Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:57 am

Hi everyone! So, I've been meaning to start a Phil quote thread for a while now. I hope that we will have pages and pages of contributions similar to the Doomsday thread. Please feel free to add! Anyway, here are a few that I really like.

Regarding the Kendrick Perkins trade:

Phil Jackson tongue in cheek on Celtics trading Kendrick Perkins: "They go down as never having lost a playoff series."

Regarding the Spurs:

So far this season, everything has gone right for the Spurs. The ball bounced their way more often than not, they won close games they shouldn't win, they had some comeback wins too. More than anything, they have also shown a level of health that I didn't expect.

They had an injury to [Tony] Parker where he had a remarkable turnaround and was able to make a comeback after a game, so that's kept them pretty intact for the season," Jackson said. "[Tim] Duncan went down one game, looked like he was going to be out for the season, was back for the next game, miraculously.

My conclusion is that they must have Jesus Christ working on their bench as a trainer.

On the Spurs 107-92 victory in 2007:

We call this a 'Brokeback Mountain' game, because there's so much penetration and kickouts.

After the media backlash primarily started by ESPN, Phil had this to say:

But in retrospect, it wasn't really funny, Jackson said before the Lakers played Houston on Wednesday night. When you take it out of context, it wasn't funny. It was a poor attempt at humor and I deserved to be reprimanded by the NBA.

If I've offended any horses, Texans, cowboys or gays, I apologize.

On former Laker Vladimir Radmanovic:

Phil Jackson called Vladimir Radmanovic a "space cadet" on Thursday and wondered aloud to the media as to whether or not Vlad Rad has any idea what is expected of him with the Lakers.

"He could be on Mars. I know it's not on Venus, but he could be on Mars," Jackson said. "He is kind of a free spirit on the floor," Jackson continued. "He's going to touch the ball and shoot it, even though I tell him those aren't usually good shots. He still wants to know if he's hot. If he's not hot, he wants to get hot. If he's not going to get hot, then he wants to shoot so he can get hot."

On the city of Memphis:

Add Memphis to the list of cities Jackson has slammed in his time with the Lakers. He took one look at the desolate downtown on Tuesday and declared, "It's like Dresden after the war."

On the city of Sacramento:

Jackson called Sacramento a "cow town" and said Kings fans were "semi-civilized" and "maybe redneck in some form or fashion."

On Pau Gasol about his need to be aggressive and then on Kevin Garnett:

He (Gasol) totally gets it. He is who he is. We're not going to make him into (Boston's Kevin) Garnett. He's not going to go around and punch guys in the (groin). He's too nice of a guy.

This is an intelligent person (Gasol) who understands what this game is about. We've been to the Finals three years in a row, so that's part of it.

On Shaq:

Shaq is the only person I’ve ever had that hasn’t been a worker. He’s the one guy that didn’t really like to work, said the coach who boasts nine NBA championship rings. I know Pat [Riley] got him working here in Miami. We had a hard time getting him to work. All the other players — Michael [Jordan], Scottie [Pippen], Dennis Rodman, all those guys that we had, Horace Grant, they’re all hard-working practice and personal work players.

On Dwyane Wade:

He travels on that spin move. He picks up that pivot foot and everybody knows it. Dwyane Wade can cover so much ground when he makes that move. As you know, he can go 20 feet with that spin move and get to the basket.

On Kevin Durant:

Here's what Jackson said about Durant, who led the league in free throws: "I think a lot of the referees are treating him like a superstar.… He gets to the line easily and often…Yeah, by the calls he gets, he really gets to the line a lot, I'll tell ya. ... There's a couple of plays in the last game where I was pretty curious how he got there.''

On David Stern and the fine for Kevin Durant comments:

“I think when you start throwing one- and two-game suspensions in the threats, I think that means a lot to both ball clubs and to coaches,” Jackson said Friday before Lakers practice at the Ford Center. “It seems awful heavy-handed to me, but David is one that isn’t shy about being heavy-handed."

“There’s a certain gamesmanship that goes on that he obviously he feels cheapens the game. It never was explained to us until it suddenly came down here this last week that arbitrarily they’re going to do this…”

But when asked whether Stern should be fed up with what has become a steady stream of comments on the officiating, Jackson said: “I don’t think so. I think there’s a situation here that – favoritism on the NBA court, I don’t think anybody’s going to be deluded into thinking that people don’t gets calls on the court regardless of how you say it. It’s just a natural evolution of the game and a natural evolution of who gets the ball the most, and they’re going to end up a lot of times at the foul line. Unfortunately it didn’t work that way for Kobe [Bryant] last night but it did for Kevin [Durant]. But that’s the way things go in this game. You have to accept it, swallow it, and move on.”

On the formation of the new-look Miami Heat:

I always refer to when Wilt Chamberlain was traded from Philadelphia to Los Angeles and that put [Elgin] Baylor, [Jerry] West and Chamberlain together — three of the top scorers in NBA history — and they never won a championship together the four years they were together, Jackson said.
It’s not always scorers and talent that wins it. But it’s teamwork that does it.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Re: Official Phil Jackson Quote Thread

Postby KJ MonK on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:35 pm

John Ireland: "how do you beat the Heat?"
Phil: "Stay cool"
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby laakers on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm

the brokeback mountain one is too good
laakers

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby DanielBeltz24 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

This thread should have been started a long time ago. PJ is the king of 1 liners
DanielBeltz24

Postby Heavier Than Heaven on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:08 pm

How was this never a thread? Great idea.

I love the brokeback "apology" the most. I wonder if he ever said this kind of stuff during the Bulls era.
BUCK FOSTON

Thanks to Mookie for Avy!
Heavier Than Heaven

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:09 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:

I see what you did and I upped the ante! :man10:

Although mine is not a quote per se, whenever I need a good laugh I watch this ...

Last edited by Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Thanks to CaCHooKa Man for finding this gem ...

You may have heard about the Cryami Heat ... well Phil had an opinion regarding crying in basketball:

Phil Jackson was asked crying in basketball; first he said he didn't want to comment on the Heat ...Then: "This is the NBA, no boys allowed. Big boys don't cry. But if you're going to do it, do it in the toilet where no one sees you."

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby TalkieWalkie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:29 pm

I don't like the way Phil did Miami like that with that comment.

Why say anything. Yes they're cry babies but why give them any kind of motivation especially with a game comming up.

You don't think those guys will get up to play against you when pride is on the line?? Don't give them bulletin-board material....
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:42 pm

^i dont remember who said it but if you need something as miniscule as that to motivate you to play better then you shouldnt be playing in the league
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby D.B. Cooper on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Love on the Max and Marcellus(sp) says he doesn't believe in bulletin board material crap. I doubt Phil and now Andrew believe in it either...
D.B. Cooper

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:53 pm

This is a genius thread idea.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:I don't like the way Phil did Miami like that with that comment.

Why say anything. Yes they're cry babies but why give them any kind of motivation especially with a game comming up.

You don't think those guys will get up to play against you when pride is on the line?? Don't give them bulletin-board material....

So losing to a Knicks team that was just put together, blowing a 24 point lead to the Magic, getting curb stomped by the Spurs, letting a younger Bulls team close you out and losing to a less talented Blazers team isn't enough to motivate you, but a comment by Phil is? LOL. If that's Miami's attitude they may as well not even show up for Thursday's game because they've already lost.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby Alcindor on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 pm

TalkieWalkie wrote:I don't like the way Phil did Miami like that with that comment.

Maybe you have or haven't noticed but Phil doesn't do things like other coaches. Phil looks at it the opposite way that you do, he is putting the pressure on his team, not Miami, by letting them know he's picked a fight and they have to step up now.
Alcindor

Postby DanielBeltz24 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:54 pm

This thread is WINNING like Charlie Sheen :jam2:
DanielBeltz24

Postby TrillyandTruly on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 am

"Miami on Thursday, what do you do beat the Heat?"

"Well you stay cool."

Lmao I love Phil!!!
My entourage is in camouflage; remove your mask, let down your visage...
TrillyandTruly

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Phil speaking about the Heat's style of play. He likens it to playing Xbox! :man10:

“I think that’s really important to basketball [getting everyone involved rather than have three guys dominate the ball like the Heat],” Jackson said. “That’s what I’m trying to preach as a basketball coach, even though we have a guy that dominates the ball in Kobe (Bryant). Their basketball is very much standing with Xbox games or whatever those games are. Basketball’s not a 1-on-1 game. It’s a team game.”

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

Phil had this to say about Mark Cuban after Cuban made comments about Ron Artest prior to Thursday's game:

Jackson was throwing barbs at the Mavericks owner before the game.

"I know that Mark likes to prick the skin of people. He's not a player. He just sits behind the bench with his sun-tanned face and make comments like that. He's got nothing to do with it," said Jackson. "I know that he's provided a great roster; [one] that's almost as good as money can buy . . . but not quite."

Big Mamma Jamma

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am

:man10: :bow:
D.B. Cooper

Postby KB24 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:15 am

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson knew why the Lakers honored Lamar Odom with a brief pregame ceremony Wednesday.

"Because this could be the last game [this year] he plays in front of the home crowd, the way we are playing right now," he said jokingly before Game 2.

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

man, I will miss him so much....thats crazy. I feel sick to my stomach thinking he might be done in a matter of weeks... :bang: :bang: :bang:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:36 am

^that is an awesome quote....LOL
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Bynum4MVP on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:38 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^that is an awesome quote....LOL

+1
Bynum4MVP

Postby Grimjay on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Anyone remember Phil said to Zbo about his short neck?
“We were wonderful traveling companions but in the end no more than lonely lumps of metal in their own separate orbits.” Sputnik Sweetheart
Grimjay

Postby WilliamHaven on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Grimjay wrote:Anyone remember Phil said to Zbo about his short neck?

'He's actually 6-11 but God decided not to bless him with a neck'
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion