he's not.

It's definitely an issue no matter what position he plays. When your assist rate is that low you're definitely a detriment to an offense. I remember 2 years ago he had the worst assist rate in the league, it was around 1 assist per 15 shot attempts. Why is this an issue? Ball stoppage. Nick Young during his Wizard days was one of the biggest black holes i've ever seen. He would huck up a shot any chance he got thinking he was Kobe Bryant in his prime.

I'm ok with this signing though, especially for the minimum. Hopefully he can turn his career around, and learn from the best SG in the game. He's got some talent, I just don't know if his brain can get there. But hey, at least he's not like J.R. Smith off the court.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:45 am

Snake Eyes wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Another guard on a team with no SF under contract?

Chris Douglas-Roberts is on the summer league roster. I have a feeling he'll make it.

I do too. I am very excited to see how he does at today's game at 5pm pct on TWC/NBATV
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby borri on Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:24 am

Frank Dux wrote:
borri wrote:

Career :
4053 FGA , 421 assists

I think he's going to be a disaster under MDA green light system... well at least we have another player who can have big nights here and there

Could care less. If Young was a PG, then I'd care. But he's not.

It's definitely an issue no matter what position he plays. When your assist rate is that low you're definitely a detriment to an offense. I remember 2 years ago he had the worst assist rate in the league, it was around 1 assist per 15 shot attempts. Why is this an issue? Ball stoppage. Nick Young during his Wizard days was one of the biggest black holes i've ever seen. He would huck up a shot any chance he got thinking he was Kobe Bryant in his prime.

I'm ok with this signing though, especially for the minimum. Hopefully he can turn his career around, and learn from the best SG in the game. He's got some talent, I just don't know if his brain can get there. But hey, at least he's not like J.R. Smith off the court.

Nick Young + Antoni's run and gun = could care less about his assists.
borri

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:48 am

Glad to have him aboard. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley, about 10 mins away from Taft High (Farmer's HS). Valley natives!
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:21 am

Hope he's a beneficial addition. Seems to be a decent price for him.

Be nice to see his 3pt % increase.
BadCoaching

Postby BDG on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:32 am

Great article on Nick Young in 2007 about his past and road to the NBA:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=alipour/070626

Nick Young's career has a Hollywood beginning
By Sam Alipour
Special to Page 2

LOS ANGELES -- Nick Young shuffles his feet outside Mann Festival Theater, his polka-dot Vans nudging imaginary pebbles, his mind racing. "I'm nervous as hell," Young whispers. "This whole thing is very Hollywood."

Though he's smiling -- he's always smiling -- the soft-spoken swingman from USC tends to blink in the unforgiving glare of spotlights. That's something he'll have to work on. Only days before he departs for the NBA draft in New York -- where he'll become the first USC player since 1997 chosen in the first round -- Young has come to Westwood for the Los Angeles Film Festival premiere of "Second Chance Season," a documentary detailing his senior year at Grover Cleveland High School in Reseda.

The NBA draft alone is enough to jangle one's nerves. Add to that the prospect of entering your first training camp having been the subject of a feature film, and no wonder Young, 22, is bracing for a storm.

"I'm ready for the clowning," he says. "But I hope my future teammates see it first and learn about me before they haze me."

Still, it's a safe bet Young can handle the hazing, for the same reason he's unfazed by hosting a Trojans party in the heart of Bruins country: Nick Young is not alone. His parents Mae and Charles Sr. are keeping a watchful eye from a cafe patio next door. Young's brothers Terrell and John, along with friends and faculty from both Grover Cleveland High and USC, have his back, too.

So ill-tempered Bruins fans and celebrity sycophants beware, because the village that raised this child has come to support the child that lifted them. And now, they're heading into the darkened theater to see this story, their story, come to light.

"Second Chance Season," from Emmy award-winning sports producer and first-time theatrical director Daniel Forer, is more than an exciting sports tale. It's a compelling drama that explores the residual effects of an unfathomable tragedy on a tight-knit family.

In 1991, Nick Young's eldest brother Charles Jr. was shot and killed by a member of the Bloods, L.A.'s notorious street gang. He'd been mistaken for a member of a rival gang while exiting his community college classroom. He died almost instantly.

Charles Young Jr. left behind a fiancée, an unborn child, and a family that has yet to recover. Young's older brother John suffered a breakdown following the senseless murder, and was later committed to a mental institution. As Charles Sr. notes in the film, "One bullet killed two sons."

Nick was only 5 years old at the time of the shooting, but he soon became aware that, as the youngest of the Young boys, he represented the family's last hope for a better future. Even as he clung to this common belief -- that the fulfillment of a hoop dream is suffering's panacea -- he buckled beneath its weight, flunking out of two high schools, Hamilton and Dorsey, where he could no longer stand to attend classes with members of the gang responsible for his brother's murder.

"Some athletes play for themselves, some play for their school, but Nick was playing to heal his family," Forer told me. "When he plays well, they focus on the future. When he doesn't, there's a backslide. It's a heavy responsibility for a kid."

Young would eventually take the bus across Los Angeles to Grover Cleveland High, where his 27.2 points and 10.8 rebounds per game as a senior would draw the attention of several Division I suitors. But to meet the NCAA's academic requirements, Young, a special education student, had to elevate his GPA and SAT score. He'd have only three chances to bring the latter up to 820, and he came up short on the first two.

"I feel if I mess up, the whole world will be mad at me," Young says in film. "I'm supposed to be the future, the savior."

In basketball coach Andre Chevalier, principal Al Weiner and numerous teachers and counselors, Young found the support system he needed to succeed in the classroom. And when that wasn't enough, he received an assist from an unlikely source: Jordan Farmar, the star point guard for hated crosstown rival Taft High School (now with the Lakers). Throughout the season documented in the film, Farmar offered Young words of encouragement and, in one particularly touching scene, an SAT study guide.

It took five years of high school, and three brutal rounds of SATs, but in the end, Young landed a scholarship to USC ("It's medicine for my soul," Young's mother Mae says in the film) and continued to deliver his family a safe haven from their storm.

This past season, the athletic 6-foot-7 junior sharpshooter posted 17.5 points and 4.6 rebounds per game for the Trojans. And following his eyebrow-raising performances at a series of private workouts, Young -- already a surefire first-round pick, has received indications he could be selected as high as seventh by Minnesota or eighth by Charlotte on Thursday.

Young's rising stock led to an unexpected invite to New York, but the latest developments have become a bit of a headache for Forer. He'll follow the Young family to the draft and unveil a new cut of the film, complete with draft footage, at the festival on July 1.

"Every time I think I know where Nick's story is going, it takes a turn," says Forer, who is currently courting offers from five distributors. "It wreaks havoc on my life, but seeing the joy on Nick's face makes it worth it."

When the film ends, the house lights shine and a standing ovation follows, Young gamely, if not enthusiastically, takes to a podium to field questions.

There are hoots and hollers, and even instructions from Chevalier on how to properly hold a microphone ("Always coaching," he allows), but the familiar faces seem to spur Young's confidence. When asked if he plans to finish his education, he takes a comedic beat before wryly admitting he will. And when a hopeful rugrat takes his temperature on potentially going 19th to the Lakers, Young even pokes at a local star: "Hopefully, Kobe will leave and I'll take his place."

Then, at last, the Youngs head into the night -- buoyed by hugs and handshakes but weighted down by the emotions of the past few hours, ever mindful of their journey. After all, there's still the matter of the documentary's most gripping and as yet unresolved plot strand: Through an innovative rehabilitation program, the Young family has been presented with the opportunity to meet Charles Jr.'s paroled killer, who was only 15 at the time of the murder and is now on his way to earning a graduate business degree.

"I'd still like to meet him someday," Nick admits. "It seems like he's on the right track. You can't live with hatred in your heart. Sometimes you need to forgive."

For now, they'll celebrate. Not too hard -- Charles Sr. has work tomorrow -- but an intimate soiree at a nearby restaurant will feature Young's expanded family, including Simone Young, Charles Jr.'s daughter; Jennifer Walker, who would have been Charles Jr.'s wife; and even John Young, who is now spending weekends with his family, proving that while some losses should never be forgotten, they can be overcome.

"It's a great feeling to have so many people supporting me," says Young, who plans to move his family from Culver City to a safer neighborhood in Porter Ranch. "We all feel like family, so by me making it, I'm making it for everybody.

"It's like I'm living a dream."

Better leave some in the tank. The dream continues Thursday.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:01 am

Bresnahan in today's rag Times says Lakers have him penciled in as starting small forward to replace Metta with his amnesty used by the team.
LTLakerFan

Postby Ludachris on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 am

chingy248 wrote:Image

Wait, did we sign Nick Cannon or Nick Young?
Buck Foston, LA Rules
Ludachris

Postby karacha on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:15 am

Good signing. Let the kid run and shoot until Kobe comes back. Same goes for Farmar, Meeks and Sasha (if we sign him).
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 am

Career :
4053 FGA , 421 assists :man10:

What a crappy signing. We should have kept Ebanks, better yet we can slide Meeks to the starting 2 and Blake can back him up.

With stats like that, I hope he doesn't play one minute this season.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:36 am

wcsoldier81

Postby chingy248 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 am

Ewwwww

Nash
Meeks
Young
Gasol
Kaman

lolwutdefense yolo
chingy248

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 am

chingy248 wrote:Ewwwww

Nash
Meeks
Young
Gasol
Kaman

lolwutdefense yolo

It'll be more like

Nash/Farmar
Blake/Meeks
Young
Hill/Kelly
Gasol/Kaman

We really do need another SF though.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:49 am

And a PF.

I'm not giving Kelly a spot on the team or NBA for that matter until I see him play and show that his foot problem isn't an issue going forward.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby chingy248 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 am

I want to see a lineup of

Nash
Meeks
Young
Kelly
Kaman
chingy248

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 am

chingy248 wrote:I want to see a lineup of

Nash
Meeks
Young
Kelly
Kaman

So do 29 other teams in the NBA.
Doc Brown

Postby chingy248 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:05 am

Doc Brown wrote:

Nash
Meeks
Young
Kelly
Kaman

and so does Mike D'antoni
chingy248

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:09 am

chingy248 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Nash
Meeks
Young
Kelly
Kaman

and so does Mike D'antoni

.....and Bron and Melo and all the other big small forwards. Who's guarding them now seriously? :man10: Dan says who cares, right?
LTLakerFan

Postby SK8 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:14 am

btw before he was Laker, he had about 80k folowers......NOW, 102,074 :bow:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:22 am

Uncle Drew wrote:

btw before he was Laker, he had about 80k folowers......NOW, 102,074 :bow:

do you know how many people unfollowed superwoman after he left?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 am

Number 0! sorry Glock...
Ariza3

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 am

He also shoots over 80% from the line, that's always good. :jam2:
XXIV

Postby gcclaker on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:21 am

XXIV wrote:He also shoots over 80% from the line, that's always good. :jam2:

Well our FT % already went up this past Saturday. This only adds to it.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:45 am

Doc Brown wrote:

Nash
Meeks
Young
Kelly
Kaman

LOL. No matter what lineup we throw out there.....we are going to suck big time on defense.
borri

Postby Socrates on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 am

I've always wanted Nick Young as a Laker... always thought he'd be a good points-off-the-bench guy, and be able to help Kobe a bit with the scoring. It's only a 1-yr deal so if he doesn't work out, no harm done.
Socrates

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion