Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Crusty

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I thought it was absolutely insane to have Pau in the game in the 4th. He can work with the right lineup, but that squad on the floor for the end of the game was...

QUESTIONABLE.

I've thought about it, and I really cannot think of why Pau was on the floor. What was he bringing? HE WASN'T EVEN BACKING UP DWIGHT!!!!

...I actually felt rage IRL thinking about that so I had to use caps.

But honestly, that was one of the most boneheaded things I've seen from D'Antoni this year. It doesn't take a NBA level coach to see that Pau being virtually immobile DOES NOT MAKE HIM THE GREATEST CHOICE FOR A WING DEFENDER AND SHOOTER.

HOW in God's name is the rotation still doing this nonsense?! Pau should backup Dwight. Or if it's an odd matchup situation, he should come in to operate from the elbow in a 2 man game.

Watching that unit with Blake and Jamison come in and ball their way to a lead, then watch the horrendous Pau/Dwight/Kobe lineup self immolate was so, so painful.
SpencerHarrison

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Can someone explain to me why in the bleep when Pau and Dwight are in the game at the same time and Pau has the ball in high post on one side of the key that Dwight just stands over behind his man guarding him on the other side of the key down low with his thumb up his butt. Just like he does with Kobe. Why can't he fake going under or over his man and dive the opposite direction with his speed into the key and then out of it if the pass doesn't come. Pau would hit him. How come Clark and Jamison can do this so easily.....make a quick move to get open for a pass. It's so elementary. :bang:
LTLakerFan

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:49 pm

Because Gasol/Howard is a complete trainwreck under the best conditions - now we have recovering Howard, and Pau "Shouldn't Be Playing" Gasol.
SpencerHarrison

Postby noobiew on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am

Whatever Pau brings to the table offensively is completely negated due to his defense.

Mike Dumbtoni, we cannot afford you to start him at the 4 anymore. :disagree:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby borri on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:07 am

noobiew wrote:Whatever Pau brings to the table offensively is completely negated due to his defense.

Mike Dumbtoni, we cannot afford you to start him at the 4 anymore. :disagree:

What's new though. This is Antoni. You can't shoot, you don't play. SImple as that. Dude's #1 and only priority is offense. Pau and Meeks can shoot, so they start and play. Jamison can shoot, so he plays. Nevermind that these 3 are pretty piss poor on D.

That's why J.Hill rode the pine. Now Clark is riding it too. It is what it is. A horrible hire from the start.
borri

Postby SpencerHarrison on Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:16 am

Clark still deserves Pau's minutes. Nothing has changed.
SpencerHarrison

Postby KB24 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:15 am

I liked how Pau was featured on offense. Him posting up is one of our better go to plays.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 am

I thought Pau looked damn good in the 3rd when the ball was going through him. He was either getting a good shot or setting up a teammate.

But I'm not sure I've seen defense this bad since maybe :atkins:
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

SpencerHarrison wrote:Clark still deserves Pau's minutes. Nothing has changed.

Disagree. Right now neither of them deserve those minutes. Clark hit the "rookie" wall at 200 MPH and Pau isn't healthy enough to be playing more than 20 minutes a game as a backup. I'd rather Sacre and Duhon getting those minutes right now and I'm dead serious.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 pm

Godawful on defense, but damn his passing and offense were on point tonight and Pau played a big part in our victory. He did manage that one defensive stop on Evans that was essential in the win. How many assists did he have tonight? Double digits for sure.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:42 pm

He deserves some props for his performance on offense. Big game. He got the high/low game working for us, opened things up for Howard, and got a bit for himself.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:16 pm

^^ agreed. And actually, his weak D wasn't as exposed this game, mainly IMO because kings didn't run pick and roll with his man enough, and also because Cousins and Thompson took mid-range jumpers.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:18 pm

He made 3 midrange J's today, what a world of difference that makes

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:25 pm

:jam2:
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby jlkr on Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Well Pau gets Dirk on Tuesday. Big game for both. Be an excellent marker for how far Pau has come along.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby The Rock on Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:02 pm

He had 2 dunks and 3 mid range J's, hes a completely different player when he makes those open opportunities, he builds on that confidence and tries to make plays. Dirk is red hot right now I dont know how Pau is gonna guard him, maybe put Dwight on him? But Dwight goes for head fakes too much

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Pau Discussion: Trusty

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:14 am

His D is never going to be anything special at this point, but if he's going to give us that much on offense with the 12 points and 10 assists, I can't complain.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:42 pm

hes getting there.. 4 assists away from a triple double
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm

I haven't seen him get after it in the post like this in quite some time. No pansy weak stuff, he's taking straight to the defense. Props.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 pm

nice to see him encouraging dwight while the mavs were doing hack a howard
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:nice to see him encouraging dwight while the mavs were doing hack a howard

yea i mentioned it in gameday. i was glad to see pau trying to lighten him up for the first trip to the line as soon as they started doing that. i think dwight needs and responds to that
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:50 pm

He looked pretty damn effective out there on both ends really. Only a few real gaffs defensively, but I can live with that.

Pump up the value, Pau!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Nice game but he should produce more with the way the opposite D is ignoring him ...

Stop forcing the lob to D12 when it isn't there , been doing this all season long ...

He's all by himself around the FT line and instead of taking a practice shot with confidence , he's throwing the ball at the rim hoping Dwight gets the offensive rebound :man3:
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I haven't seen him get after it in the post like this in quite some time. No pansy weak stuff, he's taking straight to the defense. Props.

+1
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:04 pm

I didn't love Pau's game tonight. He found it a little bit later on, but he needs to do more if we want to make the playoffs.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion