Is Our Season (Possibly Our Future) Screwed?

Re: Is Our Season (Possibly Our Future) Screwed?

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 pm

BDG wrote:People need to stop saying we got rid of Lamar for salary relief -- we got a huge trade exception out of it, which we plan on using in a big deal (and take on more salary again).

Not saying I like the trade, but if it brings a star player here, it could end up somehow working out in our favor.

In addition, Lamar was traded because he was upset after the CP3 fiasco and demanded a trade. The salary dump was just a bad spin. Kupchak already dismissed that notion today several times explaining what happened.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:
BDG wrote:People need to stop saying we got rid of Lamar for salary relief -- we got a huge trade exception out of it, which we plan on using in a big deal (and take on more salary again).

Not saying I like the trade, but if it brings a star player here, it could end up somehow working out in our favor.

My mistake, could you explain what exactly a trade exception does? I don't get it.

A trade exception occurs when a team sends a guy away and gets less than what they gave (in layman's terms). So since we sent Lamar away and got back just a pick, we have that large amount of salary unaccounted for. We could let it expire and save the Buss family money, or use it to trade for another player. The catch with a trade exception is that it can't be combined with a player, so when used, it must be by itself.

The theory here is that we could try to use to help absorb a bad contract from the Magic. We would trade Howard for Bynum/others and then the trade exception for Hedo (theoretically) in a "separate" deal.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 pm

I think therealdeal explained it (the TPE) well.

And just to clarify, LakerFan1235 -- I wasn't just referring to you. Part of the problem is that the media is referring to this story as a "salary dump," when it clearly isn't. As a result some people are misinformed and don't realize we actually got something back in this deal.

It only becomes a salary dump if Mitch & co. sit on their butts and do nothing with the Trade Exception. And I don't see that happening.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:16 am

Okay that makes sense. So I saw someone say in another thread that sasha's trade exception expires in 2 days, so does that mean we will see a trade in the next two days?
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby therealdeal on Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:52 am

^ Nope. It may mean nothing, it depends on Mitch. Sometimes a trade exception is just used to save money. If it expires, that money just comes off the books and Jerry Buss puts that money in his pockets.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:06 am

BDG wrote:I think therealdeal explained it (the TPE) well.

And just to clarify, LakerFan1235 -- I wasn't just referring to you. Part of the problem is that the media is referring to this story as a "salary dump," when it clearly isn't. As a result some people are misinformed and don't realize we actually got something back in this deal.

It only becomes a salary dump if Mitch & co. sit on their butts and do nothing with the Trade Exception. And I don't see that happening.

And like I said, it was NEVER a salary dump in the strict sense. We moved LO to Dallas because he demanded a trade and obviously he wanted to go to a contender. I still don't think we should have dealt with Dallas because Cuban was one of the owners that helped shoot down our deal for Paul. It's adding insult to injury to give him away to them when they were partly responsible for thwarting us. Not to mention that they are now are biggest competition in the West and we made them better.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:12 am

Not sure if our future is totally screwed yet, but we CERTAINLY suffered a setback. Mitch had a great plan that probably would have netted us both CP3 and Howard. It's not often you make a move that solidifies you for both the future AND the present.

There's still some hope in certain areas though.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:15 am

Right now we really do look pretty screwed. We still have the worst PG tandem in the entire league. We have no bigs for our bench except Caracter who literally could not figure out how not to get blocked in the post last season, and we gave up the 6MOTY for nothing - a trade exception that might not get used and a crappy draft pick.

I'm not seeing it. I think we got royally screwed by Stern and Co. and the way it stands our roster is worse than last year by a long shot with the subtraction of Odom.

Plus World Peace is out of shape and doesn't give a crap any more, and we STILL HAVE LUKE WALTON. There has not been a single improvement. And significant losses.

The only thing I'm happy about so far is ditching Shannon Brown. Kapono signing is ok but nothing significant.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:19 am

Starting 5 is still here. Would have been nice to have a decent point guard but maybe Blake can do it this year. Kapono signing is nice. Still optimistic. If Pau returns to form, we will be world beaters.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby The Original 81 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 am

Right now our roster is without a doubt weaker, and if we go into the season like this we're screwed. We already weren't the favorites, but man I don't like our chances at all. Our bench right now is piss poor.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:24 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Starting 5 is still here. Would have been nice to have a decent point guard but maybe Blake can do it this year. Kapono signing is nice. Still optimistic. If Pau returns to form, we will be world beaters.

Yes, that starting five includes Fish remember, who is one half of the worst PG tandem in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

It also includes World Peace who is unmotivated and came into camp out of shape by his own admission. I doubt it helps that he just lost his best friend on the Lakers in Odom. I don't like it at all thus far. Plus no replacements for Ratliff or Smith yet either. We have no backup bigs but Caracter.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am

The Original 81 wrote:Right now our roster is without a doubt weaker, and if we go into the season like this we're screwed. We already weren't the favorites, but man I don't like our chances at all. Our bench right now is piss poor.

+1 :bang:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:27 am

Lakerjones wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Starting 5 is still here. Would have been nice to have a decent point guard but maybe Blake can do it this year. Kapono signing is nice. Still optimistic. If Pau returns to form, we will be world beaters.

Yes, that starting five includes Fish remember, who is one half of the worst PG tandem in the ENTIRE LEAGUE.

It also includes World Peace who is unmotivated and came into camp out of shape by his own admission. I doubt it helps that he just lost his best friend on the Lakers in Odom. I don't like it at all thus far. Plus no replacements for Ratliff or Smith yet either. We have no backup bigs but Caracter.

And it's not like Ratliff and Smith were viable backups in the first place.

I'm with you, the light is pretty dim right now.
The Original 81

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 am

^^ True but we haven't even done anything to replace them for back up bigs, and we lost Odom who played 30 minutes a game off the bench. That's a gigantic (pun intended) hole.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:35 am

Lakerjones wrote:^^ True but we haven't even done anything to replace them for back up bigs, and we lost Odom who played 30 minutes a game off the bench. That's a gigantic (pun intended) hole.

Exactly. I'm curious though as to how much Drew has improved with regards to his health and his play. Maybe he's drastically improved to the point where Lamar's importance would be lessened? That he'll be able to stay on the floor for an extended period of time?

I don't know, just trying to stay positive.
The Original 81

Postby easyguy on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 am

It is so depressing now, every post show our outlook on this season is very dim. :mad1:
easyguy

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 am

The Original 81 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:^^ True but we haven't even done anything to replace them for back up bigs, and we lost Odom who played 30 minutes a game off the bench. That's a gigantic (pun intended) hole.

Exactly. I'm curious though as to how much Drew has improved with regards to his health and his play. Maybe he's drastically improved to the point where Lamar's importance would be lessened? That he'll be able to stay on the floor for an extended period of time?

I don't know, just trying to stay positive.

I hear you. I'm not trying to doom and gloom to death here. It's just that the repercussions of the events of last week/weekend are now kicking in big time and I'm feeling them. Plus there is nothing being talked of or discussed here about filling these holes that makes me feel optimistic. All I hear is about maybe not using the TPE which doesn't instill any good feeling for me. We can't get by on the roster as is. We'll have no chance.

And sorry Original81, but counting on Bynum's continued health for a whole season is sketchy at best - perhaps foolhardy at worst if you are the Lakers FO or a fan. Since he hasn't played a whole season as a starter the precedent isn't really there. Granted, it's a shortened season so he has a better shot at it. But if I were a betting man I wouldn't touch it.

We need a backup 4 and 5.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 am

easyguy wrote:It is so depressing now, every post show our outlook on this season is very dim. :mad1:

Actually listening to Kobe spar with Simers yesterday made me feel good. Bean hasn't given up...neither should we.

Kobe basically stressed that Ron and some of the younger guys are going to have to work together to fill the void that Lamar leaves, and also hinted that the adversity may be bringing the team together more instead of tearing them apart.
kray28

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:07 am

kray28 wrote:
easyguy wrote:It is so depressing now, every post show our outlook on this season is very dim. :mad1:

Actually listening to Kobe spar with Simers yesterday made me feel good. Bean hasn't given up...neither should we.

Kobe basically stressed that Ron and some of the younger guys are going to have to work together to fill the void that Lamar leaves, and also hinted that the adversity may be bringing the team together more instead of tearing them apart.

^^ That's cool, no doubt. As always Kobe's competitive fire is second to none. What worries me though is the roster. Not sure Kobe's fire is enough to pick up the slack if we do not improve the current team.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:55 am

I do think we're screwed. Honestly.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby kenzo on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:57 pm

With Odom gone our bench is a gigantic joke. One positive thing is that Bynum will be on the floor at the end of games (maybe Brown was going to do the same thing as Phil, with Odom closing out games). If we can get a decent PG we may make the playoffs :man12: :man9:
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Short answer.

Season over - Umm has it started yet and are we done making moves. (Pau, Kobe, Bynum HELLO).

Future screwed - Go to google, type Los Angeles Lakers, click on wikipedia link, see if our history says were effed.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby chingy248 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:53 pm

chingy248

Postby Whatthef? on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Who wants to bet the Lakers have a worse record than the Clippers this year? Dallas goes back to the finals?
Thanks Mitch.
Whatthef?

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Whatthef? wrote:Who wants to bet the Lakers have a worse record than the Clippers this year? Dallas goes back to the finals?
Thanks Mitch.

^Thank Stern and Co.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion