Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: $19,000,000 sixth man

Postby khmrP on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:41 am

he didn't even seem all to excited bout his performance last nite.
khmrP

Postby khmrP on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:42 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:i hope this game finally shut up the people who want to trade pau for Dwill and pek. those guys are garbage. only 1 guy to trade pau for on that team and we know who it is. ps he didn't play last night.

ps be realistic, Minn not retarted

There is already a report that Pek/Williams was offered for Gasol.

retarted indeed.

talking bout his hint hint player that we should get instead of pek/williams
khmrP

Postby last stand on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:12 am

Well pek and Williams wouldn't be for us, they'd be for atlanta :man12:
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 am

MINNEAPOLIS -- It was a come-full-circle kind of day for Pau Gasol.

It was five years ago Friday that Gasol was traded from the Memphis Grizzlies to the Los Angeles Lakers -- a tenure with the team that has included three All-Star appearances, three trips to the Finals and two NBA titles -- and yet Gasol needed Dwight Howard's latest injury just to crack the starting lineup again.

I know, the Oscars are this month, but forget " Life of Pi" and consider Life of Pau.

With Howard out indefinitely (he's listed as day-to-day, but earlier in the season Steve Blake got platelet-rich plasma therapy from the same Dr. Steven Yoon whom Howard is going to see Saturday and Blake was told the PRP takes seven to 10 days to kick in), Gasol will be asked to start regularly. He'll have the offense run through him again in the post both early (13 points in the first quarter in the Lakers' 111-100 win over Minnesota on Friday) and late (nine points in the fourth, including five in a row after the Timberwolves had cut the Lakers' 29-point lead down to just four). He'll be the team's primary focus on the block for the first time since Phil Jackson was the coach.

And his reward will be either going back to the bench when Howard returns or maybe even boosting his trade stock at the perfect time with the Feb. 21 deal deadline fast approaching.

Now, you could say the $19 million salary Gasol is raking in this season should be reward enough, but the point is the guy who wears No. 16 for the Lakers is in a classic catch-22 situation.

The juxtaposition of what he can still be -- a starting center who put up 22 points, 12 rebounds and three blocks against the Wolves while showing the soft shooting stroke to allow him to go 5-for-5 on free throws and 1-for-1 from 3-point range -- was strikingly apparent against what he is: a 32-year-old in his 12th season who says he's playing through a pain level of 6 to 7 in his knees because of tendinitis, and 7 to 8 in his right foot because of fasciitis and who scored 20 or more points for just the third time in 34 games played this season.

"It's been a rough, rough season so far," Gasol said after the Lakers' victory brought the team to a 21-26 record and gave L.A. its first road victory of 2013. The Lakers had gone 0-8 since last winning a game away from Staples Center, against Golden State on Dec. 22. "There's no way around it. But you just stay with it, keep playing. You never know when things can change direction and you just got to just play your game when you're out there. Tonight, I was able to start, play more minutes, get a good flow, and it was a good game."

Gasol said starting felt "like the good, old days," and Kobe Bryant made it sound as if those days never left.

"Nothing that Laker fans haven't seen for the past five years," Bryant said. "Honestly, it's not like a big deal. When he's featured, this is what he does. It's nothing out of the ordinary. It's not anything that's unexpected. This is the Pau that helped us get back-to-back championships."

Metta World Peace, who won one of those rings with Gasol, didn't want to make a big deal of it either.

"Pau went to the championship three years in a row, I mean, come on," World Peace said. "If he plays great, I'm not like, 'Wow.'"

However, before the Lakers embarked on their seven-game road trip, Gasol had a moment that made many people go 'Wow,' when he openly griped about being benched in the fourth quarter, even though the Lakers won their game against the New Orleans Hornets.

That night, Gasol played as effectively as he can -- seven points, seven rebounds and seven assists as he racked up a plus-21 in 21 minutes -- and he didn't play in the fourth quarter as the Hornets cut the Lakers' 18-point lead to one, because coach Mike D'Antoni decided he liked the feel of Antawn Jamison out there running more of the spread offense he's used to rather than trying to find a way to play Gasol and Howard at the same time.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Index. Blog

It was tough to see, Gasol barely batting an eyelash while his teammates went crazy with celebration on the bench around him when Steve Nash hit a late bucket to seal the game against the Hornets. That's not the guy he is. That's not what he's all about.

D'Antoni said at Friday's shootaround that he doesn't have any personality conflict with Gasol and that he likes him, but it's apparent the coach and the player see Gasol's game dramatically different. To D'Antoni, Gasol is a highly skilled center who can flourish as the lone post guy in his system -- but that leaves him as a backup in L.A. because the coach and the team's priority is to play Howard No. 1 to keep him happy on offense so that Howard brings the defensive effort he's capable of and also to keep him engaged so he'll want to re-sign with the Lakers in the offseason. Meanwhile, Gasol looks at himself as a world-class player, one who nearly single-handedly led a Spain upset of USA Basketball's Hall of Fame-laden roster in the gold-medal game at the Olympics last summer.

He'll get back to being that guy for the time being. Nash said after the game that Gasol is "going to have a more central role," but everyone involved knows that will change to become more fringe when L.A.'s other center returns from his shoulder injury.

Yes, it felt like the good old days for Pau Gasol on Friday.

But, with the way the Lakers are set up right now, it's hard to see too many more good new days coming down the pike featuring Gasol. Happy anniversary, indeed.

The story was written by Dave Mcmenamin. Link: http://espn.go.com/losangeles/nba/story ... s-be-court
dwighthowardsdad

Postby borri on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:36 pm

Pau was great offensively last night. Defensively...well.

1. Second quarter or first....AK47 pump fakes Clark at the 3 pt line. Clark bites. AK47 drives to the lane. Pau sees him at when he reaches the FT line. Pau instinctively chooses to box out Pek clearing the lane. Literally, he cleared the lane by moving backwards to box out Pek. Slam dunk. :man3:
borri

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:32 pm

Imho the Lakers are riding the season out with pau. We will hopefully be able to trade estanks & doodoohon for something & use injured play exemption for a big.
the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby ThizGuy83 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:39 pm

a motivated pau gasol... hes a keeper!!! but an unmotivated gasol.... find a way to trade him away...
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby hollywood swinger on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:43 pm

khmrP wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:i hope this game finally shut up the people who want to trade pau for Dwill and pek. those guys are garbage. only 1 guy to trade pau for on that team and we know who it is. ps he didn't play last night.

yea but at some point they are gonna have to have a get real moment about k love like we did and are with Gasol. all signs point to that being a logical trade. he is gonna force his way here by all indications and pau is sounding less and less hell bent on being a laker imo.
hollywood swinger

Postby khmrP on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 pm

hollywood swinger wrote:
khmrP wrote:

yea but at some point they are gonna have to have a get real moment about k love like we did and are with Gasol. all signs point to that being a logical trade. he is gonna force his way here by all indications and pau is sounding less and less hell bent on being a laker imo.

what indication has Love given that he wants to come here? He's hinted at leaving Minn but LA was not even in his comments.
khmrP

Postby 432J on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:06 pm

^
who wouldn't want to play in LA?
432J

Postby LakerFanIam on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:10 pm

MDA on Pau.
D’Antoni offered a way for Gasol to get over the disappointment of getting shuffled in and out of the Lakers’ starting lineup.
“Pay him $19 million. I think that should help,” D’Antoni said, smiling.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/02/02/gasol-dantoni-sniping-suggests-move/?ls=iref:nbahpt6d
LakerFanIam

Postby Center Court on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:21 pm

LakerFanIam wrote:MDA on Pau.
D’Antoni offered a way for Gasol to get over the disappointment of getting shuffled in and out of the Lakers’ starting lineup.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/02/02/gasol-dantoni-sniping-suggests-move/?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

not sure Pau is going to appreciate MDA's sarcasm
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 am

I really don't give a damn about what Pau thinks as far as MDA.

In a weird twisted way, MDA was the best thing to happen to him. He's played better under D'Antoni than he has since the 2011 regular season for Phil.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:55 am

Center Court wrote:
LakerFanIam wrote:MDA on Pau.

not sure Pau is going to appreciate MDA's sarcasm

I don't care if Pau appreciates it or not, MDA is right. Pau has NOT performed well enough this season, not in terms of what's expected of him given his skillset, experience and his salary. What's worse is that lately he's been complaining to the media about coaching decisions made because of that very fact. MDA is right to "call him out", and I hope that shuts Pau up for a while
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 am

Real- I have to agree. I actually like how MDA is handling Pau. With the exception of Kobe I have seen him pretty much do what he feels is best for the team including sitting players. Pau isn't a 100% and I think is masking that behind all this b*****ng. He has played great this last week or so. Keep that up and you may be a Champion again Pau.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby DHL on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:58 am

reminder of how pau used to play

Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 am

Pau not stepping up to get a hand up and contest when a player is around the restricted area is what drives me crazy ... he stays under the basket and give up a free lay up/floater/bank shot ...

Looks like he doesn't care AND is way too slow to react and help hard ... perfect example is the GW layup by Beasley
wcsoldier81

Postby Alexxander on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:06 am

DHL wrote:reminder of how pau used to play

Watching these videos I can't help but think how much chemistry, passion and fire was there with this team ... I don't see this now.
Alexxander

Postby M2K on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:24 am

M2K

Postby M2K on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:24 am

M2K

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:34 am

M2K wrote:

Agree that those two aren't great, but it would be more than that and help us dump Ebanks, Morris, Blake or Duhon if a 3rd team were involved.

If Barea, Buddinger, Cunningham or Sved were included, it gets better, and if Pek or Williams and a piece were flipped forsomeone like Mathews, Stuckey, Lowry, Mayo, etc., and a 2nd rounder from Minny we packaged with Blake or Duhon/Ebanks to get a guy like Ariza, Sessions, Ellington, Korver, etc.

You could turn Gasol into a whole new bench that has speed, defenders, guys with playoff experience, and who mesh with the startes. Like

Barea or Sessions or Lowry (Tor still needs to get rid of hims since he won't re-sign there)
Mathews or Sved or Stucky
Ellington or Ariza or Korver
Williams or Cunningham

With Hill out this year, a back up for Dwight would still be needed. But Martin, Sacre, Clark and a filler could do since Gasol gives us no real rim protection or tough rebounding either.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:40 am

I don't think Love is the only player they have that could help us more than Pau. AK & Barea are 2 guys that could improve this team dramatically. Dwill2 doesn't interest me at all & I can't see us taking Pek knowing we have to let him get overpaid & walk in the offseason. I could see Pek being shipped to a 3rd team that sends Minne something they want & us a backup C. Maybe something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=besokax

I'd be all over that.
lakersin4

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 am

khmrP wrote:
hollywood swinger wrote:
khmrP wrote:

what indication has Love given that he wants to come here? He's hinted at leaving Minn but LA was not even in his comments.

your right K.Love doesn't want to play for the Lakers
hollywood swinger

Postby Ariza68 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 pm

Today's scavengers' gathering hasn't started yet, uh?
Ariza68

Postby therealdeal on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 pm

lakersin4 wrote:

I don't think Love is the only player they have that could help us more than Pau. AK & Barea are 2 guys that could improve this team dramatically. Dwill2 doesn't interest me at all & I can't see us taking Pek knowing we have to let him get overpaid & walk in the offseason. I could see Pek being shipped to a 3rd team that sends Minne something they want & us a backup C. Maybe something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=besokax

I'd be all over that.

Of course you would. :man10:

But why would Minnesota give up both Pekovic AND Kirilenko for Gasol? Not to mention Barea?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion