Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni are not on the same page

Postby emplay on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 pm

Hey all,

Kind of a mess between Pau and D’Antoni – and it’s not just about starting or finishing:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 5959.story

Also:

Report links Lakers to Minnesota's Dante Cunningham
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 1191.story

Nike Basketball releases latest Kobe Bryant commercial
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 5501.story

Thanks!

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Re: Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni are not on the same page

Postby scissors on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:08 pm

Too much drama going on. Someone on the team needs to tell Pau tp grow a pair.

Always enjoy reading your articles.
scissors

Postby noobiew on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 pm

cancerous and more drama on the Lakerland yikes !
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Mitch likes Dante Cunningham? That's odd. He's nothing special. Can't shoot at all.
Armani

Postby WilliamHaven on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 am

Even though Pau has sucked this season, for lack of a better term....I think I still trust his basketball intellect more than I do D'antoni's
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby bystander on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 am

Pau Gasol has made it clear he doesn't want to come off the bench and he expects to finish games.

"My job is to try to get the best team on the floor all the time and make it work," maintained Coach Mike D'Antoni after practice Friday. "That doesn't mean I'm not including him. I just mean, that's my job."

When Gasol initially returned from his knee injury, the Lakers relied on their forward-center to create offense in the high post. Gasol responded by averaging 5.5 assists over a four-game stretch.

Even before his recent concussion, the team moved away from running the offense through Gasol. With the Miami Heat trapping Steve Nash, Gasol thought the Lakers missed an opportunity.

"We talked about doing it in timeouts, but we never really got to do it in the game," said Gasol. "[The Heat] show so much and they're so aggressive to the ball, it takes one defender off me and then it's a four on three, with me catching the ball on the top of the floor and making decisions and attacking from that point ... getting an open shot almost every time. We didn't get to do it that much. Hopefully we'll do it down in Miami in February."

The best example of the Lakers using Gasol as playmaker was against the Warriors.

"The Golden State game for instance, we ran a lot of the elbow sets where I caught the ball from the elbow and made plays from there," said Gasol. "We got four different looks just out of the one set, four different shots, layups, dunks open shots."

So where did that go?

"You're preaching to the choir, my friend," answered Gasol. "There's so much I can do. I don't play by myself. We're a team. We [have] a coaching staff."

There's tension between Gasol and D'Antoni that is bigger than just starting and finishing games.

"We have to figure it out, tighten up our execution, know what to run, know where we can get good looks from down the stretch and not just rely on Kobe [Bryant] to bail us out every time because right now he's been on this defensive task of guarding point guards," said Gasol. "It's going to take quite a bit of his legs too. We have to understand and be smart. That's a challenge in this profession."

Bryant has been outspoken in his support for Gasol, both as a playmaker and as a low-post scorer.

"He's on the same page," said Gasol of Bryant.

The Lakers' offense won't flow into Gasol naturally. It's something they consciously look to do as a unit.

"Our spacing doesn't really favor that too much," he said. "It has to be more like specific calls, sometimes initiating the offense differently for that to happen."

So who is making the call, or rather the non-call, D'Antoni or Nash?

"From both," said Gasol. "All ends."

lol @ the bold part.

First time Pau doesn't respect a coach and since that sorry excuse of a coach was hired Pau has been unleashed.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby kobe_008 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 am

im with pau on this one.we really need a structured offense.im not really sure why we hired mike D.
kobe_008

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 am

Too much offensive speak, when we're scoring fine and our main issue is defense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:51 am

Weezy wrote:Too much offensive speak, when we're scoring fine and our main issue is defense.

+!. Pau needs to stop worrying about his role in the offense and realize why this team is losing.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:37 am

revgen wrote:
Weezy wrote:Too much offensive speak, when we're scoring fine and our main issue is defense.

+!. Pau needs to stop worrying about his role in the offense and realize why this team is losing.

I wish these Laker reporters would start talking to Pau about his defense and how bad it is. It's always about offense with Pau. Touches/shots/post/ etc. that's always the topic, I wish someone in LA would call him out on his defense and how it hurts the team because apparently Pau only feels like getting his these days.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 am

Doc Brown wrote:
revgen wrote:

I wish these Laker reporters would start talking to Pau about his defense and how bad it is. It's always about offense with Pau. Touches/shots/post/ etc. that's always the topic, I wish someone in LA would call him out on his defense and how it hurts the team because apparently Pau only feels like getting his these days.

yep ... I adressed this some time ago ... this is mind blowing
wcsoldier81

Postby bystander on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:02 am

It's obvious for me that the reason they focus on Pau's offense is because that's his main weapon. He won't be a defensive anchor and his D is his weaker point, but he's not a scrub on D. Right now he's still playing under injuries, he's old and rusty, so his D will be awful. Also his will is not there because he feels disrespected. Brown asked Pau to do certain things but he respected Pau.

Since day 1 Pau is the perfect MDA excuse and he's using it like crazy.

If Pau is used the right way on offense, even at this stage of his career, the balance between his good things and bad things would still be positive. Gasol knows where he can help most to this team and that's it's in the post and running the offense from time to time from him to create easy baskets for Howard and Kobe.

Now let's still act like Pau is a scrub and a cancer. Jesus, the nerve of some people, all [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] day whining about every single thing of him.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:42 am

I guess it needs to be said again. We don't really need his offense as much as we need him not to be invisible on defense and allow lay up after dunk after layup. Dwight goes out, and teams attack attack attack. And even bigs like Cousins totally humiliate him. And then he lets Griffin outrun him down the floor, finish with a dunk, and instead of pointing to himself or getting gritty and upset, he shrugs and acts like Pedro Sorano in Major League II -- "That mun, that was a beautiful dunk. Oh well...."

He is complaining about touches, offense, minutes, etc. and avoiding the obvious -- MDA prefers Clark because of defense and his hustle.

You acknowledge his "awful" D, then go back to scolding us about hating on him by coming up with excuse after excuse about his play and his terrible attitude. But you say "from time to time" he can playmake and do more positives than negatives. TIME TO TIME? For $19 million per year??? :man10:

Yet, as it has been said over and over here, when he gets the ball in the post he gets pushed around. Tried weak flip shots and falls down 5 times more than he tries to dunk the ball. And when he does get the ball in the final minutes of close games and is asked to play make -- he often plays hot potato and panics (see OKC game last year when he passed a wide open 10 footer or lob to Bynum and threw it cross court to Artest for a KD steel and sealed win). The games likle GS are few and far between. He panics under pressure, tries too often to lob to Dwight intead of be aggressive, and missed way to many mid range shots. His offense is not great either -- regardless of any excuse. He doesn't play hard, aggressive, and gritty except for 5% of the time (or when he plays for Spain). Age, injuries, skills are one thing. Heart, hustle, and aggression are another.

So MDA is using his incorrectly according to you. So did Brown? So did Phil? When he consistently gets outplayed by Landry, Manimal, Griffin, Cousins, etc., shrugs after making mistakes, only talks about his offense and touches, fails to reach his season averages in any playoff games over multiple series, and all that continues for a THREE YEAR PERIOD, isn't it time to acknowledge the obvious? Just maybe?
tigerjeterkobe

Postby Congo Cash on Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:24 am

His offense is horrendous, his D is even worse, and gets owned by any hustle bigs... 12/8/4 for 19 mil a game my goodness... Showing up time to time is inexcusable, especially when they are trying to reach the 8th seed, let alone win a championship...

Jordan Hill and Earl Clark has like 1/16 of Pau's talent yet they give 500% of their effort...

Pau should adjust to the system, and not MDA bending over adjusting to him when the rest is fine with it... It's the defense :bang: ... I watched the Heat game and even Norris Cole is attacking the basket...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am

Doc Brown wrote:
revgen wrote:

Seriously.. There's going to be no progress with Pau until he starts focusing on the real issue. Opposing teams grin ear to ear when they see him anchoring the paint. He's reverted back to his soft ways on both sides of the ball. He can't protect the rim, doesn't get back fast enough, gets blown by on a consistent basis.. There's a reason Earl Clark can have a bad offensive game & still get praise. Pau needs to realize his offense isn't what this team needs. Sure, it helps, but he has to be playing 100% on offense to make up for his terrible D. Obviously that Pau doesn't exist anymore, so he needs to focus on effort. He always looks so lazy out there. That's just not going to get it done. I've given up hope on him figuring it out, he still thinks it's about getting touches where he's comfortable.. We need to dump him for anything at this point.. Addition by subtraction.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:34 am

tigerjeterkobe wrote:I guess it needs to be said again. We don't really need his offense as much as we need him not to be invisible on defense and allow lay up after dunk after layup. Dwight goes out, and teams attack attack attack. And even bigs like Cousins totally humiliate him. And then he lets Griffin outrun him down the floor, finish with a dunk, and instead of pointing to himself or getting gritty and upset, he shrugs and acts like Pedro Sorano in Major League II -- "That mun, that was a beautiful dunk. Oh well...."

This.

Maybe if he played like he should be respected, he would be respected. You can only rest on your past accomplishments so much. Everyone says "well Kobe knows best, he won 5 rings" but at the end of the day he's working his *** off for the team and searching for ways to win. When they needed him to play defense, he gave it a shot. When they needed him to score 30 points a night, he's doing that.

Pau on the other hand won't play defense, he won't box out and get boards the right way. When he's given the ball in the post he's not been nearly as effective as in the past. He doesn't play smart on either end like he's capable.

Part of the reason Laker fans are so upset at this guy is because we all know how damn talented he is. We all know he's a champion and a great player. And yet he's the only one left who hasn't made the mental decision to work harder to fit the team. He's doing the things on the court necessary offensively, but he hasn't bought in mentally to what's going on. He half ***es his way around. And that's absolutely unacceptable.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby S.R.05 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:13 am

bystander wrote:Since day 1 Pau is the perfect MDA excuse and he's using it like crazy.

and isnt the opposite true, that since day 1 MDA is the perfect excuse for pau? how about when pau disappeared with phil as his coach? or when he disappeared with mike brown as coach?
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby MC on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 am

tigerjeterkobe - it's one thing for a player to be declining and a complete other thing when a player is just totally being ignored within the framing of your offensive philosophy...........

Brown his first year and MDA now run an offense that needs a stretch 4..... Gasol is not a stretch 4......... so the 2 morons for coaches try and fit a square peg in a round hole and everyone jumps on Gasol? 5that is so laughable it's not even funny............. These 2 idiots never even tried to use Gasol effectively....they are forcing him into a system he does not fit because those 2 idots only know one way of playing basketball................ if that is good coaching than you have no clue what a coaches job is in the first place at this level of ball. This is not college, a coach in the NBA needs to build a philosophy around the roster he is given to be successful............. 1 way coaches are nothing but hacks riding the coat tails of a a a ball dominant player for any success they have......... college ball is about recruiting to a system...... Pro ball a coach is not given long enough time if they aren''t winning right away....that's the difference.

Gasol is declining.......... but he's not as bad as these 2 clowns have made him seem by mis-using him......

Can't wait for them to trade Gasol..... and we KEEP losing behind this MORON and he eventually gets canned so this mess might have a chance to get resolved.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby karacha on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:21 am

It's not like he was playing his best for Phil either.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:31 am

Jordan Hill and Earl Clark are not stretch 4's and have looked better than Pau. So what's the excuse about the offense needing a stretch 4 again?

Or how about we talk about defense, does MDA not run a defense that is good enough for Pau either?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby MC on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:33 am

karatcha - like I said, he's declining but a coach's job is to maximize what a player has. I think we would be disingenuous at best if we were to suggest Brown his first year and MDA now even gave it a go in good fundamental manner. The Best thing Brown ever did was try and bring in the Princeton relative to our roster but of course he got fired because there is more than just moron in this hole operation these days.

But hey, trade Pau, get what MDA needs so all the excuses can disappear than well chat again about this topic.

Some people have to learn the hard way, just because this guy now coaches my favorite team doesn't mean I'm willing to go thru that process without voicing my discontent.
MC

Postby MC on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:38 am

Doc - our biggest issue is TO leading into transition points...... that's all offense.

Yes they are average at best in the half court defensively but average can look a lot worse when you are giving free dunks in transition when it all shakes out.....

Again Gasol has declined but not being used properly......

I didn't realize we were blowing good teams out when Gasol's not out there......... this is garbage for those guys too and the transition defense is no better with or without Gasol..... the high TOs, long rebounds from bad shot selection leading transition opportunities with any combination of bigs out there with or without Gasol in there is this teams biggest and most alarming issue IMO.

There is a reason for that.

But hey trade Gasol, get what he needs and when he gets canned we'll revisit some of our chats Doc. If MDA wins here at some point I'll be more than happy to eat crow but will you when he fails?
MC

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

Gasol and MDA are never going to be on the "same page." It's not happening. He's better coming of the bench, but has Pau indicated he's not open to that. So, your best option is to trade him. Avoid the distraction for the rest of the season by getting rid of him and letting go pout on another team...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 am

Two problems with Pau IMO. Declining play and a team and approach that doesn't complement his style of play. He's still a smart player and can be very valuable to a team. He needs to be the sole post player on a team at this point of his career IMO.

MDA on the other hand..... is a guy that is beholden to a specific system and is inflexible in his approach. In a perfect world we'd have a different coach.... one that can blend the diverse talents together rather than try and hammer them into a system that doesn't fit their talents.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

Postby MC on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:16 am

Rooscooter wrote:Two problems with Pau IMO. Declining play and a team and approach that doesn't complement his style of play. He's still a smart player and can be very valuable to a team. He needs to be the sole post player on a team at this point of his career IMO.

MDA on the other hand..... is a guy that is beholden to a specific system and is inflexible in his approach. In a perfect world we'd have a different coach.... one that can blend the diverse talents together rather than try and hammer them into a system that doesn't fit their talents.

absolutely..... agree 100%
MC

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion