Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: $19,000,000 sixth man

Postby Kit on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 am

Let's sign Kmart. At least he is tough.
Kit

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 am

when Dwight went out, i thought to myself 'alright Pau...time to show everyone what you got'

and he did

please trade this guy asap
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby TIME on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am

karacha wrote:Pau, I am almost speechless. But I'll make an effort and post something.

Next time when a reporter asks you about being on the bench -- especially in crunch time -- feel free to tell them you deserve it. You are almost as slow as big Z was in his last years in the league. You have absolutely no lift. You have showed a 1-inch vertical last night when you tried to take it to the basket. You started shooting hooks with your feet planted to the ground.

You defensive efforts are almost non-existant. You can't protect the rim and are allowing easy layups. Without Dwight, our interior defense looks pathetic and guess whose responsibility that is? It's not just that you can't do it physically anymore, you are not even showing the effort. At least that's how it looks like. It's sad.

Please do not complain about the bench thing ever again. You should've stopped some layups there. You got 37 minutes and got 5 rebounds, and you played without Dwight late in the game. In comparison, Dwight got 14 with a bad back and a busted shoulder BTW. 5 of which were offensive.

You're 7-1 and you shot under 50% from the field. Your FT shooting is beyond horrible right now.

That's all for now, but I'll be back with more later.

Ok, I will take up the implied challenge in your critical post and defend Pau as he deserves.

I got nothing.

(time to bust out the old Tin-Pau avvy)
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

TIME wrote:(time to bust out the old Tin-Pau avvy)

can someone make one of Artest as Scarecrow cause he's need a brain
khmrP

Postby TIME on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am

khmrP wrote:
TIME wrote:(time to bust out the old Tin-Pau avvy)

can someone make one of Artest as Scarecrow cause he's need a brain

Indeed he does.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby NeeJee on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm

It's all in Pau's head right now. He's so mentally weak it's ridiculous. He's not hungry. He may say he is, but his body language doesn't. He's done. It's only a matter of time until he's traded. Last night was his last chance to prove himself and he failed miserably. If he opens his mouth one more with complaints, that'll be the final nail in his coffin. The only thing he has going in his favor is that Kobe still trusts him and wants him on this team. He's been with Kobe through the battles and he's gained his respect, BUT the NBA is a business. It's a "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately?" business, and lately Pau has hurt the team more than he's helped. I swear if Sacre was in the game last night instead of Pau, I think we would have had a better shot to win. Hurry up Mitch!
NeeJee

Postby Punk-101 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:52 pm

MINNEAPOLIS -- Ricky Rubio is standing up for his fellow Spaniard Pau Gasol, saying he doesn't think it's fair that the Los Angeles Lakers are bringing Gasol off the bench this season.

Rubio was asked about his close friend Gasol on Thursday, one day before his Minnesota Timberwolves were scheduled to host the Lakers. The two talk often during the season and seek each other out during tough stretches.

It's been a difficult season for Gasol, who was coming off a dominant performance for Spain at the London Olympics. He's missed big chunks of time with tendinitis in his knees and a concussion and hasn't seemed to find a role in Mike D'Antoni's offense. D'Antoni has been starting journeyman Earl Clark in Gasol's place, something that Gasol and Rubio don't like.

"He proved to the league he is one of the best," Rubio said. "He can pass. He can shoot. He can rebound. He can do a lot of things. I think if you use him in the right way he is a top player in this league. If they don't want him, we are more than welcome to get him."

Gasol has been the subject of trade rumors for the last few seasons now, much to the chagrin of Kobe Bryant, who has openly campaigned not just to keep one of the league's most gifted post players, but to continue featuring him on offense.

"It's been the last two years that it seems like they don't want him, but actually they need him," Rubio said. "He's a great player. He can do a lot of things and he had some issues with the knees, too. It's been a lot of years without resting for him. But he's a veteran. He knows how to play."

The Timberwolves have often been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Gasol. Wolves coach Rick Adelman has long been intrigued by the possibilities of a Gasol-Kevin Love pairing in the frontcourt, seeing similarities to the Chris Webber-Vlade Divac tandem that he employed to great success with the Sacramento Kings.

But the Wolves have been decimated by injuries this season and are 17-25, a distant 12th in the Western Conference, so making a trade for a highly paid veteran like Gasol seems like a stretch. The 32-year-old Gasol is making $19 million both this season and next, a big salary that makes it difficult to trade him.

"It's hard, when you are hearing things with the rumors that you are going to be traded, to be focused," Rubio said. "Like he says, he's a professional and he's been playing for a long time and he's going to keep doing what he doing."

Gasol is averaging a career-worst 12.8 points per game and is shooting a career-low 44.8 percent during this messy Lakers season. Not normally one to vent publicly, Gasol has complained about his role, most recently when he was benched for the entire fourth quarter of a win over the Hornets.

"Well, you know, `all for one' didn't last (very) long, did it?" D'Antoni quipped to reporters before the loss to Phoenix. "Forty-eight-hour shelf life. That's not bad. We'll take what we can get."

It's been one thing after another for D'Antoni and the Lakers, who were considered one of the favorites for the title after acquiring Dwight Howard in a trade in the offseason. Mike Brown was fired five games into the season, with D'Antoni getting the job over Phil Jackson. Howard hasn't been his usual dominant self for much of the year while recovering from a back injury last season and also has been bothered by a right shoulder injury over the last month.

Howard aggravated his shoulder injury in a loss to Phoenix on Wednesday night. The Lakers announced that he was evaluated on Thursday and is considered day-to-day.

The Lakers have shown signs of life in the last week, with consecutive victories over the Jazz, Thunder and Hornets. But they're still just 20-26 and in 10th place in the West, four games behind Houston for the eighth and final playoff spot.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby noobiew on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:58 pm

Did Minny offer Derrick Williams and Nikola Pekovic still on the table ?
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:50 pm

noobiew wrote:Did Minny offer Derrick Williams and Nikola Pekovic still on the table ?

We need AK if we deal with them.. He fits too perfectly. I could care less about Dwill2. Give us AK & the pieces from a 3rd team that takes Pek. Would love to steal Barea too but we're already pushing it.
lakersin4

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:27 am

Like it or not the reason why Pau isn't going anywhere this year....... Insurance Policy for Howard for when he aggravates his shoulder again in the future.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:35 am

sure Ricky, send us Love :man10: and then Mr. Rubio you'll see 1st hand of all the other stuff that he can't do thats also condusive to winning, such as protecting the paint, defending quick bigs, defending post up bigs and most recently missing ft's like he's Howard
khmrP

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 am

Pau+MD for Love+Adelman
Do it Rubio!
TaniBoyz

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:44 am

Food for thought from RealGM.com

Pau Gasol for Shawn Marion, Chris Kaman, Dahntay Jones

A possible spark for two of the most disappointing teams in the NBA. The Los Angeles Lakers and the Mavericks have shown signs of life in recent weeks, but they’re going to need a lot more than that to dig themselves out of the holes they’re currently in. This could be a game-changer for both.

For the Lakers, it satisfies their two main priorities: adding speed and shooting around Dwight Howard while not taking on any more additional long-term salary. Marion is signed for only one more season, while Kaman and Jones are on expiring contracts. Marion is 34, but his game has aged well. He’s been the Mavericks best player this season and he’s the ideal small-ball 4 for Mike D’Antoni’s system. Marion and Jones would dramatically improve the Lakers team speed (kind of a sad when you can say that about two 10+ year NBA veterans in their 30’s), while Kaman could be useful in limited minutes as Howard’s backup.

For Dallas, it’s a belated acknowledgement of reality. Dwight Howard isn’t coming and Chris Paul isn’t either. You think “Cliff Paul”, State Farm spokesman, is happening in Dallas? You think Adidas wants Howard to leave the most high-profile franchise in the NBA? Gasol has had a tough season, but he’s still only 32, and he has the size and skill to age as well as Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett have, if he can play center. The Mavericks would need to add some speed around them in the offseason, but the Gasol/Dirk tandem is their best chance of throwing together one more elite team around Nowitzki before it’s too late.
The Laker Link

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:49 am

^^that's not a rumor, but a suggestion. But I don't think it would work anyways because didn't Kaman just get hurt?

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/225906/YOLO_Trades_That_Make_Sense
The Laker Link

Postby easyguy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:34 am

Kit wrote:Let's sign Kmart. At least he is tough.

Stop with trading for older dudes, look at our younger guys, Clark and Hill, they have a lot more potentials than Kmart.
easyguy

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:37 am

There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but Ricky Rubio openly commented on Pau's frustrations and said something to the effect of

If they don't want him we will gladly take him

All right Mr. GM Rubio, Just throw in K-Love and first rounder. You get Ebanks.
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:52 am

Chillbongo wrote:There is probably a thread on this somewhere, but Ricky Rubio openly commented on Pau's frustrations and said something to the effect of

If they don't want him we will gladly take him

All right Mr. GM Rubio, Just throw in K-Love and first rounder. You get Ebanks.

do it tonight...Pau can go straight to the Wolves locker room when they get there
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Kit on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 am

easyguy wrote:
Kit wrote:Let's sign Kmart. At least he is tough.

Stop with trading for older dudes, look at our younger guys, Clark and Hill, they have a lot more potentials than Kmart.

Hill is not playing!
He is a FA. Give him a year deal. Won't hurt.
Kit

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:59 am

I've been a Gasol supporter almost the entire time, but there's something wrong. Not sure if it's motivation or his body starting to break down, but what limited mobility he had in his prime looks even worse.

It's a layup drill on us any time he's out there by himself and the worst part is I dont think he realizes it.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:05 pm

Hopefully he gets traded at the 11th hour and we can a good piece in return...
Ice-Fire

Postby borri on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:I've been a Gasol supporter almost the entire time, but there's something wrong. Not sure if it's motivation or his body starting to break down, but what limited mobility he had in his prime looks even worse.

It's a layup drill on us any time he's out there by himself and the worst part is I dont think he realizes it.

Of course he doesn't realize it. It's been 3 str8 years now that his D has gone from barely acceptable to now....total turnstyle.

So what has he repeatedly talked about the past 3 years?....You guessed it, touches.

Has he ever admitted that he needs to improve defensively? Nope. Not that I recall.
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:59 pm

borri wrote: It's been 3 str8 years now that his D has gone from barely acceptable to now....total turnstyle.

Gasol lets more people in the lane than an 18 wheel truck on a 40% slope
Chillbongo

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 pm

All his struggles started in the 2011 playoffs, he's been practically invisible ever since that time... at least last year he was respectable as far as bringing effort at possessions .... but now? he looks like a statue out there.... It's gonna be a good day when this pansy is off the team.
Ice-Fire

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Today is the 5th anniversary of the Pau for Kwame trade. Crazy how its been 5 years & 2 championships later.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:17 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Today is the 5th anniversary of the Pau for Kwame trade. Crazy how its been 5 years & 2 championships later.

Yeah. But, this about it this way: we made a great trade and won 2 'ships in 5 years. With the possibility to start fresh in the summer of 2014.That's pretty good. See, it's all relative. :man9:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion