Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Thread: #vamos #juntos #lakercorazon

Postby Frank Dux on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:51 pm

Amoray wrote:Amnesty Kobe and move on, he is a liablility already since on one will join him to play with him specially any superstar level. If I were Kobe I would have retired now and seek the Lakers FO job to work as assistance GM under Mitch or Coach the Lakers.

0/10
Frank Dux

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h

From a chemistry perspective, Lakers are better off with Pau than Dwight. And they would've amnestied Pau if Dwight had stayed
Retweeted by Kamenetzky Brothers

I've heard we would have amnestied Pau if Dwight stayed from multiple people now and I just don't get that. I can't imagine we could just cut the guy and try and get nothing in return, not even draft picks and a few cheap role players.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby abeer3 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:45 pm

^ agree. don't buy it. pau could have returned something in trade. I also think that if he stays healthy, he could beast it as a dantoni center.
abeer3

Postby Aonex on Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Weezy wrote:

From a chemistry perspective, Lakers are better off with Pau than Dwight. And they would've amnestied Pau if Dwight had stayed

I've heard we would have amnestied Pau if Dwight stayed from multiple people now and I just don't get that. I can't imagine we could just cut the guy and try and get nothing in return, not even draft picks and a few cheap role players.

Jimmy didn't want to take the luxury tax hit I guess.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 pm

abeer3 wrote:^ agree. don't buy it. pau could have returned something in trade. I also think that if he stays healthy, he could beast it as a dantoni center.

I agree we'd have traded him and I agree Pau could be great as a D'Antoni Center if he was healthy and motivated.

But he hasn't been either of those things since 2011, so I'm not going to hold out hope that'll change. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby earvinfr on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:18 am

Pau you're now back at the center position. Just show everyone that the problem isn't you but the system. Eveyone should remember that we won 2 titles with you at center. The decline started when Bynum got major minutes at center.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby kobe_008 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:24 am

Pau is good with any system.
you hust need to play him right

he is more potent in a half court offense IMO
ala triangle
kobe_008

Postby kblo247 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 am

therealdeal wrote:
abeer3 wrote:^ agree. don't buy it. pau could have returned something in trade. I also think that if he stays healthy, he could beast it as a dantoni center.

I agree we'd have traded him and I agree Pau could be great as a D'Antoni Center if he was healthy and motivated.

But he hasn't been either of those things since 2011, so I'm not going to hold out hope that'll change. :man10:

Paint to himself, more fan love because of Dwight, and oh contract year :man10:
kblo247

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm

I doubt there's anything to it, but it does make you wonder. Oh and I'm sure he meant to say "full Mini-MLE".

@KamBrothers: Per @Ramonashelburne, Kaman's getting the full MLE. Unless Pau is getting shopped, this feels like a very strange decision. AK

@KamBrothers: That was my thought. Juuuuuuuust in case. BK RT @LakersBlog_SSR: And the only larger scheme is trading Pau
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Weezy wrote:

well we gona lose Howard for nothing :man1:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:11 pm

Weezy wrote:I doubt there's anything to it, but it does make you wonder. Oh and I'm sure he meant to say "full Mini-MLE".

@KamBrothers: Per @Ramonashelburne, Kaman's getting the full MLE. Unless Pau is getting shopped, this feels like a very strange decision. AK

@KamBrothers: That was my thought. Juuuuuuuust in case. BK RT @LakersBlog_SSR: And the only larger scheme is trading Pau

This occured to me too after ryd's comments.

Something doesn't quite make sense.

Which sucks because I had finally warmed up to Pau again. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby slimjim on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Na, I don't see the lakers trading Pau.

Unless a CP3 calibur deal can be pulled off, Pau is staying a Laker.

Pau's value regardless of play will be highest towards the trade deadline anyway...
slimjim

Postby Dezzie on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Spanish interview with Pau regarding last season, offseason and the future. Did my best in the translation :D
http://www.marca.com/2013/07/12/baloncesto/nba/noticias/1373608465.html

How are you?
I am fine, improving. Everything going according to plan.

It was not a compliment. Lets talk about your knees.
I am a lot better. I can't fulfill physical exercises, until August I won't be working hard. I practice swimming above all else(in the mean time?)

It seems like your injury was more serious than it seemed.
Well, a little bit. It was gonna take 12 weeks of rehab more or less. That time frame is gonna be reached beginning of August. Gonna start testing the knees to see how they are. I have 2 months to get right and start the season in the best way I can. Until now i've had a lo of rest. The doctors recommended that. The liquid that they have injected me with needs time and a lot of rest so the tendons regenerate. I have been hibernating.

Will you be healthy at the start of the season?
I think so. I will work really hard with Joaquin Juan to obtain it. I will do whatever to start the season at my peak level.

Injuries made you suffer last season like never before.
That's the word, like never before since i've been a pro basketball player.

You played with pain for the most part of the season, almost for the first time.
Yes, but it looks bad to say it. What happens is that I arrived to a point where my productivity was diminishing and my level of play was suffering, I had to make the decision to stop. And I was out 2 weeks and a half because of the knees. I thought that with that time off I would get better. In reality I felt better and I returned. In a weeks time I was practically the same before taking the break. It was then that I realized that the knee pain was chronic and it was not going to go away. Later the foot injury appeared, the tear of the plantar fascia. Certain measures needed to be taken.

Do you feel relieved with the departure of Howard? In a way his future compromised yours.
I don't think him staying would mean my immediate exit, but without a doubt it was possible.

After his exit a new era begins. Do you see a lot of changes in the Lakers?
They have begun. We want to put a good team, with 3 or 4 more players. Kaman has arrived to play inside and I think it's a good addition. But we need a lot more.

What is your status in the team. Do you feel supported by your teammates?
Its been two year since i've felt backed by Kobe. Two year ago in January or February he came to the forefront to say 'Enough with this situation, leave him alone. If you want to trade him then do so, and if not have faith in him. Its not right for a player be stuck in this type of situation' the following day Kupchak called me. He guaranteed me that I would stay. A year and a half later, I am still here.

Looks like Kobe did not react the same way with the exit of Howard. Has not shed a tear. You?
Neither have I. It was his decision. It was clear to him. There were three decisive things that have come to light after his decision, like the depth of the team and other things, but I would have not mind being in the meeting where Jim buss, Kobe, Nash and Mitch were to try to convince him to stay with the Lakers. Some weird statements were released by Kobe regarding that meeting......

Looked like more an invitation to leave rather than staying.
Yes, looks that way. But I am curios as to what was said. I believe that if a player wants to stay it does not depend on what he was told no matter who it was. The situation is what it is. At the moment I am still on the team. There are rumors that I might be traded for younger players with value, something that is common in the NBA.

What does look clear is, Kobe after finding out the decision of Howard he twitted an image where you appeared together. Is that a reflection of the upcoming season?
My gratitude towards Kobe. Our relationship has grown over the years. I appreciate his constant and continued support. He is a player that has achieved everything, the best Laker in history and for him to have that type of respect towards me means a lot. We'll see what we are capable this year. Ofcourse, our desire is to compete for all of it.

Will Kobe be able to compete after his injury?

I know he is doing everything possible and the impossible to start the season with us, and not just at an acceptable level, but at his best. I know how he works, how he perseveres, how he gives his all to reach his goals. In that he is unique.

After two modest seasons, especially the last one. Do you feel this season that this season you should step forward and vindicate yourself?
I would like to have a season where I return to be among the best of the league. And that would mean that my team would be better off. That's my goal from now on.

What do the Lakers need to return and fight of a ring like they did in 2010?
After Metta was amnestied, we need two tall wing players that can defend a Durant, Lebron or Carmelo. We need young players with quickness and explosiveness to run fastbreaks. It is one of our main weaknesses. The NBA has evolved towards smaller and faster teams, with shorter power forwards that are very versatile. I think we need that the most.
Last edited by Dezzie on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dezzie

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Good interview, interesting bit about Mitch guaranteeing him he would be here. If they're gonna trade him, fine, but I kind of agree it's not great to have a player have the threat of trade hanging over them for years. Yes, that is the NBA, that's business, but still that's a long time to wonder, it can affect your game, I'd want to know one way or the other. If they're shopping you or plan to trade you for sure they can at least let you know before it happens and you hear it in the media first.

Pau in general I think has become pretty candid in his interview like Kobe. He even mentions he hears the rumors he could be traded for younger players. Also pretty open about the Dwight situation and what came out about what Kobe said in there. Lastly, I think everyone would also agree with him that we need some quick wings for defense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:37 pm

I love this guy. I know we have been pulling for a trade away from him, but I still love Pau the person.

And I know that as things move along he'll always give us what he has, whatever that may be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:31 pm

i love how pau and kobe are bros. there was actually a pretty funny reddit post spoofing all the recent pictures of them together as save-the-date/wedding invitations: http://imgur.com/a/yVPhB :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Weezy the Mitch guarantee to Pau was back in the time period 2 seasons ago when Kobe told them to knock it off, he was referring to I believe from what he said above. Not this year. Who knows this year.
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Weezy the Mitch guarantee to Pau was back in the time period 2 seasons ago when Kobe told them to knock it off, he was referring to I believe from what he said above. Not this year. Who knows this year.

Oh ya I know, I got that point, I just meant it was cool of Mitch to guarantee Pau he was staying them so Pau could focus on playing. I'm sure Pau knows anything can happen this season, as he himself pointed out he's heard rumors of being traded for younger players yet again.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 pm

who woulda thought this guy would end up likely retiring a laker
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby kakafung on Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:11 am

pau coming back at center is still in doubt for the lakers which he did in the titles years .
kakafung

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 am

So glad Pau might get a chance to retire a Laker. He epitomizes the class that the Laker organization is all about. Easily my 3rd favorite Laker off all-time after Magic and Kobe.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 pm

PAU IS THAT YOU? :man6:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby 432J on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:

watching that really makes me sad. pau has declined so quickly in just a couple years

that dunk at :30. :man4:
432J

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 pm

hopefully he'll be healthy and have the paint all to himself. i dont think we'll see that pau but itll be better than with dwight. we need odom too
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:

ahhh. so good :man6: :man6:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion