Nick Young Discussion: Torn Thumb Ligament, Out 8 Weeks (59)

Re: Lakers sign Nick Young (p. 4)

Postby King of Clutch on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:23 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:He makes JR Smith look like an unselfish player ...

Career :
4053 FGA , 421 assists :man10:

I think he's going to be a disaster under MDA green light system... well at least we have another player who can have big nights here and there

Lol who in their right mind expects nick young to be a playmaker? And he's still the second best sg on the roster no matter how you look at it, and is a great pickup.

And what's with the whole stats things nowadays. Nick young's job on the bench is to SCORE. Same with Crawford on Clippers, Kevin Martin on the Thunder, and Danny Green on the spurs. It's a team game. Lol, leave the floor general duties to Farmar.
King of Clutch

Postby jlkr on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:00 pm

He can fill the bucket from the perimeter. That's a team need for MDA's style. Going to need a lot of that if Pau and Hill are to score inside.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Kerppo on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:21 pm

If he gets some more strength during summer he might be playing ok at SF.
Kerppo

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 pm

@mcten: Kupchak on Nick Young: "Although it's a short contract, we hope he would be here for a very long time"

This would be huge, especially if we can rebuild the roster to championship contention. Perfect 6th man.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
@mcten: Kupchak on Nick Young: "Although it's a short contract, we hope he would be here for a very long time"

This would be huge, especially if we can rebuild the roster to championship contention. Perfect 6th man.

PG/Bryant/Anthony/James/Pau Gasol/Nick Young

Boom! Let's get the train rolling!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Why aren't we praising Mitch and yes Jim for the moves they have been making since the coward ran to the country?

Young is a great pick up
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Why aren't we praising Mitch and yes Jim for the moves they have been making since the coward ran to the country?

Young is a great pick up

Because I think there's a lot of people still bitter that we're going to be an "okay" team this season. That's okay. They'll come around.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:34 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:Why aren't we praising Mitch and yes Jim for the moves they have been making since the coward ran to the country?

Young is a great pick up

It should be known now that Jim only receives feedback for bad moves. :man10:
XXIV

Postby denimPortugal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:43 pm

Welcome, Nick 'Swagy'! He's one of us, so I wish him the best,and hope he can stay more than 1 year!
denimPortugal

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:46 pm

“@KevinDing: Lakers expectations in 2013-14? @NickSwagyPYoung: "Anything less than a ring for @kobebryant, I think, is going to be disappointing."”
Ariza3

Postby denimPortugal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 pm

denimPortugal

Postby TheOp on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I have a feeling hel be riding the pine by Game 10 under Dantoni. :man10:
TheOp

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:52 pm

I actually don't like hearing that Young expects to be our starting SF. I thought finally we had found a guy that could get Kobe's minutes down and be a backup (and starting while Kobe is out) SG. Now I fear we'll see the same old crap, Meeks and Blake at SG with small lineups, which I can't stand. I would have liked to see us sign a real SF with the minimum, and add CDR as the backup, which still probably needs to happen as you can't have just one SF. I thought Young and Farmar maybe with Hill could be a nice bench, so I'm not sure what our bench is now. Makes me think 'Antoni will go 8-9 man rotation rather than 10 as usual, increasing player minutes and injury chances, don't like that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:53 pm

“@mcten: Nick Young on Dwight: "That was the first time I've ever seen anybody wanting to leave L.A. ... And I'm from here"”
Ariza3

Postby unpossibl1 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Mitch and Jim have done a fantastic job adding pieces with only minimum, 1 year contracts to offer. Kaman, Farmar, Young, then cap it off with LO and we are set. I'm mostly excited to see what Farmar, Young, and Hill do this season. All young guys playing on one year contracts with something to prove. If (and it's a big if) Hill can get 30+ mpg then I think we will see a double double out of him with a couple of blocks, which is extremely solid. With Ron gone Young should get plenty of minutes at SF, where he will definitely struggle on the defensive end but long term I think we are auditioning him to be firepower off the bench once we add some free agents/our draft pick next year. As for Farmar, he needs to prove he can be a solid NBA backup again. From what I've read the Lakers plan to deal Blake at some point this season for cap space to drop them below the tax line (and to avoid the repeater tax) so that should give Farmar plenty of time to prove himself.

Our opening day lineup right now looks to be:

Nash
Meeks (assuming Kobe is still rehabbing)
Young
HIll
Pau

Obviously not great, but I think it's good enough to keep us respectable while giving us a decent shot at a franchise-altering draft pick next summer. Then we swing for the fences in free agency. I'm actually getting pretty excited for next season!
unpossibl1

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm

“@Lakers: Kupchak on Young: “We think there’s a lot of playing time here for him if he works hard. We see him playing at the small forward position.””

“@mcten: Nick Young: "I grew up in L.A. It's a dream come true"”

“@mcten: Nick Young: "Growing up in L.A., Kobe was an idol for me"”
Ariza3

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Young is a great pick up

Because I think there's a lot of people still bitter that we're going to be an "okay" team this season. That's okay. They'll come around.

shameful too. Thinking about what the Lakers have done over the last three years is actually pretty amazing. We had CP3 (and essentially Dwight) but it got hosed. We switched and still got Dwight but injuries and Dwights missing heart killed us. This year we are flipping everything into 1 year deals while making a team that should be able to do some serious damage. Guess its easier to not give credit when its due.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:58 pm

“@mcten: Nick Young is so happy to be a Laker, he left the practice arena for the day still wearing his gold jersey over his polo shirt and jeans”
:jam2:
Ariza3

Postby XXIV on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Weezy wrote:I actually don't like hearing that Young expects to be our starting SF. I thought finally we had found a guy that could get Kobe's minutes down and be a backup (and starting while Kobe is out) SG. Now I fear we'll see the same old crap, Meeks and Blake at SG with small lineups, which I can't stand. I would have liked to see us sign a real SF with the minimum, and add CDR as the backup, which still probably needs to happen as you can't have just one SF. I thought Young and Farmar maybe with Hill could be a nice bench, so I'm not sure what our bench is now. Makes me think 'Antoni will go 8-9 man rotation rather than 10 as usual, increasing player minutes and injury chances, don't like that.

I agree, but there's still plenty of time for the Lakers to grab a SF or two and hopefully even if he does start at SF he'll have a serviceable backup to share those minutes. Young is most effective at the 2 especially defensively because he doesn't have the build to guard the larger 3s in the league.
XXIV

Postby denimPortugal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
“@mcten: Nick Young is so happy to be a Laker, he left the practice arena for the day still wearing his gold jersey over his polo shirt and jeans”

:man10: :bow:
denimPortugal

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Young is a great pick up

shameful too. Thinking about what the Lakers have done over the last three years is actually pretty amazing. We had CP3 (and essentially Dwight) but it got hosed. We switched and still got Dwight but injuries and Dwights missing heart killed us. This year we are flipping everything into 1 year deals while making a team that should be able to do some serious damage. Guess its easier to not give credit when its due.

It really is great work by them. I'm not sure most fans appreciate it because they don't look at teams like Charlotte, Portland, or Detroit. They don't realize that the work we're doing here is a step above most other teams. They're spoiled.

That's okay. Maybe the rest of us can kick back and enjoy this season. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

This I do like hearing, I'm hoping he signed here on a one year deal with the belief that he will get paid more on a multi-year deal next offseason.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Aonex on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:13 pm

denimPortugal wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

:man10: :bow:

Ata boy!
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion