Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol appreciation post!!!

Postby karacha on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:08 pm

And then people are wondering if he can "be tougher" or "play more D."

Basically asking him to be better then prime Duncan. This is not realistic, he already plays at an incredible level. This year he actually became a superstar, IMO. Will be selected for the all-NBA team. Not the first team obviously, but he'll get there eventually.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby leakbrewergator on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 pm

He's carrying my fantasy team....

Miami ThreeTARDS- Duh Wayne 'Fraid, Piss Posh, LeBrat Shames
leakbrewergator

Postby Weezy on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:11 pm

We really are spoiled to have a PF this good and I definitely think he's under appreciated by some here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:13 pm

Pau saves the day yet again...and yes, it sucks how some Laker fans take him for granted...or only care to point to his weaknesses.
kray28

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Awesome game from Pau, he carried us tonight.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 pm

He must have good memories,

last year debut against Nets in NJ, 24/12
this year this great game.

Now, i want less minutes from him, more to Powell and some to Mbenga.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby KGB on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:42 pm

Pau sucks.
I used to post with the username 8got81_24gets101
KGB

Postby gill on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:09 pm

KGB wrote:Pau sucks.

I know... he's too soft. :mhihi:
gill

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:27 pm

The guy is incredibly skilled. Best robbery in the NBA since the Kobe/Divac deal.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby therealdeal on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:58 pm

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:The guy is incredibly skilled. Best robbery in the NBA since the Kobe/Divac deal.

Imagine if they had gotten this guy sooner? Hell by even a season... He's already going to go down as one of the most talented big men the Lakers have had, he could have really climbed ranks if he'd been here sooner.

1. Kareem
2. Wilt
3. Shaq
4. Mikan
5. Pau?

I'm tired so don't bash me if I forgot someone or two. And It's in no particular order really.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KSeal on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:11 am

therealdeal wrote:
Imagine if they had gotten this guy sooner?

I was thinking that today, If only Pau was playing for Miami and we got Pau and Lamar for Shaq. We would have been title contenders for the last five years even with some of those scrubs that were on our team at times, and that actually would have been a fair trade. Oh well we were in the finals last year and this year we have 58 wins with 10 to go, all is well.
Cash Considerations FTW!
KSeal

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:12 am

Weezy wrote:We really are spoiled to have a PF this good and I definitely think he's under appreciated by some here.

so true. so true.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby therealdeal on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:12 am

KSeal wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Imagine if they had gotten this guy sooner?

I was thinking that today, If only Pau was playing for Miami and we got Pau and Lamar for Shaq. We would have been title contenders for the last five years even with some of those scrubs that were on our team at times, and that actually would have been a fair trade. Oh well we were in the finals last year and this year we have 58 wins with 10 to go, all is well.

True, but retrospect can be so fun sometimes. Especially as you get older. :man9:

"What if I'd banged that chick when I had the chance?" type of thing.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am

weird article, not sure if he tries to say positives about Pau, or negatives about Kobe, lol

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700034852

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- On Friday, the swamps of Jersey couldn't absorb the deluge of Lakers nation into Izod Center.

You entered the lobby and Lakers fans were everywhere, with at least five Lakers jerseys for everyone one Nets uni. They wore Lakers gold No. 24, Lakers gold No. 8, Lakers white No. 24, Lakers purple, gold Gasol jerseys, old-school Lakers jerseys without the notched collar, old-school Lakers warmups, Lakers t-shirts and even ... shhhh! ... the occasional Shaq jersey.

Then there were the hats. Black hats, gold hats, Kangols, a Sikh's turban and even a Dodgers hat sprinkled here and there.

Not much of this is surprising. Lakers fans are everywhere. With 55 playoff appearances in 61 seasons and more than half of those postseason trips -- 29 -- have reached the NBA Finals. They're America's basketball team, and those who loved them were out in full force.

So it was no shock late in the third quarter when the MVP chants started rolling down from the upper reaches of the Izod Center like a summer storm across the Plains.

"M-V-P! M-V-P!"

They stood. They cheered. They partied and woofed like it was 1989 and they were at a taping of "The Arsenio Hall Show."

And then, they realized who was at the free throw line. It wasn't the man they had come to see. Instead of a 6-foot-6 future Hall-of-Famer with supernatural skills, it was the Lakers' 7-foot Spaniard with facial hair as scruffy as a desert floor.

If it had been a Hollywood movie, the needle would have scratched across the record. As it was, an embarrassed hush followed as the Lakers' faithful allowed Pau Gasol to sink his second free throw in the relative library-like silence.

It was a shame, really, that the Lakers fans stayed quiet. They should have kept it up. Kobe Byrant is the Lakers' MVP, but on Friday the P in MVP stood for Pau.

Now, to give the Lakers' fans credit, Bryant -- on a sprained ankle -- had just drained three 3-pointers in a row and made the nice pass that led to Gasol getting fouled. But it was Pau's night.

Gasol finished with 36 points, 11 rebounds and seven assists to lift L.A. to a 103-95 win over the Nets here on Friday. The win clinched the best record in the West. Any sense of excitement about that? "No, not really," said a blasé Bryant. "It's a good accomplishment, but we have a lot of work ahead."

The win also made them a perfect 4-0 on this seven-game road trip. Earlier this season, the Lakers swept a six-game road trip. If they run the table on this seven-game swing, the Lakers will have done something no other NBA team ever has. If this game against the more-than-game Nets proved, the Lakers will need both Kobe and Pau to accomplish that or any goal this season.

"I thought I was having a pretty good game before he got hurt," Gasol said of Bryant's late-late second quarter ankle sprain. "He was being aggressive. He wasn't 100 percent, but he continued to play, continued to compete."

Being aggressive has never been an issue for Bryant, who launched 19 shots, but only connected on five of them. But basketball belligerence has never been Pau's style. Despite the 11 boards, Phil Jackson noted it could have been more.

"I liked everything Pau did except rebound," Jackson said. "In the first half, he did not rebound the way I wanted him to rebound. It's one of the things we keep harping on him if we're going to be a team that competes and what we expect to do. We need to rebound the basketball."

Considering the Lakers lead the league in rebounds per game with 44.2. It seemed like nitpicking. But because he's Phil Jackson, he can quibble. He's won nine titles and he has seen the NBA game played as close to perfection as it could be played. Pau, knowing his being a pest in the post is necessary for the Lakers to succeed, agreed.

"I left a couple rebounds go, especially in that second quarter," Pau said. "There were two or three rebounds that I wasn't persistent enough to go get them and control them.

"But I stayed strong in the second half, was able to get a couple nice rebounds and a couple nice blocks and that was it."

Gasol makes it sound as simple as he made it look on Friday. Then again, that's what an MVP does ... even if the fans don't recognize.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:08 am

Gasoft.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby Dual on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:15 am

¬¬
Dual

Postby Kush327 on Sat May 09, 2009 1:53 am

Thought this deserved a bump. This guy has done so much for us. Coming in mid-season last year and instantly making us a Finals team. I think some of the people here take him for granted with the stupid "Gasoft" comments. Some forget where we were before he got here. Yes, we were an improving team before he even got here, but he made us an instant contender. We were lucky as hell to get one of the best big men in the league for virtually nothing.
Kush327

Postby therealdeal on Sat May 09, 2009 8:49 am

He worked hard last night, you can't ask for much more than that. He basically just out lasted Yao out there in the fourth. Both of them looked like boxers in the last round. Good game from Pau.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Sat May 09, 2009 9:15 am

Mr. Consistent.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat May 09, 2009 9:46 am

Weezy wrote:We really are spoiled to have a PF this good and I definitely think he's under appreciated by some here.

You think? :man10: Seriously, I wholeheartedly agree. Having lived through Brian Cook and Kwame Brown...I am thankful Gasol's in the fray. Bynum's further development will make Gasol even more effective. They just haven't had the time to sync up in the court. I still think they can because both men are team first players. Gasol is unselfish almost Odomesque. If or when it does happen, this duo will be devastating. Oh...they both have a nice security blanket when needed. Some cat from Lower Merion High I believe.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby TheOp on Sat May 23, 2009 9:29 pm

Pau was huge tonight in the 4th quarter.
TheOp

Postby KB24 on Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 pm

ya he made some tough shots...

one of the reasons people get mad at him is we know he CAN but sometimes just doesn't have the grit or the balls to demand the ball and do it...tonight he was huge. We were lucky to have a quick comeback in the 4th...otherwise we wouldn't be able to put our foot on their neck.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat May 23, 2009 9:33 pm

huge back to back shots pau. just work on your defense now...and your free throws but that goes for the whole team
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby OriginalKobe8 on Sat May 23, 2009 9:37 pm

He really needs to be more aggressive when he's facing up on the Denver bigs and go to the hole. He's hesitating for some reason and does his little pivot dance before making a move. He made some TOUGH shots at the end of the game tonight though.
OriginalKobe8

Postby Legendary on Sat May 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Like someone said in the gameday thread, Pau was killin' them softly.

Huge shots down the stretch.
Legendary

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion