Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion (p.270: Out 2 Games w/Concussion)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:09 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I know. I thought about that. But Ron or Clark just are not fast enough to guard most PGs and SGs, especially if we have the lead and he other team goes small to score. Plus, Ron has tried to do too much offensively in final possessions of games this year after we do get a stop. Morris is the best we have for small guard defense (Kobe and Clark still struggle quite a bit getting over or under screens). Sure, Ron and Kobe could switch all the screens, but that isnt always ideal. This is why I have been pushing for West. He is simply better offensively and defensively than Morris, and miles ahead of Blake or Duhon or Meeks.

Anyway, that is a minor point. I don't love Smith. But I would love to have him this year over Gasol and ensure that Dwight stays.

What other piece would come with Smith, THAT is a key question (even if a hypothetical one).

I don't know about that... Clark guarded Monta Ellis really well and he's one of the quickest guys in the league. I think he could totally handle that responsibility. I actually think Ron is great at the end of games. He's hit a ton of clutch shots for us and he's made a ton of defensive stops at the end of games as well. He's unafraid of the moment, and just like Kobe sometimes that's bad, but at least he's not afraid.

I've advocated for West too, but I don't think he's coming at this point. :man10: We've had forever to get him and we just don't seem to want him.

I doubt anyone would come with Smith... Unless there's a contract somewhere in Atlanta that they don't want. We're asking for the moon just asking for Smith in general. Asking for mroe, even hypothetically, is getting greedy. :man1:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:13 am

therealdeal wrote:I doubt anyone would come with Smith... Unless there's a contract somewhere in Atlanta that they don't want. We're asking for the moon just asking for Smith in general. Asking for mroe, even hypothetically, is getting greedy. :man1:

but you'd have to get extra from Atl., Pau and Smith salary are not within the 150% range since we're over the cap.
khmrP

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:14 am

therealdeal wrote:We're asking for the moon just asking for Smith in general. Asking for mroe, even hypothetically, is getting greedy. :man1:

I disagree. From a player / talent standpoint, you're right. But owners are looking at contracts (dollar amount and years). We can get more then just Smith for Gasol and his expiring $20 million. Only problem is, it's next year.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:16 am

^^ The other piece (to match salaries) wouldn't come from ATL. It would come from whatever 3rd team was involved. Would have to be -- cause ATL is not taking Gasol. And ATL is still holding out hope of getting CP3 or Howard this summer. So it would take Smith demanding a trade (reducing Atl's chances of getting Howard) and a third team that wants Gasol -- Minny, Toronto, ???? That's about it.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 am

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I doubt anyone would come with Smith... Unless there's a contract somewhere in Atlanta that they don't want. We're asking for the moon just asking for Smith in general. Asking for mroe, even hypothetically, is getting greedy. :man1:

but you'd have to get extra from Atl., Pau and Smith salary are not within the 150% range since we're over the cap.

I'm assuming there's a 3rd team involved, namely Minnesota. Last I'd heard Atlanta wasn't interested in Gasol anymore.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:23 am

John3:16 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:We're asking for the moon just asking for Smith in general. Asking for mroe, even hypothetically, is getting greedy. :man1:

I disagree. From a player / talent standpoint, you're right. But owners are looking at contracts (dollar amount and years). We can get more then just Smith for Gasol and his expiring $20 million. Only problem is, it's next year.

And that's the point... I'd really just rather move on now. We've shown we're just fine without him, in fact probably better. I think the idea of him right now is worth far more than the player himself. If we're really, truly all in right now, we need to be all in right now across the board. That means if we've got dead weight cut it now, even if it means getting 90 cents on the dollar compared to 120 cents on the dollar.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:^^ The other piece (to match salaries) wouldn't come from ATL. It would come from whatever 3rd team was involved. Would have to be -- cause ATL is not taking Gasol. And ATL is still holding out hope of getting CP3 or Howard this summer. So it would take Smith demanding a trade (reducing Atl's chances of getting Howard) and a third team that wants Gasol -- Minny, Toronto, ???? That's about it.

Yeah there's not much reason for Atlanta to trade him. I know he was recently suspended by the team because of an outburst in the locker room, so he's clearly not exactly happy there. If they did trade him, they'd be giving up on the Howard/Paul idea basically.

I think it'd take two steps: 1. Howard says he's staying publically and 2. Smith demands a trade.

Then the dream is over for Dallas and for Atlanta.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:32 am

therealdeal wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:^^ The other piece (to match salaries) wouldn't come from ATL. It would come from whatever 3rd team was involved. Would have to be -- cause ATL is not taking Gasol. And ATL is still holding out hope of getting CP3 or Howard this summer. So it would take Smith demanding a trade (reducing Atl's chances of getting Howard) and a third team that wants Gasol -- Minny, Toronto, ???? That's about it.

Yeah there's not much reason for Atlanta to trade him. I know he was recently suspended by the team because of an outburst in the locker room, so he's clearly not exactly happy there. If they did trade him, they'd be giving up on the Howard/Paul idea basically.

I think it'd take two steps: 1. Howard says he's staying publically and 2. Smith demands a trade.

Then the dream is over for Dallas and for Atlanta.

from the rumored reports, Smith agent pretty much makes it known he wants out w/o actually saying it directly :man1:
khmrP

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 am

True, but he's got to say it :man10:

And isn't that odd? He's having a decent year and the Hawks are 6th in the East... Why does he want out now?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA
Gasol joked on minutes: "It will depend on if I'm doing great, they'll keep me out there. If I miss two shots, I'll be back with the guys."
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Hey a**hat maybe it's the fact that you don't play defense, don't give 100% when you are the court and have your center looking at you like a damn fool every time you shrug and miss a rotation.

Clark can miss two shots and not go to the bench.......why?

Hill can miss two shots and not go to the bench......why?

D12 can miss two shots and not go to the bench......why?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby laker911 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Gasol is openly defying the Lakers with comments like this. So sick of him.
laker911

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Pau seems to be a terrific guy and a model teammate, but this year seems to show a passive-aggressive cancerous nature. Maybe Pau of all people was the chemisty problem...?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Punk-101 wrote:Pau seems to be a terrific guy and a model teammate, but this year seems to show a passive-aggressive cancerous nature. Maybe Pau of all people was the chemisty problem...?

I said it around the beginning of the season that Pau was becoming a cancer to the team. He's made a few comments this season and teammates have made a few comments indirectly about him this season that makes you think that what Pau wants and what the team wants are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

At a time when the team is trying to lock in defensively and build on that, Pau should want to jump in and add to that, but his comments are about minutes, about shots. It's BS like that, that makes it easy to say thanks for everything Pau, but you know what you just don't get it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:54 pm

stop pouting like a little girl pau and just play the damn game right.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:02 pm

Pau's mentally checked out...he doesnt deserve to start
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:Close games with this defensive lineup

Morris
Kobe
Clark/Ron
Smith
Dwight

^ You could just take out Morris and have Kobe/Clark/Artest/Smith/Howard. That defensive lineup is nasty :man10:

But offense might be kind of tough to come by.

The spacing with that lineup is awful, they would need to defend like the 08 Celtics for it to be successful. Otherwise teams are just going to pack the paint and force Morris and Smith to take long jumpers. Would never work for more than a couple of possessions.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm

I was under the impression it was a defensive lineup so... that's fine.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Gasol joked on minutes: "It will depend on if I'm doing great, they'll keep me out there. If I miss two shots, I'll be back with the guys."

Hey a**hat maybe it's the fact that you don't play defense, don't give 100% when you are the court and have your center looking at you like a damn fool every time you shrug and miss a rotation.

Wow @ that comment from Gasol.. Seriously.. Trade this guy for a box of honeynut cheerios.. It would only help us against the Knicks, but that's more teams than Pau will help us against.
lakersin4

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 pm

jesus christ get pau out of LA

he's the reason why there's no chemistry and on top of it, he's making comments like that when he's been playing like complete sh*t all season long
432J

Postby Wrath12X on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Wow @ that comment from Gasol.. Seriously.. Trade this guy for a box of honeynut cheerios.. It would only help us against the Knicks, but that's more teams than Pau will help us against.

:man10: :man10:
Wrath12X

Postby Center Court on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:32 pm

the one thing that we could always defend Pau for was being professional and a true team player.

Now every time he opens that foreign mouth of his, it's some whiny "I get mistreated" statement.

If you can't playing off the bench for your first game back or more so becoming a 6th man, then get out of here Pau. Get Smith or a package of depth and let's take the west by storm come playoffs.
Center Court

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Pau has just been trolling the entire season. It seems like any time someone puts a mic to his face he uses it as an opportunity to take a cheap shot. Never seen him pull crap like this before
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:35 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:Close games with this defensive lineup

Morris
Kobe
Clark/Ron
Smith
Dwight

^ You could just take out Morris and have Kobe/Clark/Artest/Smith/Howard. That defensive lineup is nasty :man10:

But offense might be kind of tough to come by.

The spacing with that lineup is awful, they would need to defend like the 08 Celtics for it to be successful. Otherwise teams are just going to pack the paint and force Morris and Smith to take long jumpers. Would never work for more than a couple of possessions.

sorry. I should clarify. I meant for 2 to 6 possessions to get stop when we have a lead. We could sub Nash in on time outs but then risk transition buckets if there is a miss. But I proposed that for a game where stops, pick and roll D, protecting the paint, length on shooters, and rebounds are key for the last 2 or 3 minutes of a game.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

I can't believe Pau said that, jokingly or not. Terrible attitude to have, very selfish sounding, this isn't about minutes and shots right now, this is about giving 100% effort out there at all times and getting wins as a team. If that's seriously Pau's mentality he needs to go NOW.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby scissors on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 pm

It seems now that he is in that mode where he don't care anymore about what people think about him. He truly is done wearing the Purple and Gold.
scissors

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion