Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Re: Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Postby dmaul on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:44 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:yea, i think it's safe to say phil will never coach the lakers again.

I thought it was rather odd that we keep going back to this guy over and over. He's like the Wolf in Pulp Fiction. We're stuck in a jam and we call Phil to come in and clean up the mess.
dmaul

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Mike Bresnahan @Mike_Bresnahan
Just talked to Phil J. He's in a good mood. Chatty, reflective. But didn't like Lakers calling him at midnight to say he didn't get job.

Phil J: "It could've been much more circumspect + respectful of everybody involved. It seemed slimy to be awoken with this kind of news."

Jackson laughed at media reports he wanted more front-office power, said he had plenty last time w/ Lakers. "There's nothing about that."

Slimy...the last adjective I would have used...but that's why the man has his own quote thread.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:30 pm

yea waking the man up...pretty classless.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Thenextgreat on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm

I am disappointed in the Laker Organization..it's like they never wanted to hire him in the first place and this was all done for show.
Thenextgreat

Postby Greatest of All Time on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm

Phil Jackson got that fantastically awkward midnight wake-up call from Mitch Kupchak – and got the news that the job Jackson absolutely thought was his to lose had already been won by Mike D'Antoni.

So stunned and groggy was Jackson that he didn't even really ask why. He did manage to straighten up enough to land a typical Jackson straight jab when Kupchak said Jerry Buss, Jim Buss and he all believed D'Antoni was the best coach for the Lakers now.

"I don't," Jackson said. "But OK."
Greatest of All Time

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:12 am

Greatest of All Time wrote:
Phil Jackson got that fantastically awkward midnight wake-up call from Mitch Kupchak – and got the news that the job Jackson absolutely thought was his to lose had already been won by Mike D'Antoni.

So stunned and groggy was Jackson that he didn't even really ask why. He did manage to straighten up enough to land a typical Jackson straight jab when Kupchak said Jerry Buss, Jim Buss and he all believed D'Antoni was the best coach for the Lakers now.

I Agree Phil U Are The Man for the Job!
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am

lakersStan24 wrote:
Greatest of All Time wrote:

I Agree Phil U Are The Man for the Job!

^^ Best parting shot in history as far as I'm concerned.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Closing the chapter on this if Phil does go back into hiding till his book comes out...its appropriate for Baby Zen Master to say the last word:

Q: On why more of Phil Jackson’s assistant coaches don’t have jobs around the league:
Kobe: It seems like all our assistant coaches when they left here, to even mention the word ‘Triangle’ was like taboo. I don’t understand it. I really don’t know the answer to that question. It’s very strange, very bizarre. You would think that organizations and other coaches should try to learn from Phil. That’s what you should try to do, right? If you have a coach that’s won more than anybody in our profession, you would think you’d want to study them and analyze them, and figure out why that’s the case, but they haven’t done it.

Q: On Phil adapting to his players:
Kobe: It’s his theory. It’s his philosophies and things that he lives by. It’s that whole Zen Master thing. He really believes in letting things unfold, letting players develop, letting teams grow into their identity, for guys to communicate with each other and be able to adapt to each other; removing themselves from the equation which is part of the mastery of what he’s done here. If you talk to Michael (Jordan) or myself, we’ll be singing his praises to the heavens. Michael didn’t want to play for any other coach. That’s just how it is.

Q: On what D’Antoni has in common with Jackson:
Kobe: Mike (D’Antoni) has some of the same characteristics in terms of not micromanaging – kind of setting guys up and putting guys in position to be successful. He was probably one altercation away in San Antonio from getting to the Finals.

Q: On what he’s held onto from Phil’s coaching:
Kobe: Everything, everything. I’m basically baby Zen Master.

Q: On if he’s thought about how his career would have turned out if he didn’t have Phil:
Kobe: I don’t know. I probably wouldn’t have learned the game to the depths the way I know now. But I think the thing about Phil (Jackson), (Gregg Popovich) and great coaches is the role player’s play very well. Guys like myself, Shaq (O’Neal), MJ and (Scottie) Pippen, our numbers will always be excellent no matter who you put us with. That’s just what we do. But them instilling confidence in the rest of the team, putting them in position to be successful, allowing them to play the fourth quarter when they blow a lead and let them develop, that’s what makes them great coaches.

Q: On maximizing his star players, too:
Kobe: He’s gotten the most out of their role players. When they play well and they have confidence, me, MJ and Shaq become more dangerous because those guys are playing with more confidence and those guys are making shots. You put us with anybody, our numbers are the same no matter what. But to win championships, those guys have to feel comfortable with their role.

Q: On whether he would have won five titles without Phil:
Kobe: Probably not. If you’re talking about winning championships, that’s what a great coach does – install confidence in the rest of the guys. Make sure they’re comfortable in their roles and that’s how you win championships. If you’re talking about from an individual standpoint, like I say, no matter who’s coaching I’m still going to do what I do, but it’s not going to equate to winning championships. If you’re talking about from an individual standpoint, I’m going to do what I do, but it’s probably not going to equate to championships.

Q: On what he learned from Tex Winter:
Kobe: I used to sit with Tex pretty much every game for two to three hours and watch the entire game and break down film with him. He was like Yoda.

The Zend :man6:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 pm

Closing the chapter on this if Phil does go back into hiding till his book comes out...its only appropriate for Baby Zen Master to say the last word:

Q: On why more of Phil Jackson’s assistant coaches don’t have jobs around the league:
Kobe: It seems like all our assistant coaches when they left here, to even mention the word ‘Triangle’ was like taboo. I don’t understand it. I really don’t know the answer to that question. It’s very strange, very bizarre. You would think that organizations and other coaches should try to learn from Phil. That’s what you should try to do, right? If you have a coach that’s won more than anybody in our profession, you would think you’d want to study them and analyze them, and figure out why that’s the case, but they haven’t done it.

Q: On Phil adapting to his players:
Kobe: It’s his theory. It’s his philosophies and things that he lives by. It’s that whole Zen Master thing. He really believes in letting things unfold, letting players develop, letting teams grow into their identity, for guys to communicate with each other and be able to adapt to each other; removing themselves from the equation which is part of the mastery of what he’s done here. If you talk to Michael (Jordan) or myself, we’ll be singing his praises to the heavens. Michael didn’t want to play for any other coach. That’s just how it is.

Q: On what D’Antoni has in common with Jackson:
Kobe: Mike (D’Antoni) has some of the same characteristics in terms of not micromanaging – kind of setting guys up and putting guys in position to be successful. He was probably one altercation away in San Antonio from getting to the Finals.

Q: On what he’s held onto from Phil’s coaching:
Kobe: Everything, everything. I’m basically baby Zen Master.

Q: On if he’s thought about how his career would have turned out if he didn’t have Phil:
Kobe: I don’t know. I probably wouldn’t have learned the game to the depths the way I know now. But I think the thing about Phil (Jackson), (Gregg Popovich) and great coaches is the role player’s play very well. Guys like myself, Shaq (O’Neal), MJ and (Scottie) Pippen, our numbers will always be excellent no matter who you put us with. That’s just what we do. But them instilling confidence in the rest of the team, putting them in position to be successful, allowing them to play the fourth quarter when they blow a lead and let them develop, that’s what makes them great coaches.

Q: On maximizing his star players, too:
Kobe: He’s gotten the most out of their role players. When they play well and they have confidence, me, MJ and Shaq become more dangerous because those guys are playing with more confidence and those guys are making shots. You put us with anybody, our numbers are the same no matter what. But to win championships, those guys have to feel comfortable with their role.

Q: On whether he would have won five titles without Phil:
Kobe: Probably not. If you’re talking about winning championships, that’s what a great coach does – install confidence in the rest of the guys. Make sure they’re comfortable in their roles and that’s how you win championships. If you’re talking about from an individual standpoint, like I say, no matter who’s coaching I’m still going to do what I do, but it’s not going to equate to winning championships. If you’re talking about from an individual standpoint, I’m going to do what I do, but it’s probably not going to equate to championships.

Q: On what he learned from Tex Winter:
Kobe: I used to sit with Tex pretty much every game for two to three hours and watch the entire game and break down film with him. He was like Yoda.

The Zend :man6:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:33 pm

the true end of an era. bye phil.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby 432J on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:34 pm

:man6:

still sad over the fact that phil was passed over for the job
432J

Postby kray28 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Trying to not think about it. I've posted a lot less today...tried to focus on work instead.
kray28

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:28 am

:man6: why Phil why!!! U got screwed by jimmy Oh how I Wish U Were Here this has been like a bad break up :man8: :man6:
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 am

lakersStan24 wrote::man6: why Phil why!!! U got screwed by jimmy Oh how I Wish U Were Here this has been like a bad break up :man8: :man6:

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 am

Phil's woman....so it deserves to go in here! I'll ask it again...why isn't she our future owner?

Jeanie Buss @JeanieBuss
#Lakers fans - make no mistake, YOU are the true owners of the team. Lakers belong to those who love, cherish, cry & cheer with them.

BTW this is a response to Mitch, Jimmy's mouth piece, saying that the Lakers didn't want to hire Phil due to "public pressure".
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am

i really wish jeanie was running this team instead of her POS brother
432J

Postby VincentTH on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:47 am

kray28 wrote:Trying to not think about it. I've posted a lot less today...tried to focus on work instead.

My first post since the devastating news. Coming back to my hiding now!!!! It's Ok to make mistakes, but it does not seem that Jimmy has learned anything from it!
VincentTH

Postby snackdaddy on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:37 pm

All I can say is, if the Lakers don't make the finals, it will be one tough offseason for D'Antoni and Jim Buss. Fans did not take to Brown. If D'Antono doesn't turn things around by Christmas, he'll have a big target on his back for fans and medial alike. This roster should not be a mid seed playoff time who can't get past round two.
snackdaddy

Postby KJ MonK on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Jordan-esque wrote:Jeannie Buss quotes...

[twitter]https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/status/270656354128125952[/twitter]

nice
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm

KJ MonK wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:Jeannie Buss quotes...

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/status/2 ... 4128125952

nice

Fixed your link. (I think... :)
LTLakerFan

Postby Sirron on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Phil:
"I wipe my butt with Mike Dan Tony"
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby Aonex on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Don't know if this was posted somewhere, but just saw this on yahoo, which linked to some TMZ guy asking Phil questions:

http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/26/phil-jackson-los-angeles-lakers-midnight-coup-mike-dantoni-coaching-midnight-coup/
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby 432J on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm

phil
:man6:

F U jim buss
432J

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 am

By Bresnahan

Brian Shaw was definitely surprised the Lakers didn't hire Phil Jackson after firing Mike Brown this month. Shaw was particularly taken aback that they informed Jackson in a midnight phone call of their choice to hire Mike D'Antoni.

"Under the circumstances, Phil Jackson, who's been there and done that and put a lot of money in everybody's pockets around here, the way it was done . . . it's mind-boggling," Shaw said Monday in an interview with The Times. "I was joking with him, at least you got a phone call, even though it was midnight.

"In 11 years he was coach here, he took the team to the Finals seven times and won five. I don't know if any of the other 29 teams would have done him the way he was done [by the Lakers] after he had done so much for the organization and the city."

Shaw won three championships as a Lakers player under Jackson and was part of two more on Jackson's coaching staff from 2005 to '11. Shaw returns to Staples Center on Tuesday as the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers, the right-hand man of Coach Frank Vogel.

Shaw didn't get a phone call from the Lakers after they fired Brown on Nov. 9.

"I'm in a good situation here in Indy, a situation where I have a job," he said. "After how things ended for all of us in L.A. at the end of that last season I was there, there's no reason for me to get my hopes up about anything because if that was the case, something different would have probably been done initially."

Shaw interviewed to replace Jackson after the 2010-11 season. He found out he didn't get the job after seeing media reports of Brown's hiring.

Just like the CP3 nix of last season, this still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its a despicable act by the FO no matter how you look at it. There needs to be a mutiny within the organization that results in Jeanie taking this franchise over. Where's Keanu when you need him?...he needs to stop another buss! And while he's at it, plug me back into the Matrix...I want to go back to make believe when the Lakers were classy.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 am

the whole shaw situation last year really changed my feelings about the lakers FO and jim buss in particular

but the way they treated phil throughout this year's coaching hoopla permanently changed how i think of the lakers FO. i already disliked buss but the way phil was treated throughout this whole thing was simply mindblowing and disgusting. there is no bigger problem on this team than jim buss
432J

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion