Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby Weezy on Tue May 22, 2012 12:22 am

I just hope we can get at least a couple of decent players for him, his value has to be at an all time low, just hope we didn't wait one season too long to trade him. Considering the offers we heard for him at the trade deadline though, I can't blame the FO for waiting til the offseason to have more time to maybe get something better. Realistic trades for him though, I have no idea, maybe try and re-visit Lowry and Scola, Dragic did really well with Lowry out, wishful thinking maybe, but perhaps they'd give him up.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby BigDan24 on Tue May 22, 2012 12:23 am

If only there were some truth to the rondo rumors and boston would still do it.

But that's obviously pipe...
BigDan24

Postby KB24 on Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 am

At this point I just want him gone. Worry about the return later.

We need to get young and athletic.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby khmrP on Tue May 22, 2012 12:30 am

Pau to Wiz for their pick if not #1/Serapin....Serapin can start at PF next to that big baby Bynum if we dont trade his sloth arse for Howard. Creats a giant TPE can use maybe something, I doubt it. If pick is top 2-5 we can pick up another PF or PG to add dept. Wiz do to pair Nene/Pau, give Wall some fire power to get playoff spot
khmrP

Postby gcclaker on Tue May 29, 2012 10:17 am

SI wrote:Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol would like to play for the Chicago Bulls, Bulls.com’s Sam Smith reports. Smith cites “Lakers insiders” that tell him Gasol wants out of Los Angeles and would like to land in Chicago.

Gasol clashed with Lakers star Kobe Bryant and Lakers management this season, as he put up the worst statistical season of his 11-year NBA career. He finished the season averaging 17.4 points and 10.4 rebounds per game, but he only averaged 12 points on 44 percent shooting in the Lakers’ second-round playoff loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Keep in mind that the Lakers already traded Gasol once, before the 2011 season started, only to have the deal nixed by NBA commissioner David Stern. Gasol trade rumors also floated around near the trade deadline. That, plus his $19 million salary over the next two seasons, are prime reasons the Lakers want to move him.

The question is whether Chicago will get involved and whether the Bulls are prepared to significantly overhaul their roster after a first-round playoff exit at the hand of the Philadelphia 76ers. Smith ponders whether they would:

That, of course, would be if the Bulls decided to start anew and provide a new and different kind of cast to play with Rose. It’s maybe the biggest philosophical question to begin to consider these next few weeks.

Early last week, The Los Angeles Times reported that Gasol got few answers from Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak in his exit interview.

“I wish I could have clarification but they can’t give it to me right now,” Gasol told the paper. “I think management still has to talk to ownership to see what direction this thing will be going next year.”

He did say that if he was back with the Lakers, he hoped for a “much more peaceful year.”
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue May 29, 2012 10:20 am

^ Doesn't Sam Smith create a bunch of BS trade rumors?
XXIV

Postby khmrP on Tue May 29, 2012 10:22 am

^^^yuck, Chi would most defenitely try to pwn off Boozer on us.....hell's no to that even if Deng came along with him.
khmrP

Postby XXIV on Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am

khmrP wrote:^^^yuck, Chi would most defenitely try to pwn off Boozer on us.....hell's to that even if Deng came along with him.

I don't think we'll have to worry about taking on Boozer's contract. The Lakers are trying to cut salary, not adding another horrid contract.
XXIV

Postby jlkr on Tue May 29, 2012 11:06 am

Scnottaken wrote:
J-Dub562 wrote:Mitch has his work cutout for him because it's evident that a move has to be made, and the obvious move is trading Gasol. It's not going to be easy for Mitch to get any kind of quality deal for a guy who has played the way Gasol has played the last two post seasons, and make as much money as he does. I just hope they don't make a "salary dump" type of move where they just get rid of him for a bunch of expiring deals, or a bunch of "nobodies". If they go after a quality trade, the Lakers are going to have to take back a bad contract, but that doesn't bother me if we can somehow get Williams, or a player of that caliber.

Well. . . here comes a TPE we won't use.
I'm kidding, please don't let this happen.

Sorry charlie, there's a TPE coming back for Gasol that the Lakers won't use, just like they won't use the Lamar TPE. They're serious about meeting the cap in time for the new luxury tax scheme. Part of the problem is that they will be labeled a repeat offender under the new CBA and that carries a additional penalty tax of $1 for every $1 above the threshold. This penalty is in addition to the progressive tax scheme.

I have shown before that had the Lakers retained an $87m payroll for the 2013-14 season that they would be liable for $43m in luxury taxes including the penalty. As opposed to the $17m they would pay now. So salary will be shed this summer, no two ways about that. The hope of course is that Mitch pulls off the shedding and still keeps the Lakers very competitive. So Gasol is definitely gone. Just a matter of getting reasonable pieces plus TPE back for him.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby JUST-MING on Tue May 29, 2012 2:11 pm

gcclaker wrote:
SI wrote:Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol would like to play for the Chicago Bulls, Bulls.com’s Sam Smith reports. Smith cites “Lakers insiders” that tell him Gasol wants out of Los Angeles, and would like to land in Chicago.

Pau Gasol clashed with Lakers star Kobe Bryant and Lakers management this season, as he put up the worst statistical season of his 11-year NBA career. He finished the season averaging 17.4 points and 10.4 rebounds per game, but he only averaged 12 points on 44 percent shooting in the Lakers’ second-round playoff loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Keep in mind that the Lakers have already traded Gasol once before the 2011 season started, only to have the deal nixed by NBA commissioner David Stern. Gasol trade rumors also floated around near the trade deadline. That, plus his $19 million salary over the next two seasons, are prime reasons the Lakers want to move him.

The question is whether Chicago will get involved and whether the Bulls are prepared to significantly overhaul their roster after a first-round playoff exit at the hand of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Smith ponders whether they would:

That, of course, would be if the Bulls decided to start anew and provide a new and different kind of cast to play with Rose. It’s maybe the biggest philosophical question to begin to consider these next few weeks.

Early last week, The Los Angeles Times reported that Gasol received a few answers from the Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak in his exit interview.

“I wish I could have clarification but they can’t give it to me right now,” Gasol told a paper. “I think management still has to talk to ownership to see what direction this thing will be going next year.”

He did say that if he was back with the Lakers, he hoped for a “much more peaceful year.”

That could definitely give Chicago a different look with Gasol at Center. Considering the field in the East. The Chicago Bulls recently held the Orlando Magic to a team record 59 points with Carlos Boozer.
JUST-MING

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion (fork. stick. done)

Postby NWLakerfan on Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 am

John3:16 wrote:
NWLakerfan wrote:DOUBLE DING!!!

Pau has been great (for the most part) since we got him, but SOOOOOOOOOO tired of his psyche having to
be massaged constantly, ESPECIALLY during a playoff run... Holy cow man... GROW SOME BALLS... Definitely time to get whatever we can for him in the offseason and transition this team from full on Kobe to Drew in the near future...

Good seeing you bro. You've been away far too long.

Do the people of Seattle still root for the Thunder or did they jump ship?

What's up man? Good to hear from you too....

MOST people up here hate the Sonics, errrr, Thunder... But mostly has to do with ownership and not the players... Have a couple people here and there at the two bars I work at "all of a sudden" rooting for OKC though ("it's still the Sonics to me")... Buncha crap if you ask me, but hey, whatever floats their boat... Doesn't really matter now though, since the Spurs are gonna roll their a**..
LAKERS FOR LIFE!!!
NWLakerfan

Postby The Rock on Wed May 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Just came across this from a trade deadline article. This makes it even damn harder to move Pau.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/14/sports/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20120314

Gasol is increasingly likely to stay with the Lakers until at least this summer. Making him somewhat hard to move is a 15% trade kicker in a contract that already pays $38.3 million over the next two seasons. If traded, Gasol would make $21.9 next season instead of $19 million.

The next team to take on Pau has to pay him $22 mil next year. Darnit who would want that

EDIT:

Looks like it wont be a full $2.9 mil but there will be some more money added to the $19 mil

Gasol has two years remaining on his contract, which does contain a trade kicker, but because he's at his maximum salary the raise would be minimal.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wolfson_Dont_be_surprised_if_the_Timberwolves_trade_for_Pau_Gasol052312

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Wed May 30, 2012 10:19 pm

^ It's going to have to be a team that wants to make a playoff push or one that needs salary in order to meet the league minimum. Either way it's going to be tough.
XXIV

Postby khmrP on Thu May 31, 2012 8:27 am

The Rock wrote:Just came across this from a trade deadline article. This makes it even damn harder to move Pau.

Gasol is increasingly likely to stay with the Lakers until at least this summer. Making him somewhat hard to move is a 15% trade kicker in a contract that already pays $38.3 million over the next two seasons. If traded, Gasol would make $21.9 next season instead of $19 million.

The next team to take on Pau has to pay him $22 mil next year. Darnit who would want that

EDIT:

Looks like it wont be a full $2.9 mil but there will be some more money added to the $19 mil

Gasol has two years remaining on his contract, which does contain a trade kicker, but because he's at his maximum salary the raise would be minimal.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Wolfson_Dont_be_surprised_if_the_Timberwolves_trade_for_Pau_Gasol052312

and yet we still have delusional fans here who want the nothing short of the kitchen sink for him.
khmrP

Postby lakersStan24 on Thu May 31, 2012 8:35 am

khmrP wrote:
The Rock wrote:Just came across this from a trade deadline article. This makes it even damn harder to move Pau.

EDIT:

and yet we still have delusional fans here who want the nothing short of the kitchen sink for him.

Well He is a Great Player & We HAVE To Get Somethin Great in Return
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby khmrP on Thu May 31, 2012 8:47 am

^^^32 yrs old and declining making $20mill/yr for next 2 years.....take that in and curb some of that expectation and NO he is not GREAT, he is good at best these days.
Last edited by khmrP on Thu May 31, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:00 am

XXIV wrote:^ It's going to have to be a team that wants to make a playoff push or one that needs salary in order to meet the league minimum. Either way it's going to be tough.

I think a team like Toronto could fit the bill:

Bryan Colangelo may be interested in trading Toronto’s lottery pick in next month’s draft in order to bring some proven talent to his roster.

“Obviously if there’s a transaction that warrants moving the pick, we’ll consider that but we’re not actively shopping it,” Colangelo said after league’s draft lottery.

“It’s all going to be a matter of what’s on the board and as you know, the $12 million of flexibility that we have … gives us some options to take on contract,” he said. “It may be committing some or all of the cap space moving forward. We would consider doing that and if it was the right player, a player of a significant caliber, then we would obviously consider upping the ante by including the pick if necessary.”

The Raptors are slotted to pick eighth in the draft.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:06 am

^^^ we'd be lucky to get the 8th pick for Gasol.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoatMilk16 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 am

maybe a 3 team deal with Nets and Raps involving the 8th pick going to Brooklyn
GoatMilk16

Postby bystander on Thu May 31, 2012 10:42 am

John3:16 wrote:^^^ we'd be lucky to get the 8th pick for Gasol.

pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:04 pm

Amir Johnson/DeRozan/8th Pick for Pau :jam2:

Hill and Johnson will share the minutes at the 4. DeRozan gives us a good backup for Kobe. And draft a PG. Try to trade Blake or amnesty him and we're good to go. Would still need to address the outsideshooting situtation...
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu May 31, 2012 12:14 pm

John3:16 wrote:^^^ we'd be lucky to get the 8th pick for Gasol.

I normally agree with you, John..I would say that the top 4 or even 5 picks would be tough to acquire for Pau. But the 8th pick should be entirely doable...at least I would like to think so.

Pau was a no show 2 postseason's ago, but the excuse at that point (and rightfully so) was that his engagement was broken off. Then there was this postseason where Coach Brown's offense may have hurt Pau and his comfort level. But I think the biggest thing is that Pau no longer has to answer to Kobe. He can be in a more lenient environment surrounded by players that will look to him in moving forward.

You have Pau in the paint with a PG he will have great familiarity by playing with him in the Olympic games this summer. You have Bargnani, who will be on the perimeter like Pau was in Brown's offense and this will allow everything to go through Pau in the paint. Also Pau IMHO is the best big man passer in the game. I think Colangelo would love to bring in a player like Pau, who like Calderon, has only 2 season remaining.

The Nets may be a team building for the future. Boston may also be in the same position building around Rondo as KG, Ray and Pierce could be moved. Philly is also ready to make changes this summer. NY still has to prove that they are a legit title contender. So that division is wide open and Toronto could make a move in that division by bringing in Pau.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby bystander on Thu May 31, 2012 12:45 pm

Pau was a no show 2 postseason's ago, but the excuse at that point (and rightfully so) was that his engagement was broken off.

I don't know what the hell happened to Pau 2 years ago, but FWIW his girlfriend was with Pau's mother in Staples in G2 vs Dallas and they both were seen together during the summer after Lakers got crushed by the Mavs. So that wasn't the reason he sucked hard.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby VincentTH on Thu May 31, 2012 12:54 pm

bystander wrote:
Pau was a no show 2 postseason's ago, but the excuse at that point (and rightfully so) was that his engagement was broken off.

I don't know what the hell happened to Pau 2 years ago, but FWIW his girlfriend was with Pau's mother in Staples in G2 vs Dallas and they both were seen together during the summer after Lakers got crushed by the Mavs. So that wasn't the reason he sucked hard.

Pau just got hurt last year. I remember he had an ankle sprain during the last few games of the regular season. I dont' know why people can't accept that fact as the reason for him sucking last year.

This year? The reason is Brown's offense. Fire the Coach!!!!
VincentTH

Postby dj vitus on Thu May 31, 2012 6:10 pm

I think Pau's best excuse is having to play outside more with Bynum clogging the middle.

Most GMs probably see that and know that, so he still has value, especially with teams that need inside scoring and Championship experience.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion