Pau Appreciation: UnBullievable, no S&T - Thx 4 the Memories

Would you re-sign Pau for ~7 million per?

Yes
38%
No
52%
Maybe (explain)
8%

Total votes : 136

Re: Pau Gasol Discussion: Raptors, TWolves want Pau - p230

Postby escobar8 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:Bargnani is not exactly a dead eye shooter. He's had like 2-3 good three point shooting years...last of which was 2010. And it's certainly not because he is lacking shot attempts.

i know he is not shooting good this year...but he is beter shooter than pau...his career averages are 1.5 made 3p on 36% , which is not bad...
plus lets give him same excuse... he would flourish with nash...
escobar8

Postby JLaker17 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:51 pm

We won't get a player to equal Pau's talents, but with trading him we should get some younger athletic players who fit the system. Pau doesn't fit the system at all, we need players that do.
JLaker17

Postby borri on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:08 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:lol sessions? please, dude CHOSE to leave the team with his player option, and he totally choked in the playoffs.

I don't blame him. Potato Head was still the coach. Sessions is perfect for MD's system.

Second, Sessions wasn't the only one who played bad in the playoffs for us. And yes, Barnes would also have a been a good fit for MD's system.
borri

Postby themasterphil on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:25 pm

We have Mitch, he will find some trade partners and improve the team....i am sure of that, he is a trade master, you put this in his hands
themasterphil

Postby NeeJee on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:36 pm

Bargnani is forced to be "the man" on his team which is why his numbers look so bad. He's not a player who can carry an entire team on his back and his stats and team record shows that. Now just imagine he joins a team with Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and Ron. Not only will his stats increase, but we'll see what this guy actually has to offer.
NeeJee

Postby endzonecrazy on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:49 pm

Personally I think our best trade goes through Minnesota but with help from the Hawks.

Gasol + Metta to Minnesota

Kirilenko to Lakers

Josh Smith to Lakers

Whatever Atlanta wants for Josh Smith from Minnesota

Now that would be a stiff defense with a significant upgrade to our athleticism. Let Jammison be our stretch
4 and have Josh cutting to the hoop which is what he does best.
endzonecrazy

Postby Alcindor on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:51 pm

NeeJee wrote:Bargnani is forced to be "the man" on his team which is why his numbers look so bad. He's not a player who can carry an entire team on his back and his stats and team record shows that. Now just imagine he joins a team with Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and Ron. Not only will his stats increase, but we'll see what this guy actually has to offer.

Just because a player is a terrible #1 doesn't automatically make them "thrive" @ a #3 or #4 spot. A #3 or #4 player needs to bring something else (energy/hustle/defense) besides being able to hit an open 3 at a so-so rate. Why would being forced to be a #1 make your #s look bad if you have talent? If you think Barg has something that's being held back I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken.
Alcindor

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm

Center Court wrote:Bargnani... ugh. People are so worried about shooting they are forgetting D. Andrea makes Pau look like Mike Tyson. No thanks.

IMO when Pau's knees heal up and bit and nash comes back, he'll fit much better. Not dominant, but much better.

^^ I agree. It seems like most of the names that are being seriously thrown around here Bargnani, Stoudemire . . . are a lot worse than a healthy Pau on the defensive end.

I'm waaaay in the minority here, but I totally agree with Mitch on this one. I don't want us doing any more moves until we see what we have in action. I want to see all four HOF players on the court healthy together and see what D' Antoni can do with them. In the meantime, I like what's been going on with our bench guys under D' Antoni (except Hill who is being a little underutilized, but he's still playing well).

Especially as Nash apparently voiced his opinion in the summer that he wanted to play with Pau, and also because Kobe loves Pau (even if he's berating him a little with the big boy pants - that's just to light a fuse under him). I think this lineup could be real contender. I have my concerns about D' Antoni's system taking them over the hump (lack of defensive focus, running and gunning leading to poor transition D against younger teams), but I want him to have a chance and I want this personnel to have a chance. The best way to do that is to be patient and let these two guys heal up.

Hopefully we get both Pau and Nash back and healthy within the next few weeks. That will give us some time before the deadline to see how they all play together. I'm looking forward to that.

The FO at least knows that there are some interested trading partners if it comes down to trading Pau. But again, I think he will have more value next season anyway.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:00 pm

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Timberwolves president David Kahn is pouring cold water on the seemingly endless speculation surrounding the team's interest in Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol.

Kahn called an impromptu news conference on Friday to adamantly dispute reports that the Wolves were offering a package including Derrick Williams and Nikola Pekovic to the Lakers for Gasol. Kahn says he hasn't had discussions with the Lakers since June.

The Wolves have long been rumored to be interested in Gasol. But Kahn says the Wolves are waiting to see what they have when Ricky Rubio returns from a knee injury before making any decisions on the roster.

Rubio could make his season debut as early as next week, a little over nine months after tearing the ACL in his left knee.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 pm

I personally think Pau will carry more value as an expiring contract next season than he will this season. On top of that, the offers for him are mediocre. An injured Stoudemire? Derrick Williams? Bargnani? I think Mitch is right. Hold on to him for now and for later when his market value improves with an expiring contract.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:03 pm

revgen wrote:I personally think Pau will carry more value as an expiring contract next season than he will this season. On top of that, the offers for him are mediocre. An injured Stoudemire? Derrick Williams? Bargnani? I think Mitch is right. Hold on to him for now and for later when his market value improves with an expiring contract.

Agree. Next year it won't be "Gasol" being traded. It will be teams seeking to trade for a $20 million "expiring contract".
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:04 pm

revgen wrote:I personally think Pau will carry more value as an expiring contract next season than he will this season. On top of that, the offers for him are mediocre. An injured Stoudemire? Derrick Williams? Bargnani? I think Mitch is right. Hold on to him for now and for later when his market value improves with an expiring contract.

^^ Agreed 100%.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:22 pm

LOL wrote:i thik we are underestimating mitch. i know base on our mortal views we cant get much for pau. but mitch is mitch.i heard he once convinced a man to trade a 5dollar for his 1dollar.

W're not getting Love, Aldridge, Josh Smith, etc...

Ryan Anderson he can somehow snatch I believe, but no star players

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby karacha on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:23 pm

I don't think Pau is going to be traded. I also don't think his value is high right now. Better to use him as an expiring contract, because that's huge. People who are hoping that Mitch can get a (star) player who can shoot the three and also defend.... yeah, well, that's not going to happen.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakerFan1980 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm

A Robert Horry type stretch 4 would be ideal. Are there any PF's like him today? Defense and clutch 3 pt shooting? I miss that.
WE PAY CASH FOR HOUSES
424-216-8525
LakerFan1980

Postby Weezy on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:46 pm

John3:16 wrote:

Agree. Next year it won't be "Gasol" being traded. It will be teams seeking to trade for a $20 million "expiring contract".

While I believe this is true also, we can't really afford to waste a year or Kobe and Nash's career waiting to make a trade to better the team. We also can't afford to lose in the 2nd round again and expect to automatically keep Dwight. The offers for Pau that have been reported aren't great, but if we even get a good one we should probably take it if it helps save this season.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:53 pm

look if they really want pau, do what philly did because they really wanted bynum. find another team to make an attractive offer and get it done. straight up trades aren't happening with pau. lakers will want too much, pau's contract is high, and those 2 teams don't have much to offer.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:57 pm

Weezy wrote:

While I believe this is true also, we can't really afford to waste a year or Kobe and Nash's career waiting to make a trade to better the team. We also can't afford to lose in the 2nd round again and expect to automatically keep Dwight. The offers for Pau that have been reported aren't great, but if we even get a good one we should probably take it if it helps save this season.

Weezy - I get being down on Pau, I have been disappointed in him for the past two years, but I don't think Kobe and Nash believe they are wasting this year playing alongside Pau. In fact I think it's entirely the opposite. Kobe's always had his back and Nash purportedly told Mitch that he wanted to play with Pau this year and didn't want to see him traded. So I think we need to be patient and see how it all plays out. Sounds like they aren't going to make a move before seeing this team play together, and I agree with that.

If they aren't playing well by the deadline, that'll be a different story.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:03 pm

the plus about the rise of jamison is that we now have the ability to trade pau for a PF or SF

that opens a ton up for us. if Danny Granger was healthy that'd be the best option but he's not unfortunately and if nicolas batum wasn't so awesome he'd be a perfect fit as well. hell i'd make a call to portland just to make an attempt

pau for batum and hickson and pray that they bite
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Greatest of All Time on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't think Pau Gasol would even be effective if they used him as a 6th man. If the rest of your bench is mediocre, you need an explosive ballhandler/scorer who can create for himself and others.

D Whistle is slowly starting to become a shell of himself. Like Pau, it's only going to get worse.

Greatest of All Time

Postby purp n gold on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:34 pm

T-Wolves want Pau. The problem: no one wants Derrick Williams
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Weezy on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
Weezy wrote:

Weezy - I get being down on Pau, I have been disappointed in him for the past two years, but I don't think Kobe and Nash believe they are wasting this year playing alongside Pau. In fact I think it's entirely the opposite. Kobe's always had his back and Nash purportedly told Mitch that he wanted to play with Pau this year and didn't want to see him traded. So I think we need to be patient and see how it all plays out. Sounds like they aren't going to make a move before seeing this team play together, and I agree with that.

If they aren't playing well by the deadline, that'll be a different story.

I get what you're saying, but like you said you've been disappointed in Pau for 2 years. I've been patient with him since the 2011 playoffs, waiting for the old Pau to return, and it's not happening, I'm pretty much done with him. That said, I don't love the trade offers out there already, so no rush to trade him as long as he's sitting out. Is it too soon to call Derrick Williams a bust, for example? He sure looks like one to me so far.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:45 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:
LOL wrote:i thik we are underestimating mitch. i know base on our mortal views we cant get much for pau. but mitch is mitch.i heard he once convinced a man to trade a 5dollar for his 1dollar.

W're not getting Love, Aldridge, Josh Smith, etc...

Ryan Anderson he can somehow snatch I believe, but no star players

Just wait 'til one of them is "disgruntled" and then magically becomes a Laker. Isn't that how we got Gasol and Dwight (and to a lesser extent, Nash) in the first place? :man1:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby King of Clutch on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Greatest of All Time wrote:I don't think Pau Gasol would even be effective if they used him as a 6th man. If the rest of your bench is mediocre, you need an explosive ballhandler/scorer who can create for himself and others.

D Whistle is slowly starting to become a shell of himself. Like Pau, it's only going to get worse.

:man4: ........... :man13:.............. :man1: ................... :freak2: ................... :man10: :man10: :man10: Not happening in this dimension...
King of Clutch

Postby Greatest of All Time on Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:50 pm

Mitch would have to pull some crazy deal to do anything with Pau's expiring contract because they have no other assets. I believe the only picks they have left are a 2014 second round pick and another 2014 second round pick from the Nuggets that's like top 55 protected and the conditions don't carry on to the next season if the pick is 55 or below. A $20 million expiring alone won't get them a star. And if they trade him for depth, they risk their 2014 plan.
Greatest of All Time

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion