Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Crusty

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Much improved offensively tonight, but I cant help but wonder if Pau doesn't get offended when he looks at film and sees that whenever he slides over to the center position teams attack the paint as if we have Nash in the middle.....
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:06 am

It's confusing sometimes to watch Pau's defense. First of all he barely plays it. Just seems disinterested and looking more to rebound than impact the play. Then when he DOES contest, it's almost always a phantom whistle. I do feel for him in that regard. If he jumps or reaches out, it's a foul.

So he just seems to sort of drift around that paint area with a hand up in the air, and doesn't have a lot to say about driving guards.

It HAS to be something he can improve upon. Nowhere to go but up
SpencerHarrison

Postby kenzo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:44 am

Can he still dunk? Serious question.
kenzo

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:20 am

Nope...He's a seven foot shooting guard.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 am

He doesn't follow the opposite 4 on the perimeter .... you will have practice midrange shots if you are a stretch 4.

We're lucky Dante is just average from this distance
wcsoldier81

Postby jimbo327 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:38 am

It always helps one's game when you are playing the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:19 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
therealdeal wrote:His defense is and will remain awful, but he's looking better already. His shots weren't totally wild and in fact he went to the post pretty effectively more than once.

Good game from him. This production is pretty much what we'll need to scare anybody in the playoffs.

Yeah I think that if Pau brings this type of effort, this will be the only way we can a) make the playoffs and b) make any type of noise in those playoffs. Pau was an absolute bust in his first 2 games back...but the real test comes tomorrow...that's pretty much a GUARANTEED loss with this group though unfortunately....

Yeah. I mean even if we weren't awful on back-to-backs Milwaukee is a bad match-up for us. Two young, quick guards AND some big bodies down low.

Gasol would be our only real mismatch on offense consistently. I think the only way we win tomorrow is if Dwight lights it up tomorrow. He's the only one that can carry us in that game. Kobe will have to defend ONE of their guards which means he'll be tired for the offensive end.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 am

He seems to have lost ALOT of lift and athleticism, during our championship years he was just sooo much more agile, has nothing to do with dunking the ball. When he would make post moves he was soo much quicker with them. Now he barely gets off the ground and they look AWFUL even when they go in. I still think he can be an integral part of the team, I just wonder if he has lost what made him so powerful for good.
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
DuddlyDoRight

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:51 am

He scores all these points and he gives it all away on the other end...18 points for Cunningham + layup line, are you kidding me man, Ilyasova is gonna torch him if he plays like that tonight. Stu kept calling him out saying he wasnt challenging the shots and the layups came too easy for Minnesota with Pau standing flat footed

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:28 am

DuddlyDoRight wrote:He seems to have lost ALOT of lift and athleticism, during our championship years he was just sooo much more agile, has nothing to do with dunking the ball. When he would make post moves he was soo much quicker with them. Now he barely gets off the ground and they look AWFUL even when they go in. I still think he can be an integral part of the team, I just wonder if he has lost what made him so powerful for good.

Age...wear and tear...slow recuperation...it affects all athletes. Gasol probably wants to do what he used to do but just cannot anymore.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:10 am

Yeah I think he is just physically limited unfortunately.

That being said look at guys like Kobe, Metta, Duncan, KG, Grant Hill, etc with as many years in the league. If he approached basketball like an obsessive craft, it could make a difference.

I could be wrong, but if Pau trained a bit harder, cut out sugar of his diet etc. I think we'd see improvement. But he's Spanish he probably likes them rice and beers too much. Stick to the seafood Pau!
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:15 am

What I saw from Pau was less jumpshots, more paint work. THAT'S how he needs to play offensively. I'd rather watch Pau in the post than Dwight. Dwight can fight for the offensive rebounds or work with Nash/Blake in the pick and roll, but Pau is our post man.

That left hook is his most dangerous weapon, it's pretty much unguardable. That's the ONE shot I loved Gasol for, because he's pretty much the only one with it.

I want more of that play out of him. Defensively, he needs to stop helping and stay on his man. Dwight has the paint when they're together, but he has to rotate when Dwight helps.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Center Court on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:27 am

Chillbongo wrote:Yeah I think he is just physically limited unfortunately.

That being said look at guys like Kobe, Metta, Duncan, KG, Grant Hill, etc with as many years in the league. If he approached basketball like an obsessive craft, it could make a difference.

I could be wrong, but if Pau trained a bit harder, cut out sugar of his diet etc. I think we'd see improvement. But he's Spanish he probably likes them rice and beers too much. Stick to the seafood Pau!

Kobe is not human
KG is freak and has slid to the C mostly
Metta is decent at best
Grant Hill is done
Duncan plays more pyshcial than Pau and is at the C

realistically, Pau is not going to be effective on D of we are asking him to guard the PF spot. He won't be all that great either way, but if he's guarding 4's, we're done.
Center Court

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:31 am

:man3: It was age comparison not on court production.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:54 am

I actually think Pau is VERY dedicated to his craft. You don't have post moves like he does if you don't.

I don't think cutting sugar out would help him that much because it's not about being tired necessarily, I just think he doesn't have the lift he used to have and he never had a ton to begin with. I'm sure exhaustion has something to do with what he looks like now after returning from injury, but not as much as him just being weak physically.

The best thing would have been if he started lifting more regularly and more weight 10 years ago. If he had some muscle on his frame he'd be more durable now, but it's much too late for that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:58 pm

Pau having no lift is a direct result of his plantar fasciitis and now his recovery from tearing it. Remember that he had this condition ALL season but it was undiagnosed. He also had tendinitis in both knees for the first couple/few months of the season to make matters worse. But what we're seeing right now in terms of lack of lift is from his injury. He's just coming back from what 6 weeks off? He's not going to be 100% any time soon. Remember when Kobe had plantar fasciitis? It hurt his lift as well. Remember Artest with it? Same. Hopefully it'll get better sooner than later, but in the meantime his shot will be flat and he won't be doing a lot of jumping to alter or block shots. It is what it is. We've been destroyed by injuries this year. But luckily we're still at least in the hunt for the playoffs. Injuries don't excuse some of these losses (Wiz at home, Golden State blowing us out), which had as much to do with complacency/lack of effort and urgency. But they do explain some of the players' weaknesses on the court.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:19 pm

i have no issues with Pau's 2 inch vertical as long as i see him trying...even when he gets beat on defense, as long as he's trying...when he's just loafing around, THAT's when i get irked
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 pm

glad he was in the post. tonight will be hard since he'll be guarded by a pretty tall guy who can rebound very well.
Ariza3

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:19 pm

^^ Larry Sanders is 6'11. Pau is 7'0. Sanders may be more athletic. But if Pau played the way he did yesterday, in the post, I think he can take him.

I've been giving Pau crap for the past 2 seasons because of the type of play he's been outputting. But last night was the first time I've seen Pau aggressive in the post since the 08-10 seasons. He NEEDS to be in the post.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:I actually think Pau is VERY dedicated to his craft. You don't have post moves like he does if you don't.

I don't think cutting sugar out would help him that much because it's not about being tired necessarily, I just think he doesn't have the lift he used to have and he never had a ton to begin with. I'm sure exhaustion has something to do with what he looks like now after returning from injury, but not as much as him just being weak physically.

The best thing would have been if he started lifting more regularly and more weight 10 years ago. If he had some muscle on his frame he'd be more durable now, but it's much too late for that.

Aside from being one of the most inflammatory things consumed (which influences tissue healing), actually sugar (and other foods that are high on the glycemic index) promote increased insulin release. The more glucose the more insulin is released until the body can't keep up with the demands. There are then more glucose molecules in your bloodstream than the insulin can handle, so the glucose binds to protein molecules and basically inhibits their protein functions. Damaged protein signals the body to send white cells to the site for repairs and they attack the body's tissues instead. This is all while of course the body not burning fat as an energy source. Sugar is BAD. I'm sure it was just a coincidence that Dwight's improved play came exactly at the same time as he cut sugar out of his diet.
Chillbongo

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:00 pm

So frustrating - when Dwight goes out, opposing teams know they can get to the rim at will.

Gasol just stands there and watches all the layups and dunks. :bang:
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby noobiew on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:17 pm

Pau's defense -> :disagree:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby John3:16 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:29 pm

I feel bad for whatever team trades for Gasol. His defense is atrocious. Layup line whenever he's in the game.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:37 pm

John3:16 wrote:I feel bad for whatever team trades for Gasol. His defense is atrocious. Layup line whenever he's in the game.

Lets hope that Rubio can talk him up to Kahn, because thats the only way we're gonna get any value for Pau.

He's so slow and lazy on D Im literally laughing watching him the way I would when Metta has one of his patented WTF! moments.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:41 pm

You know I've come to expect his defense to be bad; that doesn't surprise me. What I don't understand is he had a clear advantage inside and we went away from it. If anything, we could have played through him offensively a lot more.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion