Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion (p.270: Out 2 Games w/Concussion)

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know what the trade will be, but I'm going to put myself out there:

Gasol will be traded after the Heat game. Probably within a day or two, maybe three. The team already has a trade in place, they're just waiting for after the game so that a) he doesn't get hurt and b) the team isn't distracted from a huge game by some "bad" news about a friend and teammate.

You have no idea how much I want you to be correct here.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:40 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know what the trade will be, but I'm going to put myself out there:

Gasol will be traded after the Heat game. Probably within a day or two, maybe three. The team already has a trade in place, they're just waiting for after the game so that a) he doesn't get hurt and b) the team isn't distracted from a huge game by some "bad" news about a friend and teammate.

Same here... just do NOT trade him for Bargniani :hurl:
kenzo

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:47 am

Hope you're right.. I was against Pau for Smoove in the past but Earl Clark opened my eyes.
lakersin4

Postby themasterphil on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:27 am

I hope he isnt going to play vs Miami...we just dont need him, his lack of defense, athleticism and lack of effort.....its really hard to say this bc we won 2 titles wit him but its the truth....
themasterphil

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:54 am

Weezy wrote:

Me too. :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:05 am

Let's hope so.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby TaniBoyz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 am

Make it happen Mitch! :man9:
TaniBoyz

Postby v1n5anity on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 am

I just don't see the FO trading Pau until the off-season. As much as I want it to happen, I just don't see it.
v1n5anity

Postby kosstick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:24 am

V1n5anity wrote:I just don't see the FO trading Pau until the off-season. As much as I want it to happen, I just don't see it.

Mitch and Jim will deliver. Wether it is this season or next (I believe it's soon) pau will be traded.

Yes I am a Jim supporter. Everyone remember how much we hated Mitch ? Can't hate on a owner that trades for Nash and Howard
kosstick

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am

kblo247 wrote:Hate???

12.0pts, 10.0rebs, 2.8ast, 1.6 blk, 44.4fg%

12.9pts, 9.1rebs, 4.3ast, 2.4blk, 42.7fg% (we doubled Harrington and Faried)

12.5pts, 9.3rebs, 4.0ast, 0.8blk, 43.2fg%, (punch from Phil, allowed Dirk over 60% 1v1, threw away game 1 too wi that idiotic foul not knowing score or game which left Phil to reply co comment for what could be going thru his head)

13.5pts, 6.8rebs, 3.7asts, 2.3blk, 41.8fg% (and we had to double Landry to protect him)

That isn't the mark of a great player, damn sure aint the mark of a franchise player as Pau makes max money, and he's a two way liability, its just bleeding into his season play now. The signs were there in the last title run as well when Pau didn't show up on the road vs PHX (worst close out game ever, and Amare plunked him in Phoenix equally as bad), Boston (Fish and Kobe were the only Lakers with better road than home averages), or OKC (he plays the first 47 minutes and that tip isn't necessary)

It's been coming on slowly.

In 2010, he underperformed on the road in 3/4 playoff series. His game didnt travel from staples to anywhere but Utah which was trash.

In 2011 the playoffs saw him get dismantled by Landry and we began to double every time to save him, the Hornets just missed threes. Dirk killed him, shot over 60% when they were matched up, so we doubled. Dallas hit what NO missed and we got burned trying to save him from getting raped. In fact we wouldn't have even been swept, and had game 1 won until he decided to run up and intentionally foul with no fouls to give 30 plus feet from the basket. Phil, Lamar, Kobe, Ron, Derek, and Andrew all did a collective wtf when the cameras panned to them.mthe announcers did the same

In 2012 he underperformed for a long stretch of the season until Kobe called out the management to the media to protect him. Then he proceeded to go into the playoffs and be destroyed by the fifth ninja turtle in Harrington and his sidekick Faried. He shot terribly, defended poorly, and was roasted by la media for no showing game 6 while a sick Kobe battled.mthen there was the next round where he didnt show up versus OKC, and in game 4 was so scared late in crunch time that he literally passed it to a Thunder player. Did I mention his unit with the second unit when Kobe sat was a net negative both runs and lost every beginning quarter they played when he was supposed to be asserting himself as the lone post guy with Bynum sitting?

This isn't new. Is been a long time coming, Pau is broken, to be blunt as a PF he's a mufackin joke and isn't even top 10 at his position. He's a liability on offense as he isn't even converting at a 25% clip on his open mid range shots, and his post up score conversion is pathetic for a big. We ain't even got to mention he's our worst defender in the starting 5. It's time to move to the bench or move to another team where he can be C either way period

So with all due respect I'm calling you or anyone defending him full of **** when you say you never saw this coming, or it hasn't been happening before this year

Please don't make posts like this. Other team's GMs may be watching. :scurred: What if Atlanta's GM were to stumble upon this thread? :man12:
Savory Griddles

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 am

If they are going to make a move for Josh Smith, the time is now. Otherwise I still don't see a home run trade for them that will make them pull the trigger. Who knows - they might try and get Smith. He's pricey, but he's expiring. Would it make Howard happy? Isn't he friends with that guy? I'm not sure Smith is the guy to go after either. Rudy Gay provides better shooting which is something D' Antoni is going to need.

I still think Pau might have something left in the tank for a run, but I want to see him coming off the bench, not starting for the rest of the season. More 5, less 4.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 am

Lakerjones wrote:

If they are going to make a move for Josh Smith, the time is now. Otherwise I still don't see a home run trade for them that will make them pull the trigger. Who knows - they might try and get Smith. He's pricey, but he's expiring. Would it make Howard happy? Isn't he friends with that guy? I'm not sure Smith is the guy to go after either. Rudy Gay provides better shooting which is something D' Antoni is going to need.

I still think Pau might have something left in the tank for a run, but I want to see him coming off the bench, not starting for the rest of the season. More 5, less 4.

Smith ext. the 1st couple of years would be for less then what Pau makes this year and next. I dont know bout further into it though. Pau contract/ext. came before the current salary max restriciton.
khmrP

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 am

Weezy wrote:

Me 5. With the 3 days off between Mia and Toronto, that would be an ideal time, esp. with tough games coming against Memphis, Utah, Chicago, and OKC.

I doubt they move him. But hoping to be wrong....
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 am

The Rock wrote:Hopefully he doesnt go further into shell

If he does then even more reason to bench him.

If he doesn't respond to this challenge with fervor, then he might as well retire and start playing cribbage now.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:06 am

Lakerjones wrote:

It's funny how on the fence most of us were, but after Clark's performances and Pau's lack of performances we're all over this :man10:

Not that I disagree or anything, just saying it's sad how far Gasol's stock has fallen.

Any who. Smith isn't all that pricey when you consider Gasol is 19 million dollars. Smith is only 13.2 million by comparison and even once we extended him he'd be cheaper than Gasol for a few years. Howard is Smith's best friend, they've played ball together since they were kids. I think both of them would be ecstatic. I dont' know if Smith is a winner or if he'd be the greatest for this team, but the dude is certainly athletic and he's basically what Clark would give us, but better and more consistent. Not a great shooter/scorer, but good at a TON of things on the court (namely defense).

I don't think Pau has anything left mentally in LA. I think he's got a lot of basketball left in him, but not here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 am

themasterphil wrote:I hope he isnt going to play vs Miami...we just dont need him, his lack of defense, athleticism and lack of effort.....its really hard to say this bc we won 2 titles wit him but its the truth....

this

it's so sad thinking about the fact that pau is eventually going to be traded when he was such a huge part of those 08-10 championship teams, but his play has declined so much that it would be wrong to keep him at this point
432J

Postby Psychobroker on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:11 am

While I think Pau needs to go, I personally think we need to deal him for depth at 4 & 5 -- trading him for Josh Smith leaves us with too few 5's and too many smallish 4's. Smith can't stretch the floor, but he thinks he can, and jacks up some of the worst three's around. I'd prefer we didn't trade for him at all tbh.
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 am

^^^ [to Real's post] So true. It is humbling that we think we know so much -- like many of us not wanting Smith because he can't shoot, has a tude problem, and makes Odumb and Metta Blockhead type stupid plays too often. But now EARL FREAKING CLARK plays hard, makes some plays, makes some forgivable mistakes, and shows us how much a defensive/mobile/helper/shot-blocker/energy guy can totally change our team defense and mesh with Howard and Nash.

Smith is worth the money and headaches for the simple reason (as you noted) that it virtually locks up Dwight staying here, even if we miss the playoffs. That benefit, in itself, is worth the move.

Big rotation of

Smith, Clark, Jamion
Howard, Kenyon Martin, Sacre

Use Ron and Jamison for 10 to 15 mins a game at the stretch 4 when running small ball.

Close games with this defensive lineup

Morris
Kobe
Clark/Ron
Smith
Dwight
Last edited by tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby scissors on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:20 am

If we can get a couple of good defenders for Pau then this team would be unstoppable.
scissors

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

Psychobroker wrote:While I think Pau needs to go, I personally think we need to deal him for depth at 4 & 5 -- trading him for Josh Smith leaves us with too few 5's and too many smallish 4's. Smith can't stretch the floor, but he thinks he can, and jacks up some of the worst three's around. I'd prefer we didn't trade for him at all tbh.

I'd prefer an athletic three like Gay or in dreamland, Granger. Problem is Gay's contract is brutal. That would be the end of that. And I don't see any possibility in getting Granger. Again, this probably gets full attention this offseason when Pau becomes an expiring. I'm also on the fence about a guy like Smith. Who knows how well Clark will do going forward but so far he's showing a lot of heart, athleticism, and is building chemistry with the starting unit. I don't really want them messing with that. But who knows? We shall see.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:35 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:Close games with this defensive lineup

Morris
Kobe
Clark/Ron
Smith
Dwight

^ You could just take out Morris and have Kobe/Clark/Artest/Smith/Howard. That defensive lineup is nasty :man10:

But offense might be kind of tough to come by.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 am

Lakerjones wrote:
Psychobroker wrote:While I think Pau needs to go, I personally think we need to deal him for depth at 4 & 5 -- trading him for Josh Smith leaves us with too few 5's and too many smallish 4's. Smith can't stretch the floor, but he thinks he can, and jacks up some of the worst three's around. I'd prefer we didn't trade for him at all tbh.

I'd prefer an athletic three like Gay or in dreamland, Granger. Problem is Gay's contract is brutal. That would be the end of that. And I don't see any possibility in getting Granger. Again, this probably gets full attention this offseason when Pau becomes an expiring. I'm also on the fence about a guy like Smith. Who knows how well Clark will do going forward but so far he's showing a lot of heart, athleticism, and is building chemistry with the starting unit. I don't really want them messing with that. But who knows? We shall see.

Smith isn't ideal on paper, but Clark has shown what that kind of player can do for our team. Does Clark REALLY stretch the floor? Not really. Not any better or worse than Smith does. But it's about movement off the ball. When Howard gets the ball down low and someone doubles, it's up to the team to move the ball around the perimeter and when the shot goes up it's up to Clark/Smith to go get the rebound. That's why Clark has been effective and that's what Smith can provide as well.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am

therealdeal wrote:
tigerjeterkobe wrote:Close games with this defensive lineup

Morris
Kobe
Clark/Ron
Smith
Dwight

^ You could just take out Morris and have Kobe/Clark/Artest/Smith/Howard. That defensive lineup is nasty :man10:

But offense might be kind of tough to come by.

I know. I thought about that. But Ron or Clark just are not fast enough to guard most PGs and SGs, especially if we have the lead and he other team goes small to score. Plus, Ron has tried to do too much offensively in final possessions of games this year after we do get a stop. Morris is the best we have for small guard defense (Kobe and Clark still struggle quite a bit getting over or under screens). Sure, Ron and Kobe could switch all the screens, but that isnt always ideal. This is why I have been pushing for West. He is simply better offensively and defensively than Morris, and miles ahead of Blake or Duhon or Meeks.

Anyway, that is a minor point. I don't love Smith. But I would love to have him this year over Gasol and ensure that Dwight stays.

What other piece would come with Smith, THAT is a key question (even if a hypothetical one).
tigerjeterkobe

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:48 am

Korver or Zaza which ever one Atl gives I'd take. Korver shooting near 43% from 3's this year and Zaza is that hard fouling no BS type of backup C we need, this is the guy that punked KG and stood up to him in the playoffs a few years ago
khmrP

Postby John3:16 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 am

khmrP wrote:Korver or Zaza which ever one Atl gives I'd take. Korver shooting near 43% from 3's this year and Zaza is that hard fouling no BS type of backup C we need, this is the guy that punked KG and stood up to him in the playoffs a few years ago

I'm not against Zaza at all, but Korver is exactly what we need. A stretch 3. We've needed one since Vlad left.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion