(Official?) Lakers Drama Thread

(Official?) Lakers Drama Thread

Postby NeeJee on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Before you read any further, let me make a disclaimer that this thread is not to promote and encourage the constant drama that plagues our beloved Los Angeles Lakers, but to debunk and make sense of, and for us to simply vent our frustrations with how the drama may be incorrectly portrayed.

The NBA and all of sports for that matter would just not be the same without drama from good ol' La La Land Lakres. I would like to dedicate this thread to all of the dumb, pointless, childish drama that the media (TV, radio, internet, etc.) creates from the smallest things. I'm so sick of the media twisting and manipulating the simplest statements from Lakers players and turning them into situations of "turmoil".

This is somewhat of a "WMC" thread for not the games or performance of the team, but for the frustrations with how our Lakers and our players are built up then torn to shreds by the good ol' media. ESPN is the main culprit. Our beloved world wide leader in sports is the main culprit of the negativity that currently surrounds our team.

Our team is performing badly and far below our expectations and potential, but all of this negative press doesn't help at all. The dynamics of a basketball team and the effects of negativity amongst teammates are familiar to me. A truly strong team will have the ability to block out all negativity to their very best, but we are all simply human. Even the most cohesive and high chemistry teams can be affected by negativity.

My "beef" is with ESPN on this day. The comments that Kobe made about (NOT towards) Dwight are simply his personal opinion. Dwight even said it himself in his response. It is his own opinion that he believes Dwight should fight through the injury to help the team, especially since Pau went down. Dwight wants to play. I don't question his love and commitment for the game. We, as Lakers fans are simply spoiled by Kobe and his tremendous ability to play through injuries. His pain threshold is unbelievable. Dwight's threshold may not be as high, and we need to understand that. Kobe needs to understand that, and I believe he does. These guys have been friends for years. They need each other, and they know it. There is no animosity between the two. The only maliciousness in the comments that Kobe made was injected by the media.

I swear Kobe and Dwight are probably just laughing at this crap right now. The only reason Dwight looks so angry and agitated is because he's so sick and tired of all of these reporters asking about this nonsense. These reporters ask a lot of leading questions, and he knows it. They try to fish any type of negativity out of a statement, and run with it. A majority of these "comments" that reporters throw out there are completely out of context. It's just like a rumor you spread around. By the time that rumor reaches the 10th or 20th person, it's completely different.

I got home from work and flipped on ESPN. I seriously could not watch more than 5 more minutes because of how badly they're making Kobe look. Then of course, the anchors start talking about "Will Dwight leave at the end of the year?", "Can Kobe ever play with Dwight?" I could not tolerate it anymore.

Anyone else share my annoyance?
NeeJee

Re: (Official?) Lakers Drama Thread

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:59 pm

ESPN loves drama, and what's better drama than the Lakers sucking and having turmoil from within? We are more talked about on ESPN right now than any time we were ever winning titles, OKC and Miami are a distant second, the Knicks are starting to disappear from SportsCenter altogether, and you wouldn't even know San Antonio still had an NBA team if you only followed ESPN. That's just how they are, that's what sells, people love to hate the Lakers like they do the Yankees and all other franchises that are always on top.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby scissors on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:01 pm

You can make a reality show about the Lakers. :man1:
scissors

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:03 pm

This season is brutal.

Hopefully dwight can stay healthy and we can keep winning to keep this tension under the surface.
phoenixrisingla

Postby NeeJee on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:06 pm

That's the thing, I don't think there is any tension at all. I think the locker room is just fine. I think Kobe and Dwight's relationship is just fine.
NeeJee

Postby cleverdevil on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:38 pm

^ I agree. I think there is tension stemming from the ridiculous luck with injuries and corresponding sub .500 record at the ASB, but I think the inner turmoil rumors are overplayed. I don't see it in my head with Kobe and MWP in one corner whispering bad things about Dwight and Dwight and Duhon in the other corner whispering stuff about Kobe. Its just too good a story for the media to pile on with "the sky is falling in LA" headline.
cleverdevil

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:50 pm

NeeJee wrote:That's the thing, I don't think there is any tension at all. I think the locker room is just fine. I think Kobe and Dwight's relationship is just fine.

I don't believe that at all, I don't see how a team as talented as we are could lose as much as we have without chemistry issues and tension. And I really do get the feeling watching them play together and speak about one another to the media that Dwight and Kobe don't exactly love eachother. I think to say everything is just fine is to be in a bit of denial, things might not be awful (and I don't think they are overall), but I don't think they're just fine either. Dwight for wxample, was clearly not happy about Kobe's comments today.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby NeeJee on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 pm

How do you know he wasn't just upset at the press hounding him about it and fishing for answers? If you watch the whole thing, Dwight looked annoyed to start. He didn't get upset once he heard what he said. In fact, he hadn't ever heard about what he said until a reporter told him.
NeeJee

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 pm

I don't know, it's just my opinion honestly. That's just how I see it, Dwight doesn't look happy here, doesn't seem like he likes Kobe much because there is ALWAYS some story about them, and where there's smoke there's fire, just like with Shaq and Kobe. Eventually if stuff KEEPS coming out I have to think there is at least something to it, and looking at Howard's body language on the court tonight, I'm not getting a feeling things are all just fine.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:08 pm

it's just like the shaq-kobe "feud." there wasn't much of a "feud", it was the media exaggerating things 100x bigger than they really are
432J

Return to Lakers Discussion