Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Pau-er Outtage

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:16 am

Good to see i'm not the only one who thinks Pau is utter garbage this season. The guy is a liability out there. He hurts the team more than helps it. It's like he's sleep walking in most plays and gets pushed around all the time and is so slow to react to anything. He is so far removed from the Gasol of 08-09 it's not even funny.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby kblo247 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:30 am

Luke Walton on Pau’s D: “Even if he has to get into foul trouble to send a message, put someone on their butt when they come in the paint and let them know we are not going to have easy buckets in here all game.”

:man10:
kblo247

Postby karacha on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 am

kblo247 wrote:Luke Walton on Pau’s D: “Even if he has to get into foul trouble to send a message, put someone on their butt when they come in the paint and let them know we are not going to have easy buckets in here all game.”

What is Luke smoking these days? :man3:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 am

karacha wrote:
kblo247 wrote:Luke Walton on Pau’s D: “Even if he has to get into foul trouble to send a message, put someone on their butt when they come in the paint and let them know we are not going to have easy buckets in here all game.”

The problem isn't what Luke said... it's that he's 100% right except Pau can't do it. Pau is useless defensively in today's NBA. Just absolutely useless on that end.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby West's Formula 44 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am

karacha wrote:What is Luke smoking these days? :man3:

Whatever he can get from his Dad.
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby West's Formula 44 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:10 am

therealdeal wrote:The problem isn't what Luke said... it's that he's 100% right except Pau can't do it. Pau is useless defensively in today's NBA. Just absolutely useless on that end.

Do you think it's complacency?
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:11 am

I agree with Luke. Get out there Pau, knock a player on his butt, go into the stands and start knocking people out, get suspended for the rest of the year and make a damn statement for the team.

Do It Pau! :jam2:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:16 am

Doc Brown wrote:I agree with Luke. Get out there Pau, knock a player on his butt, go into the stands and start knocking people out, get suspended for the rest of the year and make a damn statement for the team.

We are talking about marshmallowy soft Gasoft here. He hates contact. Shuns its. Gets pushed around like a girl every game and you expect him to be some type of enforcer? :man10: He is what he is. A lover, not a fighter. He is so, so soft.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:17 am

West's Formula 44 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:The problem isn't what Luke said... it's that he's 100% right except Pau can't do it. Pau is useless defensively in today's NBA. Just absolutely useless on that end.

Do you think it's complacency?

I think it's indifference. Pau is done in the NBA psychologically. I don't know the man, but the way he has acted for the last few years points to a man who has lost the passion for the game.

Just watch the young guys play. They get up, they get emotional, they feed off of each other's intensity. When was the last time Pau did that? Even in the one game this season where he was using post moves and getting to the rim he didn't have intensity. He used skills he's spent his life perfecting, but he wasn't excited to do it. He was more excited to be doing something for charity.

The man is done in the NBA and the truth will come about sooner or later. Maybe he's not quite ready to accept it yet, but it's over. Where Nash physically can't deal with the strains of the NBA, Pau can't handle the mental and psychological toll the sport takes on a man.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 am

therealdeal wrote:
karacha wrote:

The problem isn't what Luke said... it's that he's 100% right except Pau can't do it. Pau is useless defensively in today's NBA. Just absolutely useless on that end.

Don't forget. Luke agreed with Kobe years ago when Kobe said I hate Phoenix in the 2010 WCF. Luke said I do too as did Lamar, they remember that bitter taste them two years :man10:

I sadly agree though, Marc would if he needed to make a statement, we've seen Marc and Zach do that tot the clippers and even the spurs, put guys on their [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] ... Paus not that guy though, but if you did, I'd cheer for him
kblo247

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:19 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I agree with Luke. Get out there Pau, knock a player on his butt, go into the stands and start knocking people out, get suspended for the rest of the year and make a damn statement for the team.

We are talking about marshmallowy soft Gasoft here. He hates contact. Shuns its. Gets pushed around like a girl every game and you expect him to be some type of enforcer? :man10: He is what he is. A lover, not a fighter. He is so, so soft.

Spoiler:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 am

kblo247 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
karacha wrote:

Don't forget. Luke agreed with Kobe years ago when Kobe said I hate Phoenix in the 2010 WCF. Luke said I do too as did Lamar, they remember that bitter taste them two years :man10:

I sadly agree though, Marc would if he needed to make a statement, we've seen Marc and Zach do that tot the clippers and even the spurs, put guys on their [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] ... Paus not that guy though, but if you did, I'd cheer for him

Sure that Phoenix rivalry has something to do with it. :man10:

But there's still an definite truth behind Luke's words: Pau needs to play like a 7 footer instead of a piece of furniture. When guys come to the rim, challenge them. No easy layups, no easy dunks. Instead there's a line to get to the buffet that is our rim.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 am

I know we should all remember the 06 first round when Tim Thomas tried a layup. Walton knocked him on his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] to send a message,so he's not asking him to do anything he wouldn't do
kblo247

Postby jhalp on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:34 am

Pau is really bad for my health. I just don't get it, don't the coaches (with team) watch the game tape the next day? Can't they see exactly what we are all seeing? The shying away from contact, jumping away from the driving lay up, not picking up any fouls, girlie man play. Why does it take a charity game for him to step up and grow some? Like most of you have said, he is useless out there. At this point, we need interior defense immediately...Jason Collins?
jhalp

Postby gcclaker on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:01 pm

Gasol doesn't or never had the mindset to "hit" opponents. At this point, he is just too immobile to do anything. Injuries slow to heal then leading to attrition. Gasol is still being a pro about his situation and managing what he can if he is dealing with more injuries none of us know about. He did allude to not making excuses about what is wrong with him albeit unspecified after the loss to Toronto.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:39 pm

therealdeal wrote:
karacha wrote:

I thought Luke was familiar with Mr. Gasol and his game. When was the time when Pau put people on their butts in the paint? :man3:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm

PAU GASOL — NOT JUST THE LAKERS — WILL HAVE CONTRACT OPTIONS
December 11, 2013 · 5:54PM

VIDEO: Pau Gasol scores 19 points and grabs seven rebounds in the Lakers’ recent win over the Kings
HANG TIME WEST – There are the assumptions and the speculation, that the Kobe Bryant extension increases the possibility Bryant favorite Pau Gasol will get an offer to remain a Laker and that obviously he will jump at the chance because Gasol as a free agent, hat in hand, will be a sad sight.

And then there is the reality: Gasol, he made clear to NBA.com, could be the one to decide to break up.
While he is definitely interested in staying and his affection for the organization is obvious, the 33-year-old power forward about 6 1/2 months away from free agency said his hopes to win another championship will weigh heavily on what he does in July and possibly greater than the opportunity to stay in a familiar setting or even money. Especially since there may be another familiar setting out there.

“There’s different factors you have to take into account,” Gasol said. “The financial factor. That I’ve been with this franchise, for what I’ve been through, the loyalty I have to them. And also the chances of winning a championship. Those three are the most. What percentage I will give or prioritize, we’ll see when the opportunities come along. But I would like to first be in a position to win a championship again and enjoy the last few years of my career and be in a good position to do so.”

If the projections come true and the Lakers are clearly not a contender, would that increase the chances of leaving?

“If there’s possibilities of being in a place that has those type of chances, it’s something I will think about,” he said. “But, again, I’m not in that position yet. I’m here. We’re just kind of guessing here. We’ll see. We’ll cross the bridge when I get there. No rush.”

The only thing Gasol can say with certainty is that he will not consider a return to Europe. Maybe some day, as a full-circle finish to a career that started in his native Spain, but not in the foresseable future.
The other return? Memphis has not been ruled out.

While the Grizzlies are a great financial unknown and team unknown, as well, with a pending Zach Randolph decision whether to pick up his $16.5-million option for next season or pass that up in hopes of his stated desire to get a longer deal to stay, it does have the obvious emotional appeal for Gasol: the presence of brother Marc Gasol. Plus, Memphis was Pau’s first NBA home, for 6 1/2 years before the trade to the Lakers. And, the future Grizzlies of Randolph (in the final season of the current deal or with a new contract), Marc Gasol, Mike Conley and Tony Allen is a positive starting point to a playoff team.

“It’s appealing,” Pau Gasol told NBA.com. “One of the best centers in the NBA, one of the best interior players, is my brother. There’s a lot of attractive factors there. But who knows if that’s even a possibility or if that will ever happen. Right now, I’m just trying to focus on (the Lakers’ opponents) and staying healthy and playing a very successful year so this team and others will have the certainty and the confidence that I am a difference maker, that I am an elite player and I have a lot of years in me.”

Gasol is shooting just 41.7 percent, on early pace for a clear career low and a fifth consecutive season of decline, but is also rebounding at a high rate (9.5 boards per game in just 30.3 minutes, an increase from 2012-13), has a personality that fits in any positive locker-room environment, is a talented passer, and has mountains of playoff experience. Teams will be interested, to where he can’t say whether the Lakers will get a home-town discount on the next contract.

“It depends on the circumstances and the scenarios,” Gasol said. “If I don’t have all the cards, if I only have one, two cards, I can’t really make a decision then. I’ll wait to see what happens. There might be the possibility of an extension that is attractive enough for everyone. That wouldn’t be out of the question. But it’s kind of appealing to be in a position of free choice at the end of the season.”

And people wonder why I am so hard on Pau all the time. Comments like this. How many times do we have to hear from his mouth that he is an elite player?

When are you going to back it up on the court Pau? Elite players don't shoot 40% and get lit up my role players every night for career highs.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby SK8 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:36 pm

I love Pau a lot, but this is becoming very sad, i would be ashamed to play like he is playing and then to make comment like that ^, he is hurting us a lot right now, i really hope this is his last year here, it's sad to see that more and more teams are using whoever offence on Pau, and it's absolutely working well, everybody is dropping career high on him, and STILL he think he is elite player and DIFFERENCE MAKER, whattt?? :freak2: :freak2:
Seriously i would play Kaman over Pau right now, even Sacre over Pau, that's how bad he is, i'm sure both Kaman and Sacre would do much better job protecting the paint and they would be fine on offence.
I don't care if Pau is skilled and have 1-2 nice pass for a big man, that doesn't mean absolutely anything if you can't do anything to stop your man and prevent other point guards to run around paint and laying up the ball like there is no defense.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:01 pm

Pau is still very good at ping pong.
GoldenChocobo

Postby Center Court on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:18 pm

Anything more than $4M is overpaying for this Pau. Soft, passive, slow, timid, off, cold, old, done...

I wish the purge was real... he'd be my target
Center Court

Postby abeer3 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:30 pm

he'll get tons of offers at the mle, so to keep him, the lakers will have to beat that, imo. the question is whether they want to, given their system and remainder of the roster. if they do keep him, any savings absolutely must be spent bringing in a couple starting caliber players who defend. preferably one at sf or pg and the other at pf. I suppose the latter could be retaining hill.
abeer3

Postby John3:16 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Center Court wrote:Anything more than $4M is overpaying for this Pau. Soft, passive, slow, timid, off, cold, old, done...

:man10: :man10:
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:28 am

"playing a very successful year so this team and others will have the certainty and the confidence that I am a difference maker, that I am an elite player and I have a lot of years in me.

I'm wondering 1. If Pau ever really watches tape of himself playing 2. What he thinks when he watches, honestly
LTLakerFan

Postby charvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Center Court wrote:Anything more than $4M is overpaying for this Pau. Soft, passive, slow, timid, off, cold, old, done...

Wrong target. Get after the GMs of the bottom-feeders and send over every 1st Rounder.
charvin

Re: Pau Discussion: Complains about MDA and the offense.

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:25 am

Lakers’ Gasol blames D’Antoni’s system for struggles — Lakers forward Pau Gasol, an unrestricted free agent this summer, told our own Scott Howard-Cooper that he is more or less open to leaving L.A. this offseason. Gasol even seemed to warm up to the idea of returning to where his NBA career started, Memphis, to play alongside his brother Marc. The reason for Gasol’s desire to get out of L.A. can probably be directly traced to what he had to say after yesterday’s practice to Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times. Essentially, the long-standing lack of chemistry between Gasol and coach Mike D’Antoni — a topic that is apparently not broached between the two men — seems to be what’s pushing Gasol out of L.A.:
In one corner of the Lakers’ practice gym stood Pau Gasol, his constant smile pulled tight.

“The fact that I’m not getting the ball in the post affects directly my aggressiveness,” he said. “When I’m not getting the ball where I want to, where I’m most effective, where I can bang guys and utilize my skill, that affects my aggressiveness and overall intensity.”

Source: nba.com

I don't even know where to start. Go, read the whole article, it's on the front page.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion