Pau Discussion: Pau-dini escapes another trade deadline!

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
33%
No
55%
Maybe (explain)
10%

Total votes : 111

Re: Pau Discussion: the center of attention

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:40 am

good luck looking for a team that will overpay for you...

once Pau sees the kind of offers out there, he'll end up coming back for less
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:48 am

What if Kobe and Pau are sandbagging. It would be the smart thing to do. In other words maybe they have an agreement to when the time comes take "reasonable" yet big cut salaries, to build a super team and attract some other prime free agents. It would not be a good thing to alert all the other teams about it before Mitch works his wand now would it?

Passing the pipe along now....cough! :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby XXIV on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:04 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:Pau needs to take a paycut but not TOO much either, sure he's declined but how many other skilled C's better than him are there in the league?

Defense wins championship ... Pau is a huge defensive liability now in terms of protecting the paint and defend the PNR ... both lateral movement and effort are lacking .

You can't bring Pau back at more than 5 M a season in a reduced role if you are serious with building a championship roster ( with Kobe back at 10-15 M).

It's time to move on ...he's declining AND had three bad postseasons in a row.

We'll see how Pau is serious about winning next summer ... as of now , he sounds like "being featured" is more important .

Personally , I wouldn't bring him back

Pau is worth more than 5M, I wouldn't blame him if he laughed at that offer. Kyle Korver for God's sake is getting paid 6M/year and he's no where near as effective as Pau. Depending on who the Lakers can realistically go after I see Pau signing here for around $10-12M.
XXIV

Postby Aonex on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:What if Kobe and Pau are sandbagging. It would be the smart thing to do. In other words maybe they have an agreement to when the time comes take "reasonable" yet big cut salaries, to build a super team and attract some other prime free agents. It would not be a good thing to alert all the other teams about it before Mitch works his wand now would it?

Passing the pipe along now....cough! :man1:

Yeah, nothing more than posturing at this point.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby Finwë on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:31 pm

gotta agree with wcsoldier
Defensively, Pau's too much of a liability. With the new CBA in mind, 5-7 M is all he should get from a serious contending team
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:40 pm

No wonder we haven't seen Bystander in awhile..... too hard to take all the devaluing of Pau. Where's one of his good gifs when you need it?
LTLakerFan

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:58 pm

XXIV wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:Pau needs to take a paycut but not TOO much either, sure he's declined but how many other skilled C's better than him are there in the league?

Defense wins championship ... Pau is a huge defensive liability now in terms of protecting the paint and defend the PNR ... both lateral movement and effort are lacking .

You can't bring Pau back at more than 5 M a season in a reduced role if you are serious with building a championship roster ( with Kobe back at 10-15 M).

It's time to move on ...he's declining AND had three bad postseasons in a row.

We'll see how Pau is serious about winning next summer ... as of now , he sounds like "being featured" is more important .

Personally , I wouldn't bring him back

Pau is worth more than 5M, I wouldn't blame him if he laughed at that offer. Kyle Korver for God's sake is getting paid 6M/year and he's no where near as effective as Pau. Depending on who the Lakers can realistically go after I see Pau signing here for around $10-12M.

$5 million for Pau is a bad joke. I know his stock is low here because of the last three years. But 5 mill is Steve Blake money. Come on now. I agree with XX1V - Pau is going to get north of 10 million just because he is an outstanding big and that's what kind of money bigs get even if they aren't outstanding.

Now sure, he's never going to approach 20 mill again, or probably even 15 for that matter. But he'll see 10 with his next contract whether it's here or somewhere else.
Lakerjones

Postby jlkr on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:15 pm

If he does well and stays healthy, yes he's worth $10m even with lousy defense. Can't teach height when it comes with glue guy skills. Ok it will only be for 2 years guaranteed at most at his age. But he'll get it if he's still in good shape at the end of this season. His health is the key. As it was with Kaman. Kaman had trouble staying healthy and it showed in the kind of contracts available to him.
Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend...
--Hayward
jlkr

Postby XXIV on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:26 pm

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the some other team offered Pau north of $12M. The Bobcats gave Al Jefferson nearly $14M/yr and he's just as bad a defensive player if not worse. Pau will and should get big offers from other teams, I just hope he's willing to take less to stay here in LA and potentially have a shot at winning another ring or two.
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 am

Of course Pau can get 10 M ...I'm just saying this would be a bad move to bring Pau back for 10 M if you want to keep cap flexibility and build a contender in the future with Kobe already getting 15 M ish a season
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:01 am

Pau Gasol said he wouldn’t take a pay cut to re-sign with the Lakers in the off-season, and it looks like he might not have to.

Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio is reporting that the Lakers “may try to trade center Pau Gasol before the regular season starts for a young point guard that can replace the declining Steve Nash.”

• One Eastern Conference executive told FOX Sports Ohio he’s heard from the Lakers recently, and word around the league is they may try to make a “substantial” trade before the regular season. Apparently, forward Pau Gasol remains far from untouchable.

• Many NBA talent-evaluators feel as if Steve Nash is no longer capable of playing at a high level for more than 15-20 minutes game. The Lakers, it is believed, are on the lookout for a younger point guard who’s a more potent scorer. But as everyone who deals in the trade market will tell you, that won’t be so easy to obtain.

It makes sense from both angles in my opinion. Steve Nash just doesn’t have the wheels anymore and his skills declined rather fast right in front of Lakers brass.

If L.A. truly feels like they won’t pay a 35 year old Gasol the money he’s seeking, and they should cut their losses and gain an asset while they still can.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/report_lakers_may_trade_pau_gasol_to_acquire_young_pg/14783948

This is something most of us talked about when we signed Kaman and Sacre to long term deals. Gasol could still be moved at any time this season and although this is Sam Amico, I'd say there's a good possibility of this going through. Especially if the Lakers feel they can't re-sign Pau for a reasonable salary.

If we could use Pau to go get a young PG piece, then I'd be all for it (depending on the piece).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:10 am

Pau Gasol to appear on Ellen October 24th
Basketball Fan

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am

therealdeal wrote:
Pau Gasol said he wouldn’t take a pay cut to re-sign with the Lakers in the off-season, and it looks like he might not have to.

Sam Amico of Fox Sports Ohio is reporting that the Lakers “may try to trade center Pau Gasol before the regular season starts for a young point guard that can replace the declining Steve Nash.”

• One Eastern Conference executive told FOX Sports Ohio he’s heard from the Lakers recently, and word around the league is they may try to make a “substantial” trade before the regular season. Apparently, forward Pau Gasol remains far from untouchable.

• Many NBA talent-evaluators feel as if Steve Nash is no longer capable of playing at a high level for more than 15-20 minutes game. The Lakers, it is believed, are on the lookout for a younger point guard who’s a more potent scorer. But as everyone who deals in the trade market will tell you, that won’t be so easy to obtain.

It makes sense from both angles in my opinion. Steve Nash just doesn’t have the wheels anymore and his skills declined rather fast right in front of Lakers brass.

If L.A. truly feels like they won’t pay a 35 year old Gasol the money he’s seeking, and they should cut their losses and gain an asset while they still can.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/report_lakers_may_trade_pau_gasol_to_acquire_young_pg/14783948

This is something most of us talked about when we signed Kaman and Sacre to long term deals. Gasol could still be moved at any time this season and although this is Sam Amico, I'd say there's a good possibility of this going through. Especially if the Lakers feel they can't re-sign Pau for a reasonable salary.

If we could use Pau to go get a young PG piece, then I'd be all for it (depending on the piece).

It makes sense at this juncture. If we wanted to get something back for Pau, now (or last case scenario) at the deadline would be the time. The good news about now is that he's relatively healthy, can pass a physical and is on an upswing with a new year. Later in the year at the deadline, who knows?

I always thought Pau would get his best return as an expiring contract. I don't think there's much to lose at this moment. We're not going to win a championship this year. If they don't think they can resign him for a reasonable price, or they just want to move in a new direction for the future then sure, go after a player you want. They do risk some wrath from Kobe, but . . . does Kobe even think they can win this year as constructed? Basically it's a no lose situation for the Lakers right now - either move Pau for a great piece for the future or let him expire and get 20 mill off the books for cap space.

The only thing I don't want to see is Pau moved for not so great pieces. Don't want a bunch of contracts coming back. Better to cut him loose after the season than that. If they can get a great player back - awesome.
Lakerjones

Re: Pau Discussion: still on the trading block (375)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 am

I think it'd be a little silly to move him BEFORE the season like Amico indicates. Other teams need proof that he's healthy and that he's going to put up those numbers that everyone expects of him this year. If they get that, then I say all bets are off.

Target guys like Love and Rondo who seem to be in flux in their situations right now. Is Boston rebuilding? Are they retooling? If they're rebuilding, then trading Rondo for a big expiring makes sense. Love is more of a reach, but if he's not happy there and if Minnesota wants to cash in on Rubio/Pau still, then it's at least possible.

I would assume though that they aim for the East Coast and for a perimeter player. I don't know if it's a PG or not, but it could be.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 am

^^ I think the right time to move him is whenever you can basically, realdeal, if you're going to do it. But yeah, probably a potential trading partner would want to see him in action. But who knows?

Love or Rondo would be great targets. Especially Rondo. They could just let Pau expire and then go after Love. Rondo would probably be the guy I would go after anyway.
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:15 am

I have a strong feeling those two are on the Lakers radar in a big way. I think they'll try to get them regardless of the situation, whether it's now or in two years, but if they could get one now it'd be a best case scenario.

Maybe you're right about moving him asap. Who knows though? All I know is that if they move him for someone short term like a Kyle Lowry or something I'd be pretty upset. If they settle for a young PG and they don't get a pick or something in return, they need to just sit on him and let him expire.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:51 am

Bye Pau :wave:... welcome Rajon :man1:
kenzo

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 am

therealdeal wrote:I have a strong feeling those two are on the Lakers radar in a big way. I think they'll try to get them regardless of the situation, whether it's now or in two years, but if they could get one now it'd be a best case scenario.

Maybe you're right about moving him asap. Who knows though? All I know is that if they move him for someone short term like a Kyle Lowry or something I'd be pretty upset. If they settle for a young PG and they don't get a pick or something in return, they need to just sit on him and let him expire.

^^ Agreed. Needs to be someone great. Otherwise let him expire.
Lakerjones

Postby revgen on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 am

So they want a PG who is a potent scorer who is willing to come off the bench for Nash?

Pau's salary is 19 million. Who is going to take on that contract? And who is going to hand us a "potent scoring point guard" without throwing in trash contracts? And what "potent scoring point guard" would be willing to come off the bench for Nash instead of starting?

I believe Nick Young already fits the bill as a " potent scoring guard" who can come off the bench. Sure, he's not a "point guard", but I think he's good enough for the job.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:14 am

Ok... let's get this straight for the nth time.. Sam Amick = legit source, Sam Amico= makes things up :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:18 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Ok... let's get this straight for the nth time.. Sam Amick = legit source, Sam Amico= makes things up :man10:

I qualified it in my original post! :man10:

Although to be fair, I bet he heard that the Lakers were gauging interest in Pau and he concluded that Pau must be on the block. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 am

I call BS on that right there. The Lakers are going to get rid of their most skilled big to add ANOTHER PG? If the Lakers are sucking a** at the midway point I could see them entertaining that idea but before the season based on Pau "maybe" not wanting to take a paycut sounds made up.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Uncle Drew on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Nah, not going to happen. :nono5:
KobeBryant
#vamos #juntos #lakercorazon #vino
Uncle Drew

Postby ZenMaster4President on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:50 pm

BS

Also, "Fox Sports Ohio"? Hell, no.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby abeer3 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 pm

i agree with puffy; sounds like media fabrication. i'd be very surprised if pau was moved soon. he could get moved at the deadline if a) a star wants out and the team wants to shed salary in the process or b) the lakers are doing terribly and consider a full tankjob. short of these things, i expect pau to still be a laker in april.
abeer3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion