Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Trusty

Postby last stand on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:25 pm

pau was so awesome during the 3 NBA finals run. i remember him being an automatic 2 points on the block. the guy was better than anyone on the block when 1 on 1 during that span.

i'm really gonna miss him when he's gone. he deserves his number in the rafters. he saved this franchise from disaster in 2008
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:31 pm

last stand wrote:pau was so awesome during the 3 NBA finals run. i remember him being an automatic 2 points on the block. the guy was better than anyone on the block when 1 on 1 during that span.

i'm really gonna miss him when he's gone. he deserves his number in the rafters. he saved this franchise from disaster in 2008

^^ Agreed all the way. I have no doubt that Pau's jersey will go up in the rafters at some point. If Goodrich, Worthy and Wilkes are there, Pau should be too. Gasol's addition singlehandedly turned us from first round fodder to Finalists three years in a row. His play as our number two guy gave us two championships in that time. He'll make the HOF and when he does he'll have his jersey retired here.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:35 pm

We need this Pau, if he can play like this when everyone is healthy we could be pretty scary.
JLaker17

Postby last stand on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:42 pm

JLaker17 wrote:We need this Pau, if he can play like this when everyone is healthy we could be pretty scary.

don't think it's possible. kobe is one of the few players i've seen fight age so well. Pau is losing the fight like everyone else does. his legs are like anchors at this point, because of that his stability is off, which disallows him to stay balanced like he used to and therefore his positioning is poor and he can't stay balanced on his shots.

that's why he's been so poor so close to the rim. he can't get to his spots anymore consistently, and he can't keep himself on a solid base to take a shot.

also his elbow is messed up. age has taken pau, he's still a very solid player, better than most teams starting PFs, but at this point he will struggle to score like he used to.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby JSM on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:51 pm

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson 1h
Laker Nation: If Gasol plays like he did last night against his brother and Randolph, the @Lakers will make a deep playoff run!
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby khmrP on Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:56 pm

JSM wrote:
Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson 1h
Laker Nation: If Gasol plays like he did last night against his brother and Randolph, the @Lakers will make a deep playoff run!

common sense would suggest that but how often can we count on Pau to have these types of games...but solid performance last nite.
khmrP

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:49 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
last stand wrote:pau was so awesome during the 3 NBA finals run. i remember him being an automatic 2 points on the block. the guy was better than anyone on the block when 1 on 1 during that span.

^^ Agreed all the way. I have no doubt that Pau's jersey will go up in the rafters at some point. If Goodrich, Worthy and Wilkes are there, Pau should be too. Gasol's addition singlehandedly turned us from first round fodder to Finalists three years in a row. His play as our number two guy gave us two championships in that time. He'll make the HOF and when he does he'll have his jersey retired here.

First time I've seen anyone bring that up and never entered my head either. Very true and very cool. One of the very classiest and most skilled Lakers ever. That fast break with him blitzing down the middle handling the rock behind his back like a point guard was one of his epic Laker moments. :jam2: :jam2:
LTLakerFan

Postby GoldHammish on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Didn't catch last night's game, but I just watched Chook's highlights. Pau looks more engaged than I've seen him be in a while; hopefully this keeps up, because he's been playing well as of late.
GoldHammish

Postby The Rock on Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:48 pm

Just keep converting those wide open mid range shots please!! Easy cash!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby venky on Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:56 pm

He had a good game to say the least. Hope the two man game continues to work.
venky

Postby The Rock on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:40 pm

Theres gonna come a point in time in the playoffs where D'Antoni might have to choose between Pau and Dwight and make offense for defense substitutions, they play much better without each other on the court, its ridiculous. During Hack a Dwight and when we're up 8-10 points I think we have to take Dwight out because we're ridiculously solid on offense with Pau/Kobe working together....on the other hand if we're getting destroyed defensively and Pau is not having a good game first 3Q he needs to be sat, hes not gonna an offensive outburst in 4th Q when its Kobe time anyways

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/36311/in-gritty-win-lakers-lean-on-a-reliable-combination

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, with just Bryant and Gasol on the court together (and Dwight Howard off the court) Friday night, the Lakers had a plus/minus rating of plus-46 over 12 minutes. With just Bryant and Gasol on the court this season (and Howard and Nash off the court), the Lakers have a plus-20.4 rating, the highest of any of their two-man combinations.

Due to injuries, it's a smaller sample size than their other two-man games. But because of their history together, and the implications for the Lakers' future, there's a significance to it.

"We're both knowledgable players. We both have high basketball IQs," Gasol said after scoring 19 points on 8-of-14 shooting against the Grizzlies.

"We've played with each other the longest, for sure. That was always a constant in the past. It seemed to work pretty well and I think it's just smart if we continue to do that. Not for ourselves, but for the rest of the guys."

Gasol is still troubled by the torn plantar fascia in his right foot. It gets progressively sore as the game goes on. But he's used to it by now.

And frankly, at this point, with just six games left in the Lakers' regular season and potentially his Lakers career, he might as well give what he can while there's still time to make a difference.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 pm

There is no reason for Pau to not have this kind of game on a consistent basis ... the opponent D are always focusing on Kobe and Dwight ... it's up to Pau to take these FT line area jumpers and to be agressive ... instead of forcing lobs to Dwight , passing up shots or throwing up weak stuff at the rim
wcsoldier81

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:49 pm

thought he had a good game. 12/13 (5OFF)/8 is great. defense was questionable but overall good game. did his part for the most part
Ariza3

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:49 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:There is no reason for Pau to not have this kind of game on a consistent basis ... the opponent D are always focusing on Kobe and Dwight ... it's up to Pau to take these FT line area jumpers and to be agressive ... instead of forcing lobs to Dwight , passing up shots or throwing up weak stuff at the rim

Going forward hell yes! That's what you mean right, knowing that he is coming back from not good-at-all conditioning due to serious lower extremity issues?
LTLakerFan

Postby Finwë on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Wasn't nearly as strong boxing out as we needed him, and that hurt us. Other than that, he played well.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm

Even though I love Pau and he's been playing well, this is a good sign.

@LakersTwitAcct @MikeZimmermanFL @young_maymay Yes. Without getting into names, I know three teams--T-wolves, Raps, Blazers--who want Pau.

https://twitter.com/MarkHeisler/status/321300125039345664#
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Not a bad game by Pau. Again, he needs to stop taking the 20 foot midrange shots. Take advantage of the post, and box out more effectively. Jump for those rebounds.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:29 pm

No to Bargnani but give me Batum & Maynor or something. Maynor is quick, has a nice floater and likes to penetrate. Better than Morris and looks to be able to create a shot for himself. Not sure about his shot but those contracts add up to $14M and I believe Portland has cap space.

No idea why they'd give us Batum or what they'd do with Pau/Aldridge/Hickson though.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Even though I love Pau and he's been playing well, this is a good sign.

@LakersTwitAcct @MikeZimmermanFL @young_maymay Yes. Without getting into names, I know three teams--T-wolves, Raps, Blazers--who want Pau.

Good sign indeed.

If those are the teams, this is what I'd be looking for:

Wolves: Kirilenko/Williams/Barea/Pick
Raptors: Ross/Amir Johnson/Landry Fields/Valanciunas
Blazers: Mathews/Batum

Obviously assuming there's no third team involved.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:43 pm

There's no way in hell we'd get Matthews and Batum, right? If that's offered we JUMP ON IT

I'll take that MIN deal because it includes a pick. I'm hoping Andrei is back in form and not injury prone. That's my only fear with that deal. Barea is a nice pickup. Not sold on Williams, rather take Budinger.

As far as TOR, not sure but I like Johnson and Ross. I doubt they give up Valanciuas? Unless Andrea is going to be their C.
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:45 pm

I don't think Mitch would walk away from the Minny deal unless Love was involved or the lottery pick that Minny gets is a Top-5.

If we can snag Batum/Bayless for Gasol that would work out perfect for our needs. An athletic SF who can score and create his own shot and play defense. And a quick backup PG.

Toronto - Nothing really interests me. Landry would be okay, but he's not having the same type of year he did in NY. Toronto gave their pick to Houston, which now belongs to OKC.

Love/filler + Top 5/filler or Batum/Bayless
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:47 pm

^^^Bayless plays for the Grizz, he hasn't been with Por for almost 2 seasons now....
Last edited by khmrP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:51 pm

THat's what I thought. Well, any backup PG will do if we got Batum.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:28 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:Even though I love Pau and he's been playing well, this is a good sign.

Good sign indeed.

If those are the teams, this is what I'd be looking for:

Wolves: Kirilenko/Williams/Barea/Pick
Raptors: Ross/Amir Johnson/Landry Fields/Valanciunas
Blazers: Mathews/Batum

Obviously assuming there's no third team involved.

I doubt Tor gives up Val and out of those name only Johnson interest me but he's no better than Hill when he gets consistent minutes....that Ross guy after reading Tor fans post on realgm has been posting a PER of .1 or something since ASB. I want to deal with Blazers, give me Batum/Maynor/Picks would be ideal.
khmrP

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:35 pm

Now this is interesting that the Blazers have an interest. Batum would be the perfect SF. He's quick, young, can defend, shoot well, etc. He's exactly what we need at that position, IMO. Again, if this report is true, he's probably the best player available that can fit our needs.

I wouldn't take anybody the Raptors could offer; With the T-Wolves, it gets interesting. I do like Barea, and Budinger. Williams is an interesting prospect. I still wouldn't pull the trigger unless there is absolutely nobody else that wants Pau and you can fill some needs with this deal.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion