Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion

Postby The Rock on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Pau didn't post up much last season and still averaged 17 points and 10 boards on 50 percent shooting. He was an exceptional mid range jump shooter last season. This season he's just missing wide open shots. I would expect that as this season goes on those shots will start to fall and Pau will have another season of shooting over 50 percent.

He posted up a lot more last year. Way more., Metta is taking a bigger role in offense this year and hence lesser shot opportunities for Pau. Pau is the better player he should be posting up and demanding the ball but thats not Pau's nature.

Pau is shooting 40% for the year which is pathetic for a big man...its even worse considering he plays next to Kobe and Howard and gets soooo many open looks.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 pm

When he's out there with Dwight he should be spaced out and shooting those midrange. When Pau is in there with the bench he should be posting up. The post Hill up more than Pau in that unit which is dumb. need to fix that bc even if it gets Pau 2-3 more shots it'll be worth it. Hill needs to just be rebounding and if he hits that j consistently I can be okay with that occasionally
Ariza3

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:38 pm

I just don't see how we keep him with D'antoni.. He's going to be asked to become even more of a stretch 4 & his shot just flat out isn't there this season.. It's hard to give him up for another 4 because he's still the most skilled big in the game. We're not going to get a better player, but a better fit with some shooters is about as good as it's going to get. If he goes to a team next to a jumpshooting big, I'd almost guarantee he returns to his 19/9 self. We'll give up the better player but we can still get better if we get a Ryan Anderson type in return.
lakersin4

Postby thkthebest on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:56 pm

People keep talking about how the Lakers have the "obvious" intention of trading Gasol.

You don't sign a coach with the intention of trading one of your best players. That makes no sense. You sign a coach that you believe would get the most out of your current team.

Mitch is not thinking, "D'Antoni is better than all the other coaches, but Pau doesn't fit his style. If we manage to sign D'Antoni, we'll trade Pau."

Mitch is probably thinking, "D'Antoni is not the best. That's Phil, but with our current team, D'Antoni might be the best fit."

Gasol's midrange jumper is off right now, but he has shot at least 42+% from midrange for his entire career (above average). That jumper is not suddenly going to disappear. Unlike other players, his shooting numbers have been very consistent throughout his career.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Alcindor on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 pm

thkthebest wrote:People keep talking about how the Lakers have the "obvious" intention of trading Gasol.

You don't sign a coach with the intention of trading one of your best players. That makes no sense. You sign a coach that you believe would get the most out of your current team.

Mitch is not thinking, "D'Antoni is better than all the other coaches, but Pau doesn't fit his style. If we manage to sign D'Antoni, we'll trade Pau."

Mitch is probably thinking, "D'Antoni is not the best. That's Phil, but with our current team, D'Antoni might be the best fit."

Gasol's midrange jumper is off right now, but he has shot at least 42+% from midrange for his entire career (above average). That jumper is not suddenly going to disappear. Unlike other players, his shooting numbers have been very consistent throughout his career.

Well we also can't not hire a certain coach just because our 4th best player might go on the block.

We need to see what D'Antonio can do with him but looking at it, it seems like a poor fit. We are misusing him right now. He needs to attack the rim. Look at his shot chart this year:

at rim: .679
3-9 ft: .226 (wtf that's pathetic)
10-15: .357
16-3pt: .387
3pts: .200

Terribul from the left corner and left short corner. He needs to be inside getting dunks, tips, a lay up here and there and he'll be .575 guy. Forget those weak hooks and forget that jumper. No one is stepping out 15+ to guard him. It's messed up, we can't even showcase him because D12 is in the middle.

I hope Rubio enlists Love to persuade Adelman to take him so we can get some 3-team deal together (Smith/Korver/Barea to LAL, D Williams/Pekovic to ATL). I think next to Love Pau would be really good again.
Alcindor

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:39 pm

Watching the Clips/Heat game...and wow...Pau actually got us CP3. Can you even imagine him on this team? No disrespect to Nash, but a part of me always secretly wanted to flip Nash for CP3 if there was a way. I guess with Dantoni, that probably won't happen now.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 pm

^^^Scratch that...we got Dantoni...go dual set PG backcourt with Nash and CP3 & move Kob to the 3. Its possible with a S&T with the Clips this summer.

Now how do we make Pau into a fat trade exemption...hmmm?

/pipe
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

:man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby odom1year on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:05 am

I dont blame Pau for the last shot. Actually it's a good shot and having enough space for him taking the 3. It's just a nearly miss. So let's move on. Kobe took lots of stupid and tough shots before. So let's move on.
odom1year

Postby Alcindor on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 am

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^Scratch that...we got Dantoni...go dual set PG backcourt with Nash and CP3 & move Kob to the 3. Its possible with a S&T with the Clips this summer.

Now how do we make Pau into a fat trade exemption...hmmm?

/pipe

Tax teams can't do S&Ts anymore if they are 4 mil over the tax line after the trade.
Alcindor

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:13 am

^^^Nash trade?
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alcindor on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 am

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^Nash trade?

Alcindor wrote:Tax teams can't do S&Ts anymore if they are 4 mil over the tax line after the trade.
Alcindor

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:47 am

^^^
You're right that starting 2013-14, teams that are 4M about the threshold (71M) can't do a S&T. The Lakers will be at 77M committed. So you can either amnesty Metta or convince him to exercise that ETO...maybe even trade him since he is in his last year. Also you can move Duhon/Blake. So its possible, but unlikely.

A backcourt of Nash/CP3 would be bonkers...but as mentioned before...pipe.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:54 am

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^
You're right that starting 2013-14, teams that are 4M about the threshold (71M) can't do a S&T. The Lakers will be at 77M committed. So you can either amnesty Metta or convince him to exercise that ETO...maybe even trade him since he is in his last year. Also you can move Duhon/Blake. So its possible, but unlikely.

A backcourt of Nash/CP3 would be bonkers...but as mentioned before...pipe.

Some restrictions kicked in later. S&T is one of them.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kobebryant248 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:50 am

man wtf some guys are thinking. trade nash for cp3 or what. are you guys dreamer ? did you ever heard the word support your team ? nash hasn t played yet so much for us and some of you guys think get rid of em , are you serious ? are your real fans ? once nash is back and healthy he will be fine. and by the way i don t want that f. flopper cp3 on the lakers roster . :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
kobebryant248

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 am

thats just great, same morons sending death threats to Mike Brown's sons on twitter are sending them to Pau

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 pm

:disagree:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby khmrP on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:32 pm

The Rock wrote:thats just great, same morons sending death threats to Mike Brown's sons on twitter are sending them to Pau

internent tough guys, if only this was made a crime and authorities can use IP tracking.
khmrP

Postby Jordan-esque on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 pm

You could actually see who these morons are. Just use the search feature and search for @PauGasol on twitter and you can see what people are tweeting him.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Gawd do I hate fanatics. And they want to harm one of the most humanitarian players in the NBA!
F'n losers! :mad1:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jordan-esque on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:34 pm

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40paugasol&src=typd

Wait a few and it will populate with what people are tweeting Pau.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm

I don't like Pau's play on the court, within in the boundaries of the court, but as soon as he steps off the court he is literally probably one of the nicest and caring people out there.

Hate on his game yes, but if you want to wish death on somebody because of basketball, that's just pathetic.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby John3:16 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I don't like Pau's play on the court, within in the boundaries of the court, but as soon as he steps off the court he is literally probably one of the nicest and caring people out there.

Hate on his game yes, but if you want to wish death on somebody because of basketball, that's just pathetic.

Agree 100%. People threatening death (or wishing it) are pathetic.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:32 pm

he's just a gentleman really. basketball wasn't his first choice or dream. I think he wanted to be a doctor which explains a lot about his personality. other than not having that "fire" or aggressiveness he's a phenomenal player and a extremely talented big guy. his "softness" faults his game but he still walks into a double double every game which is unreal if you think about it.

I had an idea. it may be unorthodox and not the smartest but what if we started Jamison at the 4 and made
Pau the backup C who also plays big mins with the starters. essentially starting the game with Jamison, giving him some open looks and layups with Nash and then Pau comes
in and anchors the bench and plays with the starters to finish the game like harden did with okc and most other 6th men in the league. idk if it would work but Pau is really just a spacer with the starters for Howard and Jamison can hit that midrange as well as a 3 as well as cutting layups which I think would work very well with Nash. having that many 3 point shooters and still
keeping size would be good. D wouldn't be as good but Jamison has been showing he can defend recently. I obviously doubt it would happen bc Pau is a great starter but would that lineup do well you think? I think with paus inability to get in the post with Dwight it would be better to have Jamison spread the floor more and also cut a lot and then have Pau play in the post with Jordan hill rebounding and stuff and then that would open up more shots for Meeks as the D has to respect Pau in the post and also that would give Howard more rest esp if he's in foul trouble. and Pau can easily school any backup pf or center IMO. and then he can finish the game and we can have our size rested to finish the game off
Ariza3

Postby gcclaker on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Nash has two options on the pick and roll...Howard being the main one. Gasol is the secondary option. I just don't see or am comfy with him off pick and pops. Tha face up J of his is not exactly smooth...slow developing with a funky release. Gasol is better off when he rolls to the cup after gathering the pass...just like he does with 24. That is when he doesn't have a case of fumble-itis.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion