Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Pau-er surge!

Postby khmrP on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:59 am

dude shouldn't bother complaining about contracts...he hasn't earned his for the last 3years.
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 am

wallangong wrote:With each passing game, my desire to trade Pau grows. He just doesn't fit in with this team. Everyone else hustles and makes an effort in all aspects of the game. If Pau isn't efficient on offense, he hurts more than he helps. Trade Pau for whatever, insert Kaman as the starting Center, thus making sure we have a nice, versatile rotation of players who care.

I used to defend Pau but I'm just over the guy. Thanks for helping with those 2 titles but those days are gone.

This is pretty much it. I think we all like Pau the person, but Pau the basketball player lost his fire a long time ago. What we are looking at now is a guy just cashing paychecks, playing basketball because he's used to it and it makes him money. He doesn't love this game the way our other players do. He doesn't want to win as much as even Jodie Meeks on the roster.

When Sacre outplays you, it's time to go.

I'm getting the feeling the Lakers are shopping honestly and they have a deal in mind. That's why Kaman isn't playing and why they cut Harris. Something is cooking... I hope.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 am

Still, I would resign him for 5-8 million a year, for one year, if we can't get a trade.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 am

therealdeal wrote:
wallangong wrote:With each passing game, my desire to trade Pau grows. He just doesn't fit in with this team. Everyone else hustles and makes an effort in all aspects of the game. If Pau isn't efficient on offense, he hurts more than he helps. Trade Pau for whatever, insert Kaman as the starting Center, thus making sure we have a nice, versatile rotation of players who care.

I used to defend Pau but I'm just over the guy. Thanks for helping with those 2 titles but those days are gone.

This is pretty much it. I think we all like Pau the person, but Pau the basketball player lost his fire a long time ago. What we are looking at now is a guy just cashing paychecks, playing basketball because he's used to it and it makes him money. He doesn't love this game the way our other players do. He doesn't want to win as much as even Jodie Meeks on the roster.

When Sacre outplays you, it's time to go.

I'm getting the feeling the Lakers are shopping honestly and they have a deal in mind. That's why Kaman isn't playing and why they cut Harris. Something is cooking... I hope.

Maybe we'll see Melo a little earlier than we thought... :man1:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby kblo247 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 am

Really Pau makes me appreciate Shaq more. As little [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] as Shaq could give during a season, he had enough pride to not ever be dominated and let the likes of Madsen or Samaki make him look bad, and that's just what Williams and Sacre did
kblo247

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:19 am

Azndude2190 wrote:Still, I would resign him for 5-8 million a year, for one year, if we can't get a trade.

Why so he can get guaranteed 25-30 minutes a game no matter how he is playing? No thanks.

He has the "name", it's either starting and getting minutes or there will be problems. We need to move on, he needs to move on.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:40 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Maybe we'll see Melo a little earlier than we thought... :man1:

I don't know. Maybe. :man10:

I think that only happens if Melo demands the trade... even then I don't see it. What does New York gain from that move? We'd have to give them something they'd actually want. Pau doesn't help them at all. And what's the worst that happens? Melo walks in the summer and they get nothing? I'd rather go through that then trade him for nothing...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 pm

therealdeal wrote:

I think that only happens if Melo demands the trade... even then I don't see it. What does New York gain from that move? We'd have to give them something they'd actually want. Pau doesn't help them at all. And what's the worst that happens? Melo walks in the summer and they get nothing? I'd rather go through that then trade him for nothing...

A third team would definitely be involved, so that New York gets something in return with Melo already stating he's going to test free agency.

I wonder if Minny still wants Pau? They could send out Martin/Brewer to NY, which would fill the SF gap left from Melo.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:Still, I would resign him for 5-8 million a year, for one year, if we can't get a trade.

Why so he can get guaranteed 25-30 minutes a game no matter how he is playing? No thanks.

He has the "name", it's either starting and getting minutes or there will be problems. We need to move on, he needs to move on.

So who's gonna trade for him? Or who are we going to replace him with via free agency? I don't see too many great alternatives.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 pm

^ I would rather resign Hill than Pau for that $5-7M range.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

So who's gonna trade for him? Or who are we going to replace him with via free agency? I don't see too many great alternatives.

Player X - Plays no defense, doesn't fight for rebounds, settles for jumpshots, shoots a very poor percentage, is 33 years old and on the decline........

Would you want to sign him?

Player Y - Plays defense, fights for rebounds, will get into the post, shoots a better percentage than player X, is 26 years old and his career is on the rise.......

Would you want to let him walk to sign player X?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:45 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

A third team would definitely be involved, so that New York gets something in return with Melo already stating he's going to test free agency.

I wonder if Minny still wants Pau? They could send out Martin/Brewer to NY, which would fill the SF gap left from Melo.

I think that ship has sailed. They want to try to convince Love to stay and they just shelled out big bucks for Pekovic. I doubt they're very interested.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Player X - Plays no defense, doesn't fight for rebounds, settles for jumpshots, shoots a very poor percentage, is 33 years old and on the decline........

Would you want to sign him?

Player Y - Plays defense, fights for rebounds, will get into the post, shoots a better percentage than player X, is 26 years old and his career is on the rise.......

Would you want to let him walk to sign player X?

The situation isn't as clear cut as you presented. Pau sucks, but Hill still has his issues with health and consistency. And all of that is besides the point: Regardless of who you decide to resign, if you don't come up with another big on the roster it's what for 2014? Pau or Hill and then Sacre as backup? Williams is probably gone.

Pau can still give you close to double-doubles on most nights and we can afford to resign both him and Hill considering how we aren't winning anything anytime soon.Plus there isn't anyone in the 2014 FA class to write home about outside of Melo, who is a long shot himself.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Pau's double doubles are offset by his terrible FG% and ineffective defensive as a center.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:38 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:
The situation isn't as clear cut as you presented. Pau sucks, but Hill still has his issues with health and consistency. And all of that is besides the point: Regardless of who you decide to resign, if you don't come up with another big on the roster it's what for 2014? Pau or Hill and then Sacre as backup? Williams is probably gone.

Hill has issues with health? Really, would you mind telling me his other injuries he sustained in his career besides the 1 year he was injured, which is basically the story with a lot of athletes. He's lacking consistency because he's never played this much before, not because he's inconsistent as player.

Same argument was made for MWP, we can't get rid of him because we aren't going to get anyone better. Well we are doing just fine right now without him.

The situation is as clear as I presented it. What is the point of signing a guy that continually kills us defensively and on the boards? He doesn't help up win ball games. All season long the bench has won us games, Pau has been one of the main reasons we are down to start of every game. We can find somebody to fill in for him. The situation isn't Pau or bust as you presented.

Pau can still give you close to double-doubles on most nights and we can afford to resign both him and Hill considering how we aren't winning anything anytime soon.Plus there isn't anyone in the 2014 FA class to write home about outside of Melo, who is a long shot himself.

Here is where the problem is. Do you watch the game or do you look at the stats? So what if he gives double doubles. It's going to be on a terrible % and if you haven't noticed he doesn't get rebounds that don't fall directly into his lap. He'll give you 15/10 and cost your team more than that with how bad his defense and rim protection is.

You think Pau is going to sign a 1 year deal? So what if there is no one in the 2014, why pump money into Pau on a multi-year deal and screw yourself over for the 2015 FA class that actually have players that are UFA that we can get, for a guy that is on the decline.

This team needs new blood, not some content aging player that is fine collecting checks.

Chris Kaman
Jordan Hill
Marcin Gortat
Spencer Hawes
Jason Smith
Ed Davis
Patrick Patterson
Dante Cunningham
Boris Diaw
Trevor Booker

There are no "names" in that group, but if we are going to be handing out money, I'd rather it be these guys then having to pay a name that lacks the game.
Doc Brown

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm

monroe and will bynum for pau. do it. lol
Johnnyboy

Postby Azndude2190 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Never said I think Pau would sign for 1 year, just that If I was the GM I would offer him the one year, at or little above the MLE, if no good trade was available.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby kblo247 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:43 pm

We got Hill while he was injured Doc. He had a knee injury. He's had a different kind of injury very year he's been in the league mostly. He's a glass man literally because he cleans up the boards and figuratively because he gets hurt every year which is why he's just a 15min guy on his career
kblo247

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 pm

kblo247 wrote:We got Hill while he was injured Doc. He had a knee injury. He's had a different kind of injury very year he's been in the league mostly. He's a glass man literally because he cleans up the boards and figuratively because he gets hurt every year which is why he's just a 15min guy on his career

He had an MCL sprain.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=jordan+hill&Team=&BeginDate=&EndDate=&InjuriesChkBx=yes&submit=Search

If getting a knee/ankle sprain is labeled as injury prone, the whole league is a bunch of glass men then.

Looking at his games played per season and seeing a low number doesn't mean he was injured, DNP-CD makes up some of that as well.
Doc Brown

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:43 pm

I've said the same thing. "Glass player" gets thrown around here WAAAY too much. With us he fell from pretty high and landed smack on his hip. Yeah no one ever gets hurt from falling hard on the court either. All you heard was Hill "injury prone".

That said, he does scare me the way he plays, with a lot of reaching way behind himself in the air for rebounds. Wouldn't take a lot for another hard fall if knocked off balance.

Edit: Speaking of falls I just this minute saw the one Redick took that broke his wrist. Ouch!! Andrew Bogut says hello too. :man4: OUCH!! From when he was hurt a season or 2 ago.
LTLakerFan

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

I agree with this. I love Pau too, one of my favorite players, but it's time to move on. There's no way I want to see Pau collecting 5-8 million from us next season, while continuing to show inconsistent/weak effort, bad defense, and lazy offense. I would rather pay a lesser skilled, younger player who plays with heart.

There's just no room for Pau considering the effort some of the younger guys are showing. He just doesn't deserve a contract over a guy like Wes Johnson, Henry, Farmar, Blake, Meeks, Hill, and Young. Those guys are showing effort and Laker pride on nightly basis. Most importantly, these guys are playing to earn their contract, rather than Pau who's dogging because he's butt hurt over Bryant's extension. You want a contract Pau? You better leave it all on the court, because you haven't been with us since 1996, like Bryant.
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:monroe and will bynum for pau. do it. lol

Joe Dumars is an idiot, but he's not that big of an idiot. If we did land Will Bynum can he wear #17 so I can wear my Andrew Bynum jersey again?
Frank Dux
Clublakers Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:11 am

It's being not talked about but if Bynum stays healthy in Cleveland, Melo for max and. Bynum for Hill/Pau money in their place may be looked at. We even have the doctors to keep the glass knees functioning
kblo247

Postby revgen on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:47 am

So an Andrew Bynum/Melo/Kobe roster with Mike D'Antoni as the coach? I'm not sure how that works exactly. Basically, you have 3 postup players with a coach who says he doesn't like postups.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:31 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:

Hill has issues with health? Really, would you mind telling me his other injuries he sustained in his career besides the 1 year he was injured, which is basically the story with a lot of athletes. He's lacking consistency because he's never played this much before, not because he's inconsistent as player.

Same argument was made for MWP, we can't get rid of him because we aren't going to get anyone better. Well we are doing just fine right now without him.

The situation is as clear as I presented it. What is the point of signing a guy that continually kills us defensively and on the boards? He doesn't help up win ball games. All season long the bench has won us games, Pau has been one of the main reasons we are down to start of every game. We can find somebody to fill in for him. The situation isn't Pau or bust as you presented.

Here is where the problem is. Do you watch the game or do you look at the stats? So what if he gives double doubles. It's going to be on a terrible % and if you haven't noticed he doesn't get rebounds that don't fall directly into his lap. He'll give you 15/10 and cost your team more than that with how bad his defense and rim protection is.

You think Pau is going to sign a 1 year deal? So what if there is no one in the 2014, why pump money into Pau on a multi-year deal and screw yourself over for the 2015 FA class that actually have players that are UFA that we can get, for a guy that is on the decline.

This team needs new blood, not some content aging player that is fine collecting checks.

Chris Kaman
Jordan Hill
Marcin Gortat
Spencer Hawes
Jason Smith
Ed Davis
Patrick Patterson
Dante Cunningham
Boris Diaw
Trevor Booker

There are no "names" in that group, but if we are going to be handing out money, I'd rather it be these guys then having to pay a name that lacks the game.

Preach it Doc. All I can say is Ditto
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion