Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Re: Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 am

By Bresnahan

Brian Shaw was definitely surprised the Lakers didn't hire Phil Jackson after firing Mike Brown this month. Shaw was particularly taken aback that they informed Jackson in a midnight phone call of their choice to hire Mike D'Antoni.

"Under the circumstances, Phil Jackson, who's been there and done that and put a lot of money in everybody's pockets around here, the way it was done . . . it's mind-boggling," Shaw said Monday in an interview with The Times. "I was joking with him, at least you got a phone call, even though it was midnight.

"In 11 years he was coach here, he took the team to the Finals seven times and won five. I don't know if any of the other 29 teams would have done him the way he was done [by the Lakers] after he had done so much for the organization and the city."

Shaw won three championships as a Lakers player under Jackson and was part of two more on Jackson's coaching staff from 2005 to '11. Shaw returns to Staples Center on Tuesday as the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers, the right-hand man of Coach Frank Vogel.

Shaw didn't get a phone call from the Lakers after they fired Brown on Nov. 9.

"I'm in a good situation here in Indy, a situation where I have a job," he said. "After how things ended for all of us in L.A. at the end of that last season I was there, there's no reason for me to get my hopes up about anything because if that was the case, something different would have probably been done initially."

Shaw interviewed to replace Jackson after the 2010-11 season. He found out he didn't get the job after seeing media reports of Brown's hiring.

Just like the CP3 nix of last season, this still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Its a despicable act by the FO no matter how you look at it. There needs to be a mutiny within the organization that results in Jeanie taking this franchise over. Where's Keanu when you need him?...he needs to stop another buss! And while he's at it, plug me back into the Matrix...I want to go back to make believe when the Lakers were classy.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:52 am

the whole shaw situation last year really changed my feelings about the lakers FO and jim buss in particular

but the way they treated phil throughout this year's coaching hoopla permanently changed how i think of the lakers FO. i already disliked buss but the way phil was treated throughout this whole thing was simply mindblowing and disgusting. there is no bigger problem on this team than jim buss
432J

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am

Jim is trying to secure his inheritance. I hope that once it's set, he'll step down as head of basketball operations, and let someone competent do the job.

I wish he'd include Phil in the organization, but that will never happen, even if D'Antoni fails this season. Jim sees Phil and Jeanie trying to initiate a coup.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby VincentTH on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:04 pm

432J wrote:the whole shaw situation last year really changed my feelings about the lakers FO and jim buss in particular

but the way they treated phil throughout this year's coaching hoopla permanently changed how i think of the lakers FO. i already disliked buss but the way phil was treated throughout this whole thing was simply mindblowing and disgusting. there is no bigger problem on this team than jim buss

I have the same feeling. What a disgrace to what used to be a top notch organization!
VincentTH

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Keep opening the wounds V, keep opening the wounds. :man6: :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:10 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/26/phil-jackson-los-angeles-lakers-midnight-coup-mike-dantoni-coaching-midnight-coup/

Jackson doesn't seem bitter at all. Makes me feel better about the whole situation
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:23 pm

^^^Its cause Phil is a bigger man than me...and most certainly a towering man over Jimmy and his Napolean complex! I still can't get over management's reasoning behind it....this personnel is better suited for D'Antoni's uptempo offense....personnel that includes senior citizens and 2 prominent players remaining from a position that is nearly extinct. Kobe, Pau, Dwight and we go away from the triple POST offense. Brilliant!

Weezy wrote:Keep opening the wounds V, keep opening the wounds. :man6: :man10:

If I'm feeling down, I'm taking people with me. After all, sharing is caring. :man9:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Pig Miller on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 am

"HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA" - Phil Jackson
Pig Miller

Postby lakersStan24 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:55 am

this season seems haunted by this
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 am

Pig Miller wrote:"HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA" - Phil Jackson

To be fair about last night, Phil Jackson wouldn't have helped D12 make his free throws. That was the death knell for us.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Nikez on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:36 am

I was as disappointed at losing the chance for Phil to coach us again but we still got a great coach to lead us. And the way the FO managed the situation doesn't really matter. It's just business.

Could they have been a little more courteous in discussions with Phil? Absolutely. But the fact is that they already made the decision to hire Mike before the media put all the rumors about Phil out there. I doubt the Lakers would create a firestorm like that only to pull a 180 and hire mike the next day. I don't blame them for calling Phil before they could meet him again, they made the decision, so why waste time interviewing Phil again if they are not going to hire him. It wasn't the best way to do things but it doesn't make our franchise a bunch of classless, ahole jerkoffs either.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 am

^^^Haha..you can't be serious? Why don't you ask Shaw if it was classy how they handled him?

Brian Shaw still can't get over one fact.

How could the Lakers pass up Phil Jackson in favor of Mike D'Antoni after winning five of his 11 NBA championships with the organization?

"Your guess is as good as mine," Shaw said before the Lakers played the Indiana Pacers on Tuesday at Staples Center. "It's mind-boggling. That's all I can say about it."

Shaw won three NBA titles with the Lakers (2000-2002) under Jackson and then won two more on his coaching staff from 2005 to 2011.

Shaw, the associate head coach of the Indiana Pacers, interviewed to replace Jackson following the 2010-11 season before the Lakers ultimately chose Mike Brown. Shaw said he found out he didn't get the job through media reports, leading him to joke with Jackson recently on how he learned he wasn't the chosen candidate.

"At least he got a phone call even if it was at midnight," said Shaw, who wasn't a candidate after the Lakers fired Brown earlier this month.

Oh yeah and there is the matter of him as a player, where LA literally opted out of his contract and resigned him in order to save 800K. Yet, the consummate professional, Shaw kept truckin and served this organization even past his playing days.

Lets not forget about the mass firings the summer of the lockout:

Lakers Assistant General Manager Ronnie Lester, who played for the team from 1984 to 1986 and was hired as a scout in '87, is one of at least 20 Lakers employees, including most of the team’s scouts, who will not have their contracts renewed because of the lockout. The team has told staffers whose contracts expired on June 30 or later that those contracts won’t be renewed, and their jobs may or may not be available to them once the lockout ends, according to the report.

"I'm not worried about myself, I'm worried about the other people on our staff that are really good and have young families and mortgages," Lester told the website ESPNLosAngeles.com. "I'll land on my feet, but those guys who aren't as established, I think they're in a little trouble.”

Last summer the Lakers offered Lester the option of signing a one-year contract at the same pay, or a three-year deal at a 30% pay cut. He took the one-year deal.

Lester was surprised and angered by the Lakers' treatment of loyal employees.

"It's awful funny that the Lakers, one of the highest-grossing teams in the league, could do this to their employees, just throw them out in the cold," he said. "The Lakers have not done a good job in communicating that to anybody whose contract has ended. Obviously the Lakers don't want these guys back, don't want the scouts back, or they would've said something in that regard.

"So I don't think anybody is coming back. They've not treated people well in that regard."

Classless SOB running the show up there....but who? Mitch = yes man. Jerry = bed-bound and has one foot already out the door. Jimmy = SOB behind this mess. Jeanie = rightful heir, but overlooked by Papa (the one big mistake our owner has made in his largely successful reign).
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lotus on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 am

If the clippers are smart, they should fire del negro then hire Phil to coach the clippers next year. The clippers would take over as the best team in L.A. This would be the ulitimate revenge Phil could get on jimmy. And the many stories and buzz around this hire would be great.

As a side, I always thought it would be a better chess move for jimmy to hire Phil to keep the clippers from possibly hiring him. It's likely that won't happen if for no other reason than maybe Jeanie would be offended by Phil. But still, it would be a disaster for the Lakers if it were to happen.
lotus

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Giving this baby a bump for these tweets that gave me a chuckle:
Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 28m
double fouls are chicken s__t calls...!

Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 13m
PULLLEZZZE

Imagining him saying this on the bench in his high seat :man10: :man10:
GoldHammish

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm

Miss that guy. I heard he also said LA would be top seed if he were coaching. :man1:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 1h
I hate it when coaches get on the floor-the floor is just for the players and refs

Hmm...who does that sound like?

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 pm

Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 12m
@JeanieBuss what's up girl?

:man10:
JSM

Postby Weezy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:15 pm

:man10: Love it. Reminds me of Phil to 'Antoni, "sit down and shut up".
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:16 pm

:man10: :man10:

Phil is the man.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm

JSM wrote:
Phil Jackson ‏@PhilJackson11 12m
@JeanieBuss what's up girl?

Is this really him? I feel like someone else must be controlling this.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:26 pm

^ Yeah, it's him. He and Kurt are tweeting at Phil and Jeanie's(?) for the championship game

JSM

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm

^^^They aren't watching the game.....

They are on the NBA Trade Machine and Hoopsworld 2013 Free Agents list to see who they want on the team next year when they comeback and coach. :man12:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:30 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Those two are awesome.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Nice fridge
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Finwë wrote:Nice fridge

That's not a fridge. It's the tomb of the careers of the coaches that followed PJ.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion