Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 am

Playing in the Olympics was clearly a higher priority for him than the Lakers.

I just hope he brings the same intensity he had for the Spanish National Team to the Lakers this season.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:47 am

Weezy wrote:Sorry, I know gold medal games are important, but when you get paid 19 million dollars per season that should be pretty damn important too, you should be giving everything you have at least more than half the time.

I think you have some misconceptions about the motivational power of money. For someone who already has a lot of it....there's a point of diminishing returns in motivation.

I can guarantee you though...when he's out on the court fighting for a rebound or going up for a shot...the last thing he is thinking about is how much his game check is going to be.

One thing he does know...is that the money is coming no matter what...effort or no effort, made shot or missed shot. Yet, he still goes out there and plays...and last season, in the face of constant adversity, he turned in the most professional season I have seen from him.

Bottomline, he's not playing for money...
kray28

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:58 am

I hope this motivates him to come out and be like 2008, 2009 and 2010 Pau.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:01 am

The Rock wrote:
bystander wrote:Look guys, I won't argue about Pau performances back to back playoffs. I still can't believe his problem is effort, but mosty something mentally. My take is he wasn't up to it in the last Phil run, and unmotivated with Mike Brown last year. Still his fault, but effort i don't think that was the issue.

But you can't compare a gold medal game for a athlete than any professional game. It's way bigger.

- He just lost his purpose for playing basketball with the Lakers. He looked so confused last 2 years, I think he's rejeuvenated now
- He didn't fit well with Bynum on the floor, now the low post is all his
- Too many minutes. He shouldn't be playing the amount of minutes that he does

I expect an All star return to form from him this year

Do you expect Dwight to play for the D-Fenders ?
wcsoldier81

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:06 am

Pau & Drew simply didn't fit.. Dwight will get plenty of touches too but people are underlooking how much Pau had to be the mature one & sacrifice to help Drew's game grow.. Dwight does so much on the offensive boards & just by being able to go get anything thrown near the rim.. Dwight & Kobe passing out of doubles to Pau & Nash finding Pau for easy looks.. I don't see how he doesn't have a resurgence this season.. If Dwight is out until Dec-Jan, I think Pau will be on track to be an allstar
lakersin4

Postby The Rock on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:21 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
The Rock wrote:
bystander wrote:Look guys, I won't argue about Pau performances back to back playoffs. I still can't believe his problem is effort, but mosty something mentally. My take is he wasn't up to it in the last Phil run, and unmotivated with Mike Brown last year. Still his fault, but effort i don't think that was the issue.

But you can't compare a gold medal game for a athlete than any professional game. It's way bigger.

- He just lost his purpose for playing basketball with the Lakers. He looked so confused last 2 years, I think he's rejeuvenated now
- He didn't fit well with Bynum on the floor, now the low post is all his
- Too many minutes. He shouldn't be playing the amount of minutes that he does

I expect an All star return to form from him this year

Do you expect Dwight to play for the D-Fenders ?

Im sure Dwight will get post touches but it will be more in the pick and roll variety since hes the best P & R finisher in the game and Nash is the best P & R passer in the game. Id prefer they stick to that and transition while running the halfcourt stuff through Pau and Kobe in the post

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby 24K GOLD on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:21 pm

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 pm

a lot of euro players play better for their national team...but for all those saying pau is "done" etc. can just watch that game. dude was balling in the 3rd and carrying his team...going against tyson and lebron.

i knew USA would win but it was still a close fun game. the entire match i was watching kobe and Pau and seeing what they were doing. specifically Pau and i was very happy with what i saw from him. The pau i was watching today was one who was just playing basketball and not thinking or worrying about anything. he wasn't traded and apparently wasnt going to be this summer. hes got a killer lineup to play with and knows hes not going anywhere. guy still has a ton of skill and talent and i expect him to show it next year for the lakers. hes got nash feeding him and also he has dwight to pass it too.

i think he had like 24/8/7 this game...thats insane for a big guy to be able to do that. Lakers are gunna be a great team if pau plays crappy and an amazing team if he plays like he did vs USA (the best players in the world).

Kobe & Pau relationship seems to be back to what it used to be judging by the olympics. guys clearly have a special bond and winning will only make it better. who wouldnt be happy to have Nash on your team let alone Dwight too.

Now that he has Dwight next to him as a more off ball presence than back to basket iso like Drew; Pau will be back i know it and prob borderline triple double like to day every night. the guy can easily do 15/7/7 with Nash passing it to him and Dwight playing next to him. That's insane for a 7 footer. cant wait for this season! Pau will be back better than ever...a clear mind, better PG, Dwight, knows he aint going anywhere, Kobe happy...only good things to come. :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Pau Gasol: I'm so lucky to be sharing these moments with my brother. Very proud of him! We have a great team!! #Brotherhood
:jam2:
Ariza3

Postby kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
Pau Gasol: I'm so lucky to be sharing these moments with my brother. Very proud of him! We have a great team!! #Brotherhood

Was he talking about Kobe or Marc?
kray28

Postby Egor190 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:22 pm

kray28 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

I would have to say Marc
Egor190

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:06 pm

kray28 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

Is kobe on the Spanish team?
D.B. Cooper

Postby kray28 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:12 pm

D.B. Cooper wrote:
kray28 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

Is kobe on the Spanish team?

In an different context, he could be talking about Kobe? Why are you asking stupid rhetorical questions?
kray28

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:34 pm

You were the one that asked a stupid question so we had to dumb it down so you could understand that quote about Gasol and HIS brother from the same mother
D.B. Cooper

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm

he has called kobe his brother before so i dont know if he's talking about marc or kobe but either way we all know he feels the same way about kobe
Ariza3

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm pretty sure he was referring to his biological brother Marc.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby GNC on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:50 pm

I really hope Pau can bring the intensity/mentality he had during these Olympics for us again.. that would be huge.
GNC

Postby XXIV on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:57 pm

The LA Times reported that the team was looking at trading veteran Pau Gasol to the Atlanta Hawks for Josh Smith a few weeks ago and now that the Lakers have added Dwight Howard, making a deal for his AAU playing partner could make this a complete team.

The Lakers have struggled to find a quality small forward for years and acquiring the young Smith could have this team contending for several titles. Gasol had a terrific summer playing for Spain in the Olympics, but his playoff struggles have fans and the team questioning his heart, but a move to Atlanta would breathe new life in the veteran and give the Hawks the experience they need.

This deal would require both teams to make a tough decision, but swapping these two forwards would actually help both franchises. The Hawks would get the veteran they need to lead their youngsters and the LA Lakers would add a younger player that could play alongside Howard for several years, especially now that Kobe Bryant is entering the twilight of his NBA career.

While nothing concrete about this rumor is happening, this trade is one that could really change the landscape of the league and make fans of both cities excited about the upcoming basketball season.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981540816

I'd much rather keep Pau especially now that we already have Dwight. While Smith might be a better long term solution, we are currently in win NOW mode.
XXIV

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Pau > Smith

No way we should make that deal.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm

XXIV wrote:
The LA Times reported that the team was looking at trading veteran Pau Gasol to the Atlanta Hawks for Josh Smith a few weeks ago and now that the Lakers have added Dwight Howard, making a deal for his AAU playing partner could make this a complete team.

The Lakers have struggled to find a quality small forward for years and acquiring the young Smith could have this team contending for several titles. Gasol had a terrific summer playing for Spain in the Olympics, but his playoff struggles have fans and the team questioning his heart, but a move to Atlanta would breathe new life in the veteran and give the Hawks the experience they need.

This deal would require both teams to make a tough decision, but swapping these two forwards would actually help both franchises. The Hawks would get the veteran they need to lead their youngsters and the LA Lakers would add a younger player that could play alongside Howard for several years, especially now that Kobe Bryant is entering the twilight of his NBA career.

While nothing concrete about this rumor is happening
, this trade is one that could really change the landscape of the league and make fans of both cities excited about the upcoming basketball season.

I'd much rather keep Pau especially now that we already have Dwight. While Smith might be a better long term solution, we are currently in win NOW mode.

Sounds like pure speculation to me.
Snake Eyes

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 pm

Smith is one of dumbest sob in the NBA but cheaper than Pau, I can see Lakers doing it after this season
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby rick on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 pm

XXIV wrote:

While nothing concrete about this rumor is happening, this trade is one that could really change the landscape of the league and make fans of both cities excited about the upcoming basketball season.

This was made may 24 2012, I think it's bogus
rick

Postby therealdeal on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 pm

That's a rehashed rumor from months ago. I can see the Lakers going after Smith at some point because he's young and athletic, and a good friend of Howard, but right now we're going to go with Gasol. I just don't see them moving him after a) Kobe put his neck out there for him and b) he had such a strong showing in the Olympics.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Pau is going to be with us for as long as Kobe is with us.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion