Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
53
38%
No
71
52%
Maybe (explain)
12
8%
 
Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Seeing what it did to Ron and his play when he had it, might as well sit Pau again until it is completely healed.


I also remember Duncan playing with it a few years back. He was old, but he looked "deathbed old" with the plantar fasciitis. Kinda like how Pau looks now.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby easyguy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Seeing what it did to Ron and his play when he had it, might as well sit Pau again until it is completely healed.



Treatment

Your health care provider will usually first recommend:

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) to reduce pain and inflammation

Heel and foot stretching exercises

Night splints to wear while sleeping to stretch the foot

Resting as much as possible for at least a week

Wearing shoes with good support and cushions

Other steps to relieve pain include:

Apply ice to the painful area. Do this at least twice a day for 10 - 15 minutes, more often in the first couple of days.

Try wearing a heel cup, felt pads in the heel area, or shoe inserts.

Use night splints to stretch the injured fascia and allow it to heal.

If these treatments do not work, your health care provider may recommend:

Wearing a boot cast, which looks like a ski boot, for 3-6 weeks. It can be removed for bathing.

Custom-made shoe inserts (orthotics)

Steroid shots or injections into the heel

Sometimes, foot surgery is needed.
User avatar
easyguy

 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:02 pm

As for Lakerjones' contention that a mob mentality has settled in and therefore it makes no sense to argue keeping Pau to the mob, tell me what is so unreasonable about wanting to trade a player? And if a "mob" wants to trade Pau maybe there's a collective reason why they feel that way.

How about telling me why we should keep an EXTREMELY timid, soft 7 footer at $19million a year who regularly gets outplayed by average players?




^^ Sigh. This is why it doesn't make sense to argue with you guys. Who are the average players that are outplaying Pau? He WASN'T timid last night on the offensive end. Far from it in fact. So I guess I'm watching different things than you are. It IS a mob mentality. You are just defending it by throwing out gross generalizations about the guy's play. I'm just kind of tired of it. I don't know, the guy is on our team, I'm rooting for him in what I am guessing will be his last year - I don't think the loss last night falls on him particularly nor do I think we should be sending him out in trade for garbage in return at this late date in the season.

Let the freaking dust settle and see what we have. We won five games in a row. Pau helped a lot in a couple of those wins since he got back. So did Nash. I'd like to see what we have a month from now. If Pau completely sucks, which I highly doubt, but I will concede could possibly be, then reevaluate and trade him at the deadline. But only if there is a good deal. I don't see that a big trade, even at the deadline and another overturn in our team (already did a coaching overhaul) is going to be the best thing for our team. It could help if we get a great deal in return but it could be detrimental if it's a bad one.

Next year Pau has much more trade value. I would prefer that we use what we have, bolstered with a backup 3 if we can get one at the deadline. Meanwhile, contrary to what most are saying, Pau is still a good player and is putting up some good games.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby lotus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:10 pm

revgen wrote:Then maybe Mitch should be the one to make the call on whether Pau should stay or go instead of overreacting fans on a message board. If you're going to say "trade him!", then I would assume that you have an idea of what team would want Pau and would be willing to offer us somebody in return that significantly helps to improve the team. Since you don't, and have admitted that much, then what are you really providing for discussion? We have a WMC thread for venting. I'd suggest going there if you're upset about how a player is performing.

Well hold on a minute because it sounds like you are saying I can't submit an opinion about trading unless I've worked out the details of a trade because otherwise there is nothing to discuss. I thought a dicussion board was also for open ended opinion? For me to say trade Pau and why I think so is an opinion and can be discussed. As the poster after yours said, Pau is breaking down. I agree with that opinion. So I hope Mitch trades him for SOMEONE that is not broken down. If someone can take it to a deeper level by naming the players in the trade, then more power to him.
lotus

 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:14 pm

Like i said even IF the Lakers were to trade Pau, we're NOT going to get equal value for him, even after this season when he becomes an expiring contract. People want to trade him and get Kevin Love back, which is highly unlikely. The best trade we could get is Bargniani and Calderon, and while Calderon is a good player, and Bargniani is a good fit for this system, both those players =/= Gasol. Bargini is WAY worse than Gasol on defense and a much worse rebounder. If you think yesterday was bad, could you imagine Bargniani in there, while Fareed owns him on the boards? We got what we got, I rather keep Gasol at this point unless a great deal comes our way around the All Star break.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
User avatar
KBJelleyBean24

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: Oxnard, CA

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby easyguy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:17 pm

lotus wrote:
revgen wrote:Then maybe Mitch should be the one to make the call on whether Pau should stay or go instead of overreacting fans on a message board. If you're going to say "trade him!", then I would assume that you have an idea of what team would want Pau and would be willing to offer us somebody in return that significantly helps to improve the team. Since you don't, and have admitted that much, then what are you really providing for discussion? We have a WMC thread for venting. I'd suggest going there if you're upset about how a player is performing.

Well hold on a minute because it sounds like you are saying I can't submit an opinion about trading unless I've worked out the details of a trade because otherwise there is nothing to discuss. I thought a dicussion board was also for open ended opinion? For me to say trade Pau and why I think so is an opinion and can be discussed. As the poster after yours said, Pau is breaking down. I agree with that opinion. So I hope Mitch trades him for SOMEONE that is not broken down. If someone can take it to a deeper level by naming the players in the trade, then more power to him.


Well... he is right, we cant have everyone making open ended opinion and not back it up when challenged, then it wont be a discussion forum, but it will be like twitter.
User avatar
easyguy

 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby lotus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
How about telling me why we should keep an EXTREMELY timid, soft 7 footer at $19million a year who regularly gets outplayed by average players?

^^ Sigh. This is why it doesn't make sense to argue with you guys. Who are the average players that are outplaying Pau? He WASN'T timid last night on the offensive end. Far from it in fact. So I guess I'm watching different things than you are. It IS a mob mentality. You are just defending it by throwing out gross generalizations about the guy's play. I'm just kind of tired of it...

I just don't get the mob mentality charge. I'm a Lakers fan that is tired of seeing Pau's play. I'm not going to cherry pick games where he's played well, like against the Knicks, because his overall play is going down. In fact, I wish they could have completed a trade for him last year. He's not getting any better. You act like the guy is your best friend.
lotus

 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:35 pm

lotus wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
How about telling me why we should keep an EXTREMELY timid, soft 7 footer at $19million a year who regularly gets outplayed by average players?

^^ Sigh. This is why it doesn't make sense to argue with you guys. Who are the average players that are outplaying Pau? He WASN'T timid last night on the offensive end. Far from it in fact. So I guess I'm watching different things than you are. It IS a mob mentality. You are just defending it by throwing out gross generalizations about the guy's play. I'm just kind of tired of it...

I just don't get the mob mentality charge. I'm a Lakers fan that is tired of seeing Pau's play. I'm not going to cherry pick games where he's played well, like against the Knicks, because his overall play is going down. In fact, I wish they could have completed a trade for him last year. He's not getting any better. You act like the guy is your best friend.


Well, perhaps I shouldn't have singled your post out only, but there is a mob mentality anti-Pau thing going on right now big time, that's what I'm commenting on. The irony is that I was actually calling out Pau on CL during Phil's last season. The thing is he's actually playing better now IMO than he was then. He's more BEAT up now than he was then. At that time he didn't have anything physically wrong with him and that's what I was pissed at him about. I didn't understand what changed and why he wasn't the same guy when he was obviously fine physically. This year is different. He's trying but he's had a slew of health problems. It's just that when I see him actually bringing some fire I don't get why I everyone is so down on him.

And obviously he was traded a year ago - just Stern vetoed it. So he's here and he's soldiered on. I think he's done well in that regard and acted like a professional about it. He was booted from the team already but he's not acting like a cancer and screwing the team over. He is attempting to make it work. He's not my best friend, but I dislike the scapegoating. I get it that you and others want him gone. Be careful what you wish for though.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:38 pm

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:Like i said even IF the Lakers were to trade Pau, we're NOT going to get equal value for him, even after this season when he becomes an expiring contract. People want to trade him and get Kevin Love back, which is highly unlikely. The best trade we could get is Bargniani and Calderon, and while Calderon is a good player, and Bargniani is a good fit for this system, both those players =/= Gasol. Bargini is WAY worse than Gasol on defense and a much worse rebounder. If you think yesterday was bad, could you imagine Bargniani in there, while Fareed owns him on the boards? We got what we got, I rather keep Gasol at this point unless a great deal comes our way around the All Star break.


^^ This is where I'm at as well. I think you've got a realistic view of it KBJelleyBean24.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby borri on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:53 pm

Well, at least we get to see more of Hill in the lineup.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Helljumper on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Well, perhaps I shouldn't have singled your post out only, but there is a mob mentality anti-Pau thing going on right now big time, that's what I'm commenting on. He is attempting to make it work. He's not my best friend, but I dislike the scapegoating. I get it that you and others want him gone. Be careful what you wish for though.


This is a terrible defense of Pau ... coming from someone whose part of the D'antoni bashing mob :man10:
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 pm

Helljumper wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Well, perhaps I shouldn't have singled your post out only, but there is a mob mentality anti-Pau thing going on right now big time, that's what I'm commenting on. He is attempting to make it work. He's not my best friend, but I dislike the scapegoating. I get it that you and others want him gone. Be careful what you wish for though.


This is a terrible defense of Pau ... coming from someone whose part of the D'antoni bashing mob :man10:


I feel as if you are attempting to bait me. Is that correct? What is terrible about what I said concerning Pau, and what mob bashing D' Antoni are you accusing me of being a part of exactly?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Helljumper on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Helljumper wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:Well, perhaps I shouldn't have singled your post out only, but there is a mob mentality anti-Pau thing going on right now big time, that's what I'm commenting on. He is attempting to make it work. He's not my best friend, but I dislike the scapegoating. I get it that you and others want him gone. Be careful what you wish for though.


This is a terrible defense of Pau ... coming from someone whose part of the D'antoni bashing mob :man10:


I feel as if you are attempting to bait me. Is that correct? What is terrible about what I said concerning Pau, and what mob bashing D' Antoni are you accusing me of being a part of exactly?


There are a lot of people on CL attacking Pau. Pau is being scapegoated for many of the teams problems. You claim that one of the main reasons people are attacking Pau are because of this "mob mentality" against him. Similarly, there are a lot of people on CL attacking D'antoni. D'antoni is also being scapegoated for many of the teams problems. You really don't see the comparison? I'm not trying to bait you, I just find it funny that you're arguing one way to defend Pau ... and then using the exact opposite argument to attack D'antoni.

I didn't say you said anything terrible about Pau. I said your defense of him was terrible. As in, it's not a good defense. People aren't attacking Pau and using him as a scapegoat because of a mob mentality, they're attacking him because of what they from him on the court. Similarly, I don't think people are attacking D'antoni because of a mob mentality, I think they don't like the product they see on the floor.
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:34 pm

deleted post.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby dj vitus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 pm

borri wrote:Well, at least we get to see more of Hill in the lineup.

That's perfect. If we trade Pau, we don't need a great rebounder in return. Just someone who can defend and shoot long ball.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
User avatar
dj vitus

 
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sun May 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Location: Walnut, CA by way of Laaaas Vegas!

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:50 pm

There are a lot of people on CL attacking Pau. Pau is being scapegoated for many of the teams problems. You claim that one of the main reasons people are attacking Pau are because of this "mob mentality" against him. Similarly, there are a lot of people on CL attacking D'antoni. D'antoni is also being scapegoated for many of the teams problems. You really don't see the comparison? I'm not trying to bait you, I just find it funny that you're arguing one way to defend Pau ... and then using the exact opposite argument to attack D'antoni.

I didn't say you said anything terrible about Pau. I said your defense of him was terrible. As in, it's not a good defense. People aren't attacking Pau and using him as a scapegoat because of a mob mentality, they're attacking him because of what they from him on the court. Similarly, I don't think people are attacking D'antoni because of a mob mentality, I think they don't like the product they see on the floor.


Ok, and I'm not saying that people are attacking Pau because of a mob mentality, but rather there has become a mob mentality with people's attacks on him en masse. Have you been to Gameday Thread lately? Pau has gotten an insane amount of pure hate on there and he's actually playing better right now. For whatever reason there seems to be a crap storm aimed at Pau during the Knicks game and then mainly today after the Denver loss that don't seem appropriate or commensurate to his actual play on the court. If we really think that Pau didn't help us win against the Knicks or was one of the biggest reasons for the loss in Denver despite a completely flat team defense then I guess there's a huge divide in opinion between what I'm seeing and many others are. If so, I guess it is what it is.

Regarding D' Antoni. It's obvious I wasn't a fan of his hire. Nonetheless I've tried to give the guy the benefit of waiting until he had his full roster and at least a month or two worth of games before judging him completely. What I reacted to the other day was the absurdity of some of his substitution ideas that reminded me of the previous coach. To me he was shooting himself in the foot without even trying the most obvious rotations, i.e.,

Starters: Nash, Kobe, MWP, Pau, Howard
Bench: Duhon, Meeks, Jamison, Hill and maybe either Ebanks or Clark at 3

He just got his full team back and seemingly healthy, although now we know otherwise because Pau it turns out is injured again. Now, fine, do whatever rotations you need to do in order to fill in for Pau. But at the time, my beef was that Meeks is not starting material, nor is Morris, and that Jamison and Hill should not be at the end of the bench not getting any time, especially given the age of our starters and the propensity of the coach to use them for 40 minutes a game. Why not use your bench guys? Why not use them AS bench guys, not make crazy lineups inserting some of them as starters? Starters start. Bench guys fill in at their respective positions. If that makes me part of a mob mentality I don't see it. But to each his own I guess.

Word to the wise, when you use the laughing icon at someone and you don't explain what it is that you don't like about the post in question but just call it terrible, it really appears to be baiting.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15234
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby revgen on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:53 pm

lotus wrote:
revgen wrote:Then maybe Mitch should be the one to make the call on whether Pau should stay or go instead of overreacting fans on a message board. If you're going to say "trade him!", then I would assume that you have an idea of what team would want Pau and would be willing to offer us somebody in return that significantly helps to improve the team. Since you don't, and have admitted that much, then what are you really providing for discussion? We have a WMC thread for venting. I'd suggest going there if you're upset about how a player is performing.

Well hold on a minute because it sounds like you are saying I can't submit an opinion about trading unless I've worked out the details of a trade because otherwise there is nothing to discuss.


You can. Just do it in WMC.

That's where the "This player sucks! Trade him! I don't know where! I don't know how! Just trade him!" posts should go.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby borri on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Lakerjones wrote:Ok, and I'm not saying that people are attacking Pau because of a mob mentality, but rather there has become a mob mentality with people's attacks on him en masse. Have you been to Gameday Thread lately? Pau has gotten an insane amount of pure hate on there and he's actually playing better right now. For whatever reason there seems to be a crap storm aimed at Pau during the Knicks game and then mainly today after the Denver loss that don't seem appropriate or commensurate to his actual play on the court. If we really think that Pau didn't help us win against the Knicks or was one of the biggest reasons for the loss in Denver despite a completely flat team defense then I guess there's a huge divide in opinion between what I'm seeing and many others are. If so, I guess it is what it is.


LOL shame on you for even mentioning Gameday comments re: Pau. You know people usually aren't in their right state of mind in the heat of the moment. You know this! LOL.

If there is a mob mentality against Pau, it didn't just start this year and you know this too. It has been an accumulation of frustration with Pau ever since the "sweep" where PJ slapped Pau in the chest til now. And Pau has sucked this year beyond his normal play since that "sweep". And you know this too. I've read your many comments re: Pau these past few years so you know the "angst" isn't without adequate reasons.

A mob is one which is uniformed, prone to overexaggeration without basis in fact. That my friend is the antithesis of the Pau angst on CL.
User avatar
borri

 
Posts: 8037
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Helljumper on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:11 pm

Since we acquired Dwight, it was obvious to most of us that we'd need a stretch 4. If Pau can be that stretch 4 and consistently knock down an open three or two, why is that a problem?
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:03 pm

great game by pau. flashes of the old pau
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Armani on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Pau hitting the 3 is just weird, but if he keeps spacing the floor like this, we don't need a stretch 4. He can stay.
Image
User avatar
Armani

 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:45 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:07 pm

Still wanna trade em? :man12:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
User avatar
KBJelleyBean24

 
Posts: 786
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm
Location: Oxnard, CA

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 pm

I'm hoping Pau turned a corner....

Instead of whining about touches and getting to certain spots on the floor in the media, make your own opportunities and be aggressive when you get the ball.

Example - The Pau shake and bake. Getting the ball on the 3 point line, driving, shaking, baking and getting a wide open hook shot.

He didn't get the ball where he WANTS it, but he took it there, was aggressive and got what he wanted. Haven't seen that move in 3 years.

Aggressive and active Pau, the Pau we saw tonight both offensively and defensively is what we need, not shrugs.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19457
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby lakersyunowin on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:20 pm

lol pau doing postgame shirtless. guy must be feeling confident. good good.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
User avatar
lakersyunowin

 
Posts: 10416
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: three point specialist

Postby Frank Dux on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 pm

^ :man10: I missed that.
User avatar
Frank Dux

 
Posts: 4205
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Barnstable, Google [Bot] and 9 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.