Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: back starting tonight (12/18) - pg241

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 am

That quote from MDA tells me all I need to know...even with Nash, I think he'll be moved.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:36 am

MDA conception of the offense is so garbage ... inside out B-Ball has won titles forever
wcsoldier81

Postby gcclaker on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 am

I'm disappointed that D'Antoni CAN'T or WON'T adjust his schemes to fit the squad's talent. He insists on FORCING it on the players not recognizing what their particular skill sets are. I don't see Gasol EVER fitting in or being utilized properly.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby easyguy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:42 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:That quote from MDA tells me all I need to know...even with Nash, I think he'll be moved.

I'm a big Pau supporter, but even if we did move Pau, this type of offense will not win us a title. We have two of the elite bigs in the middle yet we dont pound it inside. It is hard for the other team to run and gun when they are fighting for the rebound, instead of the long rebounds they have been getting.

At first I wanted to give D'Tony a chance, but it is becoming clearer, we cannot win with this guy.
easyguy

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:44 am

The coaching does not fit the personnel. Oh well. Don't know why the FO was hell bent on a guy who has never sniffed the Finals and is basically inflexible. Was it too much to ask to look around at a number of qualified candidates? I guess it was.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:48 am

I'm not sold on Gasol and the corner 3. Mid-range shooting perhaps, but extending him to the 3pt line... uhh... Sure, Pau is extremely versatile, but come on. High post when playing with Dwight, make him your secondary facilitator, after Nash. As soon as Dwight goes out, play him at the 5 and park him in the low post.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:49 am

Lakerjones wrote:The coaching does not fit the personnel. Oh well. Don't know why the FO was hell bent on a guy who has never sniffed the Finals and is basically inflexible. Was it too much to ask to look around at a number of qualified candidates? I guess it was.

key word: inflexible. :mad1:
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:54 am

gcclaker wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:The coaching does not fit the personnel. Oh well. Don't know why the FO was hell bent on a guy who has never sniffed the Finals and is basically inflexible. Was it too much to ask to look around at a number of qualified candidates? I guess it was.

He's not unlike Brown in that way. I'm seeing some of the same kind of issues. Albeit, I think he's a better coach in general. But the inflexibility again is maddening. Also the complete lack of care or ability to deal with one side of the game - offense for Brown, defense for no D Antoni.

Whatever, let's see what happens when Nash gets back since he's the savior for Antoni.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:00 am

easyguy wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:That quote from MDA tells me all I need to know...even with Nash, I think he'll be moved.

I'm a big Pau supporter, but even if we did move Pau, this type of offense will not win us a title. We have two of the elite bigs in the middle yet we dont pound it inside. It is hard for the other team to run and gun when they are fighting for the rebound, instead of the long rebounds they have been getting.

At first I wanted to give D'Tony a chance, but it is becoming clearer, we cannot win with this guy.

Quite frankly, I've been critical of Pau. He played well yesterday; although he looked rusty, that will come just with being on the court and working himself back into game shape. Now, last year, he didn't fit with Bynum. He needed to operate in the paint but sacrificed his own game so Bynum can flourish into an All-Star.

In fact, even before that, Bynum and Pau didn't play that much together for two reasons; Bynum was injured and Odom-Pau was a better combination. Phil recognized that. I don't think it's as much the system as in we have too many players who require playing in the post. Metta, Dwight, Kobe, Pau, all can play on the block.

Right now, Kobe's not doing it as much; however, with Dwight still occupying the paint and requiring touches, Pau is left 15-20 feet out from the rim. Pau doesn't fit well with Dwight. Will that change with Nash? It could, but I don't think it's going to make such a difference in that he won't be moved.

We need more floor balance. A solid, athletic, SF and depth for this bench. If Pau is moved, I believe Mitch will make the right decisions to make sure it's for players who provide floor balance and fit this system. The system and coach can be critictized. However, with Pau, we have to see how he it goes with Nash for the next 8 weeks until the FO has a decision to make.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 am

Lakerjones wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

He's not unlike Brown in that way. I'm seeing some of the same kind of issues. Albeit, I think he's a better coach in general. But the inflexibility again is maddening. Also the complete lack of care or ability to deal with one side of the game - offense for Brown, defense for no D Antoni.

Whatever, let's see what happens when Nash gets back since he's the savior for Antoni.

Yep .. I actually think he's worse than Brown based on what he has done so far ... he's even more terrible at managing minutes and the way he wants us to play is just totally wrong
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:05 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:MDA conception of the offense is so garbage ... inside out B-Ball has won titles forever

not for the last 2 champs...but seriously the two bigs are not a good fit at all for this Offensive mentality that Antoni has :bang:
khmrP

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:13 am

khmrP wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:MDA conception of the offense is so garbage ... inside out B-Ball has won titles forever

not for the last 2 champs...but seriously the two bigs are not a good fit at all for this Offensive mentality that Antoni has :bang:

I agree the "winning recipy" has changed these past 2 seasons but don't underestimate Lebron posting up in Miami title ... even if Brooks made it easier by putting Harden on it ..

Thing is we would have to make a lot of changes to be a real title contender playing small ball ... more bad results are coming playing that style with the current roster
wcsoldier81

Postby Greatest of All Time on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:14 am

The Knicks use D'Antoni's system with Carmela Anthony posting up. The Lakers should do it with Pau Gasol.
Greatest of All Time

Postby mister anakin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:32 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:
gcclaker wrote:

Yep .. I actually think he's worse than Brown based on what he has done so far ... he's even more terrible at managing minutes and the way he wants us to play is just totally wrong

C´mon, It´s definitely too soon to tell. MDA is a solid coach that has revolutionized the way nba teams play offense. He may not be a winner like PJ (I also wanted PJ on board, don´t get me wrong), but he surely has enough skills to coach a team like LAL.

Another thing. How can we question his minutes and rotation since he doesn´t even had trainning camp or pre-season to learn about his players, implement his strategies and ajust? He´s supposed to do all of that on the fly, and that comes with some challenges. In the process of building the team, some adjustments may be required and even some losses be expected, no matter we like it or not.

Let´s give him an uninjuried team and a full season... Then we start rock-trowing...
Last edited by mister anakin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mister anakin

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:34 am

mister anakin wrote:Let´s give him an uninjuried team and a full season... Then we start rock-trowing...

yea but do you really think having Pau stand in the corner to shoot 3's is really playing to his strength? :man10:
khmrP

Postby mister anakin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:41 am

khmrP wrote:
mister anakin wrote:Let´s give him an uninjuried team and a full season... Then we start rock-trowing...

yea but do you really think having Pau stand in the corner to shoot 3's is really playing to his strength? :man10:

No, of course I don´t.
I still think he´s the one to lead our second unit and do his job in the paint, where he belongs. If he could adjust to play with Dwight, even better.
mister anakin

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:44 am

mister anakin wrote:
khmrP wrote:

No, of course I don´t.
I still think he´s the one to lead our second unit and do his job in the paint, where he belongs. If he could adjust to play with Dwight, even better.

well then, you can see why some may have issues with Antoni :man10:
khmrP

Postby mister anakin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 pm

khmrP wrote:
mister anakin wrote:
khmrP wrote:

No, of course I don´t.

well then, you can see why some may have issues with Antoni :man10:

I see your point, I just think it´s way too soon for that. I don´t actualy believe MDA wants PG to play that far form the basket, since he´s a smart guy and a good coach. They will both adjust, I believe.

If time prove me wrong, I´ll bring the first rock... :man9:
mister anakin

Postby The Rock on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:04 pm

How about Pau show that he can post up when hes the only big man on the court and then we can determine whether he can post up with Dwight on the floor or not? Listen when you're not doing the easier tasks well you're not gonna get your way when there are more important pieces on the floor.

Pau had trouble scoring in the post when Lamar was around in 2011. Pau was effective from time to time last year with Bynum around but again when he was the primary C with the 2nd unit didnt play well, hes having the same issues now. hes the common factor. How many more adjustments needs to be made for this guy? 3 diferent head coaches, 3 different frontcourt teammates and yet hes still struggling, hes the problem

There was plenty of evidence from the 2011 playoffs alone to see even when hes posted up as a primary scoring option he cant be relied on. Its time for him to stick to doing what he does best these days...rebound, shoot free throws and pass because right now you're getting WIDE OPEN 10 to 12 foot looks and you cant even convert them and you cant even post up when you're with the 2nd unit. There are opportunities for you to be effective and play to your strengths and you're not doing that

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby khmrP on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:10 pm

^^^no matter how ineffective Pau is anywhere on the floor, the last place I want him to be is in the corners shootings 3's.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:15 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^no matter how ineffective Pau is anywhere on the floor, the last place I want him to be is in the corners shootings 3's.

agreed but hes not even shooting well when hes getting closer looks to the basket

http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?name=Pau%20Gasol

23% FG from 3 to 9 feet, 17% from 10 to 15 feet

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm

The Rock wrote:How about Pau show that he can post up when hes the only big man on the court and then we can determine whether he can post up with Dwight on the floor or not? Listen when you're not doing the easier tasks well you're not gonna get your way when there are more important pieces on the floor.

Pau had trouble scoring in the post when Lamar was around in 2011. Pau was effective from time to time last year with Bynum around but again when he was the primary C with the 2nd unit didnt play well, hes having the same issues now. hes the common factor. How many more adjustments needs to be made for this guy? 3 diferent head coaches, 3 different frontcourt teammates and yet hes still struggling, hes the problem

There was plenty of evidence from the 2011 playoffs alone to see even when hes posted up as a primary scoring option he cant be relied on. Its time for him to stick to doing what he does best these days...rebound, shoot free throws and pass because right now you're getting WIDE OPEN 10 to 12 foot looks and you cant even convert them and you cant even post up when you're with the 2nd unit. There are opportunities for you to be effective and play to your strengths and you're not doing that

yes the 2011 playoffs were bad, im not arguing that, and pau did disappear, but thats the playoffs, he did fin the the regular season even with bynum as the main go to guy. and bynum was in 2011 he was the 2nd scoring option and pau was the 3rd, and look how that happened, and im not giving pau any excuses

but this year, how many times has he posted up? and how many times do you think that pau would of missed the WHOLE RIM ON THE BLOCK, compared the DWIGHT?

i mean come on, dwight is the best center in the league, but the best post player? hes light years away from that.

and like i said how many times has he posted up? hardly none, and even last year, he was out in the perimeter? shooting 15 foot J's? i mean how consistent do you want a 7 footer to shoot 15 foot J's in ther perimeter?

yes adjustments are needed in this clown offense of ours that forces our players to adjust to the system rather than UTILIZE OUR PLAYERS TALENTS.

i dont know how anyone would blame PAU to sit in the PERIMETER and be EFFECTIVE,taking 15 FOOTER JUMPSHOTS.

yes his last year with phil we was gone from the playoffs, but this guy you guys clown, this guys u guys blame so much is the REASON FOR OUR FAILURE? AND NOT THE BEST CENTER IN THE LEAGUE? which get stripped and missed the rim completely when he "wants in the block" and just stops the offense?

MDA cannot coach dwight, and i solely feel like its because of the contract situation.

i mean of course kobe isnt going to listen to him, why would d12?

defend jim buss all you want, but this was a horrible, horrible coaching hire.

sorry for the long post, im fracking drunk
LooN3y

Postby LooN3y on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:23 pm

khmrP wrote:^^^no matter how ineffective Pau is anywhere on the floor, the last place I want him to be is in the corners shootings 3's.

i was expecting get rid of him right away. cmon man he had a solid game for some one that came off an injury and all the game he missed, man if we rode him (besides the minute managing for his tendinitis) he would of had better stats.

and im not a stats guy, this guy was in the flow of the offense, and he gave effort on D.

its plain idiocracy (pun intended) to have him on the 3 point line, even at 15 foot consistently.
LooN3y

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:29 pm

i missed cursing Pau's name during a game...been a while since i yelled 'C'MON PAU'

he looked ok last night...i only had a couple of those moments...not the usual 8-10
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby JLaker17 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Pau is most effective at C, he is not a true 4, especially in this offense. This is why he excelled when with the second unit.
JLaker17

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion