Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Thread: #vamos #juntos #lakercorazon

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:33 pm

Ras Algethi wrote:Paus' still rusty and fatigued. He's been off all summer from surgery.

I thought so too. This is his last chance to get back to his old self or as close as he is able to any more. We shall see.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Re: Pau Thread: #vamos #juntos #lakercorazon

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

He'll be fine. I saw some good things in there. He was already more aggressive offensively and made some nice moves down low.

He had that little floater/hook over McGee where he had to put his body into him and get a little distance because he's not as athletic... that was nice. It's the kind of move he needs to use now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Pau Discussion: the center of attention

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:05 pm

PAUUUU

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 am

sticking out :man10: :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 am

His face just radiates excitement.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:18 am

That's the first time Pau has got his hands up, palms out in the last 3 years.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby pound4pound1 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:20 am

great pic...what an awesome moment last night
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby MadMax on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:52 am

Doc Brown wrote:That's the first time Pau has got his hands up, palms out in the last 3 years.

:man10:

It's great to see Pau supporting the dodgers. He really does love everything LA it seems.
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:35 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:great pic...what an awesome moment last night

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: It really was! Stoked Pau was there cheering for it. Uribe got it done. I honestly couldn't believe Mattingly had him bunting for those first two strikes. Ridiculous. Glad he ditched that and got to swing. Boom!! Clutch homer!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:35 pm

Pau Gasol wants to resign w/ Lakers. But he didn't sound crazy about taking a paycut
“If I perform well, am reliable and put up a great season, then I’m sure the Lakers will have interest in extending me maybe before the season is over,” Gasol said. “We’ll see if there’s interest or not. Then we’ll go from there.”

The Lakers only have three players under contract beyond next season, including Steve Nash, Robert Sacre and Nick Young. That leaves the Lakers with plenty of purchasing power to attract high-profile free agents, possibly including LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. Of course, the Lakers also want to resign Kobe Bryant, whose $30.5 million contract expires after this season.

In the interest of the Lakers maximizing their financial flexibility, would Gasol accept taking a significant paycut?

“Probably not,” he said. “You have to explore your options, but I would like to continue to play for the Lakers and maybe finish my career here. But you have to see the cards on the table.”
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 pm

Uh, yeah good luck with that. Pau's on the downside of his career, if he doesn't take a big paycut he simply won't be here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Love Pau's game so far & he's barely a few games in after taking the summer off

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby SK8 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Defense by Kings big guys is hilarious, but gotta give a little credit to Pau, nice game, you can just tell that he is coming back in shape and he is enjoying playing with Kaman, and this is only their second game together, that's scary :jam2: .
Let's just hope that they will stay healthy, and this season will be very watchable and fun.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:23 pm

If, BIG if ..... he and Kaman stay reasonably healthy, the Lakers have an intriguing and quite effective twin towers on offense option. When was the last time two 7 footers with similar all around "big man" offensive skills aside from power dunking, and quick, good passing to one another were paired together? Duncan and Robinson? Was the Admiral 7 feet? I think he was pretty close. I forget how well they passed to one another in their 2 man game. Who else?
LTLakerFan

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 am

the admiral was 7'1" he let duncan carry the team and won rings...that twin towers combo was the best in the history of the league....so you know Shaq was a beast routinely destroying that tandem
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:55 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Pau Gasol wants to resign w/ Lakers. But he didn't sound crazy about taking a paycut
“If I perform well, am reliable and put up a great season, then I’m sure the Lakers will have interest in extending me maybe before the season is over,” Gasol said. “We’ll see if there’s interest or not. Then we’ll go from there.”

The Lakers only have three players under contract beyond next season, including Steve Nash, Robert Sacre and Nick Young. That leaves the Lakers with plenty of purchasing power to attract high-profile free agents, possibly including LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony. Of course, the Lakers also want to resign Kobe Bryant, whose $30.5 million contract expires after this season.

In the interest of the Lakers maximizing their financial flexibility, would Gasol accept taking a significant paycut?

“Probably not,” he said. “You have to explore your options, but I would like to continue to play for the Lakers and maybe finish my career here. But you have to see the cards on the table.”

Thing is he's not worth one of the main pieces on a championship team anymore ... he's a 6th man ... we all "witnessed" how willing he was to come off the bench during last season .

Pau is part of Lakers history but we need to let him go next summer
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:00 am

LTLakerFan wrote:If, BIG if ..... he and Kaman stay reasonably healthy, the Lakers have an intriguing and quite effective twin towers on offense option. When was the last time two 7 footers with similar all around "big man" offensive skills aside from power dunking, and quick, good passing to one another were paired together? Duncan and Robinson? Was the Admiral 7 feet? I think he was pretty close. I forget how well they passed to one another in their 2 man game. Who else?

Not talking 7 footers/traditional bigs here ... Divac/Webber and LO/Pau comes to mind
wcsoldier81

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:21 am

Offense. Offense. Offense. Yes - they are both good passing bigs and should work well together on that end of the floor.

I still see them both giving up too many rebounds to shorter, but more-athletic players. Neither has much elevation or quickness. I still see way too many offensive rebounds given up to the other team -- and second chance (and third and fourth and even fifth chance) points are a big problem for this team.

When Hill is in, the rebounding difference is night and day (no race pun intended).
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:06 am

Weezy wrote:Uh, yeah good luck with that. Pau's on the downside of his career, if he doesn't take a big paycut he simply won't be here.

Yep. If he wants to stay he'll take a cut. Simple as that. The way Nash is going, I see him retiring. That would mean we'd have only Sacre and Harris left on partially guaranteed contracts.

Re-sign Kobe for cheaper, re-sign Gasol for cheaper, get the biggest FA we can and then fill in with more guys like Young, Johnson, Farmar, and whoever else looks good this season on similar deals to what they've got now. Then try to grab Love and Rondo and whoever else in 2015. Solid team building.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:14 am

Pau and Kobe both saying similar things now but I don't believe either one not being willing to take significant cuts if they want to be here and compete for a championship with a rebooted team. These are both UBER intelligent cats.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:20 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Offense. Offense. Offense. Yes - they are both good passing bigs and should work well together on that end of the floor.

I still see them both giving up too many rebounds to shorter, but more-athletic players. Neither has much elevation or quickness. I still see way too many offensive rebounds given up to the other team -- and second chance (and third and fourth and even fifth chance) points are a big problem for this team.

When Hill is in, the rebounding difference is night and day (no race pun intended).

Oh I agree, but in pre-season and for a guy like Dan who loves small ball, to experiment and see if this works when needed, it is great to see already the enjoyment they clearly have playing together and skill level on offense at least between them. Kaman after the scouting reports, to me, has been a great surprise, busting his arse out there. And Pau is moving well again. So effing skilled. Kaman is getting off the ground somewhat.... he's not glued to the floor.
LTLakerFan

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 am

Pau needs to take a paycut but not TOO much either, sure he's declined but how many other skilled C's better than him are there in the league?

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:46 am

With his game if he stays reasonably healthy (last year like with Nash and the rest of the team was a perfect storm of multiple injuries that severly impacted his mobility) if he takes in the range we hope to get any skilled BIG to be able to fit with Kobe and compete now (next year), would be a great pickup.
LTLakerFan

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:13 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Pau needs to take a paycut but not TOO much either, sure he's declined but how many other skilled C's better than him are there in the league?

Defense wins championship ... Pau is a huge defensive liability now in terms of protecting the paint and defend the PNR ... both lateral movement and effort are lacking .

You can't bring Pau back at more than 5 M a season in a reduced role if you are serious with building a championship roster ( with Kobe back at 10-15 M).

It's time to move on ...he's declining AND had three bad postseasons in a row.

We'll see how Pau is serious about winning next summer ... as of now , he sounds like "being featured" is more important .

Personally , I wouldn't bring him back
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:13 am

GoldenKnight wrote:Pau needs to take a paycut but not TOO much either, sure he's declined but how many other skilled C's better than him are there in the league?

Defense wins championship ... Pau is a huge defensive liability now in terms of protecting the paint and defend the PNR ... both lateral movement and effort are lacking .

You can't bring Pau back at more than 5 M a season in a reduced role if you are serious with building a championship roster ( with Kobe back at 10-15 M).

It's time to move on ...he's declining AND had three bad postseasons in a row.

We'll see how Pau is serious about winning next summer ... as of now , he sounds like "being featured" is more important .

Personally , I wouldn't bring him back
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion