Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion:Partial Foot Tear Out Min. 6 Weeks(311)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Man I almost forgot about Pau's existence on this team. Would rather have him out there instead of Dwight's clown ***
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion:Partial Foot Tear Out Min. 6 Weeks(311)

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:50 am

PAU GASOL
Q: On what stood out about Dr. Buss and what he meant to him and the franchise:
Gasol: He was an owner that did everything he could to make sure his team had the best chance possible to win the title. He was all about success and he was very passionate. That’s something you could feel from him. I wish I could have spent a little more time with him during this time, but he meant a lot to us. He was a leader for our team, for this franchise and for this city. He was someone you’d enjoy being around. It’s been a tough hit even though we knew he was sick and battling hard for awhile, but when it does happen, it’s still very difficult to deal with.

Q: On when he was in Memphis and there was a reputation around the league if other players wanted to play for the Lakers:
Gasol: Obviously, the Lakers are a franchise that I think the great majority of players would love to play in and be a part of for multiple reasons and definitely because of Dr. Buss’ desire and wish to have a great team here and to win titles. It was all about winning championships and being an elite team. I think any player would want to be involved with that. When you’re on another team, you only have so much control of your own destiny. So you try to focus on your reality and the present. You can’t really dream too much about wanting to play here or there. But as a player, it was a great deal to have the opportunity to be here. When I first got here and traded, I was in shock for a few days how lucky I was that it was my destiny.

Q: On if he has a particular memory or two of Dr. Buss:
Gasol: We would always see him for the team picture. He was always a very joyful guy. The most time I spent with him alone was the time I went and visited him at the hospital. That was probably the most meaningful time I spent with him. We had great times when we won championships. Those magical moments were brief and are overwhelming and there are a lot of people around you. But I always appreciate those one-on-one times, even though it was under those circumstances. It’s a moment I’ll always have with me.

Q: On what was talked about between him and Dr. Buss:
Gasol: We were talking about the season and how excited we were for the upcoming season. He was very excited and hopeful he’d make it out of the hospital and be at the opening night. It was kind of a goal that he and the doctors had at the time. we talked about sports. I remember he was watching college football. It was on TV and he’s a big USC fan, obviously, but he enjoyed watching college football more than pro football. I just enjoyed that time even though, again, it was under those circumstances.

Q: On if he sensed the team going all in at the beginning of the year knowing Dr. Buss’ situation:
Gasol: I think we all are trying to make the best out of our team and our situation. Knowing him and knowing the franchise, we all came in with the mindset that we have a great team and a great opportunity here. Even with the new rules and new collective bargaining (agreement), the franchise is making the effort to have the best possible team. We knew that, we were aware of that and we are aware of that. That’s something that we’ve been keeping in our minds.

Q: On if he talked to Dr. Buss about his situation regarding being traded:
Gasol: No, I think when that happened I didn’t know but he was already in the hospital and already battling with his health issues. I didn’t know and I didn’t find out till later. They kept it, as they should, very private and in house. To me, life is beyond basketball. I wouldn’t talk to him about those small things. There’s nothing like that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion:"Life is beyond basketball" (318)

Postby TIME on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 am

I think it's very likely that Pau was the only player on the team other than Kobe that took the time to visit Dr. Buss in the hospital. Class act.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:59 am

TIME wrote:I think it's very likely that Pau was the only player on the team that took the time to visit Dr. Buss in the hospital. Class act.

you don't think kobe did, maybe artest. it's possible but i'd like to believe more guys had the class to do so, at least i'd hope
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby TIME on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

last stand wrote:
TIME wrote:I think it's very likely that Pau was the only player on the team that took the time to visit Dr. Buss in the hospital. Class act.

you don't think kobe did, maybe artest. it's possible but i'd like to believe more guys had the class to do so, at least i'd hope

I just read that Kobe did too. You may be right about Ron. Pau's a class act either way.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02 am

Actually according to reports a lot of them did. Nash, Kobe, and Gasol among them. I'm not sure Howard did, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

Most of these guys by all accounts didn't even know Dr. Buss. Some of them never met him.

Definitely though I liked what Pau had to say. If he wasn't making 19 million dollars, I'd love if he finished his career as a Laker.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 am

nash is a class act, but I wonder how that visit would have went. their encounters couldn't have been frequent.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby c.Lin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 am

I've never met Pau, but I'm convinced he's an awesome person. Class act in every sense of the word. I sincerely hope he finds his way back from injury and is able to be a big contributor for the squad.
c.Lin

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

Pau is the man. Even if he is traded :man6: I hope after the NBA he settles down in LA and is somehow associated with the Laker franchise.

Got to keep in mind that the Buss family may not have wanted all these visitors. Plus, only a handful of people really knew how severe Dr. Buss's health issues were until this year.
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:32 am

Highly intelligent....he could start off as a player scout and somehow end up as an assistant coach one day.

I know he has dreams "beyond basketball" but I will never forget how epic he was and how integral he was to our recent back-to-back.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 am

^ My guess is he'd go into something medical. He could have been a surgeon in Spain if he didn't want to play basketball.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 am

Yep, I was thinking the same. He has too much of a mind to "limit" himself to basketball plus his incredible fascination with medicine.

But with his intelligence, I could see him in some sort of player/personnel evaluative role. And his stoicism is a plus, he doesn't let his emotions get in the way (for the most part).
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:57 am

I'd think he could immediately step into a FO position if he wanted to. The man is intelligent and patient and he's a consumate professional.

I just don't think he will. I think he'll go back to Spain and try to continue the growth of the sport over there while maintaining positive relationships with the hospitals of LA.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Elle on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:37 pm

I hope they don't rush Pau back, he needs to be 100%, we don't want him to get worse! I think Pau loves basketball but it's not everything in the world to him, he's a smart man so I think after his playing days are over he might go into medecine like his parents, clearly he is intrested in the field and he does a lot of work for CHLA, I see him doing that after his NBA days are over.
Elle

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Great interview with Pau. As many have said, the guy is a class act always. As frustrated as I've been with his play at times these past few years, I will always respect him immensely as a person. Makes sense for him to give such a good interview and nice to hear about his time visiting with Jerry Buss in the hospital. I miss Pau right now for sure. He was giving it really great effort before he went down. I'd like our chances a heck of a lot better if he were healthy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Highly intelligent....he could start off as a player scout and somehow end up as an assistant coach one day.

I know he has dreams "beyond basketball" but I will never forget how epic he was and how integral he was to our recent back-to-back.

Or a brain surgeon if he wanted to get back into medicine. Little late now though for being a Doctor with all the years they have to put in. He'll likely always be involved in humanitarian activities though. Definitely that kind of person.
LTLakerFan

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Gasol getting hurt really really really really screwed us from getting better via trade this year. Should have traded him when MDA was hired. Stupid.

Would have loved (and would like to tonight) to trade him to Minny for D. Williams, Buddinger, kirelenko, Roy and picks, and send Clark, D. Williams, and Blake to Atl for Josh Smith. Then send Duhon and a Minny pick to Det for Will Bynum.

Minny gets Gasol for later this season and next and Ebanks for a bunch of bench players and unloads Roy too.

Atl gets Clark (who is emerging and likely someone we won't be able to afford this summer) and D. Williams (still potential and expiring) to replace Smith and a back up pt guard -- a great offer for them given they would lose Smith for nothing.

We get the pieces we need from Gasol's contract and awesome depth to make a real push with a contending team.

Nash, Bynum, Morris
Kobe, Meeks (Arenas. Or T. Williams??)
Artest, Buddinger (perfect 3 for us)
Smith, Jamison, Kirelenko
Dwight, Sacre (Kirirlenko at spots? Or. A vet FA big body)

Love that team, esp with Kobe at the 3 more and Bynum sparking the bench and finding shooters like Meeks, Jamison, and Buddinger.

If only.....
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Gasol getting hurt really really really really screwed us from getting better via trade this year. Should have traded him when MDA was hired. Stupid.

Would have loved (and would like to tonight) to trade him to Minny for D. Williams, Buddinger, kirelenko, Roy and picks, and send Clark, D. Williams, and Blake to Atl for Josh Smith. Then send Duhon and a Minny pick to Det for Will Bynum.

Minny gets Gasol for later this season and next and Ebanks for a bunch of bench players and unloads Roy too.

Atl gets Clark (who is emerging and likely someone we won't be able to afford this summer) and D. Williams (still potential and expiring) to replace Smith and a back up pt guard -- a great offer for them given they would lose Smith for nothing.

We get the pieces we need from Gasol's contract and awesome depth to make a real push with a contending team.

Nash, Bynum, Morris
Kobe, Meeks (Arenas. Or T. Williams??)
Artest, Buddinger (perfect 3 for us)
Smith, Jamison, Kirelenko
Dwight, Sacre (Kirirlenko at spots? Or. A vet FA big body)

Love that team, esp with Kobe at the 3 more and Bynum sparking the bench and finding shooters like Meeks, Jamison, and Buddinger.

If only.....

:man10: Yeah. If only...
Savory Griddles

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:32 pm

Love Pau.. Dude is a class act as has already been stated.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:53 am

Via LA Daily News
DALLAS - As if the Lakers can absorb more bad news.

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni suggested Pau Gasol won't return in the regular season after nursing torn plantar fascia in his right foot for the past three weeks.

"By the time he gets back, we'll be in or out," D'Antoni said. "His impact will be in the playoffs if we get there."

The Lakers (28-29) have 25 games remaining before the regular season ends April 17 against the Houston Rockets. After their 103-99 victory Sunday over the Dallas Mavericks, the Lakers remain 2 games behind the Houston Rockets (31-27) for the eighth playoff spot.

"I don't think anyone on this team is counting the days for Pau to come back because we don't have time," Lakers guard Steve Nash said. "Although we'd welcome him back this instance, we have to move on and try to win games without him."
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 am

That's not bad news, it's not even news.

There's no update on Pau's status. MDA is saying that Pau won't be back in the RS long enough to have an impact, but by the time the playoffs roll around he'll be ready. Given he was supposed to be out for 6 weeks we already knew that.

And Nash is saying we can't wait around for him to come back because they need to win now.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Well I wasn't expecting Gasol back for the season anyway. I had already counted him out...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:05 pm

I'm actually glad he's not. I don't want him to break any of our momentum right now.

We do need to sign another insurance big like JO or Amundson, just to throw a body out there against other bigs. Small lineups aren't going to cut it.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:18 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:That's not bad news, it's not even news.

There's no update on Pau's status. MDA is saying that Pau won't be back in the RS long enough to have an impact, but by the time the playoffs roll around he'll be ready. Given he was supposed to be out for 6 weeks we already knew that.

And Nash is saying we can't wait around for him to come back because they need to win now.

100% agreed ... the journalist who wrote this needs to be treated for dyslexia
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:06 pm

Indeed, the team can't have a wait for Pau to come back mentality, they must win as-is, right now. I'd love to see him back in time for it to matter, but I'm not counting on it. If we get in and he is up to game shape and can help us in the playoffs, that's just gravy.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion