Pau Discussion: Pau-dini escapes another trade deadline!

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
33%
No
56%
Maybe (explain)
10%

Total votes : 114

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: $19,000,000 sixth man

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:51 pm

lakersin4 wrote:When Pau plays like this, it's hard to say trade him. But the 1st half of the season was a good preview of the decline to come. We're going to have to let him go in the offseason at the latest.

It really depends on what type of package we receive for him, management isn't going to move him just for the sake of a trade to happen. If deal comes along where they see we'll improve and it fits our 2014 plan I'm sure they'll pull the trigger. For now let's just enjoy Pau's play of late. :man1:
XXIV

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 pm

bruddahmanmatt wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ Where the hell have you been?

Lurking and reading d00m post after d00m post. :man10:

good to have you back man
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby bystander on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:47 am

bruddahmanmatt wrote:Oh man, I've been saying move him to the bench since the start of the season. He was a terrific mismatch for other teams at the 4 when he first got here, but given the state of his knees it's easier for him to hang around the rim both offensively and defensively, sort of how Duncan and Garnett both transitioned to the 5 after spending the early majority of their careers at the 4. It was always a matter of Gasol being willing, and given what a team player he's always been I never understood why he wasn't asked to come off the bench sooner. Dude always had it in him to be our Nu-Skool McAdoo.

pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby pound4pound1 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:24 pm

so i tuned into the Knicks-Hawks game last night and the first thing i saw was Josh Smith on the FT line...after clanking, i imagined what our FTs would look like with him and Dwight...makes me reconsider sending Pau in that trade
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Ice-Fire on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:51 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:so i tuned into the Knicks-Hawks game last night and the first thing i saw was Josh Smith on the FT line...after clanking, i imagined what our FTs would look like with him and Dwight...makes me reconsider sending Pau in that trade

It would be dumb to send Gasol anywhere at this point unless the Lakers get some value back, most teams right now want to have the Lakers take on a toxic contract and that is not going to happen with the plan the Lakers have in place for 14.

I think it's better to be stuck with Gasol and figure out ways for him to Impact the game off the bench.
Ice-Fire

Postby ayito on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Two irrefutable truths:
- Pau Gasol is no Michael Jordan.
- Shoot threes is not playing baseball.
ayito

Postby Juronimo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:08 pm

I like Gasol off the bench. He actually went to the post on Sunday and played good team defense. I thought he had a good game.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 pm

ayito wrote:Two irrefutable truths:

Two reactions to what you are clarifying for everyone....... :man3: :man3:
LTLakerFan

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 pm

5 year hiatus post FTW.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby shoe on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Welcome back ayito.

We missed you, bud.
shoe

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 am

Doc Brown wrote:

5 year hiatus post FTW.

back with a vengence too :jam2:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 am

Gasol Won't Request Trade This Season, Can't Envision Permanent Bench Role
Jan 28, 2013 10:08 PM EST

Pau Gasol remains dissatisfied with his bench role, but is committed to remaining with the Los Angeles Lakers for the remainder of the season.

"Not right now," Gasol said when asked about if a trade request may come from his camp. "I don't think now is the time for that step to happen. Right now I'm very focused and committed to our team."

Gasol admitted that he has not enjoyed coming off the bench.

"Whether I like it or not or whether I agree with it or not, I still try to go out there and do my job.

"It's hard for anybody who considers himself one of the top players in the world to say, 'OK, I'm OK with coming off the bench,'" Gasol said. "It's a difficult situation that we've been dealing with here. The last few games have been great, and we're staying positive and we look forward to that to continue. But at the same time, we don't need any other distractions, any more negativity. We need positive embracing, we need focus, we need to support each other. That's where we're at and that's where I'm at, too."

Gasol said he would find it difficult to be a bench player beyond the remainder of the current season.

"I've been on this team, in this city, for six years," Gasol said. "It's very hard to stick around on this team, and I take pride in that. I think I'm a valuable asset and I want my role to be as big as it can be, within the well being of the team. But I don't know if being a player that comes off the bench will be something that I'll be able to accept long term.

"Right now I want this team to work. I feel we have a very privileged team with great athletes. It's been a crazy year for everyone, and I understand that. And the last thing I'll be here is selfish right now. So I'm willing to work with what we have right now for the rest of the year and have no problems, because I want it to work. And I'm not a guy that just quits on himself or on his team."

Via Ken Berger/CBS Sports

Well I hate him whining aroun about the bench thing ... I mean do guys like Ginobili, J.R. Smih, Crawford and co. give a f*** about that as long as it's for the better of the team? I hope he sticks to his words and keeps his mouth shut until the season ends for us ...
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:08 am

"Right now I'm very focused and committed to our team. We don't need any other distractions, any more negativity. We need positive embracing, we need focus, we need to support each other. That's where we're at and that's where I'm at, too."

Should have limited it to that.
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby KB24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 am

Its easy Gasoft....if you are productive you will start and if you coast you will be on the bench. You decide whether you end up on the bench or not. Its not like you didn't get a chance. You were awful.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 am

For some crazy reason he doesn't see that he's doing better coming off then bench. He is featured in the offense, plays his more natural position, scores more, has an easier time overall and is praised more for his efforts. He gets starter minutes too, just like Odom, Ginobili etc.

What does he get as a starter? Being announced in the starting 5? That's OK for a rookie, but after all these years in the league he should be over that.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am

I know people are going to hate on Pau for saying that but I am not. The guy believes he is a starter if it was anyone else, especially an American Born player, we would be like "yea I like the fire in this guy. I too wish he could see, and he will in time, how much better the team is with him coming off the bench. Of course that is besides the point as long as he plays with the same fire he has the last few games we very well could finish this season with a Championship. Once again I find it interesting that the media is stirring the Lakers pot. Look at the questions being asked to our players after games. Every one seems to be tilted for someone to complain about another player. Questions like, "Are you surprised Kobe is passing you the ball?" "Pau you have been a starter your whole career and despite winning and playing better off the bench does it bother you that no one has stood up for you as a starter?"

Pau just play the game worry about next year during the offseason.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:22 am

karacha wrote:For some crazy reason he doesn't see that he's doing better coming off then bench. He is featured in the offense, plays his more natural position, scores more, has an easier time overall and is praised more for his efforts. He gets starter minutes too, just like Odom, Ginobili etc.

What does he get as a starter? Being announced in the starting 5? That's OK for a rookie, but after all these years in the league he should be over that.

come on now lets not pretend to overlook Odom's response when Phil 1st brought up benching him. Also took some time for Odom to adapt and become productive off the bench on a consistent basis.
khmrP

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:29 am

No question about it. But that has everything to do with the ego, and nothing with the real situation. They get the same money, good minutes, radio and TV exposure and even more opportunities to shine on their team. "I'm not a starter"... is just an illusion. On paper, yeah -- you're not a starter, but have all the benefits of a starter. It's not like they have been demoted to "deep bench" and play only 7 minutes a game in garbage time.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:32 am

I get it. He looks at it like a demotion and he will go for it now because that's what's being asked of him. But next year if D' Antoni is coach he'll want out. But he's being the good soldier right now, and I applaud him for that.

I Agree with everyone else, the silly thing about this is that he's needed this move for months. He came into the season with tendonitis in both knees and it sounds like the plantar fasciitis might have been there too, undiagnosed. He's been slow as molasses. He was playing too many minutes for a guy who was hurting. The tendonitis has died down somewhat but the foot is going to be a problem until he gets significant time off.

Coming off the bench brings down his minutes, which is the best thing that could happen. Now he's more focused with the minutes he has as opposed to playing half-baked for longer times trying to conserve his energy. He's also playing that backup C role which is huge for us since Dwight is sketchy in the post. Pau comes in and we've got a real focal point for the offense off the bench which we were sorely lacking. Meeks and Jamison were supposed to provide that relief but have been inconsistent in that role. Now Pau is killing it in that role.

The added bonus has been his better defense. Don't know where that's been hiding, but he's doing quite a bit better lately in that regard, especially at the rim. Earlier in the year he was a sieve. Now he's blocking shots, altering shots in the lane. He's playing with more fire.

So for this year, it's a great solution and it's working. This summer both sides are going to need to part company. Pau is too expensive and is the only real trade piece we have to get better for the future.
Lakerjones

Postby karacha on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:35 am

I get why he thinks of it as a "demotion". It's an emotional response, but a logical one. Yet, Pau is a very intelligent, cerebral player. Can't he see that he's doing better and that his body responds better?

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:37 am

karacha wrote:No question about it. But that has everything to do with the ego, and nothing with the real situation. They get the same money, good minutes, radio and TV exposure and even more opportunities to shine on their team. "I'm not a starter"... is just an illusion. On paper, yeah -- you're not a starter, but have all the benefits of a starter. It's not like they have been demoted to "deep bench" and play only 7 minutes a game in garbage time.

Have Dwight bring over a stat sheet of before and after and show to Pau :man1:
khmrP

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 am

karacha wrote:I get why he thinks of it as a "demotion". It's an emotional response, but a logical one. Yet, Pau is a very intelligent, cerebral player. Can't he see that he's doing better and that his body responds better?

I know . . . it's funny that way. He needed this move to the bench badly in terms of his body. It's really been his saving grace and now he's kicking major butt. Not to mention it obviously puts him in spots he wants to be when he plays backup 5 as opposed to starting 4 alongside D12. But again, he's not complaining per se. I just think he's drawing the line: "I'll do this for now. But not next year." I understand that. It'll be time to part ways for both sides this offseason. That seems inevitable unless Dwight bails, and we know the FO doesn't want that to happen. Pau's contract will be too expensive to continue with him and we have multiple holes we'll need to fill.
Lakerjones

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am

khmrP wrote:
karacha wrote:No question about it. But that has everything to do with the ego, and nothing with the real situation. They get the same money, good minutes, radio and TV exposure and even more opportunities to shine on their team. "I'm not a starter"... is just an illusion. On paper, yeah -- you're not a starter, but have all the benefits of a starter. It's not like they have been demoted to "deep bench" and play only 7 minutes a game in garbage time.

Have Dwight bring over a stat sheet of before and after and show to Pau :man1:

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Lakerjones

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:15 am

Two things:
1. Good for him for being the bigger man about this situation. I've been very critical of his attitude and demeanor this season, but this he again reminds me of the kind of professional he is. He's a great person.

2. He needs to really understand that as long as he's on this team with Dwight Howards or Andrew Bynums he's a bench player. He's no longer the best Center on the team and he's certainly not a Power Forward any more.

And as for thinking he's one of the best players in the world: news flash Pau you haven't played like one of the best players in the world for almost 2 years now. It's been a LONG team since we've seen that side of you. You're showing us some of that again now BUT... it came BECAUSE you're mad about being benched.

I love the man Gasol is, but hopefully he understands that he literally can't play the 4 anymore. Maybe next season Howard can come back and be the Howard he was in Orlando (or close to it) and he can learn to be a 4ish type player making Gasol the defacto 5, but right now it's not going to work and next season it's probably not going to work.

He's probably gone this summer.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am

I don't understand. Yes he's a huge reason why we won those 2 chips...yes you were a huge #2 for us..from 2008-2010..now? You have lost that fire and you are no longer the 2nd best player on the team...does it make you any worst? no..he should feel flattered because we ALL believe that he's the most lethal player coming off the bench now by far. (maybe other than Crawford/Manu)..plus the fact he's STILL going to finish games and play close to starter minutes anyway..so what the !@@! is the fuss Pau? Shut up about it already.
thisbjgz

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion