Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Stop your Pau-ting & keep Pau-sting up!

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:32 pm

Now, we have no excuse to keep Pau. Unfortunately, I still think he stays until the end of the year...
lukewaltonsdad

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:34 pm

If it's this obvious to all of us that Pau should be dumped now, it's even more obvious to other GM's. We'll probably be getting even worse offers than we were before.
LakersN4

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:41 pm

LakersN4 wrote:If it's this obvious to all of us that Pau should be dumped now, it's even more obvious to other GM's. We'll probably be getting even worse offers than we were before.

Why would the offers change? If they offered something before it's because Pau is an expiring contract or a talented 7 footer. That hasn't changed.

Our dilemma really hasn't either. We could definitely keep him, keep doing poorly, and then let him go this summer. That was the plan as it was anyway.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:41 pm

We can't get horrible offers really. His contract is so expensive, we are forced to get something decent for him in the process. :man10:

The time to get younger is now. This season. Kobe should be the only old guy staying in LA.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:44 pm

therealdeal wrote:
LakersN4 wrote:If it's this obvious to all of us that Pau should be dumped now, it's even more obvious to other GM's. We'll probably be getting even worse offers than we were before.

Why would the offers change? If they offered something before it's because Pau is an expiring contract or a talented 7 footer. That hasn't changed.

Our dilemma really hasn't either. We could definitely keep him, keep doing poorly, and then let him go this summer. That was the plan as it was anyway.

I'm guessing we were looking for offers that would give us a better chance to compete right now in exchange for taking on long term salary before.. We should be looking for the best package of young players we can get now.. & possibly even taking a package from anyone that will take Nash on too.. So the offers should change no matter what, even if it isn't because GM's are trying to lowball because of the Kobe injury.
LakersN4

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:46 pm

I don't believe there is nothing out there for Pau; we already know his best days of playing basketball are behind him, so that leaves only two reason somebody takes him from us while giving us quality in return; we take on bad contracts or we attach a draft pick with him. That's it. Similar to the dumping Fisher's salary, we attached a pick, same with Luke Walton when he was traded for Sessions. Outside of that, he's not being moved.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby therealdeal on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:51 pm

LakersN4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

I'm guessing we were looking for offers that would give us a better chance to compete right now in exchange for taking on long term salary before.. We should be looking for the best package of young players we can get now.. & possibly even taking a package from anyone that will take Nash on too.. So the offers should change no matter what, even if it isn't because GM's are trying to lowball because of the Kobe injury.

Well it's one thing to suggest we'll look for something else, although I doubt it. But there's no reason opposing GMs would lowball in my opinion. Why should they and why should we even entertain those offers? It's not like Pau has demanded a trade. We've shown every inclination that we're willing to let Pau expire and go to open market. That won't change and so we're not losing any leverage.

I also doubt we're changing WHAT we're trading for. Regardless of Kobe's expressed desire to play in June, the Lakers are looking for their next franchise player. They won't take back major salary without getting that guy and that's a GOOD thing. We don't need to be the Sacramento Kings paying guys like Rudy Gay when our team isn't set yet. Pau isn't going anywhere for a cheap package even if we fans want him to.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 pm

As an armchair fan, I would think this makes Gasol's exodus more likely.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:02 pm

How many PGs will MDA's offense claim?

#HastaLaVistaPau :wave:
#ChuckthePost
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:How many PGs will MDA's offense claim?

#HastaLaVistaPau :wave:
#ChuckthePost

Next up: After seeing Young, Johnson, and Henry run wild in MDA's offense sans Kobe, Paul George forces a trade to the Lakers! :man9:
Helljumper

Postby karacha on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Ha, that would be awesome! :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:32 pm

^^^Nice :man10:

But you forgot one thing...he gets traded to LA and then gets injured :man12:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^Nice :man10:

But you forgot one thing...he gets traded to LA and then gets injured :man12:

Only if he has to play the 1.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:19 pm

get Tor on the phone, we'll take Lowlry/Derozen now please :man10:
khmrP

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:26 am

Pau's going to step up and play in Allstar form and get this team into the playoffs. Kobe will be back and peaking health wise in the first round and hit his stride going into the 2nd round.

:boxing1:
BadCoaching

Postby Kasumi on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:55 am

Saw this on Facebook:
The Los Angeles Lakers have decided -- at least for now – that they're better off keeping four-time All-Star center Pau Gasol, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources told ESPN.com Wednesday that the Lakers, after weighing the idea of making Gasol available before the trade deadline in February, are encouraged by the way he's played in the past three games, as well as his efforts to make amends for his recent public spat with coach Mike D'Antoni.

The Lakers entered the 2013-14 campaign fully intending to keep Gasol for the whole season and then to explore the feasibility of re-signing him in the summer. But ESPN.com reported last week the Spaniard's recent public complaints about how he's been used in D'Antoni's system, as well as some subpar play, prompted L.A. to begin assessing its trade options. However, the way Gasol quickly made amends with conciliatory comments about D'Antoni during the team's recently completed 2-2 road trip has eased concerns. Gasol had 21 points and nine rebounds in the Lakers' 96-92 win in Memphis on Tuesday night, after totaling 16 points and 10 rebounds Monday night in a loss to Atlanta. In the two games, Gasol made 16 of 21 shots to raise his overall shooting percentage to .439.

"I just think people go through periods of slumps where you question things," D'Antoni said of Gasol after Tuesday's win. "Like I said, we were out of whack. Different things go on. But Pau's an All-Star, he's one of the best players in the league, he worked through it and he's back to normal."

Sources told ESPN.com this week that the Lakers, before Gasol's resurgent play, engaged in exploratory talks with several teams but never got too far with any of the calls.

Among the teams they spoke with were the Rockets, sources say, but those conversations never got serious, even with Houston determined to trade disgruntled center Omer Asik before a self-imposed Thursday deadline.

Sources say the Lakers do have certified interest in Knicks center Tyson Chandler, but New York appears to have no interest in fielding offers for Chandler at this time, having just welcomed the former NBA Defensive Player of the Year back to the lineup after a fractured fibula sidelined Chandler for the past 20 games.

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reported Saturday that the Lakers, facing a slew of injuries in the backcourt, made an inquiry about the Knicks' Iman Shumpert, but sources say those talks were likewise merely exploratory.

The Lakers are still assessing their long-term plans and whether there's a way to keep Gasol beyond this season, with the 33-year-old headed for unrestricted free agency in July. Sources say that team officials have communicated to Gasol in various ways that they remain interested in keeping him in L.A. beyond this season.
ImageImage

You can now find me over at www.LakersBall.com
Kasumi
ClubSpurs.com Administrator

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 am

^ That was before the Kobe injury announcement. Now it's a fire sale. :man9:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:44 pm

CRAZY, STUPID THOUGHT (which is the most important part to remember when reading this).

Let's say the Lakers decide to tank now since Kobe will be gone so long, I saw they ride the roster like this for a couple more weeks and see how it goes, because by the time Kobe gets back, it's more or less do or die to get into the playoffs.

So they decide to tank by the time Kobe is half way done healing, or whatever. Why not trade Pau for Deng and picks? Isn't Deng an expiring contract this summer too? Now maybe those picks wouldn't be good if we gave the Bulls Pau, but at least then we still save money for this summer and if we can't get anyone, we draft, re-sign Deng and maybe say "No hard feelings" to Pau and go from there.
The Laker Link

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Nice game today Pau, very nice. Almost a triple-double, and some impressive clutch plays.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 pm

This was the 10 million Pau..... He plays like this and I'd sign him myself.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:38 pm

I loved his passing early on, we should be able to run plays through him with Kobe out and tonight we did. He's looking good for a nice little stretch here, gotta give credit this time.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 am

Solid game , showed up down the stretch .. stop throwing these tough passes in a crowd though ( same for others Lakers , just make the safe passes without PGs available)
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:53 am

Agree with everyone here tonight. Other than the turnovers, very nice game from Pau. I loved the interaction with Swaggy P, too, when he knocked down the three. Seeing those two guys laugh was really heartening given all the brutal injuries and the news about Kobe's knee. It was really cool to see some good chemistry out there and some fun. Lifted my spirits quite a bit tonight. :bow:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:57 am

I can live with this Pau if he plays like this from here on out. 2 back to back nice games.

The players need to understand though they can't ISO Pau and leave him on an island. Pau works best when there are cutters for him to pass to. Don't stand around and watch.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah, Pau and Swag have really good chemistry together. Nice to see Pau laughing and chest bumping again. Is this the return of the Spanish Inquisitor?

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion