Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby rick on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:12 pm

August 14, 2012 11:45 AM EDT
On Friday, the Lakers pulled off the biggest trade of the summer by finally acquiring Dwight Howard.

After dealing for both Howard and Steve Nash in the span of a few weeks, Los Angeles might be done making any more moves this offseason. But even after making two big trades, could L.A. be in the market for another star player?
Hawks power forward Josh Smith has been on the Lakers radar since last season ended. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, L.A. recently tried to deal Pau Gasol for Smith. Atlanta rejected the offer because Los Angeles wanted the Hawks to give up another good player, along with Smith.

The Lakers have come close to dealing Gasol on multiple occasions in the past year. They sent him to Houston in December in a trade that netted them Chris Paul, but the deal was ultimately vetoed by NBA Commissioner David Stern.

He was also in the talks last week that ultimately sent Howard to L.A. There were reports that Gasol would be headed to Orlando, but Los Angeles managed to hold on to him.
Atlanta might only be willing to come to an agreement with L.A. if they can do a straight up swap of the two players. Smith is five years younger than Gasol and probably had the better 2011-2012 season. The eighth-year player registered career highs with 18.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game. Gasol averaged a career low 17.4 points per contest and was left off the All-Star team for the first time in three years.

A deal is still possible, though, because of Smith's level of unhappiness in Atlanta. He wants to be traded and could leave the Hawks when he becomes a free agent in 2013. If Atlanta wants to make sure they don't lose their star for nothing, they might look to move him before the start of the season for the best available package.

While Los Angeles is now one of the favorites to win the NBA title, they are one of the oldest teams in the league. Kobe Bryant, Gasol and Nash have played a combined 43 years in the NBA. Howard is still young, but the Lakers age might prevent them from being great for an extended period of time. L.A. might be looking to trade Gasol for a younger piece that will keep them competitive for years to come.

The one reservation the Lakers might have in making a deal is Smith's contract status. They were initially leery of acquiring Howard because he wouldn't give them a guarantee that he'd re-sign with them. It's also likely that Smith would wait until next summer to sign an extension. There's a chance that the Lakers could trade Gasol and Bynum in the same offseason, and be left with nothing in less than a year.

Fortunately for Los Angeles, Howard and Smith have a very good relationship. Howard is from Atlanta and the two are very good friends. Acquiring Smith might be the final nail in the coffin to keep Howard from signing with Dallas as a free agent.

Nothing is imminent, but there are rumors that the trade could be revisted soon.

A swap of Gasol and Smith would make sense for both teams. The Lakers would get younger and move one step closer to keeping Howard in L.A. for the long-term. The Hawks would get a veteran player with championship experience and receive compensation for Smith should he leave as a free agent.

With the additions of Howard, Nash and possibly Smith, the Lakers could be a completely different team next season.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/373565/ ... -gasol.htm
rick

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:19 pm

I wouldn't mind if a trade went down. If they do it's blatantly obvious why they pulled the trigger on the deal and I can understand it from that perspective.

Defensively we would be a monster, offensively J-Smoove would need to tone down the, I can shoot 3's if I want to act and stop the chucking, but I don't think he would have the ball in his hands as much as he did on the Hawks or chuck as much with the weapons we have here.

Nash would be throwing oops left and right between Howard and Smith. :man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:29 pm

Again, with Kobe sticking his neck out for Pau, I just don't see it.

I was behind the Pau for Smith trade a long time ago and I personally think it would help us in the long term, but Pau is here to stay in my opinion.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Dwight and Smith are a great fit defensively, but not offensively. Neither really spaces the floor so it wouldn't work. Pau can space the floor which is why he and Dwight fit so well together.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby kray28 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm

Trading Pau for Smith would make us considerably worse. I just don't see it.
kray28

Postby gcclaker on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Never was sold on Smith. No question he's athletic but freelances too much for my taste. Great on the open floor but doesn't have a multifaceted overall game in half court sets when the pace slows to a crawl and possessions are at a premium.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm

I liked the idea of smith with bynum but pau fits better with howard in my opinion. Pau's passing will be huge with dwight.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby karacha on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:47 pm

I would not do this. Pau is a perfect fit for this team and there is absolutely no need to experiment with a Smith/Howard combo.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:40 pm

karacha wrote:I would not do this. Pau is a perfect fit for this team and there is absolutely no need to experiment with a Smith/Howard combo.

+1
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Center Court on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:51 pm

Smith might be Dwight's boy, but I think Dwight knows Pau is the far better mate on the court.

Besides, he is not leaving LA, so if the argument is that it will help keep him here, it's bogus.
Center Court

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:30 pm

karacha wrote:I would not do this. Pau is a perfect fit for this team and there is absolutely no need to experiment with a Smith/Howard combo.

Agreed. Pau's passing ability to Howard will be amazing
Ariza3

Postby John3:16 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:55 pm

I'm not against trading for Smith, however, he can't play center and we're gonna need Pau manning the 5 until DHoward comes back from injury.

I'm one of Gasol's biggest critics on this board, but even I want to see him with Nash.

We've got 2 amazing P&R combos with Nash/Howard on one side and Kobe/Gasol on the other (parts interchangeable of course).

Pass on this trade, for now.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Finwë wrote:

+1

+2. I'm not a big Smith fan at all. I'm ready to see Pau in action with Nash and Howard. I would never do that trade.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:03 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Smith is one of dumbest sob in the NBA but cheaper than Pau, I can see Lakers doing it after this season

he's due for an ext. and will more than likely expect MAX, so he wont be that much cheaper than Pau
khmrP

Postby JSM on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 pm

Josh is more than welcomed to come to LA and join Dwight...when Kobe and Pau retire.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby last stand on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:39 pm

I want pau to get one more shot with us. He changed this franchise and I'd love for him to get some more rings insuring a place HOF
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby KB24 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:38 am

With Nash, getting Smith would make us an insane fastbreak team.

Just imagine....holy crap lol. Nash would have the most athletic front court of all times to feed the ball to.

We would literally be Air Lakers. And Smith is another insane help defender. Our D would be through the roof.
I would do it. Cheaper, younger, more in line with Mike Brown. Gasol has 1,2 years left to be irrelevant.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:25 am

I don't think we would win anything with Josh as our starting PF as talented as he is ... Can't rely on him at all in key playoffs moments ... a much more talented PF version of Shannon Brown ..
Plus when it comes to halfcourt offense he's a terrible fit
wcsoldier81

Postby dj vitus on Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm

If it means anything, I found on Hoopsworld that Pau's 15% trade kicker doesn't affect his salary since it is already over the max.

Not sure if that was old news, but just wanted to mention it since I remember seeing some articles about how difficult it would be to trade him with the trade kicker.

That said, I haven't seen much of Smith, but according to their overall stats and shot statistics, it looks like Gasol is a much better outside shooter so I don't know if I'd do that trade. But perhaps with the addition of Nash, we should try putting a better defensive team together since the offense would take care of itself in a way...
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 pm

Maybe we can finally hook Houston up after the season? They got cap space and a bunch of power forwards :man10:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby 24K GOLD on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:59 am

Pau (and Marc's) brother to walk-in on UCLA.

http://yhoo.it/Q89joQ
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:04 am

24K GOLD wrote:Pau (and Marc's) brother to walk-in on UCLA.

He is not really into basketball from what I understand. But at a legit 6'10, UCLA isn't gambling much and may have a project to develop into a rotation player.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby therealdeal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:28 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Pau (and Marc's) brother to walk-in on UCLA.

He is not really into basketball from what I understand. But at a legit 6'10, UCLA isn't gambling much and may have a project to develop into a rotation player.

Jesus what a tall freaking family... when the youngest brother is 6'10" and the shortest one out of the bunch that's a BIG family...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Do it Mitch!
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby ChumsGum on Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 pm

don't know if this is worthy of its own thread but pau and marc's little brother adria is now a bruin.
ChumsGum

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion