Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: Raptors, TWolves want Pau - p230

Postby Finwë on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:59 pm

gill wrote:^Lowry starts for the Raptors

:bang: you're right. For some reason I keep forgetting Lowry. He's very good too
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby LAKEROC on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Lowry...we're not getting him. Calderon is very likely if we dolled out Blake+ Duhon and a 1st.

Jose is also a great friend of Pau's, and might help that situation as well.

DO NOT TRADE PAU!!!!!
LAKEROC

Postby jadej2 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 pm

LAKEROC wrote:Lowry...we're not getting him. Calderon is very likely if we dolled out Blake+ Duhon and a 1st.

Jose is also a great friend of Pau's, and might help that situation as well.

DO NOT TRADE PAU!!!!!

There is no saving Pau, and also we have no draft picks to give. So we don't have a choice.
jadej2

Postby jadej2 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 pm

Doc Brown wrote:We definitely need a SF back in any trade we get Pau. It's MWP and.......... no one behind him. Once Nash gets back, I think Duhon can handle the backup PG duties. The Jamison/Hill/D12 rotation isn't a detriment to the team either.

I'd look to Phoenix and trade for need rather than the flashy name.

Pau/Ebanks for Dudley/Beasley/Frye

Frye is out because of his heart, but next year he could be the replacement for Jamison if he moves on. We get two shooters in Dudley/Beasley and Dudley plays some pretty solid defense as well.

Nash/Duhon
Kobe/Meeks
MWP/Dudley
Jamison/Beasley
D12/Hill

I think the team is a lot more balanced, it's not a flashy trade, but one that would make us better.

Not so fast Ebanks has a no trade clause so that trades is in the hands of Ebanks.
jadej2

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 pm

If we could somehow get Calderon without giving up Pau, he could do great things for our 2nd unit. I know Duhon is coming into his own right now, but he's playing for a PG coach. If Blake was in there right now he'd be doing better than usual too.. Even without the coaching boost Calderon has game & would do great running our 2nd unit with Pau.
lakersin4

Postby jadej2 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:05 pm

lakersin4 wrote:If we could somehow get Calderon without giving up Pau, he could do great things for our 2nd unit. I know Duhon is coming into his own right now, but he's playing for a PG coach. If Blake was in there right now he'd be doing better than usual too.. Even without the coaching boost Calderon has game & would do great running our 2nd unit with Pau.

Yeah, but don't it's possible and The Raps will make sure that we don't rip them off. I mean Toronto has no use for Blake or Duhon, and we don't have any draft picks left.
jadej2

Postby jlkr on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:31 pm

Have to give to get.
Have to have tradeable asset(s) that actually could get something significant back. Getting back Calderon without giving up Pau? Have no idea how one comes up with a trade scenario that Toronto accepts. Of course I like Calderon as a backup to Nash.

But ... no picks left. Hence tradeable asset must come from the roster. MWP won't bring much back and he meshes well with D'Antoni's schemes anyway and provides defense that is missing elsewhere. D12, Kobe and Nash are clearly not going anywhere. The bench doesn't have pieces with much value. So it's gotta be Pau who goes if anyone is out the door. Pau knows this as well as we do, he's not stupid.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Doomed. We have a 19M expiring contract though which we will probably let expire and get nothing but cap relief.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby thkthebest on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:21 am

I remember when so many people were blaming Pau. We are now 1-3 without Pau.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:26 am

he's not helping that's for sure
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:38 am

im not saying Pau is an amazing defender or even a good one, but what he does for this team (when healthy) is what gets us wins.

In the paint its his length that bothers shots. He may not be the quickest 7 footer but hes also not the slowest. Hes also smart adn understand how to defend. He may not do it all the time, but hes had his fair share of good blocks or defensive stops on guys his size and guys smaller than him. I also think the fact that hes played next to Dwight much more than Jamison or Hill, that he may have the defensive advantage knowing dwight better. its a chemistry thing.

On O, Kobe trusts him a lot more than Dwight imo. You see Pau with the ball a lot more than Dwight...Pau may not be attacking with that ball, but him simply having allows others to get involved bc hes such a willing passer. Especially inside, Pau's size and passing ability as well as his ability to score in the paint really helps us on O and makes Dwight get better looks/dunks/lobs.

Pau isnt the answer by no means, but he is an amazing player and a better fit next to dwight i think than anyone we could trade for simply bc of his ability to bother opponent's shots with his length and time spent playing next to Dwight.

Overall, Pau's length, offensive skills, willing passing ability, and time spent with dwight on D will help this team and i cant wait for him to come back especially with Dwight.
Ariza3

Postby bnr034 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:00 am

Ariza3 wrote:im not saying Pau is an amazing defender or even a good one, but what he does for this team (when healthy) is what gets us wins.

In the paint its his length that bothers shots. He may not be the quickest 7 footer but hes also not the slowest. Hes also smart adn understand how to defend. He may not do it all the time, but hes had his fair share of good blocks or defensive stops on guys his size and guys smaller than him. I also think the fact that hes played next to Dwight much more than Jamison or Hill, that he may have the defensive advantage knowing dwight better. its a chemistry thing.

On O, Kobe trusts him a lot more than Dwight imo. You see Pau with the ball a lot more than Dwight...Pau may not be attacking with that ball, but him simply having allows others to get involved bc hes such a willing passer. Especially inside, Pau's size and passing ability as well as his ability to score in the paint really helps us on O and makes Dwight get better looks/dunks/lobs.

Pau isnt the answer by no means, but he is an amazing player and a better fit next to dwight i think than anyone we could trade for simply bc of his ability to bother opponent's shots with his length and time spent playing next to Dwight.

Overall, Pau's length, offensive skills, willing passing ability, and time spent with dwight on D will help this team and i cant wait for him to come back especially with Dwight.

I think you hit it on the spot. The wins we had without Pau in the line up we shot an insane 3pt % to me its fools gold win. I still think our offense needs to be ran thru the post.. as of right now we are pick n rolling and kicking it out to the 3 point line.. and when the 3 ball doesnt drop we are in for a big :bang: :bang: :bang: :man6: :man6: :man5:
bnr034

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:11 am

jadej2 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:If we could somehow get Calderon without giving up Pau, he could do great things for our 2nd unit. I know Duhon is coming into his own right now, but he's playing for a PG coach. If Blake was in there right now he'd be doing better than usual too.. Even without the coaching boost Calderon has game & would do great running our 2nd unit with Pau.

Yeah, but don't it's possible and The Raps will make sure that we don't rip them off. I mean Toronto has no use for Blake or Duhon, and we don't have any draft picks left.

Pau isn't our only asset with value.. Jordan Hill + Blake + Duhon + Earl Clark for Calderon + Ed Davis + Pietrus(when can they trade him?) Hill would fit great with Bargs. I don't want to get rid of him, but if we're keeping Pau & Jamison, we could use help at other positions.. If we're keeping Pau, we need him to get those backup C minutes to get the most out of him. Hill's value will be really high if we keep playing him like this.
lakersin4

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 am

they're averaging 103.9 points scored and 95.8 points allowed per 48 minutes with Gasol on the floor. Those numbers drop to 97.4 points scored and 101.1 points allowed per 48 when he's on the bench.

Keep Pau and wait for Nash. After watching this team, no way am I trading Hill or Duhon. Both solid backups...Duhon can't miss from 3 or even a deeeeeep 3 it seems and Hill is our best bench player next to meeks.
Ariza3

Postby cthroatgtr on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 am

thkthebest wrote:I remember when so many people were blaming Pau. We are now 1-3 without Pau.
With Pau the offensive is more efficient. Without him the offense is chuck and duck. What would actually be more effective is Pau on the post and Dwight roaming the weak side ala Jordan Hill. Won't happen though.
cthroatgtr

Postby KB24 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:24 am

The problem isn't Pau was the reason we lost. The problem is that he is getting paid to help us win and he didn't.

Since when is the standard for an all-star and one of the highest paid players in the league "not being the reason to lose"...he is supposed to be worth the money he is getting paid. He is supposed to be a leader on this team and be decisive.

He was loafing around a little bit, shooting a few jumpers and calling it a day. So indirectly he IS the reason we lost because he has crippled the salary situation of this team with giving you zero return on investment. Instead we could have had two 10 mio per season players with decent production.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby lakersStan24 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 am

Why Trade This Guy? Nash isn't back yet and where we gonna find another talented big man like Him?
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby trodgers on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:59 am

Rumors are Gasol could be back for Tuesday.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am

lakersStan24 wrote:Why Trade This Guy? Nash isn't back yet and where we gonna find another talented big man like Him?

The Dollar General Store. The most talented big that can't jump, can't shoot, can't finish or play defense.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenshi1023 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am

gasol should bring back the beard. might help with his toughness :)
lakers turned mr.potatohead into pringles!
kenshi1023

Postby borri on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
they're averaging 103.9 points scored and 95.8 points allowed per 48 minutes with Gasol on the floor. Those numbers drop to 97.4 points scored and 101.1 points allowed per 48 when he's on the bench.

Keep Pau and wait for Nash. After watching this team, no way am I trading Hill or Duhon. Both solid backups...Duhon can't miss from 3 or even a deeeeeep 3 it seems and Hill is our best bench player next to meeks.

Not having Pau = starting Jamison when he normally comes off the bench. Not having the option to have Pau on the floor with the second unit. Bench is weakened. Limits the types of lineups we can run out there.
borri

Postby Finwë on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:50 pm

KB24 wrote:The problem isn't Pau was the reason we lost. The problem is that he is getting paid to help us win and he didn't.

Since when is the standard for an all-star and one of the highest paid players in the league "not being the reason to lose"...he is supposed to be worth the money he is getting paid. He is supposed to be a leader on this team and be decisive.

He was loafing around a little bit, shooting a few jumpers and calling it a day.

THANK YOU.
Can't believe certain posters here don't get this.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 am

Hes had a week off and hes not participating in shoot around today and not playing tonight...WTF come on. How much time do you really need. For someone whos known for not relying on his athleticism and being skilled hes sure is milking his injuries

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:20 am

The Rock wrote:Hes had a week off and hes not participating in shoot around today and not playing tonight...WTF come on. How much time do you really need. For someone whos known for not relying on his athleticism and being skilled hes sure is milking his injuries

Knee tendinitis takes about 2-4 weeks in order to recover.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:22 am

XXIV wrote:
The Rock wrote:Hes had a week off and hes not participating in shoot around today and not playing tonight...WTF come on. How much time do you really need. For someone whos known for not relying on his athleticism and being skilled hes sure is milking his injuries

Knee tendinitis takes about 2-4 weeks in order to recover.

Fair enough. He cant play 10-15 mins a game off the bench? its not like hes a bruised knee or some sprain. Hes going up against other team's backups the least he could do is play to whatever ability he has.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion