Pau Discussion: Pau-dini escapes another trade deadline!

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
31%
No
57%
Maybe (explain)
11%

Total votes : 108

Re: Pau Discussion: Expects to Play Tomorrow (327)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:49 am

Chillbongo wrote:Scapegoat.

Absolutely. The team as a whole lost that game. They didn't play with any heart.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 am

I don't see anyone saying he was the only reason, or even the biggest reason, why we lost the game. In fact, I think most of the "zeros" in the Hero/Zero thread went to Kobe..
People are just analyzing how Pau did individually, and I so far agree with most of what has been said. Besides from the expected signs of being a little out of sync and a little out of shape from not playing, there were instances in his performance that generate some concern, particularly regarding his mental edge or mental approach to the game. That should not be affected by the injury he suffered, and if anything, it should've improved considering the team did well without him and he kinda needed to "earn" the many minutes he wants to play, but no, he didn't look particularly motivated.
Granted, it's ONE game, and everyone seemed lazy/complacent and times, but I don't think most of the comments in the previous page were unfair
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 am

1. Before his injury he was playing the best basketball he's played in 2 years as a Laker. His confidence was high. An injury is going to shake that confidence mentally and physically. He looked like a person who didn't trust his body. All prior biases aside in terms of looking at his physical condition: he looked like he wasn't ready to play basketball.

2. Never underestimate the need for trust in someone's body when they're playing a physical game. We're starting to see Dwight trust his back more and more and he's giving us fantastic basketball down low. Pau isn't there and he won't be for a while. His importance to the team is as a backup Center right now. Giving Earl time to rest and allowing us to run a deeper rotation than we'd been running.

3. I read a post back there that said it's a disgrace he gets to wear a Laker jersey. That's disgusting. This man helped bring us 2 rings and he's trying to return from an injury to help the team. THAT is the type of post I'm responding to.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Nikez on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:25 am

I'll reserve my judgement about pau's motivations for a few weeks.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:31 am

wide open lane direct to the basket, shoots jumpshot

looks the same to me
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 am

pound4pound1 wrote:wide open lane direct to the basket, shoots jumpshot

looks the same to me

But how soon we all seem to forget that wasn't how he was playing when he came off the bench.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 am

Mental edge is diminished when you have injuries that compromise your physical abilities. If I have a bad ankle I'm less likely to drive it into the paint and lay it in because I'm worried about tweaking it. I'm less likely to contest a layup and then 2nd jump to contest the next shot for fear of landing on someone's foot.

Same thing goes with Pau. He's not 100%, and playing games and being in game shape is different than being "cleared". There's no reason he can't be the same Pau we saw before his injury. And the people saying Pau in a Laker jersey is a disgrace should GTFO
Chillbongo

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 am

Realdeal, I understand the importance of health and of feeling strong, but there are particular instances where Pau's problem looks to be exclusively his mental approach to said play. For example, even if he's not fully healthy, and he's lost a couple of steps, NO ONE that is really focused on making a solid play would guard Ariza the way he did on that drive. Pau just looked very lazy and unmotivated to give real effort in that particular play. And there are plays like that every game, sometimes on offense (overpassing, settling for jumpers instead of using post moves, etc) and sometimes on D.

I agree that the "disgrace he gets to wear a Laker jersey" comment was awful, that's not how I feel at all.
I will forever appreciate Pau's contributions to us, and I'll always respect his game (skills) and the type of person he is. He does frustrate me a lot though, but so do other players.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 am

The way he guarded Ariza was dumb... so was him guarding Ariza in the first place. He doesn't belong anywhere on the floor if he's not a Center. Especially coming off an injury that makes him EVEN SLOWER.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 am

Finwë wrote: For example, even if he's not fully healthy, and he's lost a couple of steps, NO ONE that is really focused on making a solid play would guard Ariza the way he did on that drive. Pau just looked very lazy and unmotivated to give real effort in that particular play.

I think I know what play you're talking about. 2nd half right? Where he didn't shuffle his feet to really get in any sort of defensive position to contest Ariza? I agree, that pissed me off. And I'm not excusing that.

But realistically could he have tweaked his foot on the play before? And that's why he was slow to rotate? It's a possibility, isn't it? I agree, at that point get him out of the game. But I'm hoping plays like that are anomalies, and just because he's still not 100%.
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 am

therealdeal wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:wide open lane direct to the basket, shoots jumpshot

looks the same to me

But how soon we all seem to forget that wasn't how he was playing when he came off the bench.

RD,

i'm going into your optimism thread...i've been bummed since halftime
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am

Comeback game tonight for Pau, i'm calling it! :jam2:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:07 am

No ones there :man10: cheer it up!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:17 pm

ojdidit123 wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:What's lacking with Pau is between the ears, between the ribs, and between the legs.

:bow: The thought of him never being associated with this franchise any longer is almost orgasmic. My hatred of Pau is as strong as ever as a player and I wish nothing but the worst for him in that regard. ROT IN BASKETBALL HELL PAU!!!! Disgraceful that this guy still gets to wear a Laker jersey... He sucked pre-injury, he's sucked since 2010 and he still sucks now. The quicker this guy goes down again or gets the boot the better

Pretty disgusting post there. Hope you felt better after it. Whatever.
LTLakerFan

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm

ojdidit123 wrote:
Punk-101 wrote:What's lacking with Pau is between the ears, between the ribs, and between the legs.

:bow: The thought of him never being associated with this franchise any longer is almost orgasmic. My hatred of Pau is as strong as ever as a player and I wish nothing but the worst for him in that regard. ROT IN BASKETBALL HELL PAU!!!! Disgraceful that this guy still gets to wear a Laker jersey... He sucked pre-injury, he's sucked since 2010 and he still sucks now. The quicker this guy goes down again or gets the boot the better

You're not even a real Laker fan

Garbage tier post by a garbage tier poster
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Yeah, that post about Pau being a disgrace is a little much.

Like I said, we've probably all had our moments of strong Pau-hate but at the end of the day he was the keystone in bringing in 2 back to back titles and 3 finals appearances. And I remember when he came into that second series against the Celtics ready to go against KG's nonsense. Didn't win every trip up the court, but he played with as much heart as I've ever seen.

Related/unrelated: Was there ever an accepted theory on what personal drama went down during Phil's last year with Pau and the team? I've heard Shannon Brown banged his girlfriend, etc. What was the story?
SpencerHarrison

Re: Pau Discussion: Rusty

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm

I think Pau doesn't have that strong desire anymore, it's more about demanding respect as a player on the team as far as playing positions and what not. He's won two titles, I feel he's not that hungry anymore, like if he were to retire he'd be satisfied. I hope that's not the case but that's how I feel.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Finwë on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:48 pm

I don't see any reason as to why he's playing, let alone starting. He was already a step or two slower than the competition before the injury, and now he's out of shape, what does D'Antoni expect? He's obviously killing us on D.
On offense he hasn't contributed at all either. The spot-up mid-range shot is NOT falling, he doesn't really post up much, doesn't really play pick and roll..

So what is he out there for ?
Let's have him get in shape and then see how he looks, but him being back like this doesn't help anyone
Finwë

Postby nolQQkpass on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

enough is enough.. tired of this white span
nolQQkpass

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 pm

Useless not Rusty
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby escobar8 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:46 pm

bring him of the bench becouse this has no sense...start clark again...clark can allmost duplicate his production...while pau would have much bigger impact of the bench...
escobar8

Postby thisbjgz on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Rusty....is kind.
thisbjgz

Postby Weezy on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:02 pm

I guess it's going to take quite a while before he's even back to what he was before he went down, which was not exactly that special. Yikes.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:03 pm

just trying to stroke his ego by letting him start but meh who cares bout winning as long as he can start.
khmrP

Postby noobiew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Please volunteer yourself coming off from bench for the team good sake please :mad1:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion