Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 am

For Noah and Deng! C'mon Bulls
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby noobiew on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:48 am

I also think Gasol's getting moved though, Lakers need to get more shooting and athleticism, he just doesn't fit in D'Antoni offense since Howard will be our main main operates around the paint and we have too many low post players right now.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:15 pm

A lot of people (in this forum & on twitter -even some reporters) think we'll be trading Pau, and not that much later. Everyone's citing that "two post players won't work" with MDA, that we need "shooters & athleticism", and I kinda agree.
Pau's better years are behind him, he's way too expensive, and has been a weak link on D so far this season and really not that effective on O (especially shooting).
If the right deal came along, I would trade him without hesitation. So, my question is, what's the right deal for Pau? Ideas?

No to Josh Smith btw.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby bystander on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Gasol for 1 player would be a bad trade for the Lakers. If traded Pau has to become a pack of a shooter and a athletic wing player. Jamison and Hill as PFs should be enough, with Hill starting. MWP to the bench.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby XXIV on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 pm

bystander wrote:Gasol for 1 player would be a bad trade for the Lakers. If traded Pau has to become a pack of a shooter and a athletic wing player. Jamison and Hill as PFs should be enough, with Hill starting. MWP to the bench.

Yea there's no way we trade Pau for one player, but we also don't have room with out 15 player roster. We'd likely have to package one of our second year players (I don't mind this).
XXIV

Postby gill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:39 pm

Caller on Mason and Ireland wants Gasol for Bargnani... as a guy who's seen tons of Raptors game out here... you don't want him. Guy is allergic to rebounds and does not hustle.

STAY AWAY!
gill

Postby lakersyunowin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 pm

gill wrote:Caller on Mason and Ireland wants Gasol for Bargnani... as a guy who's seen tons of Raptors game out here... you don't want him. Guy is allergic to rebounds and does not hustle.

STAY AWAY!

i just heard that and laughed. what a terrible idea.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby ThaEntrepreneur on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Pau for Josh Smith. I'd do that in "7 seconds" :jam2:
ThaEntrepreneur

Postby XXIV on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 pm

gill wrote:Caller on Mason and Ireland wants Gasol for Bargnani... as a guy who's seen tons of Raptors game out here... you don't want him. Guy is allergic to rebounds and does not hustle.

STAY AWAY!

As a guy who has seen very few Raptors games, I have the same opinion. :man12:
XXIV

Postby XXIV on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm

ThaEntrepreneur wrote:Pau for Josh Smith. I'd do that in "7 seconds" :jam2:

Horrible trade for us, we need shooters and players with high IQs. He's neither.
XXIV

Postby ThaEntrepreneur on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm

fkmikebrown wrote:

STAY AWAY!

i just heard that and laughed. what a terrible idea.

Agreed. We need an athlete ala a Marion or an Amare Stoudamire. I'd say that Josh Smith would be the best fit. Rumor out of Atlanta is that Danny Ferry is trying to dump him...
ThaEntrepreneur

Postby ThaEntrepreneur on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm

XXIV wrote:

Horrible trade for us, we need shooters and players with high IQs. He's neither.

And who would you suggest??
ThaEntrepreneur

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:43 pm

Varejao/Gibson/Gee

Smith/Korver/Morrow
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm

ThaEntrepreneur wrote:
XXIV wrote:

Someone else mentioned Pau for Monta and Ilyasova. Both players can shoot the 3 ball, and having Monta come of the bench will increase our bench production. I'm not sure if the Bucks would do that trade but I'd definitely have them both than Josh Smith.
XXIV

Postby gill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Anyone who says Amare for Pau get's this: :lol:
gill

Postby ThaEntrepreneur on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:54 pm

XXIV wrote:
ThaEntrepreneur wrote:
XXIV wrote:

Someone else mentioned Pau for Monta and Ilyasova. Both players can shoot the 3 ball, and having Monta come of the bench will increase our bench production. I'm not sure if the Bucks would do that trade but I'd definitely have them both than Josh Smith.

Not a bad idea. Not sure if they'd give up Monta though. Therem is already a logjam in their frontcourt too, with Henson, Upoh, Sanders, and Dalembert. Maybe Ellis and Henson/Udoh for Gasol? Good idea though.
ThaEntrepreneur

Postby thkthebest on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Ugh, I'd hate to see Pau traded. If he does get traded though, you don't trade him now when his value is low. You trade him a bit later in the season when Nash + Mike D'Antoni + fast-paced offense inflate Pau's numbers.

Edit: I don't think he's going to be traded though. :)
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Dfishman on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 pm

easyguy wrote:I have mixed feelings about Pau, sometimes he's lazy and slow as a slug, but other times, he can take over a game with all of his skills.

I have to go deep into the memory bank on that one. Feels like it's been ages since Pau took over a game.
Dfishman

Postby bystander on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:20 am

Dfishman wrote:
easyguy wrote:I have mixed feelings about Pau, sometimes he's lazy and slow as a slug, but other times, he can take over a game with all of his skills.

I have to go deep into the memory bank on that one. Feels like it's been ages since Pau took over a game.

Gold medal game he outscored the entire Team USA in the minutes he played in the third quarter. 13-11 or something like that over 10 minutes. Can't remember the exact data.

Aside his D his only problem in offense is that he has to play out of position. It's pretty clear now that at this stage of his career he plays better on Offense as a Center.
pearl jam - little wing/maggot brain

best 9:30 minutes of music of all time
bystander

Postby Punk-101 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:45 am

I'm pretty clueless as an Xs and Os guy in terms of how specific offenses work, so maybe someone can spell out the specifics. We know MDA uses some "euro-sets" on offense. We know Pau plays like a different player with Spain. Does MDA bring out that Pau with his "euro-sets"?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am

bystander wrote:
Dfishman wrote:

Gold medal game he outscored the entire Team USA in the minutes he played in the third quarter. 13-11 or something like that over 10 minutes. Can't remember the exact data.

Aside his D his only problem in offense is that he has to play out of position. It's pretty clear now that at this stage of his career he plays better on Offense as a Center.

Olympic Pau and NBA Pau are two very different players.
XXIV

Postby 008 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:48 am

I just wish Pau would stop shooting loooong jumpers and his occasional 3's.

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am

Punk-101 wrote:I'm pretty clueless as an Xs and Os guy in terms of how specific offenses work, so maybe someone can spell out the specifics. We know MDA uses some "euro-sets" on offense. We know Pau plays like a different player with Spain. Does MDA bring out that Pau with his "euro-sets"?

I dont know specifics either but if the sets aren't adjusted, you can just imagine Pau playing the Channing Frye role and or the Tim Thomas type guy, he's gona be playing even further from the basket on a more constant basis, not good. Maybe it was his personnel but I never say any type of post up game out of Pho offense during his era or after when Gentry still kept the same O. I guess Gortat post up here and there but he gets alot of his pts from Pick and Pop/roll.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:50 am

008 wrote:I just wish Pau would stop shooting loooong jumpers and his occasional 3's.

highly doubt this is changing with Antoni offense.
khmrP

Postby 008 on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am

Pau = Boris 2.0

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion