Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Discussion: Woj - Probably done in LA (473)

Postby karacha on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:40 am

Rooscooter wrote:What Pau did isn't an issue. He got us over the top and we won two championships. I don't think anyone would take issue with that or that he's a consummate professional...

I agree. Pau played some amazing basketball for us, and helped us win those championships. I am sure we're all very grateful for that. Pau is also a very likeable guy... none of that is an issue. I just don't see a reason to re-sign him when he simply can't move that well anymore. Offensively he still has some nice post moves, but he plays softer then ever and his D is non-existing. I mean, OK, if he said - "how about two years for the minimum, to stay with Kobe until he retires" -- yeah, I can see that. But I think he will ask for more $$, and I feel we should be moving in the other direction now; namely, finding younger, hungrier players. How can he help us at this point? That doesn't mean he is completely useless. He could certainly help some other team in a different role. But if he re-signs, you know what his role is: starting center for our team. That's not going to cut it anymore.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:11 am

Gasol believes that he is still an elite player that expects commensurate playing time and pay. His game has slipped considerably since 2010. It would be in his better interest to sign with San Antonio if he wants to keep winning at this latter stage of his pro career.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:28 pm

@ESPNSteinLine: If Knicks retain Melo, as so many expect, they've actually got two very peruasive Pau Gasol recruiters: @PhilJackson11 and @josemcalderon8

This is a good point, I forgot they got Calderon, but still, going to NY is a HUGE pay cut, like 16 million dollars.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Weezy wrote:
@ESPNSteinLine: If Knicks retain Melo, as so many expect, they've actually got two very peruasive Pau Gasol recruiters: @PhilJackson11 and @josemcalderon8

This is a good point, I forgot they got Calderon, but still, going to NY is a HUGE pay cut, like 16 million dollars.

Yep. Plus, Kobe Pau and Melo >>>> Calderon, Pau and Melo.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby sister golden hair on Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:58 pm

I find it hard to believe that Pau would willingly come back to the same organization that has been pushing him out the door for several years now, going so far as to hire a coach who not only abhorred post play and tried turning Pau into a "stretch four," but who also waited all of two games before suggesting that Gasol could not help this team win. At other points in the season that same coach implied that Pau was malingering, was a selfish player, and was primarily interested in signing his pay checks above all else.

Yeah, sounds like an ideal spot to go back to for far less money. I can picture Pau now asking Jim Buss: "Say no more, Jim! Just pass me the pen so I can sign on the line that is dotted."

It could happen, but I find it very, very unlikely. I can see Pau going to OKC, GS, SA and maybe even Dallas before he comes back to LA.
sister golden hair

Postby sister golden hair on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:02 pm

karacha wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:What Pau did isn't an issue. He got us over the top and we won two championships. I don't think anyone would take issue with that or that he's a consummate professional...

I agree. Pau played some amazing basketball for us, and helped us win those championships. I am sure we're all very grateful for that. Pau is also a very likeable guy... none of that is an issue. I just don't see a reason to re-sign him when he simply can't move that well anymore. Offensively he still has some nice post moves, but he plays softer then ever and his D is non-existing. I mean, OK, if he said - "how about two years for the minimum, to stay with Kobe until he retires" -- yeah, I can see that. But I think he will ask for more $$, and I feel we should be moving in the other direction now; namely, finding younger, hungrier players. How can he help us at this point? That doesn't mean he is completely useless. He could certainly help some other team in a different role. But if he re-signs, you know what his role is: starting center for our team. That's not going to cut it anymore.

I won't excuse Pau's shortcomings. But I will point out that his last two HCs have been among the worst in the league, and that the FO seemed to encourage speculation that Pau was on his way out. A happy player will play a better brand of ball. Again, that's not to excuse Pau. But you have to wonder how his attitude and mindset were affected when MDA, of all people, started putting Pau down publicly two games into his tenure and who pulled him aside and told him that for the good of the team, he should forget the post and launch three-pointers.

If nothing else, Pau was probably wondering why the lakers hired an idiot to coach the team.
sister golden hair

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:47 pm

Jared Zwerling ‏@JaredZwerling 5m

Spoke w/ someone who was part of a coaching bench w/ P. Gasol. Said PG being a "big culture guy" off court factors in & thinks LA & NY lead.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby laakers on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:40 pm

sister golden hair wrote:I find it hard to believe that Pau would willingly come back to the same organization that has been pushing him out the door for several years now, going so far as to hire a coach who not only abhorred post play and tried turning Pau into a "stretch four," but who also waited all of two games before suggesting that Gasol could not help this team win. At other points in the season that same coach implied that Pau was malingering, was a selfish player, and was primarily interested in signing his pay checks above all else.

Yeah, sounds like an ideal spot to go back to for far less money. I can picture Pau now asking Jim Buss: "Say no more, Jim! Just pass me the pen so I can sign on the line that is dotted."

It could happen, but I find it very, very unlikely. I can see Pau going to OKC, GS, SA and maybe even Dallas before he comes back to LA.

That's MDA's doing, not the front office. And if we've been pushing him out the door, why didn't we just trade him?

I think his heart still lies in LA with his homie Kobe. Pau could be the very piece needed to bring Melo here.
laakers

Postby easyguy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:52 pm

If we get Melo, and can keep Pau. Pau is the missing piece to the puzzle to win a championship. If all three do well we will be in the playoff and maybe more.
easyguy

Postby Tommyboy456 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:55 pm

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 38s

By all indications, Thunder and Bulls remain favorites to land Pau Gasol. But if Melo stays in NY, could sway of Phil-Fish-Melo tip scales?
Tommyboy456

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:58 pm

Why is everyone writing us off? :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 pm

I'm not really shedding no tears if Pau leaves...even with the potential Melo addition, Pau is just a bad fit period. Either way, I don't think he takes less money to go to NY; I think he goes to a place where he can win and earn more money, IMO.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Tommyboy456 wrote:
Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS 38s

By all indications, Thunder and Bulls remain favorites to land Pau Gasol. But if Melo stays in NY, could sway of Phil-Fish-Melo tip scales?

Only 1 of these are actual players that will be on the court, that should matter more than other things I would think. If roster is top consideration, Thunder and Bulls should be the favorites, maybe even the Spurs as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:25 pm

i'll be sad if pau left but only for nostalgic purposes, he's been one of my favorites since the day he arrived and without him LA doesn't win 2 titles

what makes me mad is that if pau does leave, the lakers get nothing in return. when just a couple of years ago, we could have gotten such a good return in exchange for him
432J

Postby DarthRekal on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:45 pm

let him and Melo take up all of Phils cap
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 50s

Pau Gasol will indeed meet with the Heat, according to a source.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby abeer3 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:54 pm

I really have a hard time seeing pau give up the cash people are saying he will. I think the cheat situation has made people drunk with paycuts...everyone realizes they gave up less than 2 per each, right? pau would be giving up 5 per to join ny, and at least a couple mil (25% minimum) of his likely market value.
abeer3

Postby Weezy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:02 pm

abeer3 wrote:I really have a hard time seeing pau give up the cash people are saying he will. I think the cheat situation has made people drunk with paycuts...everyone realizes they gave up less than 2 per each, right? pau would be giving up 5 per to join ny, and at least a couple mil (25% minimum) of his likely market value.

I really don't get it either. Pau would get little more than 3 mil in NY, what star no matter how much he's declined, ever goes from 19 mil to 3 mil the next season? Pau isn't what he was, but he's worth much more than that. What big puts up 17/9 for 3 mil? Even wanting to win first, there has to be some professional pride there still, right?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Weezy wrote:
abeer3 wrote:I really have a hard time seeing pau give up the cash people are saying he will. I think the cheat situation has made people drunk with paycuts...everyone realizes they gave up less than 2 per each, right? pau would be giving up 5 per to join ny, and at least a couple mil (25% minimum) of his likely market value.

I really don't get it either. Pau would get little more than 3 mil in NY, what star no matter how much he's declined, ever goes from 19 mil to 3 mil the next season? Pau isn't what he was, but he's worth much more than that. What big puts up 17/9 for 3 mil? Even wanting to win first, there has to be some professional pride there still, right?

Especially when the Spurs can offer him more and he'd be a PERFECT fit for them. He could play for 25 minutes a game, pass the ball around. Spurs got the whole international thing going. If he's going to take way under market value, why would he play with the Knicks? He can get more from the Heat or Spurs.
Savory Griddles

Postby Magic Skywalker on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Whatever Pau does, I hope he doesn't end up with the Heat.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:21 pm

Magic Skywalker wrote:Whatever Pau does, I hope he doesn't end up with the Heat.

Maybe he goes to the Celtics. I mean, they need someone with talent over 6'6" right?
Savory Griddles

Re: Pau Discussion: Thunder now frontrunners for Pau (470)

Postby Kangaroo Grandkid on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:26 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
FOX Sports Live @FOXSportsLive · 8m
"I think he's probably done in L.A." -@WojYahooNBA on Pau Gasol
More

Bye Pau. Sucks we got zero assets back for him.

It's called greed.
Kangaroo Grandkid

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 2m

Joakim Noah and the Bulls were in LA to court Pau Gasol today. Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra are up next. Yesterday it was KD and Westbrook
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby bigdog2013 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:49 pm

pau had a nice run with lakers but its time to move on and get younger.
bigdog2013

Postby John3:16 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:00 pm

Magic Skywalker wrote:Whatever Pau does, I hope he doesn't end up with the Lakers.

Fixed.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion