Pau Discussion: Pau-dini escapes another trade deadline!

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
33%
No
56%
Maybe (explain)
10%

Total votes : 114

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby KB24 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:13 pm

KeepBynum...

Just remember, we are not coming off a three-peat dude. Stop acting like this team is fine. We are coming off b2b slaughter in the 2nd round and while Thunder are on the way up, we are on the way down. FACT.

Improved doesn't mean good enough especially when the core will have yet another year under their belt + a short summer. You are kind of irking me with your "everything is awesome" attitude.

take off your pink glasses and be rational.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 pm

KB24 wrote:KeepBynum...

Just remember, we are not coming off a three-peat dude. Stop acting like this team is fine. We are coming off b2b slaughter in the 2nd round and while Thunder are on the way up, we are on the way down. FACT.

Improved doesn't mean good enough especially when the core will have yet another year under their belt + a short summer. You are kind of irking me with your "everything is awesome" attitude.

First of all we weren't slaughtered. We had two of those games against Oklahoma City in the bag and we just choked away. This offseason so far we've improved immensly. We added a superstar PG in Steve Nash, a terrific sixth man in Antawn Jamison, and re-signed Jordan Hill who was terrific for us in limited minutes. I also doubt we're done yet. I see us adding another solid piece or two to the bench and if we do that we're the best team in the West imo. The Lakers already are a MUCH better team than they were just a month ago. I also don't see what's wrong with my attitude. I'm a HUGE Lakers fan and I'm thrilled to see that the front office has improved the roster dramatically.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Azndude2190 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:57 pm

He's going to be the flag bearer for Spain for the London Olympics.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby John3:16 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:01 pm

KeepBynum wrote:First of all we weren't slaughtered.

1 win
8 losses
John3:16

Postby jamabile on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Man, at this point, I would take an 70-75% 2010 version of Pau in the playoffs...
jamabile

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:04 pm

John3:16 wrote:

1 win
8 losses

I don't believe I said that we didn't lose. We lost, but to say we got slaughtered is ridiculous. We had a legit shot at winning half of those games and simply choked.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby John3:16 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

KeepBynum wrote:

1 win
8 losses

I don't believe I said that we didn't lose. We lost, but to say we got slaughtered is ridiculous. We had a legit shot at winning half of those games and simply choked.

I don't care if you win by 1 or 100. An L is an L. We weren't in either series and the final tally proves that. We have to improve a lot to beat them.
Dom wrote:Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 pm

KeepBynum wrote:

1 win
8 losses

I don't care if you win by 1 or 100. An L is an L. We weren't in either series and the final tally proves that. We have to improve a lot to beat them.
Dom wrote:Ask any racer. Any real racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

Well that's simply not true. We had a legit chance at winning both series.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby John3:16 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:19 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Well that's simply not true. We had a legit chance at winning both series.

Yup. A missed layup.... a missed call here and there..... only 7 games away from winning both series. :freak2:

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:29 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Well that's simply not true. We had a legit chance at winning both series.

Yup. A missed layup.... a missed call here and there..... only 7 games away from winning both series. :freak2:

Actually a missed three point shot by Kobe in game 1 against Dallas. We win that game and it's a completely different series. A couple of games later we had a 7 point lead in the final quarter, but our horrid bench gave it away. This year against Oklahoma City in two games we had a 13 point lead in game 4 with about 7 minutes remaining and a 7 point lead in game 2 with two minutes left. Kobe struggled mightily at the end in both games and we lost.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JUST-MING on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:44 pm

KeepBynum wrote:Actually a missed three point shot by Kobe in game 1 against Dallas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-dkKrYtFs0#t=3m20s

Kobe actually hit the “would-be” game-winning shot. It’s just that, right after that, Pau fouled Dirk at midcourt on the inbounds play, which gave away Game 1 to Dallas.
JUST-MING

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:57 pm

I watched both Dallas and OKC series, the outcome were 0-4 and 1-4... I don't care if it was only by 1-2 points... What I saw was the Lakers can neither score nor defend, especially during the final minutes...

Struggling in the 1st round against mediocre teams like NO and Denver, then ending up in a complete meltdown in the 2nd round is not fine...

It's only fine if you are the Clippers...
Last edited by Congo Cash on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:20 pm

^^^Agreed. I don't look at is as two straight second round exits. I look at it as a team that could/should have been bounced in the 1st round two years in a row.

Right deal comes along for Pau, yea I'm taking it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Aonex on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
kray28 wrote:
The Original 81 wrote:
Brian Mahoney ‏@briancmahoney
Kobe, answering a question from a Spanish reporter about Pau's status with the Lakers: "As long as I'm there, he's going to be there."

:jam2: :jam2:

Damn! From at each others throats at the end of the season to a virtual love fest now...... :man10: :

Pau Gasol
‏@paugasol

Thanks Kobe! It's a pleasure to play with you game after game. Go Lakers!!

https://twitter.com/paugasol/status/226741087467884545

/Thread... oh wait, this isn't the Pau Gasol trade discussion thread.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby dmaul on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Dude, Aonex, who's that girl in your avatar? She's fine.
dmaul

Postby Aonex on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:30 pm

French tennis player named Alize Lim.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:37 am

I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby lakersStan24 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 am

If We Land Dwight then We should ship Pau out for some good starters and/or bench players.
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby nthydro on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:08 am

KB24 wrote:KeepBynum...

Yup you have to take into account that OKC players are very young so chances are they will improve their individual games and their team chemistry this year. And like KB24 mentioned, our core aside from Bynum, will likely decline further.
nthydro

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:40 pm

a maybe Spain vs USA will get Pau's fire started again. Plus I'm sure he's excited about Nash so maybe he'll get his mind off being traded and on not letting Kobe down again after he's stuck up for him countless times.
Ariza3

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm

kobe telling pau hes gonna get traded

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Pau Gasol's response to Kobe telling him that he's been traded.....

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Vindicated on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Pau Gasol's response to Kobe telling him that he's been traded.....

:man10:
“Look, we don’t get five championships by being sympathetic towards each other and kissing each other’s a– during the game,” Bryant said Wednesday when asked about the Lakers’ upcoming game against the Thunder next week. “I’m going to demolish him. He understands that. If he switches off on me in the post, there’s going to be problems. I’m sure he’ll put an elbow right in my back, and that’s why we love each other.”
Vindicated

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:34 am

Spain's Gasol Feels Like 'a Beast' at Games

LONDON (Reuters) - Pau Gasol said on Thursday he felt like a "beast" after working hard to prepare for his pivotal role in Spain's bid for Olympic hardware in basketball.

"I have been preparing myself and working to get better this summer," Gasol, a two-time National Basketball Association (NBA) champion with the Los Angeles Lakers, told reporters at a news conference.

"First for the Olympics and to perform at a high level to be able to achieve our goal, and then when the Olympics are over, take a little break and continue to prepare myself for what's going to be a very demanding (NBA) season, a season where we (the Lakers) want to get back on top as a team."

NBA team mate Kobe Bryant took notice after Gasol led Spain with 19 points in an exhibition game defeat to the United States in Barcelona on Tuesday.

Bryant said the 7-foot (2.13m), 32-year-old Gasol looked stronger, absorbing contact and pushing back in an impressive display that boded well for future Lakers' success.

"I'm a beast," Gasol told Reuters. "Yeah, I feel pretty good. I feel strong."

Spain, runners-up to the U.S. team at the Beijing Games, play their first game of the Olympic tournament on Sunday against China.

"We remember our game in the last Olympics," said Spain coach Sergio Scariolo. "Spain struggled a lot but caught an overtime win in the very last seconds so we're absolutely conscious that it's going to be a very tough game."

Gasol said the opening of the Olympics tournament was always potentially tricky.

"It's the first game of the championship and we want to start well," he said. "It's not always the easiest game to play because everybody is so excited to start off well."

Gasol, who will have the honor of carrying the flag for Spain at Friday's opening ceremony, said Spain expected him to be a leader on the court.

"My role is definitely different here," he said. "I'm the guy that everybody counts on and everything kind of revolves around my play and I take a lot of pride in leading this team in different ways.

"It's not about just scoring. I've been a part of this team for 11 years now. My role is definitely different than what it is with the Lakers."

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/07/26/sports/basketball/26reuters-oly-bask-esp-gasol-men-adv1.html?_r=3&partner=rss&emc=rss

:man10: I couldn't help but laugh a little when Pau said in the article that he was a beast

Pau, I really do hope you did improve this off-season and you are better than ever but you definitely were no beast in the last 2 playoffs, that's for sure!
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 am

A sheep is also considered as beast, so yeah Pau you're a beast
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion