Now That We Have Malone & Payton...What About The Bench?

Now That We Have Malone & Payton...What About The Bench?

Postby DMoNeY on Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:26 pm

Well Lakers fans, we got 2 Hall of Famers in Malone and Payton. Our starting line up looks very solid. What about our bench players? Here is what our line-up looks like currently:

PG Gary Payton, Derek Fisher, Jannero Pargo
SG Kobe Bryant, Kareem Rush
SF Devean George, Rick Fox (IR), Luke Walton
PF Karl Malone, Brian Cook, Slava Medvedenko
C Shaquille O'Neal

We have exactly 12 players on the roster, but we have to remember that Rick Fox is probably out until January, leaving us with 11 guys. Remember, Payton is coming for the MLE, and Karl Malone is coming for the Veteran's Minimum. That means we still have the LLE to use and an unlimited amount to use the Veteran's Minimum.
Here are some available players we can pursue, I have only listed guys we have a legitimate shot at getting, and guys that can make an impact:

PG Damon Jones, Steve Kerr, Travis Best, Kenny Anderson, Tyronn Lue
SG Antonio Daniels, Steve Smith, Jon Barry, Erick Strickland, Eddie
House, Anthony Peeler
SF Eric Piatkowski, Adrian Griffin, Walt Williams, Kendal Gill, Scottie
Pippen, Jimmy Jackson, Lee Nailon
PF Gary Trent, Popeye Jones, Darvin Ham, Tyrone Hill
C Scott Williams, Elden Campbell, Vladimir Stepania

Frankly, I would choose Scott Williams as back up Center to Shaquille, he knows the triangle already, and Eric Piatkowski because we definitely need more sharp shooters. The Lakers also have not ruled out possibilities of trading away some players. Names such as Fisher, Slava, and Rush are all possible trade baits.

Post what you think on what the Lakers should do with getting better bench players. If we get deeper on the bench, we will be unstoppable.
DMoNeY

Postby SWOL on Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:41 pm

these seem to be the best of the bunch

1 Jim Jackson (knows the triangle)
2 Tyrone Hill
3 Elden Campbell
4 Gary Trent
5 Jon Barry

I like Peeler but he'll get better offers
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby L.A. Dynasty on Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:46 pm

What about Horry? Isn't it still a possibility that we could resign him at a lesser rate?
"What matters is the name on the front of your jersey."
- Kobe Bryant (Start listening to your own quotes you big baby!)
L.A. Dynasty

Postby LakerFan1972 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:27 pm

With the free agent market the way it is I would be surprised if Horry could get more than the vet min.

We have a great roster with the two Hall of Famer's coming on board, but our team looks to be lite on triangle experience in some positions especially at PF.

It might make Karl Malone and Brian Cook's transition a little easier if we could bring Horry or maybe even Madsen back.

I would also like to see a SG/SF vet with both defense and 3-pointer skills. That might be Jon Barry or Jim Jackson. It might be fun to lure JJ to LA just to annoy the Kings. I think they would miss him.
LakerFan1972

Postby fletchwon on Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:33 pm

How does Jim Jackson know the triangle?

You mean the musical instrument?
fletchwon

Postby LakerFan1972 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:53 pm

fletchwon wrote:How does Jim Jackson know the triangle?

You mean the musical instrument?

Laker Assistant Coach Jim Clemons was JJ's head coach in Dallas where Clemons implemented the triangle. That was just before Don Nelson got to Dallas.
LakerFan1972

Alonzo who?

Postby Poobah on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:03 pm

Hi folks,

I just registered but I've been lurking for a few years. Been a Lakers fan since the early 80s.

What about Alonzo Mourning now? Apparently he's looking mortality in the face and wants to win a championship before his health gets the better of him. This is some of what he said in an article I just read:

Like many other players with a limited window left on their careers, Mourning says the realistic chance of winning an elusive first championship - not money - will play the largest role in his decision.

"I understand my value and I understand what I'm able to bring to the game," Mourning said. "And I know that there's a lot of teams just trying to get to that championship level and they're a piece or two away from doing it."

The last piece we're looking for now is a back-up center. What do we have to offer him? And do you think he'd take minimal pay to win a ring?

His odds are much greater with this Lakers team than with anyone else.
Poobah

Now that we have Malone and Payton....... What about the ben

Postby OJ2 on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:08 pm

You can see what I think by reading previous topic : What about Pippen, has anyone heard anything?
OJ2

Postby SWOL on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:23 pm

Mourning is getting far better offers from Dallas and NJ, and Pippen would make us really really old....Gary Trent or Ty Hill would be a better more realistic fit
SWOL

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:44 pm

we should just resign HORRY and we can run 2 powerforwards in SHAQ's rest period. HORRY and MALONE may not block many shots but they are pretty clever in slapping the ball aways from the opposition.

I don't think we need a back-up center really. YAO in the only true legit center in the league besides SHAQ and maybe Divacs.... everyone else who has gave us trouble in the past were NOT centers they were DUNCAN/WEBBER/GARNETT/Wallace.... (ALL POWER FORWARDS)
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby joshua on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:53 pm

what about the mad dog? madsen deserves a spot if he's willing to sign for little $$$$$
joshua

Postby Coppertop on Fri Jul 11, 2003 12:45 am

Speaking of which...Why the heck is Duncan a power forward now. Somebody please explain this to me. He is 7'1, 260, has every move in the book on the low post, rebounds 13 a game, blocks 3 a game, rejects shots by SHAQ, and yet he's a power forward. Admiral is gone now, so can this guy just accept that he's a friggin CENTER! GEEZ! Robert Parish would've been a shooting guard with this criteria in mind.
Coppertop

Postby lakers frizzo on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:06 am

they truth is if mourning wants a ring before he retires the only place hes going to get one is la cause were taking the next 3 minimum and exactly how many years past that is he planing to play? he would be a perfect fit in la and his aquisition would extend shaqs career if zo can play all the games a season at only 15 minutes-20 minutes a game. i havent heard a peep about this from a creditable source though so it is purely speculation.
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Mad dog?

Postby topcat61 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:43 pm

Please- I like seeing Madsen do his Herman Munster dance as much as anyone, but unless he's willing to sign for the absolut minimum, then no Madsen. There must be better options than Madsen. Trent, Campbell even. We need a serious bench. IF we could trade Madsen straight up (and lets assume all the salaries were the same), who could we get for Madsen? Would the Kings swap Pollard for Madsen? Would the Spurs swap Stephen Jackson or ancient Kevin Willis? I think we can wait a while on Madsen; let's see who else woudl be interested in coming to LA now that we have the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse signed up. You've got to think that guys like Peeler, Barry, Piat (maybe), Trent, Lue, would be drooling to come here. If things don't pan out for someone like that, I am sure Madsen will be around for a long wait.
Laker fan since JW hit his famous 55 ft jumper against the Knicks, 1970. First game I ever watched. Loved the Lakers with the cool uniforms.
topcat61

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:49 pm

EXACTLY HOW MUCH CAN WE OFFER HORRY??????
SWOL

Postby Coppertop on Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:55 pm

Technically, we can offer Horry up to a 5 or 6 max deal worth upwards of 100 million, the nba maximum salary for someone his age. Since he was already on the team, we can use the Larry Bird exception on him. The bottom line is that Buss does not want to pay him too much, because we are over the luxury tax threshold. If we were to pay him 4 mil a year, Buss would really be spending 8 mil. So it all depends on what Buss is willing to spend on Rob.
Coppertop

Postby PDuBnLALady34 on Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:26 pm

I like the idea of getting Jon Barry
PDuBnLALady34

Postby DMoNeY on Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:49 pm

I seriously dont think bringing back Horry is the answer to our problems. We need an established big man, preferably Scott Williams or Elden Campbell. I know these guys are old, but they have the experience and they can also play solid minutes while Shaq is sitting. Frankly, i think Shaq needs to play 35 minutes a game, he gets tired as the game goes. We need someone who can play solid in those 13 minutes.

Sean Rooks? Didnt we get rid of him because it wasnt working out?

Eric Chenowith? Bust in Kansas? Where was he playing last season? NBDL anyone?

I like the idea of Gary Trent, good player, showed a lot of good signs against the Lakers in the playoffs, pretty good fit as well.

I think for an athletic player or shooter, you cant go wrong with Pike or JJ or Steve Smith or Jon Barry. Either of those guys will work, besides LA just became an even more exciting place to play.
DMoNeY

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:37 pm

Scott Williams sucks [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]......he is like 140 years old.......seriously i'd rather have John Salley, than him he is GARBAGE

enough about Williams ..... Ty Hill and Elden are far better, even Gary Trent

Scott Williams is a piece of crap
SWOL

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:43 pm

Elden would be nice, assuming he and Shaq play nice. :boxing1:
Danny Ainge

Lakers Bench

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:25 pm

What the lakers need is to have shaq daddy get on the phone again and convince Jimmy Jackson and Antonio daniels to sign for the min, or have a sign and trade deal worked out so we can have some good good play off the bench. Pargo, Rush, and Madvendenko are not the futures of the lakers, they need to be shipped off. Pargo and Rush are lighting up the summer league, but that is a bogus league. jimmy jackson would bea great sixth man, and antonio daniels would too.

Postby Danny Ainge on Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:40 pm

Again we encourage all guests to leave a name, we promise to be fair and non-judgemental. You bring up some good points but let me remind you of the Blazers and how a surpluss of talent can often lead to a feud amongst personel. Jim Jackson is know as a virus to all of his previous team. Is this someone the Lakers want in their clubhouse?
Danny Ainge

Postby SWOL on Sat Jul 12, 2003 7:14 pm

watched the summer league game today.........rush looked GOOD, pargo took alot of shots, and Cook looked real soft, very disappointing.........Chris bosh is the real deal
SWOL

Postby Mike on Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:52 pm

Well oviously if your ringing 2 starters to the team u move the old starters to the bench n have a descent bench.
Mike

Postby SWOL on Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:38 am

WE NEED A BIG MAN
SWOL

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion