Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby juninho on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:55 am

i think we should wait for a trade unless someone makes a good offer. We and Wizards are only desperate teams so i can't see any other team who can trade for gasol and gives us a good value. Wait for Nash and wait for 2nd week of January.

I think we can trade gasol to raptors for bargs and calderon. then maybe with calderon and hill we make the trade 3 way and get some depth.
juninho

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am

Lakerjones wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:the only thing more depressing than Pau's play are these Amare rumors...wake up, Spaniard

^^ Agreed. Do NOT want.

at least make it a rumor that we can be excited about...Lamarcus Aldridge or something...Amare's name just adds to the misery
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

Doc Brown wrote:
SublimeAnarky wrote:@TommyDeeTKB, check his tl. He hears 'rumblings' of a Gasol trade.. Anyone know this dude?

I'd post it here, but I don't know how.

Tommy Dee ‏@TommyDeeTKB
Hearing rumblings that a Pau Gasol trade is in the works... not sure if the #knicks are in these discussions.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:48 am

getting Amare would depress me as well :man6:
khmrP

Postby kobezaballa on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:59 am

Pau is playing with no energy and effort so weak. Amare can be retarded but at least u know he will be aggressive not soft and will take it hard to the rim. He's just one season removed from dropping all star numbers and his pick and roll game far beats gasols. Maybe with a fresh start and Howard and Kobe and Nash here he can dominate as he has something to prove still. Pau is a soft bi0tch and I've given up with that camel. Give me amare and camby and brewer for pau and Duhon. Take it anyday I'm sure amare can get us the amazing 8 and 5 pau so often gets us anyway.
kobezaballa

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:09 pm

Id take a Pau/Blake for Anderson/Vasquez/Aminu package lolol
thisbjgz

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow...I'm against Amare cause his contract is worse AND he there's a reason he isn't playing right now. At the very least, I would like a healthy body to join this Nash-less team of vets and a 26 year old coming off back surgery....this is getting to LOL standards. Amare is soooo far from being the answer, but then again, I said the same thing about D'Antoni when Phil was available and look what happened. So I guess this Amare thing has legs then... :man10:

The Anderson thing is so far off left field, that again, who knows, it just may be a possibility. But we're expecting a N'awlins team to take on Pau, when last year in the CP3 deal, they did everything they could to reroute him to Houston. Remember that Stern was allowing only deals that new ownership would like to take on...so if they wanted Pau, NO would have gotten him last year. This year, Pau's value is even lower and why oh why would NO ownership change their stance on Pau now?

Both Amare and Anderson don't make sense, but neither did D'Antoni...so if anything, the Lakers and their recent decision making has given this thing legs <--lets offer these rumors contracts, cause they would be perfect for this offense. :man12:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 pm

So what's Amare's contract situation like? Too lazy to look it up. I'll wait for an answer here. :man9:
borri

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Smooth and Korver would be a dream.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby borri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:38 pm

The New York Knicks will have to start the season without all-star power forward Amar'e Stoudemire after he was discovered to have a ruptured popliteal cyst in his knee, according to reports.

Stoudemire will not need surgery on the injured knee and will miss two to three weeks.

The injury was initially detected as soreness in Stoudemire's knee and an MRI revealed a ruptured popliteal cyst, which can be healed through rest rather than surgery.

a second opinion that Stoudemire sought out after he ruptured a popiteal cyst behind his knee. That was supposed to keep him out for around a week, but the updated injury status has him missing as much as six to eight weeks while he tries to heal.
Last edited by borri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borri

Postby kenzo on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:40 pm

You can't be serious about Amare :freak2:
kenzo

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:40 pm

^^^3 years (including this one) with 65M remaining.... :man10:

If it don't make cents, then LA "runs" with it...cause they all about the dollar!...yep, both making (TWC contract) and taking on stacks on stacks on stacks.

Okay, I've lost it this season...and its taken 15 games. How does a summer where we get Nash and Dwight turn into this? Only in LaLaland!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^3 years (including this one) with 65M remaining.... :man10:

If it don't make cents, then LA "runs" with it...cause they all about the dollar!...yep, both making (TWC contract) and taking on stacks on stacks on stacks.

Okay, I've lost it this season...and its taken 15 games. How does a summer where we get Nash and Dwight turn into this? Only in LaLaland!

Ouch. Well minus 2 years of Pau at what...40.....it ain't THAT bad. The last year of Amare is an expiring so he'll become really tradeable.

His injury doesn't seem at all serious. No surgery was needed, it was a ruptured cyst not a ligament tear.
borri

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Vasashi17 wrote: How does a summer where we get Nash and Dwight turn into this? Only in LaLaland!

like the basketball gods are mad at us or something
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm

Borri: Yeah, its not THAT bad, if everything goes right. But if it doesn't, it may get worse. He knows D'Antoni and Nash, but he's gotta get back into shape to play that tempo again. That will certainly take time and with Nash out and needing to get back into game shape himself, just how much of the regular season will be needed to make us a good enough seed in the standings for HCA? We're at below .500 with roughly a fifth of the season done. We'll be burning our vets just to get a good seed and hopefully homecourt and then risk a possible flameout in the postseason. Also, Amare's health can't be ignored: in 10 seasons, he's only played 75 games or more for 5 of them. He was out roughly 20 games in last year's lockout shortened season and has already missed 15 and counting this season.

When Pau's major regression is attributed to playing heavy minutes leading to tendinitis in both knees, health should be one of the key factors in bringing in a replacement. Amare is a red flag just waiting to be raised. I got my reservations, but then again we got 'Antoni Bourdain running the show now..so who knows.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:07 pm

borri wrote:
The New York Knicks will have to start the season without all-star power forward Amar'e Stoudemire after he was discovered to have a ruptured popliteal cyst in his knee, according to reports.

Stoudemire will not need surgery on the injured knee and will miss two to three weeks.

The injury was initially detected as soreness in Stoudemire's knee and an MRI revealed a ruptured popliteal cyst, which can be healed through rest rather than surgery.

a second opinion that Stoudemire sought out after he ruptured a popiteal cyst behind his knee. That was supposed to keep him out for around a week, but the updated injury status has him missing as much as six to eight weeks while he tries to heal.

its never a good idea to trade for a player with injuries that take longer to heal then initially thought, we have already gone down that road with Bynum and now Phi is paying the price.
khmrP

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Fran Blinebury: He’s been an All-Star in the past. He’s still got All-Star level talent. After everybody is finished using him as their punching bag again, I’m telling my new head coach to make him a part of the offense. Or wait for assistant head coach Steve Nash to return and let him do it.

Jeff Caplan: Trade him? You nuts? Pau isn’t going anywhere because the Lakers will never get anyone in return who can come close to matching his size and skill. Give this time. He’s working through knee tendinitis and a third coach this season and a new offense. Let Steve Nash come back to orchestrate things and Pau will be getting more of those post opportunities he’s craving. Now stop it with this silly trade talk.

Sekou Smith: It sounds good in theory, using Pau Gasol as a trade chip and getting assets that fit Mike D’Antoni‘s system better than say, one of the most skilled big men in the world? Gasol isn’t the problem here. Any system that can’t figure out what to do with him seems like a much bigger problem to me. The Lakers won back-to-back titles playing a style that accentuated the things Gasol does better than most. But since then he has become the Lakers’ pinata, courtesy of two humbling playoff efforts. The fact is, Gasol is 32 and has maybe lost a half step, but he’s still capable of playing an integral role on a championship contender. He’s struggling to score this season in the way he and we all are used to seeing him score, but he’s rebounding and blocking shots at his regular clip. If the Lakers move him, it’ll strictly be for scapegoating purposes.
Ariza3

Postby Punk-101 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Grizzlies: One of the best bigs in the game, but labeled as "soft" and a playoff choker, never winning a game.
2008: Immediately turns this team into a contender, but gets punked and roughed up by Boston in the finals.
2009-2010: Redemption! Beastin'
2010-2011: Inconsistent, but with some monster games. Totally disappears in the playoffs. It's excused because he went to 3 straight finals and was rumored to be having "personal issues".
2011-2012: Got rest in the summer for the first time in a while. Had to cover for injured Bynum to start the season. Traded for CP3, but not really. Handled it like a classy pro. Had to deal with trade rumors all year. Same inconsistencies as the year progressed, but a few monster games. Totally disappears in the playoffs against lesser PFs and Cs again. This time the excuse is that he was being misused by Mike Brown.
Summer 2012: Totally DOMINATES for Spanish Olympic team. Just amazing!
2012-2013 season so far: Playing the worst basketball of his career. Still misused by Brown, Bernie, and now MDA? Tendonitits in his knees due to Brown practicing the team too much?

For every criticism there is a plausible explanation. Doesn't mean they are true or accurate. Maybe they are legit and all he needs is time and Steve Nash. Personally, I've been done since the NOH series two years ago.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Tired of these excuses and analysts taking out of their backsides about Pau from 4 years ago. That Pau seems to be gone, his size, his skill, blah blah blah it doesn't mean anything if he doesn't produce on the court. And the system is the problem now? So the Triangle in 2011 wasn't good for him, the offense last season wasn't good for him, the Princeton wasn't good for him, and now 'Antoni's system is the problem, riiiight.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Weezy wrote:Tired of these excuses and analysts taking out of their backsides about Pau from 4 years ago. That Pau seems to be gone, his size, his skill, blah blah blah it doesn't mean anything if he doesn't produce on the court. And the system is the problem now? So the Triangle in 2011 wasn't good for him, the offense last season wasn't good for him, the Princeton wasn't good for him, and now 'Antoni's system is the problem, riiiight.

This. I truly am shocked at how people seemed to be brainwashed, or hypnotized about pau's skill level currently. There's no denying the he is an AVERAGE POWER FORWARD. I don't know what else people need to see before they realize this. lol he's averaging a measly 13.1 ppg and 9.1 rebounds per game on 12.1 shots and 42% from the field. lol i'm sorry, did I say average? Must have over estimated him. People keep saying, "he's a better rebounder than X" or "he's more skilled than X". The fact is, all of that is crap. People believing he's still a top 5 pf, or even a top 10 pf, are truly out of their minds...
King of Clutch

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:58 pm

I'd love to see Pau be able to pull off the LO role.. Go out there & battle for rebounds & get assists, keep the offense flowing. When Nash returns, Pau's shot attempts should take the hit. Stop calling plays for him & let him score 12-15 PPG only taking the easiest looks.
lakersin4

Postby borri on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Weezy wrote:Tired of these excuses and analysts taking out of their backsides about Pau from 4 years ago. That Pau seems to be gone, his size, his skill, blah blah blah it doesn't mean anything if he doesn't produce on the court. And the system is the problem now? So the Triangle in 2011 wasn't good for him, the offense last season wasn't good for him, the Princeton wasn't good for him, and now 'Antoni's system is the problem, riiiight.

Shows me these "experts" don't watch too many Laker games. This has been going on since PJ had to slap Pau in the chest 2 years ago.
borri

Postby trodgers on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:12 pm

Serious question. Is there a recipe for success, for getting the most out of this Gasol? Because, ladies and gents, this is the Gasol we have.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Are any of these guys interesting AND available?
Patrick Patterson
Chuck Hayes
Dante Cunningham
Jason Smith

They're all shooting well from 10-15 and 16-23 feet as PFs.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Big Mamma Jamma on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

King of Clutch wrote:

This. I truly am shocked at how people seemed to be brainwashed, or hypnotized about pau's skill level currently. There's no denying the he is an AVERAGE POWER FORWARD. I don't know what else people need to see before they realize this. lol he's averaging a measly 13.1 ppg and 9.1 rebounds per game on 12.1 shots and 42% from the field. lol i'm sorry, did I say average? Must have over estimated him. People keep saying, "he's a better rebounder than X" or "he's more skilled than X". The fact is, all of that is crap. People believing he's still a top 5 pf, or even a top 10 pf, are truly out of their minds...

I am not brainwashed ... I call it as I see it. Pau at this point in his career is not a PF. It's funny that you call him a PF. He is a center. He should be coming off the bench backing up Dwight. He would thrive in a role like that. Imagine him with Blake in the second unit. He is an excellent passer and if surrounded by shooters would do serious damage around the basket because there aren't many centers that can shut him down one on one. He is very skilled and can finish with either hand. Plus, he is a good free throw shooter. Playing PF, especially one expected to knock down long jumpers, does not cater to his strengths.

The problem with most posters is that they expect him to do well in a role that is not suited to him. Moreover, his athleticism has declined and people expect a 32 year old center averaging 37 minutes a game to play like a 22 year old.
"Better learn not to talk to me. You shake the tree, a leopard's gonna fall out." - Kobe Bryant

One of the funniest posts I've read in a sports forum:

"Lebron's talents went South, his hair went North, and his mom went West."
Big Mamma Jamma

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion