Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion (out indefinitely for now, d2d p.222)

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:Can we stop the Pau for Anderson rumors now? Dude is Kevin Love-lite. No way NOH parts with him, IMO.

Still can't understand why Orlando did.....

For Gustavo Ayon nonetheless. They resigned Jameer Nelson and let Anderson go. Yikes.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:Can we stop the Pau for Anderson rumors now? Dude is Kevin Love-lite. No way NOH parts with him, IMO.

Still can't understand why Orlando did.....

For Gustavo Ayon nonetheless. They resigned Jameer Nelson and let Anderson go. Yikes.

according to their fan base, belief was that Anderson wouldn't be as effective w/o a post presence like Howard to free him up for open looks, which I can understand and so they didn't want to pay him all that money knowing Howard was gone.
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:57 am

Source: Ignore any and all trade talk about Pau Gasol because the Lakers landed Steve Nash by promising him he would get to play with Gasol. Sulia

Nash made it a prerequisite for passing on offers from Toronto and the Knicks that Pau would be around, the source said. Such prerequisites from an incoming star aren't that unusual -- Chris Paul made similar personnel demands as part of his agreement to be dealt to the Clippers. (In Paul's case, he wanted assurance that LAC would do whatever was necessary to retain restricted FA DeAndre Jordan.) Conceivably, once Nash gets back and actually plays with Gasol, the Lakers could continue to struggle and Nash re-thinks his position. But as of right now, one of the enticements that brought Nash to LA was the big Spaniard and the organization would have much bigger problems than they already have if they backtracked on their promise to keep Gasol in the fold. Sulia
Ariza3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:05 am

that was before we got dwight. i think having dwight may change that request slightly.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby The Rock on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:11 am

Bargnani is averaging under 5 rebs a game. no thanks

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:15 am

I'm becoming more and more open to the idea of trading Pau to the Raptors...as it is the most realistic deal that can be had at this point, and the Raptors wouldn't be giving up Lowry or Derozan to get a deal done. It'll be a simple 2 for 1...Bargs and Calderon for Gasol, although I'd love to get Kleiza from them as well....get three international players on our team, all of which would contribute. However, the Twolves trade is still nice, as Jamison would still start, and we'd have a much stronger bench with Pek, Ridnour, Derrick Williams, and Meeks coming in. You can't really go wrong with either deal. I think it starts with understanding that this team lacks depth and are not getting much from Pau as it stands...and our 4 spot is already pretty strong even without him (heck, even Earl Clark would get burn at the PF spot). I think if anything, the Lakers need to land a stud SF for Pau, or look to add solid back ups at the PG, SF and PF spots.

Rock, i hate Bargs as much as anybody, but the real prize in the deal is Calderon. Our PG position would be solidified with Nash/Calderon...and our PF spot is still in tact with Jamison/Hill. Bargs, I'm not really high on him but he would definitely act as a Ryan Anderson to our team with the ability to hit the 3 ball.
FabFourLakers

Postby The Rock on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:18 am

Im for trading Pau but we gotta do it for the right guys...not sure if Bargs/Calderon solve any problems. Too many changes to the core is not good, continuity is a good thing but if we're bringing in player they better be established players who meet several of our needs Duhon is playing backup mins really well right now and Jamison is giving you the stretch 4 mins.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 am

Sources: Lakers rebuff trade talksUpdated: December 6, 2012, 2:54 AM ETBy Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne | ESPN.com
The Los Angeles Lakers, largely at the behest of general manager Mitch Kupchak, have rebuffed trade inquiries from at least two teams for Pau Gasol, according to sources with knowledge of the Lakers' thinking.

The Toronto Raptors and Minnesota Timberwolves have both recently tried to engage the Lakers in trade discussions for Gasol, sources told ESPN.com, but the Lakers continue to tell teams that call that they will not consider dealing the Spaniard until L.A. can fully assess its roster after the return of injured point guard Steve Nash.

Trade speculation involving Gasol nonetheless shows little sign of abating, even as the 32-year-old is being held out of the lineup to combat a worsening bout with knee tendinitis. That's likely because, as part of an ESPNLosAngeles.com story Tuesday that Gasol has not been shelved because a deal is imminent, ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin also reported, according to sources, that Kupchak has advised Gasol's representatives the Lakers will have no choice but to start exploring possible trade scenarios if the former All-Star is unable to eventually adjust to D'Antoni's system.

Sources said Wednesday that, along with the strong support that Gasol continues to get publicly and behind Lakers doors from star guard Kobe Bryant, Kupchak has been adamant that L.A. should wait until Nash's return before making any further judgments about how the team's parts mesh. D'Antoni took the job Nov. 11, knowing he wouldn't have the benefit of training camp, when the Lakers made the third-fastest coaching change in NBA history by firing Mike Brown five games into the season.

Stretch power forward Andrea Bargnani, veteran point guard Jose Calderon and fellow vet Linas Kleiza are among the players, sources say, that the Raptors have discussed making available to the Lakers in a deal for Gasol. It's an open secret around the league, meanwhile, that Timberwolves general manager David Kahn has been trying since last season to acquire Gasol to join fellow Spaniard Ricky Rubio in a three-man core with All-Star forward Kevin Love, but sources say that the Lakers continue to resist Minnesota's attempts to build a trade offer around 2011's No. 2 overall pick Derrick Williams and center Nikola Pekovic

CBSSports.com reported Wednesday that there's a growing belief among rival executives that Toronto has emerged as the most likely landing spot for Gasol, given Bargnani's potential as a floor-spacing frontcourt partner to Dwight Howard and the boost Calderon could give a backcourt that has featured Nash for only a game and a half this season thanks to the 38-year-old's fractured fibula and will be without Steve Blake for the next 6-to-8 weeks after abdominal surgery.

It is widely presumed around the league that Howard's former Orlando teammate Ryan Anderson, now in New Orleans, is the Lakers' No. 1 trade target if they were to consent to dealing Gasol. But sources told ESPN.com on Wednesday that Anderson is regarded as a virtual untouchable by the Hornets, given that the 24-year-old is not only a highly competent stretch power forward signed to a comparatively reasonable four-year contract but also because Anderson has proven to be an underrated rebounder. Rebounding and defense have long been areas of concern with Bargnani, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft.

Bargnani, though, is only 27 and can supply the sort of long-range shooting that Gasol, even when healthy, cannot. D'Antoni and the Phoenix Suns enjoyed considerable success when Nash combined with one pick-and-rolling inside force  Amare Stoudemire  and was otherwise surrounded by a plethora of shooters. The Suns, though, didn't function nearly as smoothly when they traded for Shaquille O'Neal and suddenly had to accommodate two scorers who head for the rim.

The Atlanta Hawks have also been frequently mentioned as a potential trade partner in a Gasol deal, most notably by Lakers legend Magic Johnson on an early season episode of "NBA Countdown." But ESPN.com reported earlier this month that the Hawks, on schedule to have major salary-cap space in July 13, currently have no interest in parting with free agent-to-be Josh Smith in a trade for a player five years older and with Gasol struggling with knee trouble and scheduled to earn $19.3 million next season.

Gasol has two sore knees and is off to the worst start of his career in terms of shooting (42 percent from the field) and scoring (on both a per-game and per-minute basis). Yet he continues to be the subject of more trade speculation that virtually any other marquee player in the NBA, which has been a fact of daily life for Gasol ever since he was included by the Lakers in a four-team deal last December that would have netted Chris Paul until NBA commissioner David Stern  saying he was acting as New Orleans' owner at the time because the league still owned the Hornets at that stage  told New Orleans' basketball people to cancel the trade.

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported this week that some league executives believe Gasol will be difficult to trade because of his age, health, declining production and the high-dollar amount of his salary next season. Sources told Broussard that Atlanta and the Houston Rockets, two clubs long linked to Gasol, no longer have interest in acquiring him. The same, sources told Broussard, holds for the Denver Nuggets, who possess multiple players who would appear to fit D'Antoni's system well.

If the Lakers eventually do decide to deal Gasol, it will be over the strong objection of Bryant, who on Tuesday offered his strongest public support to date to back the 7-footer with whom he has won two NBA championships.

"I love Pau like a brother," Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com on Tuesday before the Lakers' fall-from-ahead loss in Houston. "I really do. I want him to dominate like I know he can.

"I want him to dig in and be determined not discouraged," Bryant continued. "We should go to him more on the post because he can dominate from there as he has to the tune of two rings. I'm sure we will adjust and figure out a balance when he comes back healthy."

The two veterans had a lengthy summit Monday night at the team hotel in Houston.

"I know his knees have been hurting and that can be frustrating because you can't do physically what you are used to," Bryant said. "I just don't want him to sulk about the change of things."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8719587/los-angeles-lakers-rebuffing-trade-inquiries-pau-gasol
wcsoldier81

Postby Armani on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:24 am

Bargnani doesn't rebound or play D... he's just not the player healthy Gasol is. Why is everyone so high on him?

I am surprised Minny might give up Pekovic... he's a solid player.
Armani

Postby thisbjgz on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:29 am

Although Pek is a pretty good player, we have no use for him in our system, especially with the amount of bigs we have. I like the Raptors package but I have concerns about Barg's health. Calderon is a starting-caliber PG..he can easily average 8-10 assists if given the minutes, and I bet he can average at least 7 in MDA's system even in bench minutes.

If it's Minny, Id definitely ask for AK or some sort of shooter in Barea, Budinger, Shved, or Ridnor included in the package as rumored.
thisbjgz

Postby last stand on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:41 am

lol i'd rather have the kleiza, calderon, bargnani deal and that's not saying much. but at least we'd solve a few needs

just not ideally
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LooN3y on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 am

we lost any change or hopes of winning.
LooN3y

Postby Weezy on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:50 am

Teams are offering us useful players for Pau with his value this low, and we're not even CONSIDERING it? Sucks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:53 am

So we know the offers on the table now are :-

Raptors : Andrea Bargnani, Jose Calderon, Linas Kleiza
Wolves : Derrick William, Nikola Pekovic

Maybe Mitch is looking for a third team to involve here ? 3-way deal in Mitch I believe :jam2:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby noobiew on Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 am

thisbjgz wrote:Although Pek is a pretty good player, we have no use for him in our system, especially with the amount of bigs we have.

Nikola Pekovic is a very solid center and a valuable trade asset, maybe we could shift & trade him to other team for a quality athletic young wing player in return ?
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Damian Necronamous on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 am

Bargnani would actually be a great fit next to Howard, Kobe and Nash.

Gasol, Duhon, Blake for Bargnani, Calderon and Terrence Ross is a deal that I'd think about.

But you can't deal Pau until you give him a shot with Nash and the rest of the team. I just hope that happens in 2-3 weeks because time is running out here.
Damian Necronamous

Postby Alcindor on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:34 am

Problem with both Mini and Toronto's offers are Pekovic and Calderon are both expirings and could be starters on other teams. Both will cost to retain and maybe more than we are willing to spend, especially in Calderon's case as we are PG heavy. And that's if they were willing to stay.
Alcindor

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 am

Calderon challenges Nash level of D ... so no (same with Andrea) ... (re)trading Pau for valuable and suitable pieces is going to be very challenging ... even for Mitch the Wizard
wcsoldier81

Postby juninho on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:14 am

i liked wolves' offer ala derrick willlams and pekovic. We dont need pekovic but we can trade him to a 3rd team and get a sf.
juninho

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:16 am

The fact that teams are still calling about Pau and offering packages that aren't so bad for him is a good thing...it means Pau's value hasn't completely fallen off just yet. I feel like we don't need to get a big name in return...we just need solid players that will know their role. Ideally I'd love to deal with DENVER...they have a few guys that will fit Dantoni's system perfectly....Wilson Chandler would be the main guy in the deal...heck if the Nuggets would consider it....Pau for Andre Iguodala would be the perfect deal. I'd love to get Iggy AND WC, since the Nuggets have a glut at the SG/SF position...and giving more consistent minutes to guys like Brewer ahd Hamilton who can space the floor for them would be ideal. Iggy/WC for Pau is the ideal package.....we get way more athletic on the perimeter. I think the Nuggets would probably give us one of their stiffs too..probably Koufos....so that the Nuggs would run a big man rotation of Pau/Faried/Mcgee and mix in some mozgov.

I doubt Denver would do that deal but the Lakers should definitely be calling Denver for a deal involving Pau. After all, the Nuggets are lacking a "post" presence, and we are lacking athleticism and defense on the perimeter. Either its WC and 3 other players or Iggy/WC/Koufos for Pau and Ebanks.
FabFourLakers

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:23 am

Also keep in mind, in any Pau Gasol deal, I believe Mitch will try to unload Steve Blake as well. That's why I feel that the Toronto deal makes the most sense, because they will absorb steve blake's contract at the cost of getting Gasol, and they'll be willing to give us one of their young players to obtain Gasol...somebody like Terrence Ross. Im thinking the trade will be something like Calderon, Bargs, Kleiza and Ross for Gasol, Blake and Morris.
FabFourLakers

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 am

I dont think IF there is a trade that they'll give up Morris. i think they'll continue to develop him. Probably Gasol Blake DJO or something, most likely not Morris. Kobe seems to like him too and other than recent bad shooting hes been doing well for us. Played well tonight and under control
Ariza3

Postby Greatest of All Time on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:48 am

Rockets fans have talked about potentially signing Jefferson or Millsap.

Timberwolves fans think they can get Pau without giving up Pekovic but that report shows they're willing to give him up in a deal.

This information has inspired me to come up with more crazy trade ideas

+picks to Jazz

Houston could sign Millsap or Jefferson in the offseason but Utah might trade them to someone else at the deadline. They give up some expirings and 2 rookie contracts, I used Terrence Jones and Donuts as examples but they can use 2 of their million power fowards.

Utah Jazz get a combination of youth / expiring contracts/ white players/a solid to above average young big man that can be used as a trade chip or Favors/Kanter could potentially become trade chips as well. They gofrom paying $23 million in guaranteed contracts in 2012-2013 to $17.2 million in 2012-2013 and 2.9 million in 2013-2014. If they don't want Ridnour for 2 years, take a Duhon semi-expiring to save money or an Earl Clark expiring to save even more. The picks they get can be used or used as trade chips as well.

I have the Lakers taking back Williams and Barea because Kirilenko can't be traded until Dec. 15 or 3 months after he signed the contract, whichever comes first but if I'm Mitch I call Kahn's bluff and try to get Kirilenko. Maybe try to squeeze Budinger out them as well.
Greatest of All Time

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 am

FabFourLakers wrote:I'm seeing 2 packages out there that I very much like:

Gasol for Pekovic/Ridnour/Derrick Williams/1st round pick

Gasol for Bargnani/Calderon

Both trades would help our team immensely. Although I hate Bargnani, I think the italian connection with Dantoni, and playing with a guy like Nash...it's a perfect fit for him. Calderon also being our back up PG makes our second unit a thousand times better because he plays just like Nash and can shoot the 3 ball like Nash too.

The Twolves trade is interesting...Ridnour is a huge upgrade over any of our back up PG's right now....Pekovic is a legit big man who can play the 5...Derrick Williams is a nice young player who given the right team, can really fill it up...and of course its nice to have a 1st round pick.

I'd be shocked if either team would help us out though...I think at this point its unrealistic to expect to get a player like Kevin Love for Pau, so I think the Twolves deal IS more realistic than people think. Both deals are nice...I like the Toronto deal a little bit more for us right NOW, as Bargnani is a way better fit next to Dwight than pau is because of his ability to stretch the floor...and calderon is a perfect fit in dantoni's offense and he would allow Nash to play 25-28 mpg.

They'll do the deal with Minny and it won't be Pekovic but rather AK-47. Plus, Mitch will probably get some draft picks.

Hill provides what Gasol basically brings to the table and will do it at a much cheaper salary.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:15 am

That report is interesting.. I wonder what Dwill & Pek can be flipped into? I'd like to try to steal Budinger & possibly Ridnour too.. I could see another team being willing to part with some solid pieces for Pek. Hopefully we wouldn't get stuck with Dwill2 but he could serve a decent backup stretch 4. I like Budinger alot for this team, it really comes down to what we could flip Pek for.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion