OFFICAL KOBE TRADE PROPOSALS THREAD

Re:

Postby Armani on Mon May 13, 2013 2:01 pm

JSM wrote:I would trade Shaq first, but if we had to trade Kobe, here are some possibilities.

Kobe

for

Ray Allen and Ronald Murray
--------------------------------
Kobe

for

Quentin Richardson and Elton Brand
-----------------------------------------
Kobe and George

for

Caron Butler, Wade, and Jones
-----------------------------------
Kobe and George

for

T-Mac, Lue, and Gooden
----------------------------
Kobe

for

AI and Dalembert
---------------------
Kobe and Slava

for

Vince, Bosh, and Peterson

Damn, some of these trades. Trying to imagine Q-Rich and Brand instead of Kobe.
Armani

Re: OFFICAL KOBE TRADE PROPOSALS THREAD

Postby Chillbongo on Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

So did the league suck back then or was Kobe overrated?

Or was it that Mitch didn't buy his magic wand yet?
Chillbongo

Re:

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon May 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:
strikemode14 wrote:Kobe aint going nowhere...management wants him and kobe knows he will get all the money he wants, the coach he wants and the players he wants he is in full control

Exactly....this thread is now void seeing how Kobe has got Buss and the Laker organization by the balls.....I love Kobe as a player (loved him as a person too, before he messed up on Vanessa and his new born Natalia), but lets just say we swapped Kobe and MJ in the same scenario we were in with the Pistons in the Finals.....MJ would have not let us lose that series with all the resources we had.....MJ found ways to win....Kobe found ways to get himself shots.....theres the discrepancy people and until Kobe doesn't conform to winning (which is with Shaq by the way) then the Lakers organization will see dark days....even with Kobe running the show! :bang:

I'm sorry but I'm calling you out on this one Vash....lol.
FabFourLakers

Postby Weezy on Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

You can't call him out on something he said almost a decade ago. Most fans back then were choosing sides, it was Shaq Laker fans vs Kobe Laker fans almost. And Kobe did have a bad Pistons series, from what I remember he decided to try and be the man that series and perhaps go for Finals MVP for the first time when Shaq couldn't be guarded.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon May 13, 2013 4:31 pm

2004 Finals was horrible. Everybody was bad. Shaq, Phil & Kobe included. The glue that was holding the team together was injured and could barely play (Malone). Shaq and Kobe were the only guys on the team who averaged double figures in points for that series. Slava and Fisher both reached 10 points once and that was a blowout in game 5.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Re:

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon May 13, 2013 6:38 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:
strikemode14 wrote:Kobe aint going nowhere...management wants him and kobe knows he will get all the money he wants, the coach he wants and the players he wants he is in full control

Exactly....this thread is now void seeing how Kobe has got Buss and the Laker organization by the balls.....I love Kobe as a player (loved him as a person too, before he messed up on Vanessa and his new born Natalia), but lets just say we swapped Kobe and MJ in the same scenario we were in with the Pistons in the Finals.....MJ would have not let us lose that series with all the resources we had.....MJ found ways to win....Kobe found ways to get himself shots.....theres the discrepancy people and until Kobe doesn't conform to winning (which is with Shaq by the way) then the Lakers organization will see dark days....even with Kobe running the show! :bang:

I'm sorry but I'm calling you out on this one Vash....lol.

Thanks Weez, but I got this....

Kobe did have the organization by the balls...fire Phil, trade Shaq and the next day, he resigns.
This wasn't the Kobe we see out there doing anything he can FOR the team...this was a Kobe that wanted a team FOR him. His way, or he's donning Clipper red, white and blue.

Even though its the most recent version of him, lets look past Suns/Cavs/Celtics :mad1: Shaq...let's instead pay attention to the Heat version. In year 1, he helped the Heat to the 2nd best record in the league and and they were a Game 7 win (against the defending champ Pistons) away from going to the Finals. The next year, they took that step and won a title.

Before he got traded, Shaq was asking for a 3 year extension. He gave Miami a good 2 years and he wasn't so shabby in year 3, but if LA wanted to trade him then, he would have been a huge expiring K.

I have no doubt that you paired up Shaq and Kobe for 2 to 3 more years and we could have got another title. An immature Kobe at that time wanted to be the man and it took us to a place where we hadn't been for 11 years...outside the playoffs, looking in.

The one thing I did like about the experience is that Kobe grew the F up. After getting past the Colorado thing, he focused on hoops...he made amends and asked for Phil back...he knew he needed help and forced for it to come by demanding a trade. That is where my MJ comment stems from. MJ had an ego, but at the same time he knew how much a guy like Pippen helped him in getting rings. Meanwhile Shaq and Kobe took each other for granted. Both were idiots, but at that time, IMHO, Kobe held all the cards and decided to muck 'em. You can't deny Shaq wanted an extension...so he wanted stay. Phil had Jeanie and after a year sabbitical he returned, so he wanted to stay....yet both got thrown to the curb.

Missing the playoffs, Chucky Fatkins, Tierrble Brown, Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm, Brian Grant, Shamu Williams...is it dark enough for you?...or would you like me to continue?

The dark days came and then they ended...but not after 4 years of not being a true title contender.

Now I'm calling you out Fab4....was I right, or wasn't I? :man9:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Mon May 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Doc Brown wrote:What were you guys doing here back then?

Much like a 15 year old boys browsing history when his mom is on his computer.......this should have been deleted so no one could see. :man10:

Or a middle aged guy when his wife is on the computer. :man10:
snackdaddy

Postby Weezy on Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm

I do understand Kobe not wanting to play with Shaq 3 more years though, being a huge part of the Lakers getting the Lakers to the Finals every season and then watching Shaq win Finals MVPs. He wanted to win on his own and I get that, he wanted an MJ type legacy, not Pippen. And even though he was more an equal partner than a sidekick, that's not how the media would have viewed it, especially since they love Shaq and Kobe had become a villain. I thought Shaq was declining in 2004 anyway, he was out of shape more than ever, and he was missing more gimmes than he ever had all season, it was strange, I was not sad to see him go.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm

This should be locked
D.B. Cooper

Postby dj vitus on Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 pm

:toilet3:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 13, 2013 9:34 pm

dj vitus wrote::toilet3:

Paul Pierce huh?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dj vitus on Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
dj vitus wrote::toilet3:

Paul Pierce huh?

Yup, Paul freakin Pierce.

:man6:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby karacha on Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Many of those players were good, very good even. But they got old, and Kobe continued to play at the elite level. Unbelievable.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Legendary on Mon May 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Even though it's fun to jump in the DeLorean and revisit these threads...it leads to nothing but bitter rebuttals and "I-told-you-so's"...after the fact.

Hell...I was a proponent of bringing Jermaine O'Neal here....I even made a sig for it. :freak2:

I'll say this, it's a good thing none of us actually have Mitch's job.
Legendary

Postby 432J on Tue May 14, 2013 6:53 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:

what a treat to see this! almost ten years ago too. i cant help but just shake my head and laugh at most of these. kobe for q-rich and brand? or better yet, my favorite so far, kobe for mobley and maurice taylor!

was this a result of people panicking after the finals loss to detroit or was he really that undervalued back then? from what i remember, it's not like he had a terrible season. yes there was the trial and then the loss in the finals but he had a pretty good season from what i recall. shaq on the other hand, had a pretty bad season that year. he looked more out of shape and not into the game than he ever had before. dude was pretty much done by then anyways, he had like 2 more great seasons before becoming a journeyman
432J

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue May 14, 2013 7:02 am

Kobe was not under valued. He was threatening to leave. So this was the result of his threat, a trade thread. No shame in giving opinion on the matter. I should know, I wanted Dampier for Shaq, which was my first post on CL. :bang: :bang: :bang:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 am

Legendary wrote:Even though it's fun to jump in the DeLorean and revisit these threads...it leads to nothing but bitter rebuttals and "I-told-you-so's"...after the fact.

Hell...I was a proponent of bringing Jermaine O'Neal here....I even made a sig for it. :freak2:

This x 100. I know it's a forum and we're all entitled to give our opinions, obviously. Also, you can't judge somebody from a proposed trade involving Kobe almost 10 years ago. Different circumstances altogether. WTS, most of us (including myself) have knee jerk reactions and want to act out of impulse trading somebody or firing someone when it doesn't meet our criteria. Mitch has done a fantastic job in that regard; staying calm, patient, and putting the best product on the floor, so our team could win championships. Is he perfect? Nope. But he's one of the better GM's in the league, and I'm glad we have him.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 am

Legendary wrote:Even though it's fun to jump in the DeLorean and revisit these threads...it leads to nothing but bitter rebuttals and "I-told-you-so's"...after the fact.

shoot, i wanted to trade Kobe for Weber and Peja back in the day
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Forklift on Tue May 14, 2013 11:43 am

lol i leave for about a month and find this thread on the front page lol. Gave me a scary how crazy you guys went then realized that it was an old thread lolol.
Forklift

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Omg! :bang: :man10:
Jazzygirl205

Postby JGC on Tue May 14, 2013 2:21 pm

dwighthowardsdad wrote:

This x 100. I know it's a forum and we're all entitled to give our opinions, obviously. Also, you can't judge somebody from a proposed trade involving Kobe almost 10 years ago. Different circumstances altogether. WTS, most of us (including myself) have knee jerk reactions and want to act out of impulse trading somebody or firing someone when it doesn't meet our criteria. Mitch has done a fantastic job in that regard; staying calm, patient, and putting the best product on the floor, so our team could win championships. Is he perfect? Nope. But he's one of the better GM's in the league, and I'm glad we have him.

But people need to be held accountable for the things they say. Also, going back also helps establish who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.
JGC

Postby Punk-101 on Tue May 14, 2013 2:43 pm

JGC wrote:
But people need to be held accountable for the things they say. Also, going back also helps establish who actually knows what they're talking about and who doesn't.

True. Some posters like to use shame, with condescending and smug posting styles in addition to the facts and reasoned arguments to make their point. Threads like this serve them well.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Tue May 14, 2013 3:02 pm

JGC wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:

Not sure if serious, but if so, people don't need to be held accountable for things they said a decade ago. People change, opinions change, circumstances change, players change, hell the NBA changes, that's way too long to be held accountable. I wouldn't even want to be held accountable for things I said 2 or3 seasons ago, players I wanted or was happy to see signed or traded for, things change, or you learn as you go.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue May 14, 2013 3:04 pm

^^ I see what was done there :man12:
Chillbongo

Postby Frank Dux on Tue May 14, 2013 10:36 pm

JGC wrote:

100% of CL members have come up with a stupid trade idea, or a bad player evaluation at some point. No poster should be held accountable for a post that is ten years old. Don't you think that's a bit jerk-ish and smug? It's just a forum...
Frank Dux

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion