Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Re: Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:47 am

Weezy wrote:As far as I remember, Phil never pulled that crap with any other team, and always hated that Pop did it. I agree and it's not just because Dwight is on our team, I wouldn't want our team doing it to another team either. It's a joke, it's not basketball, it's cheap, and something should be done with the rules to fix it.

if memory serves me right PJax did it against the Spurs in like the first quarter to piss Pop off. I could be wrong but I was sure he did
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 am

Rules are rules ... any pro player who can't make at least 70% of his FT is a joke
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:25 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Rules are rules ... any pro player who can't make at least 70% of his FT is a joke

^^ That's a wee bit harsh, IMO. Bigs are a little different. Shaq, Wilt and Bill Russell all shot lower career FT% than Howard (low to mid 50%). None of those guys qualify as a joke.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:30 am

I don't there are valid excuses bigs or smalls ... I don't ask them to shoot 90% but 70% ... plenty of them have done it
wcsoldier81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:49 am

If you take away the changes that Shaq, Wilt, and Bill have forced the NBA to make, you would have a game dominated by bigs. No restricted arc, so bigs can step in and swat any guy who drives to the basket. No seconds-in-the-paint rule, so bigs can camp out near the rim. No offensive/defensive interference, so bigs can control the rim. No three-point arc, so bigs can control the scoring.

Bigs are severely handicapped in the modern game. It's become a game that favors perimeter players.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby kenshi1023 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:If you take away the changes that Shaq, Wilt, and Bill have forced the NBA to make, you would have a game dominated by bigs. No restricted arc, so bigs can step in and swat any guy who drives to the basket. No seconds-in-the-paint rule, so bigs can camp out near the rim. No offensive/defensive interference, so bigs can control the rim. No three-point arc, so bigs can control the scoring.

Bigs are severely handicapped in the modern game. It's become a game that favors perimeter players.

you can thank lame duck david stern for that.
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby 432J on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:46 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:If you take away the changes that Shaq, Wilt, and Bill have forced the NBA to make, you would have a game dominated by bigs. No restricted arc, so bigs can step in and swat any guy who drives to the basket. No seconds-in-the-paint rule, so bigs can camp out near the rim. No offensive/defensive interference, so bigs can control the rim. No three-point arc, so bigs can control the scoring.

well said

today's NBA is all about athleticism, speed and shooting. small, quick guards like westbrook, rose, parker, lawson, etc. dominate the game with their speed. the only true centers left are dwight and hibbert. it's a small man's game now and teams that lack athleticism and speed will get killed by small PG's like westbrook and barea time after time (sound familiar?)
432J

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion