Pau Discussion: Pau-dini escapes another trade deadline!

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
33%
No
56%
Maybe (explain)
10%

Total votes : 112

Re: Pau Discussion: Triple-Double...Doubled (346)

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:20 pm

The way I see it, keeping Pau is not low risk high reward. With Kobe out for who knows how long, and no real assets to upgrade the team this offseason, if you keep Pau and he ends up sucking again or goes down with an injury, it's automatically an entire wasted season. His trade value will be shot for good and we'd have either a crappy 20 mil player playing for us, or an injured and useless 20 mil player on our bench. I think the more likely option given Pau's last 2 seasons plus the 2011 playoffs is average to bad play or injury rather than an amazing vintage Pau season, but that's just me. Yes, he expires no matter what next offseason, but with that thinking IMO we're going into next season already conceding it's a lost season and we aren't winning anything. I'm just not used to that as a Lakers fan, I expect to see the team make moves toward a championship every offseason if possible. Plus even with money there is no guarantee we sign the free agent we want in 2014, we could swing and miss like the Rockets this offseason or all those teams that prepared for LeBron by throwing away multiple seasons and then didn't get him. I like that Bucks trade a lot, or a trade similar to it, in that it takes steps now with what we have to try and fix holes we have.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Weez, you can use the injury excuse with anyone. Dwight has been prone too, if he goes down that's conceding a season as well. I'm not saying we're going to have a vintage Pau...in fact for the people saying that - this Pau is completely different than 2010 Pau. The only similarity is the rebounding, really.

He's scoring a different way (not under the basket) and facilitating way more now days.

Comparing us to the Rockets for a free agent destination isn't the same. Name the last big free agent the rockets nabbed. All their talent has come via draft or trade. The opposite can be said about the Lakers. Other than Shaq, we hardly ever sign top free agents...we get guys via trade and draft (or some combo of both).

I can't guarantee we'll get the guy we want in 2014, but I'd rather take our chances marketing LA, Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant and our reputation than take a sorry deal from another team. Obviously, if we get a good offer without long term money, we take it.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm

I can't disagree with your main point, or slimjim's, it's sound for the future, just saying as a Lakers fan it's hard to take. It's hard to go into a season being told wait til next offseason, be patient and concede another season while watching LeBron probably win his 2nd and 3rd rings. It's hard to complain though, because having just gotten Dwight, Nash, and Jamison this offseason it can easily come off as spoiled to expect another fantastic offseason (at least on paper) after that, every offseason.

I don't agree that Dwight is injury prone though, before his back injury last season and shoulder injury this season he had played all 82 games 5 out of 8 seasons, 78 and 79 games the other 2, and then the 54 games last season before he got injured. This season he played 76 games despite coming off back surgery, started from game one of the regular season, and only missed those 7 games even while playing back into shape and through the labrum tear. If there is one thing I cannot complain about when it comes to Dwight, it is that the guy does not miss many games. Pau throughout his career hasn't missed a lot of games and hasn't been injury prone either, he's just aging and seems to be on the decline/body breaking down side of his career so that's why I say I expect more injuries from him going forward, just wear and tear.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby slimjim on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:11 pm

It's hard to say how Pau is going to be next season. I could just as easily say pau will be 100% healthy next season. (like I said earlier, outside of this season, he's only missed 34 games with the lake show.)

and it's not like pau's injuries are nagging chronic knee or back problems that will never go away.

Gasol had two issues: plantar fascis strain(which eventually tore later in the year) and knee tendinitis.

The plantar fascis tear was crucial for Pau's recovery. Dr. Klapper explained it as a blessing in disguise for two reasons.

1)The healing process from a plantar fascis tear lengthened his plantar fascia (which in essence, relieved the pressure on his foot)

2) Getting rest because of his plantar fascis tear also allowed his knee to rest up which is the only realistic treatment with knee tendinitis.

It's all in the video below.

I think gasol is close to 100% (He sure is playing like it) and I don't see any reason for any of the above injuries to factor into next season.

I believe a healthy kobe/pau/howard can win a ring. but maybe that's just me.

I hate how laker fans have had their confidence SHOT right out of them because of injuries. Ask anyone last summer if we were contenders? Everyone would say yes.

Will we need luck on our side in preventing the injury bug? Yes, just like any other team.

The talent is still there.

And if I'm wrong? OK we lose one season but have a TON of capspace to rebuild right away.
slimjim

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:17 pm

I just don't believe that Kobe, Pau, and Dwight is enough to win a ring yet, not unless the rest of the team is deep, full of shooters, and athletic players that can defend and make up for old, slow Kobe, Nash and Pau ( I also don't trust Pau to keep this up yet after being so inconsistent the past 2 seasons and 2011 playoffs, I need to see more in the playoffs at least). Young teams and deep teams give us hell right now, we are seemingly unable to beat the Clippers, Nuggets, Thunder, and Heat for those reasons. I see the NBA as having passed this core by, at least with the bench and role players we have now. As for Pau's injuries, you're right, they could be over with, but foot issues and knee tendinitis seem like things that will nag an older player for good, not go away as he gets older.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby slimjim on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Knee tendinitis is not a chronic knee condition. It's simply over-usage.

If Pau takes it easy in the summer and continue's to rest his knee, I like his chances.

I just hope he's done with playing for Spain every summer. :/

Also keep in mind, Howard wasn't 100% this season either.
slimjim

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm

That's what I'm saying, he's been overused for YEARS now, he needs a summer off. If he wants to play for Spain that's his choice and I'll never say he shouldn't do it because clearly it's an honor for him that he takes seriously, but if he doesn't have to for one offseason it could do wonders for him coming into next season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Murdock on Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
Murdock wrote:
Weezy wrote:You can't replace Pau with someone halfway decent who can score in the post by trading him or a signing? We're not talking about trading Pau for a draft pick or cash here, players would be coming back. And I'm not calling Pau injury prone, he's just aging and he's played so much basketball non-stop for years. That leads to a body breaking down, that means more nagging injuries as he ages most likely. That's all I'm saying, I wouldn't count on him being healthy from here on out, just like I wouldn't with Nash at 40, and even Kobe at 35/36 in his 18th season coming back from the Achilles injury.

Who then? Young players with that talent are in different salary range .. and you won't get two great talents for pau alone ... you can get decent players but then you undervalue him

Trading Pau will bring back 20.5 million in salary.... you're saying we can't find depth, speed and youth with that?

Pau's age and milage is catching up with him.... he's not going to be the 2009 Pau ever again.

One more thing... if we allow he and Kobe to expire at the same time we will go below the cap..... and that is not a good thing because we can't go above it again through FA signings so to make that 20.5 million result in players that will be useful in the near future we have to "cash in" that chip or we will be a lottery team....Dwight or not.... because we will have nearly no one under contract, Dwight on the books for 20+Million, Nash for 9M (I think) and if we resign Kobe after next year he will not be making less than Howard IMHO so that's another 20M.... that leaves 9 to 10 Million and a MLE to fill out a roster with 11 players....

not depth on a level we need no
Murdock

Postby BuzzerBeater on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:24 pm

How bout this pic?

is it Politically correct enough? :man4:

Go Pau ! :jam2:
Attachments
spaniardmamba.jpg
BuzzerBeater

Postby Weezy on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 pm

BuzzerBeater wrote:How bout this pic?

is it Politically correct enough? :man4:

Go Pau ! :jam2:

Your previous pictures had nothing to do with being politically correct, swearing is simply against the rules here. Nobody is trying to tell you that you can't be opinionated here, you just can't swear, that simple. You can post almost any pic you want here unless it contains swearing, racism, nudity or sex, and probably graphic depictions of death and gore (though it's not officially written in the rules and might be allowed in some cases if it's having to do with the topic and has spoiler tags and a warning the poster so that they can decide for themselves if they want to click the image or not), we try to keep it work safe and family friendly around here for the most part.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm not against moving Pau for that package.. Ideally we'd move Ellis to a 3rd team & get a more traditional PG & SG but that's a couple good solid young players for Pau.. I'd prefer a deal with Minne for AK, Dwill2, Barea if that's possible. AK & Barea are great fits if MDA is truly our coach going foward, & Dwill2 is good trade bait/could potentially find a role here with Howard going foward. I think this deal does more for us than Monta. Mitch has been very patient with Pau deals, only pulling the trigger when it landed him CP3. I think it's going to an offer better than we've seen thus far, & Pau's value should be at an all time high this offseason so who knows. Maybe Mitch lands a John Wall or another young star on that level. Stranger things have happened.
lakersin4

Postby LOL on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:11 pm

i love pau, love his game, smartest passing big man in the league by far, has good chemistry with dwight and kobe. but the problem lies with his 19mil. he just isnt a 19mil player. either he takes pay cut, or he has to go if he wants the same salary.
LOL

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I love Inigo Montoya :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby BuzzerBeater on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Pau defense is a joke !

The game was over when D12 was benched (down by 4) for Pau on the 3rd quarter (we ended that quarter down by 13).

Whats up with him on Playoffs?

Btw What were the teammates playing at? Too many mistakes.
BuzzerBeater

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:58 pm

the wuss is back
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:00 pm

Last 3 games 17/50...thats 34%

vs SAS 3 for 17
vs HOU 7 for 17
vs SAS today 7 for 16

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Shot pretty bad, yet again looked inconsistent effort-wise. Games like these are why I still have no problem trading him in the offseason. I don't trust that because he has a stretch of good games he's turned the corner again for good, Pau is Pau. I still trade him for help this offseason, we clearly need guys that can shoot and are more athletic, the freakin Spurs made us look old and slow while playing in slow-motion themselves.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Weezy wrote:Shot pretty bad, yet again looked inconsistent effort-wise. Games like these are why I still have no problem trading him in the offseason. I don't trust that because he has a stretch of good games he's turned the corner again for good, Pau is Pau. I still trade him for help this offseason, we clearly need guys that can shoot and are more athletic, the freakin Spurs made us look old and slow while playing in slow-motion themselves.

I thought he missed a lot of the swagger he played with the last two weeks. I don't know how that happens going INTO the playoffs...

But I thought this game pretty much pointed out why we need to get younger, more athletic, and we need to move Gasol. Good to great games are needed from Pau nightly for us to be successful, and I just don't see him doing that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Mitch has a lot work to do this offseason.
borri

Postby GoldenKnight on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:06 pm

HE'S BACK!!!!! PRUUUUUUUUuuuuuu :disagree:

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby BuzzerBeater on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:12 pm

You all are rigth...

But what about 3 points shoots? 3/15 its a 20%

Is Pau responsible of that?

We have to MOVE more players than Pau.

I have another key, checkout other team Assists, Steals and Turn overs when playing against us.

Today:

Lakers: 15 Assists, 8 Steals, 18 Turnovers.
Spurs: 20 Assists, 12 Steals, 9 Turnovers.
BuzzerBeater

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:14 pm

BuzzerBeater wrote:You all are rigth...

I have another key, checkout other team Assists, Steals and Turn overs when playing against us.

Today:

Pau is also geting open shots from 10-15 feet...these are makeable shots for him, he just hasn't hit them consistently all year (Except for the last 2 weeks of regular season)

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Terrible shooting with a bunch of wide open mid-range looks. Can't have that.
Didn't even try to post up Blair when he was guarding him, instead we kept settling for long jumpers..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:18 pm

BuzzerBeater wrote:You all are rigth...

Today:

I only single out Pau for trade because he makes 19 or 20 mil next season, is an expiring contract, still does have game (just not consistently) and therefore is our biggest trade asset. I'm not singling him out as the worst player, he wasn't, not even close, just makes the most and can bring back the most. Plus what teams would want the rest of our players in trades, nobody wants our 'trash', at least not for better players, we'd get worse in return.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby BuzzerBeater on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Today's Worst Players at FIELD GOALS:

Metta 3/14 = 21,42 %
Meeks 1/6 = 16,6 %
followed by Blake 7/18 = 38,8 %

IMO Pau IS NOT the whole problem but is a need to transfer SOME PLAYERS (including Pau) if we play this way.
BuzzerBeater

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion